• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon - Fall 2012 - Developed by PlayGround Games

saladine1

In a press briefing, Dan Greenawalt talked up the team at Playground, with a focus on their combined years of experience with racers. Greenawalt called them a "super group," and says that he fully trusts them with Turn 10's vision for racing games.

Greenawalt was clear that what Playground Games is working on is not Forza Motorsport 5. He says that he wants them to make their own game, with their own vision, and that it will be a collaborative effort with Turn 10.

We were showed a teaser video clip for Forza Horizon that seemed to suggest a party feel with its club music, concert footage and dancing, though Greenawalt later noted that the video was not intended to state what Forza Horizon is or isn't.

http://www.destructoid.com/spin-off-forza-horizon-will-be-released-in-2012-223147.phtml

I wonder what 'forza-isms" Playgrond Games will conjure up?

Sub six inch level, 12 year old with lambo poster on the wall, and IBL has served us well from Greenawalt..

G Rom

I wonder what 'forza-isms" Playgrond Games will conjure up?

Sub six inch level, 12 year old with lambo poster on the wall, and IBL has served us well from Greenawalt..
How could you forget the reverse-engineered sun ? :lol

Also, the lugnuts ! :D

Damn, I just can't wait to hear what the new Beard sanctioned hype stuff for FM5 will be, especially if it's next-gen. You know you all like it !

To me this is the next PGR. With all the former developers on board. Its going to be sick to see what they have in store. Im a huge fan of PGR series, the TOCA series and Dirt. So who knows what they have cooked up for us.

saladine1

To me this is the next PGR. With all the former developers on board. Its going to be sick to see what they have in store. Im a huge fan of PGR series, the TOCA series and Dirt. So who knows what they have cooked up for us.

But no – we can read your mind on this one – Forza Horizon isn’t the spiritual continuation of Bizarre’s flagship racing series, Project Gotham Racing. Greenawalt insists it’s still Forza, just not the same Forza a numbered installment would imply.

:)

cbox

Unfortunately, Activision owns the Geometry Wars IP... :-/

This saddens me :( Still one of my fav arcade games ever made.

THANKFULLY

me and a buddy are creating a similar game with our own spin on it, hope to have it on live indie in the next month or so

saladine1

“Forza Horizon” (Playground Games) – “Forza Horizon” is a fast-paced, pick-up-and-play racing game and the newest entry in the Forza Motorsport franchise. Available this Fall, the game is being created in partnership with acclaimed racing development studio Playground Games.

Forza now has a second team at the helm with Playground Games, who are creating Forza Horizon for a release this fall. Nothing else was confirmed, but we’ve been told it’s akin to Test Drive Unlimited 2.

amar212

What were you hoping for Mr. Mclaren?

He was hoping for the full-simulation 60fps hard-core open-world game with day/night changes, variable weather and competitive online with iRacing-type skill-system :)

I will be happy just with the FM4-level wheel-support and deep single-player mode.

Multiplayer does not interest me, although I know it will be the main focus for the mainstream audience. But I would just adore to get spiritual successor to the first Test Drive Unlimited.

G Rom

I was hoping it would be more like Project CARS. A lot of people own Fanatec wheels now so I think it would be cool if there was a sim-ier Forza game.

We probable don't have the same definition of "a lot". People with racing wheels represent a tiny part of the total number of players and even tinier is the number of people owning a Fanatec wheel...

saladine1

He was hoping for the full-simulation 60fps hard-core open-world game with day/night changes, variable weather and competitive online with iRacing-type skill-system :)

I will be happy just with the FM4-level wheel-support and deep single-player mode.

Multiplayer does not interest me, although I know it will be the main focus for the mainstream audience. But I would just adore to get spiritual successor to the first Test Drive Unlimited.

lol, I had an inkling that's what he wanted.

Seriously, if anyone thought that Forza Horizon was going to be hardcore sim with a robotic soul, needed a reality check.
Obviously, to differentiate between Forza 4, a whole different flavour was needed in order to draw in a new crowd as well as present some freshness to the franchise and same old, same old was not going to cut it...

cbox

I would absolutely kill for an open world with sim physics - TDU and other similar games were unplayable because the cars handled like matchboxes.

saladine1

I would absolutely kill for an open world with sim physics - TDU and other similar games were unplayable because the cars handled like matchboxes.

As much as I would like that as well, the reality is an open world sim would probably not be as fun as we would imagine.

In saying that, I'm more than confident that the physics in Horizon will not be as shitty as TDU 2. A PGR esque type of handling would be fine by me..

Oh, and Turn 10 has released a teaser trailer today!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC2A03ifIks

I know.

Seriously, let's get something a little more informative ffs!

Xun

As much as I would like that as well, the reality is an open world sim would probably not be as fun as we would imagine.

In saying that, I'm more than confident that the physics in Horizon will not be as shitty as TDU 2. A PGR esque type of handling would be fine by me..

Oh, and Turn 10 has released a teaser trailer today!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC2A03ifIks

I know.

Seriously, let's get something a little more informative ffs!
I just noticed the Lambo at the end is very badly composited on...

saladine1

Greenawalt wants to take on the world!!

......Turn 10's Dan Greenawalt says it's his ambition for Forza to be as big as both NASCAR and F1.

"To us, the exciting aspect of the news (Forza Horizon) is what it's doing to us in terms of our aspiration and our vision," Greenawalt told Eurogamer at Microsoft's Spring Showcase. "Our vision is to make an impact, in car culture and in gaming culture. While we're happy with the success we've had, there are obviously still bigger gaming brands out there. When you look at car culture, there's F1 and there's NASCAR, and we're not having the impact that they are."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-05-forza-looking-to-hit-annual-cadence

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
TDU done right could be awesome! bummed there isnt more to share and no media at all. e3 reveal it is then :(

saladine1

So it looks like we won't be getting any more info/screens/vids for a while.

Either way, what do you think this game is exactly?
What do you hope to see?

Personally, I hope that customization and upgrades still play a part in the game....and more...

Either a point to point race across some challenging roads in different countries around the world or something like TDU, upgrades will be in, tuning may not.

Again, keep the handling and feel of the cars like Forza 4 and it's all good.

Plus 30fps.

Forza now has a second team at the helm with Playground Games, who are creating Forza Horizon for a release this fall. Nothing else was confirmed, but we’ve been told it’s akin to Test Drive Unlimited 2.
/single-tear-of-joy

The possibilities in a game like this are endless. Here' hoping we see day/night cycles, multiple surfaces (snow/dirt/sand/gravel, etc), a mixture of open ended roads, tight city streets and rally like off-road sections. They should also put a few closed circuits in for good measure.

I know I'm probably alone in this but I'd like to see other aspects of a car represented as well, like storage space and fuel efficiency - that way players could make some custom challenges in homage of Top Gear.

Example: Something I always though would be fun would be a point to point race to deliver as much contraband/cargo in a limited amount of time. That way each player can make their best choice for speed/storage/off road capabilities.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
/single-tear-of-joy

The possibilities in a game like this are endless. Here' hoping we see day/night cycles, multiple surfaces (snow/dirt/sand/gravel, etc), a mixture of open ended roads, tight city streets and rally like off-road sections. They should also put a few closed circuits in for good measure.

I know I'm probably alone in this but I'd like to see other aspects of a car represented as well, like storage space and fuel efficiency - that way players could make some custom challenges in homage of Top Gear.

Well, remember the Top Gear partnership was a multi-year partnership, so maybe your on to something...

...maybe...

...maybe Forza Horizon takes place in Dunsfold!

/tinfoilhat

Seriously, adding in some classic Top Gear Tests would be awesome. Give me the $10K Italian Supercars or the $1k? Porsches.

Or even a long distance race between an off road car, a super car and something else.

There is a chance here to really have some fun with the Top Gear license.

Cptkrush

An open-world sim racer could end up being the most boring game of all-time, at least in the top 5 lol.

For you, perhaps. For me, quite the opposite. And I'm sure there's about as many people that bought and enjoyed forza 1-4 that feel the same as I do. The best way for them to do this is to use forza physics with options to make it more arcadey. Keyword: options.

Seriously, adding in some classic Top Gear Tests would be awesome. Give me the $10K Italian Supercars or the $1k? Porsches.

Or even a long distance race between an off road car, a super car and something else.

There is a chance here to really have some fun with the Top Gear license.

Holy shit, I didn't even think of that. Must include used car buying with chances of breakdowns and lemons for Top Gear shenanigans

Top Bottom