• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon demo impressions

shandy706

LOL,

Whos needs a driving line when you can have invisible walls to guide you safely home.

Someone that wants to actually win the race....

I don't believe the driving lines reveal short cuts either.

Heck, using the walls and other cars was the norm in Gran Turismo for many...and it's a "SIM". This game isn't a "SIM"

GlamFM

Banned
But it is marketed as open road.

Untrue.

0.jpg

saladine1

But it is marketed as open road.

Well if it is, then they are contradicting themselves because they've said that "if you can see it, you can drive to it" which would mean more open world than open road...

Anyway, open road is good enough for me. Can't wait for the full game..

shinnn

true

Forza Horizon is an action racing game set on the epic open roads of Colorado with a thrilling music festival backdrop. Combining stunning graphics and cutting-edge music with legendary Forza authenticity and a superb collection of cars to drive, Forza Horizon is an open-world automotive playground that puts a spotlight on speed, style, and the freedom of the open road. Check out the trailer for Forza Horizon. This is where cars belong!

Its open road, and it is open world. They don't say you can drive though trees, climbing mountains.

Well if it is, then they are contradicting themselves because they've said that "if you can see it, you can drive to it" which would mean more open world than open road...

Anyway, open road is good enough for me. Can't wait for the full game..

Yeah, because people drive to home climbing mountains and passing through forests.

Did anyone else find that the muted engine sounds made it hard to judge exactly when to change gear?
Its the very first thing I noticed. I've gotten used to it, but with the muted sound and lack of vibration its a night and day difference to Forza 4, no pun intended.

But speaking of it anyway, is it just me or does night time just fly by? Its like you get 5 minutes of night for 35 minutes of day.

But Horizon is more suited for me, I love the open roads, the vistas, the cruising, etc. Will it be my new favourite racer? Can't tell without the full game but it's looking good.
Same here. Doing circuits during the morning or mid day just isn't doing it anymore. Its this and NFS for me.

saladine1

Its the very first thing I noticed. I've gotten used to it, but with the muted sound and lack of vibration its a night and day difference to Forza 4, no pun intended.

But speaking of it anyway, is it just me or does night time just fly by? Its like you get 5 minutes of night for 35 minutes of day.

Same here. Doing circuits during the morning or mid day just isn't doing it anymore. Its this and NFS for me.

IBL bro

notsureifserious.jpg

On a side note, GTAIV PC is the best game for cruising. Hot Pursuit (again, PC 60fps) is pretty good if you are looking for some highspeed action.

Oh god no I wasn't serious, hated GTA's missions but the driving and city itself was fantastic. I just don't see the need for FH to be *that* open.

Megasoum

Banned

You can't reverse engineer the moon dude.... come on...

Arucardo

Fanatec Porsche 911 turbo s.

Nice! ;)

Bought the CSR shifters a while ago for my PWTS, sold my old G25 set that was gathering dust (except the pedals, used them with the fanatec) and bought the CSR Elite pedals. The pedals were worth every euro, really impressed with them.

The_Monk

Did someone played with the regular Controller on "Simulation" Driving difficulty or what was it called? In the description it says it's better for people with the Wheel/Pedals or something.

Pfft, I played all the way like that on Forza4 with the regular controller, don't make me feel bad/poor, Horizon!

Had a go at driving on the pad, seems alright to me barring the lack of rumble, super easy though - wheel players are gonna get their arses kicked.

It is so night and day, I would almost say it is a bug or something. When you go off road with the wheel it goes nuts, on the pad its like nothing. You can feel the different surfaces with the wheel. They got to fix this for people who only have a pad.

My impressions of the demo:

The off-road stuff felt just like Dirt 2, I felt right at home as I adjusted my steering accordingly.

Even the presentation and options are all directly inspired by Dirt 2, you can tell the majority of this studio is former Codemasters.

The kudos (credits) system is almost directly taken from PGR4.

Radio stations are nice, especially since you have a choice of 3. I like that they each have their own DJ.

The setting reminded me why I loved the Bernese Alps track from Forza 4 so much... the feeling of driving through majestic vistas is so much more rewarding than vanilla tracks.

Also I didn't mind the "bounciness" of the collision physics. I like that even if I hit a pedestrian car it does not mean I am out of the race completely. It's an arcade racer, not a sim after all.

Overall a nice mash-up of my favorite racing games.

Day one; I'm in.

Bgamer90

Banned
It is so night and day, I would almost say it is a bug or something. When you go off road with the wheel it goes nuts, on the pad its like nothing. You can feel the different surfaces with the wheel. They got to fix this for people who only have a pad.

Yeah I just tried it with a normal controller and it's amazing how different the game is in terms of feel in comparison.

I had the exact same assists off that I had off with my wheel yet the game was such a breeze to play. I was expecting it to be easier but it's WAY TOO EASY.

I now see why people have been beating my times easily.

eso76

You should try TDU2 for cruising. I´m not joking.

i bought it for that reason alone; one huge area to explore, i didnt care about the racing or even driving aspect, tried tdu1 demo and found it entertaining...what could go wrong ?
except i just hated everything about the game, and i couldnt imagine physics being so much worse than tdu1's.
at this point i find flying across the islands in trials evolution's editor's free cam mode more rewarding than trying to get anywhere in tdu2 :p
i'd much rather go back to mercedes world racing on xbox1

Anybody know if the demo options (in the menu) are fully representative of the release build?

If so, they need to patch in the ability to crank sound effects and vibration to 200. Forza also lets you choose what sounds to focus on (tires, engine, etc).

What I don't understand is why this game seems to lack some of the improvements made in Forza 4.

Just played the demo. That's quite possibly the worst intro I've ever seen in my entire life. What on earth were they thinking? Game was mediocre at best, in my opinion. Big green arrows on the road, a rewind feature and... a GPS? A freaking GPS that tells you when to turn? The developers said something about this being a bit more "arcady", but it seems to me like the developers had some serious difficulties deciding how much "Forza" it should be and how much arcade it should be. Definitely not a game for me. It's too simplistic as well; just hold RT and press the A button every once in a while.

Mascot

I remember that quote. Does that mean I can drive to the mountain in the far distance in this shot? I can see it, but it looks a little far away to be part of the game map. What happens if I get there and there's another mountain another twenty miles away? I wish dev's wouldn't say these things if they aren't true. They've definitely been calling Horizon 'open world' since day one as well, but it does look like you are pretty much restriced to roads, verges and specific short cuts. Slightly misleading, no?

ibrKkL1z5w0xds.JPEG

Nice! ;)

Bought the CSR shifters a while ago for my PWTS, sold my old G25 set that was gathering dust (except the pedals, used them with the fanatec) and bought the CSR Elite pedals. The pedals were worth every euro, really impressed with them.

I have the clubsport pedals and they were so worth the money.

If you want to take it up to the next level, put a real shifter knob on your shifter. It really makes it feel awesome. Or you could wait till they release the club sport shifter in 2025....if were lucky.

Here is mine :)

7473699418_25d9675d93.jpg

it glows!

7473701382_d132b4837d.jpg

derFeef

Just played the demo. That's quite possibly the worst intro I've ever seen in my entire life. What on earth were they thinking? Game was mediocre at best, in my opinion. Big green arrows on the road, a rewind feature and... a GPS? A freaking GPS that tells you when to turn? The developers said something about this being a bit more "arcady", but it seems to me like the developers had some serious difficulties deciding how much "Forza" it should be and how much arcade it should be. Definitely not a game for me. It's too simplistic as well; just hold RT and press the A button every once in a while.

Big arrows? Do you mean the driving line? Just turn it off. Rewind? Turn it off.
What difficulty/settings did you use? And what's wrong with GPS and a game like that? It's the perfect fit. Also you def. can't keep RT pressed, come on.

Played the demo again today....but while the IQ is really fantastic, I somehow miss the excitement. The racinggames I enjoyed the most recently ( Hot Pursuit, BLUR, Split/Second, Showdown and even RR Unbounded ) were really exciting to play. Forza 4 en GT5 are in a league of their own, and this game...I hope there is more to it, than the demo.

MormaPope

Banned
Anybody know if the demo options (in the menu) are fully representative of the release build?

If so, they need to patch in the ability to crank sound effects and vibration to 200. Forza also lets you choose what sounds to focus on (tires, engine, etc).

What I don't understand is why this game seems to lack some of the improvements made in Forza 4.

The Forza 4 demo was also lacking those sound options if I remember correctly, the menus in the demo represent the styling the menus will be in Horizon, but I think they cut out some of the menu stuff/options in the demo.

Played the demo again today....but while the IQ is really fantastic, I somehow miss the excitement. The racinggames I enjoyed the most recently ( Hot Pursuit, BLUR, Split/Second, Showdown and even RR Unbounded ) were really exciting to play. Forza 4 en GT5 are in a league of their own, and this game...I hope there is more to it, than the demo.

I get thrills and chills when I'm going 130 mph down the highway and not crashing on winding roads. After playing Forza 4 for many many hours Horizon is refreshing.

Bgamer90

Banned

What?

You can turn most of that stuff off. Driving lines and rewind were in previous Forza Motorsport games.

The GPS fits well with the game since you are driving to locations to sign in for races.

"Just Hold RT and press A"? How many assists do you have on?

Big arrows? Do you mean the driving line? Just turn it off. Rewind? Turn it off.
What difficulty/settings did you use? And what's wrong with GPS and a game like that? It's the perfect fit. Also you def. can't keep RT pressed, come on.

There was no settings. Maybe a glitch in my demo, but I saw no settings. But if you can turn all of that off, then fair enough. Regarding the GPS, as if the game wasn't ultra-casual enough the fact that you have to listen to an annoying voice telling you to make a turn is the drop. At least let me use my head. Look at signs and the mini-map. And yeah, sure, you let go off RT, press it again, let go, press it again, sure. Still far too simplistic for my taste.

What?

You can turn most of that stuff off. Driving lines and rewind were in previous Forza Motorsport games.

The GPS fits well with the game since you are driving to locations to sign in for races.

Would you really say that this is like a proper Forza game? Each to their own, I suppose. Never was a fan of Forza. And what the hell are you talking about? Assists? The hell? I just played the game. I pressed start and played it. There wasn't even an options menu; after the intro it just started. Did you even play the demo? :/

MormaPope

Banned
What?

If all the assists are on the game will play itself, so if he didn't turn any of them off the game will be in autopilot like in the intro race. E-brake this time around is also much more vicious, so using the E-brake with all the assists off will make you do a instant 180 if you don't tap it.

Would you really say that this is like a proper Forza game? Each to their own, I suppose. Never was a fan of Forza. And what the hell are you talking about? Assists? The hell? I just played the game. I pressed start and played it. There wasn't even an options menu; after the intro it just started. Did you even play the demo? :/

You back out of the map screen or press start and go to the difficulty menu, it's in everyone's demo dude. The difficulty menu allows you to change assists and AI.

There was no settings. Maybe a glitch in my demo, but I saw no settings. But if you can turn all of that off, then fair enough. Regarding the GPS, as if the game wasn't ultra-casual enough the fact that you have to listen to an annoying voice telling you to make a turn is the drop. At least let me use my head. Look at signs and the mini-map. And yeah, sure, you let go off RT, press it again, let go, press it again, sure. Still far too simplistic for my taste.
You don't get to change options right at the beginning. But you can tweak them once the tutorial for the game's difficulty comes up. Just switch to options, disable some assists, GPS, driving line, whatever.

After you complete the three events the demo also lets you free roam in a small area to your heart's content. That will give you a better idea of the handling model, day/night cycle, etc.

The Forza 4 demo was also lacking those sound options if I remember correctly, the menus in the demo represent the styling the menus will be in Horizon, but I think they cut out some of the menu stuff/options in the demo.
Here's to hoping that the release build has more options and more oomph. Otherwise I'd really like to see a patch to give this game a solid kick in the balls.

DD

So, you're basically judging without knowing the product. =P

Wonko_C

No offense man but, did you even PAUSE the game? Assists can be turned off from the "Difficulty" option in the pause menu. If you can't, then start an event and before the race starts, there's the "Difficulty" option in the menu.

Arucardo

I have the clubsport pedals and they were so worth the money.

If you want to take it up to the next level, put a real shifter knob on your shifter. It really makes it feel awesome. Or you could wait till they release the club sport shifter in 2025....if were lucky.

The CSR shifters both have aluminum knobs that add a noticeable amount of weight compared to the stock fanatec shifters so I don't think I need to change them.

Also bought the shifter set adapter for my Rennsport Stand V2 which made it possible to mount the shifter a little lower and further away.

Here's a pic of my setup with an added bonus, my highly worn "racing shoes" lol.

Bought the shifter adapter mainly to make switching shifters easier (which it very much did) and it's sturdy as hell, zero wiggle with both shifters.

Well, that's weird. In a proper racing game when you start it it's set to normal difficulty. I was just playing a demo so I didn't want to invest as much time with it as I would when I play a full game, so I just jumped into action. But now I'm hearing that you need to go to the options menu to turn off ultra-casual mode, and what's worse is that there isn't even an options menu in the start menu. Brilliant.

Ah well.

Top Bottom