• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3: Blizzard Mountain Expansion - coming December 13th

Head.spawn

Did your game break this weekend too?! Mine was running at an acceptable state on Friday and now the sound is all messed up and it runs at 5fps regardless of my settings. PM me if you don't want to discuss here.

5fps?

Try doing a clean-boot and see if it isn't something you have running causing a problem.

I know some borderless window games I play, if something else loads with always-on top priority or whatever, the framerate tanks until I click back onto the actual game.

Maybe it's something similar?

some people might have a magic copy of forza like how you got a magic copy of the crew

I think I do. It never had ANY big stutter issues since day 1, and other than the 40fps drop at Surfer's Paradise it is basically 99% a 60fps lock. Trust me I'm very picky on frame drops or stutters if it has any on my PC I'll know. On my work PC with an i5 and a 960 locking it to 30fps at high preset is also very solid. I'm basically lost at what the hell caused all the performance issues for you guys in the performance thread.

Peterthumpa

Won't touch until they fix the PC-version.

Seriously, it's the worst AAA PC-port I've seen. It's still completely unplayable with 6700K 4.5GHz + 32GB 3200MHz + GTX1080 8GB + NVMe SSD, and now they have the audacity to charge for this crap.

lol, took less than half a page. A rig like yours and the game is unplayable? I have a GTX 980 TI and I can play at 1440p with 90% over 60 FPS, no stuttering, nothing. Your experience isn't the norm.

lol, took less than half a page. A rig like yours and the game is unplayable? I have a GTX 980 TI and I can play at 1440p with 90% over 60 FPS, no stuttering, nothing. Your experience isn't the norm.

I never said my experience is the norm. It has been reported by a lot of users, however.

The framerate is solid, but the stuttering is crazy. I'm getting 36-48fps @ 5K. This is currently my experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KZ_0LoI1Tk&t=57s

Also, no sound, for some reason.

shpankey

not an idiot
I just want to add... a couple of settings that REALLY made it butter smooth for me. Granted, again, using a G-Sync monitor here, so ymmv.

All settings set to Ultra, except I make sure the resolution matches my monitor (some reason it chooses a higher res on Auto). So I highly recommend you check that setting and make it matches your monitor output. That was the first big step for me to smooth things out. Next...

Full Screen = On
Motion Blur = On
Framerate = Unlocked (variable)
Vsync = Off
Smooth Framerate = On
MSAA = 4x
FXAA = On
Dynamic Optimization = Off

... using this, mine seems to stay locked around 68fps on the indicator, with no drops (that I can tell) and the play is butter smooth, and the graphics jaw dropping. Night time in the rain with a full moon is a site to behold. The weather and skies in this game is insane. Be sure to turn on Smooth Framerate... for me, that got rid of some weird hiccups.

If someone could tell me how you do the video capture, I could get a sample for you. Though I was told awhile back turning off the xbox dvr was one of the major issues causing the weird jumpiness, so I turned it off. Something else you might try.

I just want to add... a couple of settings that REALLY made it butter smooth for me. Granted, again, using a G-Sync monitor here, so ymmv.

All setting set to Ultra, except I make sure the resolution matches my monitor (some reason it chooses a higher res on Auto).

Full Screen = On
Motion Blur = On
Framerate = Unlocked (variable)
Vsync = Off
Smooth Framerate = On
MSAA = 4x
FXAA = On
Dynamic Optimization = Off

... using this, mine seems to stay locked around 68fps on the indicator, with no drops (that I can tell) and the play is butter smooth, and the graphics jaw dropping. Night time in the rain with a full moon is a site to behold. The weather and skies in this game is insane.

I'm also using G-Sync, but it can only be enabled on native resolutions.

And with native 1440p + 8xMSAA maxed out I get 80fps which creates stuttering hell.

I'm using the same settings, outside of 8xMSAA + no smooth framerate. Smooth framerate makes the game go slow-mo when the stuttering happens.

shpankey

not an idiot
I don't know then. But that's the exact settings I'm using. You may try the xbox dvr off trick. Other than that, I don't know what else it could be tbh. I'm more than happy to provide a clip of mine if that would help. I don't have any slow mo issues, but turning on smooth framerate really made that final difference for me. You may try it on again, with the exact settings. You never know... maybe something was different last time you had it on.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I still haven't finished all the events in FH3 but I'm slowly chipping away (at about 70% completion). This expansion sounds pretty awesome and is a nice change of scenery. Sold.

leng jai

I'll probably get this even though I bought the PC version. 4K/30fps is playable to me, there's definitely input lag on my setup but certainly not unplayable. What's with people saying 2-3 seconds though? That sounds absurd.

Peterthumpa

I never said it is the norm. It has been reported by a lot of users, however.

The framerate is solid, but the stuttering is crazy. I'm getting 36-48fps @ 5K. This is currently my experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KZ_0LoI1Tk&t=57s

Also, no sound, for some reason.

Do you get the same results when playing in lower resolutions? Like 1440p? I mean, I know that you have the "right" to have the best IQ possible with your rig, but calling it unplayable is a bit far fetched if you're pushing resolutions that even a 1080 can't handle.

Do you get the same results when playing in lower resolutions? Like 1440p? I mean, I know that you have the "right" to have the best IQ possible with your rig, but calling it unplayable is a bit far fetched if you're pushing resolutions that even a 1080 can't handle.

Oh, it's the same no matter the resolution/settings. I'd play in 1440p if I could (and benefit from the higher framerate), but the fact is it "performs" better (i.e. less stuttering) at lower framerates.

I also have a 980Ti. 60fps 90% of the time isn't good enough (I don't get drops in Surfer's Paradise at all btw). Especially when dropping the res/settings does practically nothing and you're running a fixed refresh display. Go and play Rain-forest Escape street race and watch your system choke. Any game that can't manage twice the framerate of the console version on a 980Ti/high-end i7 is a total lemon.

DocSeuss

It's honestly the worst state of a PC-port I've ever seen. It's still unplayable with 6700K 4.5GHz + 32GB 3200MHz + GTX1080 8GB + NVMe SSD. I've reformated, changed computer (upgraded from 4790K + 970) and tried every trick in the book.

That's really frustrating. I have a worse computer and it runs flawlessly for me.

Gestault

My performance has been pretty much ideal for a 60 fps target since the last few rounds of updates, and things weren't too bad before that (just the Surf City hitching). I'll probably be playing some tonight after work, and I'll report back anything dramatic. I'm about to update the hotfix Nvidia drivers from a day or so ago.

LostDonkey

I also have a 980Ti. 60fps 90% of the time isn't good enough (I don't get drops in Surfer's Paradise at all btw). Especially when dropping the res/settings does practically nothing and you're running a fixed refresh display. Go and play Rain-forest Escape street race and watch your system choke. Any game that can't manage twice the framerate of the console version on a 980Ti/high-end i7 is a total lemon.

Oh come on. This is hyperbolic at best. The game literally drops to 45fps for a split second at the start of the race during the chaos and then it's 60fps.

I've just tested this on my system.

16gb ddr4
1080p ultra settings

The Xbox isn't running ultra settings either and probably uses that dynamic stuff to keep framerate solid.

The game holds 60fps 99% of the time at 1080p ultra on my rig.

shpankey

not an idiot
Just wanted to add, not only did we just get the nvidia HOTFIX driver update, which fixed a major, major issue with them that could be causing these issues, BUT...

BRAND NEW FORZA 3 PATCH OUT FOLKS! weeee

DarkestHour

Banned
Just wanted to add, not only did we just get the nvidia HOTFIX driver update, which fixed a major, major issue with them that could be causing these issues, BUT...

BRAND NEW FORZA 3 PATCH OUT FOLKS! weeee

What nvidia hot fix? Didn't 376.09 come out yesterday?

DAWG

Just yesterday I was playing this game and I noticed that hulking mountain in the far-off background. I thought for a second, "how cool would it be if DLC let me go there?", but figured it would never be.

This is my shit

Oh come on. This is hyperbolic at best. The game literally drops to 45fps for a split second at the start of the race during the chaos and then it's 60fps.

16gb ddr4
1080p ultra settings

The Xbox isn't running ultra settings either and probably uses that dynamic stuff to keep framerate solid.

Drops to 45fps on a 980Ti at 1080p is crap (especially for a racing game on a fixed refresh display) and your standards are through the floor. If you can name a worse performing game on PC, I'm all ears. Because I know I certainly haven't played one (and that included AK). The PC version also has 'that dynamic stuff' but it's completely broken and does nothing.

Drops to 45fps on a 980Ti at 1080p is crap (especially for a racing game on a fixed refresh display) and your standards are through the floor. If you can name a worse performing game on PC, I'm all ears. Because I know I certainly haven't played one (and that included AK). The PC version also has 'that dynamic stuff' but it's completely broken and does nothing.

Pre-patch Dishonored 2? Telltale's Batman?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Still can't understand why this was announced and detailed with ZERO media

Widge

16gb ddr4
1080p ultra settings

And to add to this. I'd not be fussed at 100% the same performance of a console version if it meant I got to play a decent game or not.

I was happy Dark Souls crossed the divide and it's bare minimum benefit was addressing Blighttown.

rainz

So is this actually set in Australia? Does it reuse areas or is it a brand new map?

There is a snowy mountain that you can see off in the distance I believe, at least i think so, I'd have to check again, but the last few times I played i have noticed it... Pretty sure that is where it would be set.. Representing the Blue Mountains in Australia probably.

It's honestly the worst state of a PC-port I've ever seen. It's still unplayable with 6700K 4.5GHz + 32GB 3200MHz + GTX1080 8GB + NVMe SSD. I've reformated, changed computer (upgraded from 4790K + 970) and tried every trick in the book.

Weird, I have 6700k with a 980ti, both overclocked, and I play at 4K with a mix of high/ultra and medium settings and get 50-60fps mostly.

LostDonkey

Drops? It's one drop at the start of the race...for half a second...

My standards aren't through the floor at all otherwise I would be on Console and wouldn't have spent the money on the rig I have. You're just blowing things way out of proportion.

As for worse performing games, how about Project Cars (still drops to low 40s in the rain on my rig) Assetto Corsa (for the first 2 years) dropped frames regularly. You obviously have never played Sebastien Loeb Rally....there are plenty worse performing games especially in the racing genre.

shpankey

not an idiot
What nvidia hot fix? Didn't 376.09 come out yesterday?
Yes, that's the one I was meaning.

As for any notes on the patch for FH3, I don't know... it just had an Update within the Microsoft store where you launch the game from. Instead of "Play" it changed to "Update". It seemed to be a rather small update so I'm unsure what it did. Did nobody else get this update? I don't see any mention of it anywhere, so I'm wondering what that even did, if anything.

shpankey

not an idiot
Just seen mention of it elsewhere also, but I couldn't download the update initially either, it kept failing. I ended up moving the game back to my main drive and this fixed my issue and allowed the update to download/install. If anyone runs into that same issue, just fyi

Weird, I have 6700k with a 980ti, both overclocked, and I play at 4K with a mix of high/ultra and medium settings and get 50-60fps mostly.

Yeah, framerate is no issue. I'm getting constant 100fps at 1440p maxed. 38-48fps @ 5K maxed.

The problem is these slowdowns that occurs constantly, which doesn't affect the framerate. I mean watch my video at 57s.

Damn, dude. I've got the same CPU and GPU as you (heftily overclocked fwiw) and after that first shaky month the worst I get is the occasional stutter, and I do mean occasional.

of course I've been playing on Xbox One since black friday so maybe things have changed

It's super hard for me to consider Horizon 3 even being among the worst PC ports I've played this year. Not after Deus Ex (which I fucking gave up on halfway through - never expected that bc I love Deus Ex but FUCK the PC version) and Dishonored 2 (Honestly mulling just not playing that game until a future gen either, and man, I'm not buying Dishonored 3 until it sees a hefty discount because fuck that noise)

edit: jesus CHRIST that video a joke dude. Sorry :( That's pure bullshit and I can see why you feel the way you do.

shpankey

not an idiot
I would point out, this is mentioned in their known issues on their forums, so hopefully it's on their radar to fix eventually. We are getting updates now, so there is some hope I suppose....

"FPS stuttering on PC on certain configurations."

ctw0e, are you overclocking? I overclocked my system RAM and got similar results when playing FH3. I put it back and it went back to being smooth again. I know a longshot, but you may just try a quick test and set your cpu/ram and video card overclocks back to default and do a quick test run. If it doesn't help you can always go back.

Theorry

126585-hi.jpg

126591-hi.jpg

126590-hi.jpg

126589-hi.jpg

126588-hi.jpg

126587-hi.jpg

126586-hi.jpg

126612-hi.jpg

126611-hi.jpg

126610-hi.jpg

126609-hi.jpg

126608-hi.jpg

126607-hi.jpg

126606-hi.jpg

126605-hi.jpg

126604-hi.jpg

126603-hi.jpg

126602-hi.jpg

126601-hi.jpg

126593-hi.jpg

126594-hi.jpg

126595-hi.jpg

126596-hi.jpg

126597-hi.jpg

Screenshots.

http://www.forzacentral.com/forum/t...dated-november-28th.40469/page-37#post-725046

Top Bottom