• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 PC Patch

AsakuraZ

Oh jeez, I've been waiting for this. The game was almost unplayable for me for a long time and I have a decent rig to play on.

Even better it added support for my wheel. Guess I know what I'm doing when I get home today. Crossing my fingers everything works out

chixdiggit

Game already ran perfect on my PC but good to hear about the wheel list. What PC wheel does GAF recommend anyway?

It didn't though, everyone had the micro stuttering. The CPU usage was fucked.

My guess is that if you had a beefy enough CPU you could overcome the microstuttering even though the CPU utilization was poor for multiple cores.

FWIW didn't have many problems with a 6700K

Dinjoralo

So... The game's performance has significantly improved? Great! I might actually consider picking this up. Anyone with something close to a GTX 970 and i5-6600k got any reports?

Kssio_Aug

That's great news!

I just hope they could release it on Steam or something later. I don't like UWP apps! =/

But as long as everything is running as it should, there's not much to complain.

dLMN8R

8 months later. Still cool though.

And UWP is shite, there are plenty of issues, though not really relating to the game much.

Like I keep getting errors trying to download the fucking patch!

You can get W10 OEM keys on ebay for like 5 bucks.

While the many teams involved with the Windows Store have fixed countless bugs since Forza and Gears released, it's always possible for some remaining issues to exist.

The Creators Update will have the most recent set of fixes, but even without it you should have most of them.

If you're still having issues downloading this or any other app/game from the store, feel free to PM me and I can try to help figure out what's going on.

Hux1ey

Banned
While the many teams involved with the Windows Store have fixed countless bugs since Forza and Gears released, it's always possible for some remaining issues to exist.

The Creators Update will have the most recent set of fixes, but even without it you should have most of them.

If you're still having issues downloading this or any other app/game from the store, feel free to PM me and I can try to help figure out what's going on.

It's not giving me the error any more but the download keeps stopping and DL speed is abysmal. I quickly tried downloading a game from steam while it was paused and it worked absolutely fine at full speed.

I think I've been downloading this patch for over 2 hours now.

JaggedSac

1080GTX, 4770k here and there are still lurches in fluidity at 1080p ultra (unlocked framerate 144hz monitor). By lurches I mean the whole game slows down, almost like slo mode. Doesn't seem any different than when I played months ago.

Demo or full game? The demo doesn't have this patch at this point in time.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
1080GTX, 4770k here and there are still lurches in fluidity at 1080p ultra (unlocked framerate 144hz monitor). By lurches I mean the whole game slows down, almost like slo mode. Doesn't seem any different than when I played months ago.
That's not good.

nstine

Do you have frame rate smoothing turned on? If so disable that and see if it removes the slow down.

Would help if I could even download the fking update, windows store is the most useless POS in existence. Any tips? Just says it's downloading a 5mb update and sticks, I have a 200mb connection, reset the app as well but that doesn't do anything.

nstine

Would help if I could even download the fking update, windows store is the most useless POS in existence. Any tips? Just says it's downloading a 5mb update and sticks, I have a 200mb connection, reset the app as well but that doesn't do anything.

I'd pm dLMN8R. He works on or with the Win 10 store team.

For visibility.

I don't think I've seen someone with your exact specs, but this was posted by someone in the PC Performance thread so I'd think there is a pretty good chance you could do 60fps:

i7-920 here at 4ghz. I've just played a quick session to try things out and I'm getting 60fps locked at 1440p (with a GTX 1070). It'd drop to 45-50 at 1080p before; so yeah big improvement even on an old ass CPU like mine!

Skyr

Performance is better but still very weird.

4790k@4.6ghz 1080 Ti and I get 100+FPS @ 1440p Gsync

However if I lock the framerate with afterburner to a specific number like 80fps it always drops like 2-5 frames randomly
Same happens if I lock it to 60.

These UWP games are effin weird man.

Velikost

Every patch they release either breaks or fixes performance for me. Last one broke it, so let's see what this one does...

J3ffro

So... Should I be hoping for steady 60fps at max settings at 1440p with a 1070 and a i5-6600K? Or is that unrealistic?

I'll tell you in a couple hours, that's my set up exactly. My CPU is mildly overclocked by my mobo, 22% I believe.

Jeffrey

Wish every game focused on cpu improvements with updates haha.

My 3570k is the bottleneck for many modern openworld games now.

Kysen

Do you have frame rate smoothing turned on? If so disable that and see if it removes the slow down.
I turned it off now and it helped but I think the real issue is caching(running from HDD). Frame rate never goes below 70 and the game looks incredible.

I had to refund the game last fall due to the constant crashes. It was unplayable. I was so disappointed.

News of this PC fix has me hopeful though - I wonder if it's worth the risk to buy it again. The game is still so appealing to me and the Hot Wheels DLC is just icing on the cake.

I'm not the most computer savvy person, and I never figured out what was causing my crashes. Here's my PC's specs though -

GTX 770
i3670k
8gb RAM

Nowhere near top of the line, obviously. Anyone think it's worth a shot?

Anyone having any trouble with the windows store? Seem my download is just stalled. Downloads for a bit then says "mapping your download" then "getting download data" then "calculating download size". Just goes on a loop.

I had to refund the game last fall due to the constant crashes. It was unplayable. I was so disappointed.

News of this PC fix has me hopeful though - I wonder if it's worth the risk to buy it again. The game is still so appealing to me and the Hot Wheels DLC is just icing on the cake.

I'm not the most computer savvy person, and I never figured out what was causing my crashes. Here's my PC's specs though -

GTX 770
i3670k
8gb RAM

Nowhere near top of the line, obviously. Anyone think it's worth a shot?
If you're on the fence then you could always wait until the updates hit the demo.

Intru

Anyone else having trouble with their Xbox One controller?

Mine is going completely crazy in this game, bluetooth or wired. Input mappings are changing every few seconds.

For example, one moment the left stick makes my camera pan left and right, and the next moment it controls steering. Sometimes the view button changes the camera position, sometimes it opens the map.

Infuriating and unplayable right now.

jediyoshi

Anyone else having trouble with their Xbox One controller?

Mine is going completely crazy in this game, bluetooth or wired. Input mappings are changing every few seconds.

For example, one moment the left stick makes my camera pan left and right, and the next moment it controls steering. Sometimes the view button changes the camera position, sometimes it opens the map.

Infuriating and unplayable right now.

Are you running Steam or any other program that can remap controllers? If your Xbox controller is set up as a Steam controller, it maps the Xbox controls to a bunch of kb/m controls when you're not playing a Steam game.

We have taken further advantage of DX12 capabilities to allow the visuals to be processed out of order during the frame

Never miss an opportunity to advertise DX12 I guess. Even when the game has been running like garbage for some since launch

I'll try it later tonight and hopefully it's fixed

Edit*** game is finally fixed for me. Man what a difference it makes when I don't have to deal with constant stuttering. I played around in the downtown area for around 15min and didn't have a single stutter. GTX 1080 and i7 6700 I was getting around 90-100fps on ultra.

johnnydelray

Neo Member
I tried to get this fucking game to play properly from day one, but gave in when the XBONE finally came down in price. Just simply too many problems. Wheel "support" was absolute garbage compared to pretty much any other driving game I owned, and I have a lot (didn't save mappings, couldn't use secondary shifters, wonky FFB but that got sorted by the end). The performance was a joke too on my 970.

But I'd be willing to give it another try if they ironed all that out. The only thing stopping me is the Windows Store, which caused be more grief than all my gaming life combined. Was on support and chat trying to get the damn thing to download and work, not to mention EVERY SINGLE UPDATE (which was frequent). Too much of a headache, I have nightmares about it, doubt I'll ever go back to Windows Store. So much for a GFWL replacement.

Intru

Are you running Steam or any other program that can remap controllers? If your Xbox controller is set up as a Steam controller, it maps the Xbox controls to a bunch of kb/m controls when you're not playing a Steam game.

Thank you. I will check this out tomorrow. I am pretty sure this may be the case.

Top Bottom