• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 - October 2009 release (ignore the OP at your peril)

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
voodoo said:
and just see lots of cockpit and sky then?

mmpfee.jpg

:lol

driving around like that would be ridiculous.

Maybe actually lower the perspective 2 in game inches, I see what he is saying.

Iknos

amar212 said:
2rhs4f6.jpg

IMO, the seating position should been much, much lower when in LMP car than presented here.

As shown, POW is just too high. And it is even more noticable in the video.

While I really like the cockpit details though :D

I would agree that it should be lower but not much much lower.

When it passes the Peugots the height of the camera looks a tad higher than the driver's head in the closed cockpit..which is why I'm inclined to agree with you that it should be lower. But I think you're overstating it a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MItqDFypDM

In this vid the camera which is at the driver's head level...or maybe even lower... is at the same height as the top of the side view mirror. It's like that in the Forza vid as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYZtn8U3Uok <-- not R10 but it gives me an indication of the height of open wheel seatings in general.

amar212 said:
It should be more like this, with preserving the POW width-field.

fvdap1.jpg

Che, will we be able to alter the seating in any way?

Actually that looks about right.

No...sorry...too low. If you have a halfway between your pic and the Forza one it would be just right.

I suppose the key factor here was playability.

eso76

POV and field of view in cockpit look perfect to me. When i drive i focus my view on the road, with my hands and the wheel being at the lower edge of my peripheral vision.

Including stuff that would normally be relegated to your peripheral vision in a fixed view would be silly and would drastically reduce actual gameplay estate, not to mention make gauges unreadable and cars proportion look off.

I tried driving the car i drive IRL in that 'other game', and cockpit view looks completely wrong; including that much 'dashboard' makes me feel like i'm driving a miniature car or driving while sitting on the backseat, very different from the real thing.
I'd say T10 nailed it as far as i'm concerned.

Of course being able to adjust the view wouldn't be bad in any case.

amar212

I'm not bashing it or anything, I just say it loks somewhat too high in the video/gameplay.

I do not agree about the visibility-argument though, but I do not want to open unnecessary Pandora's Box.

I'd prefer if it is lower, since it would give greater immersion of seating in LMP car - where you actually sit almost on the clearance point of the bottom. However, that is just IMO, so no real problem there I guess.

Iknos

amar212 said:
I'd prefer if it is lower, since it would give greater immersion of seating in LMP car - where you actually sit almost on the clearance point of the bottom. However, that is just IMO, so no real problem there I guess.

Yeah it's really a game of inches here. In the vid I posted you can see the camera look at the driver and the cam sits around 3 inches higher than where his eyes are.

ztynlu.jpg

And that is the view you get...which looks a tiny bit higher than FM3's view. So it's not really that big of a difference here.

amar212 said:
I do not agree about the visibility-argument though, but I do not want to open unnecessary Pandora's Box.

We've already discussed it and it's been discussed countless time on other sim racing game forums.

-Size of screen
-Distance from screen

Are the biggest factors you have to cope with when adjusting your FOV and camera placement. Everyone will have their own preferences. Perhaps one day we'll see console racers with full adjustability...until then people will complain.

amar212

Iknos said:
Are you sure you can adjust the FOV in TDU? I should just check right now but I'm too lazy.

Yes, quite nicely.

Seating altering is available in both height/distance, and it was a simple yet great feture. My Sagaris just loved it.

Hawk SE

amar212 said:
Yes, quite nicely.

Seating altering is available in both height/distance, and it was a simple yet great feture. My Sagaris just loved it.

TDU was a fun game. And I agree, you could adjust all of that.

So we should get a FM3 60fps vid today and news today or tomorrow still right?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Hawk xSx said:
TDU was a fun game. And I agree, you could adjust all of that.

So we should get a FM3 60fps vid today and news today or tomorrow still right?

Yup.

Chrange

Banned
Fender_Uk said:
its not realistic is the point

If the cars are realistic, the physics are realistic, the collisions are realistic, and the tracks are realistic, I think most people would be willing to accept that their driver is 6'4" instead of 6'1" so they can see the track.

Your perspective from the seat being "off" by an inch or two shouldn't be a dealbreaker, especially if it's changed for playability. Horrible collisions or cornering - that would be.

eso76

Fender_Uk said:

comparing a picture on a screen with your field of view is stupid; a picture with a comparable focal lenght as your eyes will display stuff you'd relegate to peripheral vision when driving, thus wasting tons of screen estate with stuff you don't need to focus on.

As for realism...
You surely understand sensible game designers have to adjust 'realism' to the medium for things to work when you hold your pad and look at a screen instead of through your cars windshield.

Whereas stereoscopic vision allowes you to judge distances and depth in real life, a videogame you'll play on a 2d screen must give you a different kind of advantage for you to be able to drive like you would in real life.

Exactly because the game aims for a realistic feel, it should NOT exactly replicate the driver's point of view, rather the way you'd perceive distances. Since they're dealing with a 2d representation of reality, the point of view must be changed slightly, to compensate for the lack of depth.

amar212

OK, I will not say anything again because every time I ask some question it comes back to me as a bashing boomerang..

My first thought when I saw the video is that position POW is too high, thus producing not-so-natural immersion of seating in-cockpit.

I understand "playability" argument, but I'd prefer POW to be a bit lower because it would give me more claustrophobic feel which better correspond with nature of an LMP car.

However, I have no real problem with it as it is, because everything else is in the right place.

Magni

Che, will we be able to display speed in km/h and power in hp at the same time in FM3? In FM2, if we want to use the metric system for one measure, we have to use it for every measure.. Who actually uses kW for cars?

Just a little bump for my question from the other day..

Oh, and :D @ 60FPS vid today

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Fender_Uk said:

GT's bumper car physics aren't realistic
Forza's fantasy track layouts aren't realistic
GT's _______ aren't realistic
Forza's _______ aren't realistic
and so on
and so on

They're games dude.

Senua

Gold Member
RSTEIN said:
GT's bumper car physics aren't realistic
Forza's fantasy track layouts aren't realistic
GT's _______ aren't realistic
Forza's _______ aren't realistic
and so on
and so on

They're games dude.
yea but this is something very simple, they could just move the camera down a bit

Bogie19th

Neo Member
Psychotext said:
Fixed, because it's really got very little to do with the games, and far more to do with the platforms.

Well stated. You know darn well if Forza was a PS3 title, and GT5 was a 360 title....that the PS3 fans would be praising Forza, and vice verse.

h3ro

Rad Agast said:
Does any one know if it's possible to have the three screens setup using different region 360s?

Shouldn't be a problem, unless the game is region locked. Meaning you'd need a copy of the game specific to the region of each 360, and even then, it might not work if the different versions of the game don't recognize each other.

Che?

eso76

ExtraKr1spy said:
Reveal/anouncement tomorrow is either gonna be the Ferrari one(likely) or Monza!(Italian GP is this weekend)

D:

Neither.
Well, they did say it's not the ferrari blowout (soon, though) and i personally don't believe monza is in.

chespace

Ultimo hombre said:
while waiting for the video to upload? cool!

Don't hype yourselves up for disappointment for this video. It's a good (but short) example of how FM3 drives in-game. I purposefully did one of our shorter tracks to keep churn here to a minimum. We're busy making other videos. :D Also, the bitrate on the downloadable version isn't going to be super high since it'll prob chug on some of the slower PCs out there. Anyway, we'll get it online soon.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
chespace said:
Don't hype yourselves up for disappointment for this video. It's a good (but short) example of how FM3 drives in-game. I purposefully did one of our shorter tracks to keep churn here to a minimum. We're busy making other videos. :D Also, the bitrate on the downloadable version isn't going to be super high since it'll prob chug on some of the slower PCs out there. Anyway, we'll get it online soon.

Seat position better be really low. Like an Oompa Loompa driving a Miura. Anything else is bogus bullshottery by you guys trying to cheat us out of skybox and vinyl surfaces.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
So next week on Friday evening there is a Forza 3 press conference here in Paris, not far from where I live. I thought I wouldn't be able to go, but it looks like it will be after work, so unless they go retarded on us (and it's *always* a possibility with MS) I'll get some footage :)
chespace said:
Also, the bitrate on the downloadable version isn't going to be super high since it'll prob chug on some of the slower PCs out there. Anyway, we'll get it online soon.
A high bitrate version will work just fine for my visitors. Hint hint, wink wink ;)

chespace

OuterWorldVoice said:
Seat position better be really low. Like an Oompa Loompa driving a Miura. Anything else is bogus bullshottery by you guys trying to cheat us out of skybox and vinyl surfaces.

Let's you and I try to make this oompa loompa thing happen at TGS.

Senua

Gold Member
OuterWorldVoice said:
just another fanboy who cant accept the game isnt perfect

Blimblim said:
So next week on Friday evening there is a Forza 3 press conference here in Paris, not far from where I live. I thought I wouldn't be able to go, but it looks like it will be after work, so unless they go retarded on us (and it's *always* a possibility with MS) I'll get some footage :)

A high bitrate version will work just fine for my visitors. Hint hint, wink wink ;)

Seriously che, send this man the high bitrate version. Not all of us are trying to watch these video with integrated graphics afterall. Stop doing your videos a disservice.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Fender_Uk said:
just another fanboy who cant accept the game isnt perfect

According to my Avatar, I am a Dune fanboy. According to your avatar, you're a troll with really weird ideas about what sitting in a car is like.

Edit: Holy SHIT at your post history.

Top Bottom