• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 PC Performance Thread

fJWCR1t.jpg

Release Date: September 23rd for Ultimate Edition, 27th for the rest, unlocks in your local time ("your" means the store region you bought it from!)
Developer: Playground Games
Publisher: Microsoft Studios
Platforms: Windows 10 and Xbox One exclusive.

System Requirements:

MINIMUM

DirectX: DirectX 12 Feature Level 11
Memory: 8 GB
Video Memory: 2 GB
Processor: i5 3570 3.4GHz
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti | AMD R7 250X
Storage: 60 GB

RECOMMENDED

DirectX: DirectX 12 Feature Level 11
Memory: 12 GB
Video Memory: 4 GB
Processor: i7 3820 3.6GHz
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 970 or GTX 1060 | AMD 290X or AMD RX 480
Storage: 60 GB

Supported Wheels

Logitech G27 Racing Wheel
Logitech G25 Racing Wheel
Logitech G29 Racing Wheel
Logitech MOMO Force Feedback Racing Wheel
Thrustmaster T300RS
Thrustmaster T500 RS Gaming Wheel
Logitech G920 Xbox One Wheel
Thrustmaster T150
Thrustmaster TX Xbox One Wheel
Thrustmaster TMX Xbox One Wheel
Thrustmaster RGT Force Feedback Racing Wheel
Fanatec Wheels soon

Drivers:

Geforce Game Ready Driver 372.90 | AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.9.2

Thats maybe a good tip for the OP. Reboot after you installed the drivers. :)

Graphics Settings:

Via Karak

PC GFX Options
2e8d2475ee.png

c263e03b49.png

Features Supported:

Uncapped FPS
GSync
Ultrawide
Supersampling

Features Not Supported

Exclusive Fullscreen (and you don't need it anyway in DX12.)
HDR (console only, probably due to no HDR monitor on the market)

Known Performance Issues and Workarounds

As of October 15th with 1.0.17.2 patch, the following workarounds might not be needed any more, but you can keep them on if you are still running into issues.

Game not starting/crashing at Playground logo - Uninstall Avast antivirus or at least set it to passive mode, microphones might also cause this.
CPU bound on powerful CPUs - poor multi thread optimization, see the next entry for workarounds.
Stutters - update driver to latest, and mostly related to asset streaming, potential fixes: disable Core 0 in CPU affinity settings (if you have a hyperthread CPU) and set priority to low in task manager; disable Game DVR in Xbox app. Lowering Environment Texture Quality and Dynamic Geometry Quality might help as well.
Poor performance on capable specs - make sure you enable "Prefer Maximum Performance" in Nvidia control panel, it might make a big difference.
Car customization interface is very laggy
Screen artifacts with ultrawide resolution - change MSAA quality from 4X to 8X.

Gowans

Ultimate edition downloaded on my Xbox One in the living room and PC in the office.

Hopefully I'm expecting good at 4K on the big PC

i7-5960X 8-cores, 20MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.0 GHz w/ Turbo Boost
Triple GTX TITAN X in SLI
32GB DDR4 2133MHz
Samsung U32D970Q 4K Monitor

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I think they may get me to upgrade to Ultimate Edition Digital because of this PC and Xbox One play...

Game looks gorgeous on PC.

UltraJay

So I'm guessing Australians that bought the Ultimate Edition already unlocked it (midnight here)? I'm here still getting 49 gigs.

RE4PRR

Got it up and running, 21:9 Definitely supported but in game I get weird glitching down the right side, at first I thought it was the fps counter but removing that doesn't change it.

Pretty sure only 1 1080 is being worked, hover around 60fps with everything max x4 msaa but the first two races I went into 50s. Need my sli lol.

Otherwise game looks beautiful and image quality doesn't do it justice.

strata8

Got it up and running, 21:9 Definitely supported but in game I get weird glitching down the right side, at first I thought it was the fps counter but removing that doesn't change it.

Pretty sure only 1 1080 is being worked, hover around 60fps with everything max x4 msaa but the first two races I went into 50s. Need my sli lol.

AA looks fairly good in this shot, pretty compressed though so it's hard to tell.

Theorry

Upload your screen with abload.de. Way better. :)

Wanna drop this in here:

If you want to benchmark a UWP app, you can use PresentMon: https://github.com/GameTechDev/PresentMon/releases

It's a command-line app, that can put out a csv-table file that you can use in Excel for example.

Commandline options

-captureall: record ALL processes (default).
-process_name [exe name]: record specific process.
-process_id [integer]: record specific process ID.
-output_file [path]: override the default output path.
-etl_file [path]: consume events from an ETL file instead of real-time.
-delay [seconds]: wait before starting to consume events.
-timed [seconds]: stop listening and exit after a set amount of time.
-no_csv: do not create any output file.
-exclude_dropped: exclude dropped presents from the csv output.
-scroll_toggle: only record events while scroll lock is enabled.
-simple: disable advanced tracking. try this if you encounter crashes.
-terminate_on_proc_exit: terminate PresentMon when all instances of the specified process exit.
-hotkey: use F11 to start and stop listening, writing to a unique file each time.
delay kicks in after hotkey (each time), timer starts ticking from hotkey press.

this line here, would record frametimings and much more for 90 seconds for the app ForzaMotorsportApex.exe (otherwise it would record all running programs) when you press [F11] and put out the csv-file under C:\Temp\ :

PresentMon64 -process_name ForzaMotorsportApex.exe -output_file C:\Temp\PresMon1.csv -timed 90 -hotkey

Oh xposting my PC impression from the other thread:

OK now I get the PC up and running, some reports and thoughts:

My rig is i7 4790K OC 4.4GHz, Zotac GTX1080 Amp! with the latest Game Ready driver, 16GB of DDR3 2400, game is installed on a HDD as my game SSD is out of space atm.

Using the dynamic optimization Ultra preset, 4K gives me only 40-50fps especially in the opening rain forest section, the highest resolution that I can maintain a steady 60fps is 1620p so I'm playing at 1440p with rock solid 60fps.

Quality wise the pop in reduction, higher fidelity textures and reflection are instantly notable, shadows feel a little bit more crisp but that is something you won't notice a lot in racing games anyway.

Had some lock up issues and loading stuttering during cutscenes which probably are due to the game running on a HDD, but other than these, the port is amazing. Will be playing this on another very mediocre rig (i5 4590 and GTX 960 4GB) to see how it performs on lower end builds.

So I could buy it on the AUS store and have it unlock then?

If you want to play early buy it on HK or Singapore, the AUS store is only 1 hour earlier but A LOT more expensive.

ekim

Yeah I think it's fine, x4 MSAA and FXAA when you're actually playing works well.

Uploaded to abloade, also reboot fixed my issue, I didn't do so when installing drivers.

Are you downsampling ( higher resolution ingame than monitor native res)?

RE4PRR

Thats maybe a good tip for the OP. Reboot after you installed the drivers. :)

My mistake, when I loaded in it was fine, but starting drive it came back again, wonder if this is a 21:9 only issue.

Could also be my monitor, but I'm upgrading this to the x34 Predator on Monday so we'll see lol. Seen a video of the lower 21:9 Res and they weren't getting the same issue.

ISee

Hmm is there a way to upgrade the standard (already preordered) edition to the ultimate edition?

MaLDo

Yeah I think it's fine, x4 MSAA and FXAA when you're actually playing works well.

Uploaded to abloade, also reboot didn't fix my issue, may need to clean install drivers see how it goes.

No. MSAA is not working well in that screenshot. Look at those powerlines, the antialiasing is fighting with some kind of uneven nearest neighbour scaling. Same for car details, road border, etc.

Listonosh

A buddy who has the review copy, the PC play anywhere program just unlocked yesterday for reviewers and man, we couldn't get that thing to run smoothly whatsoever.

I can't give you his exact specs, but I believe he has a GTX 970, 16GB and a i5. His computer also got near perfect scores for VIVE compatibility, not sure if that helps. In any case, no matter what resolution we tried it on, or the graphical settings, everywhere from High to Low, we kept getting 20-25fps with dips to 10 at times.

Is that signs of bad optimization?

GlamFM

Banned
Oh xposting my PC impression from the other thread:

If you want to play early buy it on HK or Singapore, the AUS store is only 1 hour earlier but A LOT more expensive.

I love your PC impressions from the other thread!

I'll be playing at 1080 - so 60 should be easy for me.

GlamFM

Banned
A buddy who has the review copy, the PC play anywhere program just unlocked yesterday for reviewers and man, we couldn't get that thing to run smoothly whatsoever.

I can't give you his exact specs, but I believe he has a GTX 970, 16GB and a i5. His computer also got near perfect scores for VIVE compatibility, not sure if that helps. In any case, no matter what resolution we tried it on, or the graphical settings, everywhere from High to Low, we kept getting 20-25fps with dips to 10 at times.

Is that signs of bad optimization?

There was a driver update from nvidia specifically for this game. Did you get it? Came out yesterday evening EU time.

Top Bottom