• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 - October 2009 release (ignore the OP at your peril)

Just got back from a UK Press Xbox Play/Interview/Chat event at E3 for this and I have to say it's really a gigantic, gigantic improvement over Forza 2. Great stuff.

Iknos

BCD2 said:
The "seating" position is much closer in this Gamespot video than in the R8 video. I wonder if it's adjustable.

Well, I've noticed that in the conference showing, it was single screen and the view was more realistic as in it was in the position of where your head would be. In this view you can see your mirrors easily.

But in the pics of the 3 screen setup, the cockpit view comes up a bit closer to the wheel, and the right and left screens show you things like your mirrors.

So maybe that footage is coming from the middle screen of a 3 screen setup.

jaydogg691

Shogmaster said:
Which Forza 3 did you play? Everyone else (including myself) played the 60fps one. You should have asked for the 60fps version. They were hiding these from you.
I was playing on the steering wheel setup (the one to the right of setup with the hydraulics system) with the 3 screens (which was badass). I know the difference between 60 and 30fps and the cockpit view runs at 30 frames pre-second, just the like the startup, car selection and replays from the demo I played. The game runs at 60fps when playing from 3rd person, 1st person and the hood perspective. The game still has months to go, so probably that will be fixed in the release.

FrankT

Shogmaster said:
Which Forza 3 did you play? Everyone else (including myself) played the 60fps one. You should have asked for the 60fps version. They were hiding these from you.

:lol

Iknos

jaydogg691 said:
I was playing on the steering wheel setup (the one to the right of setup with the hydraulics system) with the 3 screens (which was badass). I know the difference between 60 and 30fps and the cockpit view runs at 30 frames pre-second, just the like the startup, car selection and replays from the demo I played. The game runs at 60fps when playing from 3rd person, 1st person and the hood perspective. The game still has months to go, so probably that will be fixed in the release.

Is it 30fps with motion blur?

jaydogg691 said:

I played in nothing but cockpit view. It was 60 fps. If anything, cockpit view is easier to render @ 60 fps, since a huge portion of the screen is covered by fairly static element, which makes your supposition rather wacky.

Onemic

Shogmaster said:
I played in nothing but cockpit view. It was 60 fps. If anything, cockpit view is easier to render @ 60 fps, since a huge portion of the screen is covered by fairly static element, which makes your supposition rather wacky.

Wouldn't it actually be much harder as the game has to render that rather highly detailed static element. I thought the main reason cockpit view wasn't put into racing games until recently was because they used too many resources.

onemic said:
Wouldn't it actually be much harder as the game has to render that rather highly detailed static element. I thought the main reason cockpit view wasn't put into racing games until recently was because they used too many resources.
It's much harder to render moving scenery. They didn't do cockpit views because they didn't want to model all those interiors. Modeling with such detail = lots of work = lots of money.

eso76

holy shit at that Gamersyde video. The cars and track are amazing.
I only wish i could see a replay

Damn, gamespot stage demo is not working for me : \

worked !
beautiful, replay angles vindicated ! car selection screen is much more stylish. Can't wait

golem

Played some tonight. Good stuff.

3591817502_9f6a482701.jpg

3591816606_cf2e3e5f92.jpg

Game feels great from cockpit mode.. but it doesn't seem to me that its 60fps (not saying im an expert or didn't have a bunch of alcohol in my system, but that's what I felt)

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
golem said:
Played some tonight. Good stuff.

3591817502_9f6a482701.jpg

3591816606_cf2e3e5f92.jpg

Game feels great from cockpit mode.. but it doesn't seem to me that its 60fps (not saying im an expert or didn't have a bunch of alcohol in my system, but that's what I felt)

Ha, I was there (Thanks a million, Che!)...Got back a little while ago, my body 'n' brains plied with whiskey. @_@ Fun times, the motion simulator was a trip and perhaps not the best idea after my fourth drink as far as legitimate impressions go, but overall, I love what I saw. Very smooth...bonnet or first person view felt more like 60fps than cockpit or 3rd person views did, but who knows. Cockpit view is a little tight for my tastes, but it's still a nice addition (especially if you have a 3 screen set-up with full motion seat and the new wheel). I tend not to use cockpit view as more than a novelty anyway though.

The tracks were great, all 3 variations on the rocky hillside Spanish "fantasy" track from the trailer...Very sharp backgrounds, nice elevation changes and a couple of tricky turns here and there. Felt like Forza, but better. I wish I could've checked out the livery or video editing, but I understand those features not being available for this event.

acm2000

so 30fps with motion blur in cockpit, 60fps everywhere else? i could live with that, if the cockpit has the same atmosphere that GRiD portrays, would prefer all 60fps with motion blur tho :p

we need che to confirm

JimiNutz

Banned
Graphics look great but the cockpit mode in Shift makes the racing seem so much more visceral.
I'm not really a fan of racing sims but I'd still like to try both this and Shift out.

eso76

acm2000 said:
so 30fps with motion blur in cockpit, 60fps everywhere else? i could live with that, if the cockpit has the same atmosphere that GRiD portrays, would prefer all 60fps with motion blur tho :p

we need che to confirm

i'm not sure who spread this rumor but judging by the videos (i know they are encoded at 30 fps but you still see a difference...60fps content encoded at 30fps retains omitted frames in the form of motion blur) there's absolutely no difference when the visual switches. It could still be 30fps + motion blur, but there's absolutely no reason why rendering a cockpit would be more demanding than rendering the whole car in front of you. Maybe someone just saw a replay (which is pretty much guaranteed to run at 30fps+motion blur) through cockpit camera and thought that was ingame.

I'm surprised they have that many cars to choose from on the showfloor, since we had only seen the Audi R8 cockpit i assumed it was the only fully modeled car they had at this time, which is what made me doubt the october release.

btw, I need more videos.
MORE MORE MORE

Brashnir

eso76 said:
i'm not sure who spread this rumor but judging by the videos (i know they are encoded at 30 fps but you still see a difference...60fps content encoded at 30fps retains omitted frames in the form of motion blur) there's absolutely no difference when the visual switches. It could still be 30fps + motion blur, but there's absolutely no reason why rendering a cockpit would be more demanding than rendering the whole car in front of you. Maybe someone just saw a replay (which is pretty much guaranteed to run at 30fps+motion blur) through cockpit camera and thought that was ingame.

I'm surprised they have that many cars to choose from on the showfloor, since we had only seen the Audi R8 cockpit i assumed it was the only fully modeled car they had at this time, which is what made me doubt the october release.

btw, I need more videos.
MORE MORE MORE

You can always see one, and can often see portions of two rear-view mirrors in cockpit mode though. Is there any rear-view cameras in chase mode? Rendering the mirrors could possibly account for the difference.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
proposition said:
Did anyone comment on that awesome bluff by Che a few weeks ago, implying that the cockpit view wouldn't be in F3? Nice work.

Yes, he's a prick :D

Falagard

proposition said:
Did anyone comment on that awesome bluff by Che a few weeks ago, implying that the cockpit view wouldn't be in F3? Nice work.

Ya, a few people have mentioned it. I agree - it was a well played deception.

RSTEIN

Falagard said:
Ya, a few people have mentioned it. I agree - it was a well played deception.

I would say that most people here on the forum knew about 90% of the stuff revealed at the conferences. I was genuinely shocked when the view switched to cockpit during the stage video. I think I may have done a fist pump. Well played, Che. Well played.

Falagard

RSTEIN said:
I would say that most people here on the forum knew about 90% of the stuff revealed at the conferences. I was genuinely shocked when the view switched to cockpit during the stage video. I think I may have done a fist pump. Well played, Che. Well played.

I was surprised and impressed by rolling and cockpit view. The video editor which allows you to export .wmv files and upload them to forzamotorsport.net is going to produce some amazing results.

Graphically it looks very nice. The replays are much better - that GameTrailers video shows them off. I have a list of games I'm really looking forward to this holiday, and Forza 3 is right up there with the rest, if not jockying for top position.

pswii60

Forza 2 was boring as hell IMHO, but this looks like loads of fun. Interesting environments/tracks and you can spin your car over. That's what it's all about!

acm2000

pswii60 said:
Forza 2 was boring as hell IMHO, but this looks like loads of fun. Interesting environments/tracks and you can spin your car over. That's what it's all about!

the only thing boring was the lack of tracks, needed more, and the fact that its campaign progression was as retarded and grinding as GTs

rjcc

acm2000 said:
the only thing boring was the lack of tracks, needed more, and the fact that its campaign progression was as retarded and grinding as GTs

yeah the same campaign progression again after forza 1 and the gran turismos just put me to sleep, I hope it's mixed up better now, and please turn10 if you're listening -- when I'm racing a five race series with six cars, I have to win every one to progress, and one car is wayyyyy faster than the others, then it's really only a two car race. don't do that.

These new videos look fantastic. I can't wait to see some direct feed.

acm2000 said:

we need che to confirm
I'm sure he'll be happy to confirm that the game, and it's brand new graphics engine is in an unfinished state. :p

Wake me in September if it looks like we still have a problem.

jonah777 said:
How exactly would you get this to work from one Xbox?
You don't, the left and right sides are other 360's synced with the main box, you need 3 consoles and 3 copies of the game.

Forza 1 and 2 both allow multiple screens, but with Forza 1 you had to use a special name when creating your save to enable it.

I'm excited to hear they are changing the single player to some kind of dynamic calendar system. It sounds awesome and they definitely needed to change up the single player game.

I am a bit disappointed about the way they're describing the online multi-player. It basically sounds like what they've done with the first two Forza games in that all ranked games are essentially rooms created by other players. All this means is that half the rooms are going to be U class oval races and now drag races.

I was hoping to hear about a Halo type of matchmaking system where Turn 10 sets the individual types of races and every one picks from that play list. Maybe they'll end up with something like that but it doesn't sound like it from the interviews so far.

RSTEIN

pedrothelion said:
I am a bit disappointed about the way they're describing the online multi-player. It basically sounds like what they've done with the first two Forza games in that all ranked games are essentially rooms created by other players.

Yeah, this is my worry as well. I just want to play standard races most of the time. In my perfect world, the only real thing that should be fiddled with is stock vs. custom. If I want to race an A class car I should be able to easily find an A class game with a race setup that's pretty standard. I don't want a whole bunch of stupid custom games clogging everything up. I hope there's a nice core list of races and I can easily hide/eliminate custom games from my search.

More D and C tuned races hopefully, they are so much more fun then S and U because it take's a little more skill to pass and keep speed in every corner, not to say I hate the higher classes but low class racing is special in it's own way.

Top Bottom