• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon - Fall 2012 - Developed by PlayGround Games

Shaneus

It's not that it's pink, it's the whole theme... the vibe... Mabo... (I don't expect everyone to understand that last bit... it's an Australian thing.

Anyway, I'm turned off by that, but I don't think *quite* as much as the full Dudebro-ness of the DIRT series. As long as there aren't any (AT ALL) fucking dubstep/brostep tracks. I'll shoot myself if they do.

Fourth game, unless I'm missing a joke. But the cover is obviously meant to attract people who wouldn't give a sim racer a second glance. Calling it a flop in advance is ridiculous.
Yeah, most people seem to forget that FM2, 3 and 4 came out before GT5 did ;)

Calling it a flop in advance is ridiculous.

Not at all. How many racing games have we seen flop this gen? Blur, Split/Second, the Motorstorm sequels, TDU 2, Shift 2, SEGA Rally, ModNation, DiRT 3. Even Burnout has been put on the back burner!

Forza isn't even that great a seller to begin with (don't let the bundle inflated sales of 2 and 3 fool you). I just don't think the market was asking for this game. It'll need to be amazing in order to not be a bomba, IMO.

Anyway, I feel trollish now. I'll just leave. Sorry. :p

eso76

Not at all. How many racing games have we seen flop this gen? Blur, Split/Second, the Motorstorm sequels, TDU 2, Shift 2, SEGA Rally, ModNation, DiRT 3. Even Burnout has been put on the back burner!

well, how many of those deserved to, though ?

As long as there aren't any (AT ALL) fucking dubstep/brostep tracks. I'll shoot myself if they do.

I dislike brostep as much as the next person, but not all of it is bad. I wouldn't mind cruising to this at sunrise.

And yet some others did not, and there have been plenty of games in other genres that flopped as well. You can't call that this early.

Forza isn't even that great a seller to begin with (don't let the bundle inflated sales of 2 and 3 fool you).

Most first party games' sales are bundle inflated, no surprises there. Forza still sells reasonably well and it usually has long legs. FM4 is still regularly charting in the UK, for instance.

I just don't think the market was asking for this game.

It may not get the mainstream audience's attention, but I think there are enough core gamers craving for a good open road racer after the disappointment that was TDU2 or just a good combination of arcade and sim racing in the wake of PGR's (hopefully temporary) demise.

Shaneus

I dislike brostep as much as the next person, but not all of it is bad. I wouldn't mind cruising to this at sunrise.
Kinda irrelevant, but not when this version is available ;)

Agree with all your other points too, RC. I think there's a market for a *slightly* more casual driving game that would sell to people who may not get FM4. I think it has a chance to do quite well, actually. Pretty much everyone who bought FM4 would (I'd think) buy it based on the quality of the main franchise, and the casual theme with less focus on tuning etc. could get a number of peripheral purchases who were otherwise intimidated. Like the crowd who'd go for something like, say, Dirt.

well, how many of those deserved to, though ?
Realistically, *really* only TDU2 (and I say that without having played Modnation or Motorstorm). But I think we're in a slightly different era from when those came out. And Horizon will have MS' full backing. Can't say that about Blur (which was sent to die by Activision) or Sega Rally (where SRS had been disbanded shortly after release, too).

szaromir

Banned
Forza isn't even that great a seller to begin with (don't let the bundle inflated sales of 2 and 3 fool you). I just don't think the market was asking for this game. It'll need to be amazing in order to not be a bomba, IMO.
Bundles or no bundles, Microsoft would have dropped this series a long time ago if it wasn't profitable.

n385055

Banned
I expect to have physics between FM4 and PGR which would be a good compromise to keep the 60FPS in this big world. The reduced car damage was already mentioned and is also OK if we'll have a dynamic day/night cycle as well as weather! But let's see; can't wait to watch the press conference today!

I expect to have physics between FM4 and PGR which would be a good compromise to keep the 60FPS in this big world. The reduced car damage was already mentioned and is also OK if we'll have a dynamic day/night cycle as well as weather! But let's see; can't wait to watch the press conference today!

I would LOVE for it to have 60fos, but I just don't see it happening. Big open world, with dirt/snow/gravel/etc and Forza 4 car models just seems more than the 360 can handle at 60fps.

n385055

Banned
I would LOVE for it to have 60fos, but I just don't see it happening. Big open world, with dirt/snow/gravel/etc and Forza 4 car models just seems more than the 360 can handle at 60fps.

Hope dies last. :)

But I expect that Turn 10 have learned a lot in the past years with regards to the 360 and maybe they can manage it somehow. *fingers crossed*

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This box art thing is the stupidest argument I have ever heard of.

If the most beautiful person in the world asked you on a date, but were wearing some ugly glasses, you would say no?
I.. what?

The box art is turrible. The colour scheme is turrible. No argument there, just an opinion.

derFeef

I.. what?

The box art is turrible. The colour scheme is turrible. No argument there, just an opinion.

I dont have problems with the color of the logo, but the backdrop is incredible cheap looking and the car looks stretched. They should rework it.

Shaneus

Not counting the dubstep, that trailer was the tits. Night racing. Rally. Traffic. Crashes. Basically, proof-of-concept for FM5 (not the crashes, but the other stuff, obv).

I approve.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Not counting the dubstep, that trailer was the tits. Night racing. Rally. Traffic. Crashes. Basically, proof-of-concept for FM5.

I approve.

fucking amazing. i shat myself at the rally bit. so many possibilities.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Honestly, I've never played or been interested in a Forza game before, I don't really know much about cars or anything, and I drive a 12 year old beater Cavalier... but this looked really, really cool to me. I'm definitely going to consider it in my fall purchasing.

saladine1

That was fucking awesome!!!

Seems like it has something for everyone.

Forza horizon is going to be amazing, then we get FM5 the following year...car nut heaven!!!

G Rom

I don't know what to think about the trailer, hopefully the showfloor videos/demos will provide more informations about the game because I still don't know what the hell all this festival stuff is.
Basically the trailer just made me want even more to have dynamic time do day in FM.

-Pixel-

Neo Member
More facts over at ForzaLife

- traffic with licensed cars
- cars you can´t buy like unicorn cars in Forza Motorsport, but find in barns
- 3 radiostations: Drum n' Bass , Dub and Rock/Mattel. via radio you´re informed by events too
- snow
- destructible objects
- animated environment
- rewind function
- speedtraps

Seanspeed

Banned
Should I be concerned that no in car view was shown?
Maybe. Its gonna depend a lot on the car count, I think. If they're going for 100's of cars, they might have to cut back somewhere and that *might* mean no cockpit view. I dont know. I was more concerned at the lack of any customization shown.

Shaneus

If it's PGR4-30fps, then I'm cool with that.

Edit: Those radiostations are horrible. DnB, Dubstep and Rock? WTF.

amar212

30fps confirmed.

One other multiplatform racing game that is still in development will use the same technique for console versions (separated graphics and physics, with fixed fps (Hz) for physics and for graphics).

Very interested to see how will it perform, because it is relatively new technology for optimizing the performance in the genre.

adelante

- traffic with licensed cars
- cars you can´t buy like unicorn cars in Forza Motorsport, but find in barns
- 3 radiostations: Drum n' Bass , Dub and Rock/Mattel. via radio you´re informed by events too
- snow
- destructible objects
- animated environment
- Rückspuhl Funktion
- speedtraps

mid-race Police chases?!

Didn't look bad at all, glad to see it wasn't all sand and rocks for scenery.

Is there any better videos about yet? I was stuck watching the SD feed.

amar212

Should I be concerned that no in car view was shown?

TDU had it. PGR had it. It would be a disaster not to have it. Besides, they got all modeling done, I really see no problems.

EDITED: ...okay, except the one. Night. And changeable weather (snow). Hm.

kamkor

Neo Member
My mind is blown away.

I still can't believe this looks so good even with 30fps. Must see actual gameplay footage to believe.

saladine1

Eurogamer says it does have cockpit view

But the Forza family resemblance is plain to see in plenty of other ways, such as the use of the same car classes and performance index (no E- or F-class slowpokes, mind); the optional green line that shows ideal cornering approaches and speeds; the rewind button for unspooling crashes; a full range of customisable driver assists; a detailed in-car camera; and support for Microsoft's wireless Speed Wheel and Fanatec's superb CSR force-feedback steering wheel. You won't, however, be able to tune your cars - though you can modify their appearance - and damage is only cosmetic, too.
No tuning?
Does that mean no upgrades?
Fuck that if true...

amar212

Eurogamer says it does have cockpit view

Thanx for this, that one is solved then.

And this one I like:

and support for Microsoft's wireless Speed Wheel and Fanatec's superb CSR force-feedback steering wheel

Bring It On Baby™

Sad for tuning though, but since I prefer stock-car racing i can't say I am too disappointed. Also, it will create a much more competitive environment, so it is not completely negative decision.

Top Bottom