• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon demo impressions

Leflus

Heh. I didn't notice the poor use of rumble in the game until I read about it on GAF. It's impossible to "unfeel" it now. :p

MormaPope

Banned
Well, that's weird. In a proper racing game when you start it it's set to normal difficulty. I was just playing a demo so I didn't want to invest as much time with it as I would when I play a full game, so I just jumped into action. But now I'm hearing that you need to go to the options menu to turn off ultra-casual mode, and what's worse is that there isn't even an options menu in the start menu. Brilliant.

Ah well.

Sounds like you're being negative just to be negative.

Arucardo

Rennsport is actually a pretty good stand.

I can vouch for this, the Rennsport has some weight to it so it's more stable than some other stands I've tried, a little wider too.

The only concern I had when buying it was that center post but you get used to it right away (at least I did) and it doesn't get in the way even when heel-toeing or left foot braking.

I can vouch for this, the Rennsport has some weight to it so it's more stable than some other stands I've tried, a little wider too.

The only concern I had when buying it was that center post but you get used to it right away (at least I did) and it doesn't get in the way even when heel-toeing or left foot braking.

My only complaint is about an inch of wiggle on the center post which for the life of me I cant get rid of.

Just simply adding 4xAA will get rid of nearly all jaggies. Codemasters' games have virtually no jaggies either, they use 4xAA on 360 and 2xAA on PS3 afaik.

I believe the very first part of the demo doesn't allow you to change those options but once you start the first actual race not only does it allow you to adjust the settings it states it right on the screen. To me it sounds like the guy complaining did the very first part where you chase down the AI player en route to the first event. Ive only played the demo once but I believe that was the setup.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I remember that quote. Does that mean I can drive to the mountain in the far distance in this shot? I can see it, but it looks a little far away to be part of the game map. What happens if I get there and there's another mountain another twenty miles away? I wish dev's wouldn't say these things if they aren't true. They've definitely been calling Horizon 'open world' since day one as well, but it does look like you are pretty much restriced to roads, verges and specific short cuts. Slightly misleading, no?

FWIW I feel a little bit let down by the map too. It's obviously not Colorado in the same way that TDU is Oahu. Now, Colorado is many times larger than Oahu, it's not feasible for a 1:1 map like that. But there's no doubt that MS has been hoping that gamers would connect the two. Thing is, it doesn't even seem like a scaled down Colorado. It's just a large map with some Colorado-ish stylings. And it looks like the demo is from the boring part of Colorado besides.

I'm pretty sure that MS are taking a LOT of shortcuts with the graphics (like trees being sprites etc.) which is probably why the roads all have these convenient barriers and also why the game is able to look the way it does.

AMUSIX

Well, that's weird. In a proper racing game when you start it it's set to normal difficulty. I was just playing a demo so I didn't want to invest as much time with it as I would when I play a full game, so I just jumped into action. But now I'm hearing that you need to go to the options menu to turn off ultra-casual mode, and what's worse is that there isn't even an options menu in the start menu. Brilliant.

Ah well.

Every Forza game starts with an "assists on" race. Some people like it, some hate it, but it is just an introduction to what comes later. Heck, I've seen a number of racing games do this.

However, I'm thinking you only raced that opening run and then stopped. Because right before the next race, the game stops, brings up the pre-race menu and TELLS you to go into difficulty settings to turn on and off assists. Then again, maybe you just ignored that, and then never paused the game again?

Takes some getting used to, like Forza 4 in 900 degree mode you need to put some real effort into counter steering, Alan isn't and that is what happens.

You're complaining about the game not automatically choosing the right settings for you and how there isn't an options menu when all you had to do was pause the game or back out and go to a menu. You're complaining only for the sake of complaining.

Why would I do that? All I'm saying is that I think it's poor of the developers, and that it is clearly not for me. Again: worst intro ever, unnecessary features, no excitement, not even a start menu, ultra-casual by default, overly simplistic, etc. If you think I'm complaining for whatever reason then sure, if it makes you happy.

We all have our own opinion, and this is probably not a game for me, simple as that.

MormaPope

Banned
Why would I do that? All I'm saying is that I think it's poor of the developers, and that it is clearly not for me. Again: worst intro ever, unnecessary features, no excitement, not even a start menu, ultra-casual by default, overly simplistic, etc. If you think I'm complaining for whatever reason then sure, if it makes you happy.

We all have our own opinion, and this is probably not a game for me, simple as that.

What racing games do you like? Just a honest question.

derFeef

Just watched the NBKA2013 quicklook from giantbomb and Jeff needed to delete his save, he had a Horizon save on there, maybe review copy? :)

Ah well.

My demo was set to hard from the get go, maybe because of Forza 4 or something. And no offense, but it takes little time and effort to tweak this settings. Considering you hate the lines and stuff, maybe first just look if there are options, then complain.

Forza 4 starts out almost exactly the same way.

Satchel

Banned
Not bad.

Graphically pretty amazing. Wonder how much AA they're pushing here. Seems like a lot to me.

I'd definitely buy this over traditional Forza. Not a fan of sim racers.

My only problem is that you came to these conclusions by only doing the very first part of the demo where you aren't even in an actual event/race. I just fired up the demo again and there is no way you could have missed the changing difficulty and other setting options if you had actually did a race.

Vire

One disappointing thing is if you stop your car and look at the trees it's pretty obvious that they are just sprite images.

Kinda ruins the illusion.

On top of what I previously stated if I were a developer I would much prefer my more experienced segment of my potential audience to have to tweak their settings up as opposed to the unexperienced segment having to tweak the settings down.

Forza 4 starts out almost exactly the same way.

Yeah, I know, I know. But it is my understanding that Forza Horizon is pretty different from a proper Forza game, but perhaps I'm misinformed on the subject. I honestly haven't been looking into Horizon much as I'm not really interested in the franchise. I've always been more of an arcade-racer kind of guy; never liked realism in racing games, and certainly not big arrows on the road telling me exactly where to go, and even an annoying GPS.

By the way, I forgot to mention, I'm pretty surprised that they actually went into work to model animals.

AMUSIX

I don't know of a single racing game (or any game, for that matter) that defaults to the most difficult settings. Every game is set to an easier play experience, because doing otherwise would be horrible game design.

I will absolutely agree that the intro is terrible. Truly, truly terrible. The music is listless, the visuals carry no excitement...I get that they were trying to convey a festival atmosphere, which might have been a fine concept, but execution just completely failed.

Ah well.
Its a demo, thus your experience from the beginning involves hand-holding and tutorializing. "Normal" difficulty in this case is for people expecting something along the lines of most arcade racers (all assists on, automatic gear shifts, etc). Those looking to take the training wheels off need to tweak the settings.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yeah, I know, I know. But it is my understanding that Forza Horizon is pretty different from a proper Forza game, but perhaps I'm misinformed on the subject. I honestly haven't been looking into Horizon much as I'm not really interested in the franchise. I've always been more of an arcade-racer kind of guy; never liked realism in racing games, and certainly not big arrows on the road telling me exactly where to go, and even an annoying GPS.

By the way, I forgot to mention, I'm pretty surprised that they actually went into work to model animals.
So basically, you weren't going to like this game from the get-go, but instead of just saying that, you made up some BS reason that was mainly a result of you not even giving it a chance in the first place? Sorry if nobody feels like giving you a pass on this.

Also, arrows and GPS can be turned off. Again something you'd know if you ever bothered to check.

So basically, you weren't going to like this game from the get-go, but instead of just saying that, you made up some BS reason that was mainly a result of you not even giving it a chance in the first place? Sorry if nobody feels like giving you a pass on this.

Also, arrows and GPS can be turned off. Again something you'd know if you ever bothered to check.

What's with the attitude?

First of all: "you weren't going to like this game from the get-go". What makes you say that? I obviously played the demo to find out. Like I said, I thought the game was different from a regular Forza game. I've seen some interviews that seemed to imply so, and the game isn't called Forza 5, is it? It's a spin-off, and one for a reason. What amuses me is how you're such a typical forumite. "Don't dislike what I like", right? "BS reason"? Did you even read my posts?

Oh, and finally, a thousand people have already wrote that before you. Something you'd know if you bothered to check. Geez, people these days.

DJ_Lae

Just watched the NBKA2013 quicklook from giantbomb and Jeff needed to delete his save, he had a Horizon save on there, maybe review copy? :)

Probably.

I've been teased by a couple of people on my friend list playing Horizon the past few days (one being Justin Calvert).

What's with the attitude? Seriously, what's with you?

First of all: "you weren't going to like this game from the get-go". What makes you say that? I obviously played the demo to find out. Like I said, I thought the game was different from a regular Forza game. I've seen some interviews that seemed to imply so, and the game isn't called Forza 5, is it? It's a spin-off, and one for a reason. What amuses me is how you're such a typical forumite. "Don't dislike what I like", right? "BS reason"? Did you even read my posts?

Oh, and finally, a thousand people have already wrote that before you. Something you'd know if you bothered to check. Geez, people these days.

Except as I stated above you didn't actually play the demo. I'm not suggesting you have to play every bit of a demo before you render an opinion but I don't think it is asking too much to actually compete in a race before you do.

Seanspeed

Banned
What's with the attitude? Seriously, what's with you?

Dont act like you know me.

Seriously though, you couldn't even find an options menu(or more likely, just didn't bother to even look). Since half your complaining was about stuff that could be fixed if you knew how to press Pause(although you say your demo was glitched and you didn't have any options...pffft! lol), yes, I think your reasoning was BS.

Majanew

Banned
Just simply adding 4xAA will get rid of nearly all jaggies. Codemasters' games have virtually no jaggies either, they use 4xAA on 360 and 2xAA on PS3 afaik.

Not true. Riddick uses 4x AA and it has some nasty jaggies in a lot of areas. The shower environment will stab your eyes out. Dead Space 1/2 have no AA and they're pretty clean, especially considering.

OrangeOak

The more I play it the more I like it.
Rivals mode is such a great addition to the series and it fits here perfectly making things more interesting.Beating friends records on tracks from the demo is really fun.
I hope there is a lot of events,some activities and a lot of nice and fun roads to drive on in full game because what worries me the most is games ability to stay fresh and interesting for more than a couple hours.

eso76

fm4 bumps AA to 4x in time attack and during events with no AI car on the track, also homespace and replays.
still it gets nowhere close to this, so its definitely something else they're using here.
whatever it is, it has to be in fm5. should look glorious in 1080p

KageMaru

My demo was set to hard from the get go, maybe because of Forza 4 or something.

Has anyone checked to see if it sets the difficulty based on your profile defaults?

Not true. Riddick uses 4x AA and it has some nasty jaggies in a lot of areas. The shower environment will stab your eyes out. Dead Space 1/2 have no AA and they're pretty clean, especially considering.

IIRC either the geometry resolution or the AA is adaptive in Riddick. Also if the effects used in that shower environment are low resolution, that will effect how clean the neighboring environment is as well. Having a low resolution alpha effects can make any geometry behind appear low resolution.

Vire

Replayed it, enjoying it much more today than yesterday. Maybe I was tired or something, but really loving it.

Some of the areas are absolutely stunning, I think I'm going to pick it up now.

NickMitch

Oh My God

This must be the cheesiest racing game ever. Im not personally into this "Dancehall/Rave/Dubstep/Trance/Techno" fever at any level at all. And the voice that tells me stuff in like 1m30s (info that I could read in 5s) just pisses me off very much. Also the cheesy "ultimate handbrake drift" lingo is so in your face neffed that i almost puke.

BUT

The cars feel heavy and nice, and the graphics are nice, but the overall aestethic (?) feels to cheesy and flimsy to have such realistic handling.

Why did they have to "DIRT2" this game?

Final statement: An obvious cash-in based on "MTVesque" styling and "CHECK THIS OUT THIS IS REALLY AWESOME". It´s also very similar to Hot Pursuit with it´s social networking/rivalry blah...

Gek54

My only complaint is about an inch of wiggle on the center post which for the life of me I cant get rid of.

This seems to be a common problem with the wheel on the 360, it was really noticeable in all the Forza games.

Check out the WRC3 demo's linearity chart for the steering and you can see that steering deadens near center. I had to skew the linearity on the chart to dial out the (almost)deadzone

He's talking about the Rennsport wheel stand.

I've noticed the linearity issue with the wheels and Xbox, what settings do you use?

If WRC 3 demo has a way of checking it out I'll download it.

Shaneus

Its the first game from a new studio
I think they have done a great job. If they will get to make pgr5 for the new Xbox I believe the series will be in good hands.
I'm willing to cut them some slack because it's a new studio, but given how much the publicity around it has been from Dan and Turn 10 (with only minor contributions from Playground, it seems) it looks literally like the only contribution they've made is with the car models. The driving is different, the UI is different, the sound is different, there's a piss filter... I get the feeling I've been a conned a little because there's even less Forza in it than I'd expected.

As it is, it doesn't scratch any personal itches that haven't already been scratched by PGR4 or Midnight Club LA so it's definitely not a day 1 perch.

Top Bottom