• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 - October 2009 release (ignore the OP at your peril)

ruxtpin

Banned
May have been mentioned, but aren't they launching a new racing wheel with this game? I remember seeing some pics of a new wheel a while back, but I might be thinking of something coming out for GT5. I can't remember which it was...

Cheeto said:
Someone just needs to make a fully functional wheel that works on all platforms. (That doesn't cost half a grand!)
No doubt... and with GT5, Forza 3 and Shift coming up you'd think now would be the perfect time to. But apparently not.

ruxtpin said:
May have been mentioned, but aren't they launching a new racing wheel with this game? I remember seeing some pics of a new wheel a while back, but I might be thinking of something coming out for GT5. I can't remember which it was...
This one: http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/The-Ultimate-Racing-Wheel-for-Xbox-360.htm

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
speaking of the 3 tracks from spain... as far as i know we havent seen any footage of the third selectable track, "seirra" something-something.

blim? anyone else at e3?

bloodforge said:
There's no rules that you can't use Logitech wheels. They use a different protocol for the 360 force feedback, its up to Logitech to get the wheels working, not Microsoft.

Absurd. Xbox 360 peripherals have to be validated (afaik through a chip). A wheel as the G25 hasn't been approved and can't be used. I'm sure it is to prevent cheating devices and to ensure a certain level of quality. But I'm sure it's also to retain control over the market.

All this has probably given MS the freedom to develop their own protocol, but I doubt that it is the reason for the exclusion of Logitech wheels.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Spaceman Spiff said:
For the new page:

Regarding that suspicious looking ad:

Don't know how saladine1 knows this, but after the Halo: Reach fiasco and it turning out to be a reality, I may be willing to believe. :lol

yeah but that news came out by the way of a bungie.net error

as far as i can tell... you're just believing the re-reporting of this, possibly with false info

PjotrStroganov said:
Absurd. Xbox 360 peripherals have to be validated (afaik through a chip). A wheel as the G25 hasn't been approved and can't be used. I'm sure it is to prevent cheating devices and to ensure a certain level of quality. But I'm sure it's also to retain control over the market.

All this has probably given MS the freedom to develop their own protocol, but I doubt that it is the reason for the exclusion of Logitech wheels.

Well if it is being validated through a chip, and the the logitech does not have the chip, that would seem like the reason don't you think?

The wheel the game is being demoed on works for all systems. It's not like MS is preventing this from happening.

op_ivy

DopeyFish said:

as far as i can tell... you're just believing the re-reporting of this, possibly with false info

something i'm still unclear about...

wi4nbs.jpg

where did this originate?

DopeyFish said:

You could well be right, I was mostly kidding around and my posts may not have accurately conveyed my skepticism. We've been burned plenty of times before on "news" like this and I'll truly believe it when I see it.

I'll go ahead and delete my post to try to prevent any future confusion.

blanky said:
Isn't that about the audi event for FM3 where they're going to do an endurance race in FM3?

Crap, forgot all about this. Press release says it takes place on the 13-14th, alongside Le Mans.

Xbox 360 - Uses XID protocol for USB devices (propietary tech, MS owned)
G25 - Uses HID protocol (open tech)

The only way the G25 can be used on the 360 is if MS start to allow HID control devices on the 360 or if Logitech start paying MS the licensing fee for XID to use with G25.

WHOAguitarninja said:
Well if it is being validated through a chip, and the the logitech does not have the chip, that would seem like the reason don't you think?

The wheel the game is being demoed on works for all systems. It's not like MS is preventing this from happening.
I can only guess why Logitech won't/can't get a good wheel out with the chip. Probably monetary reasons that we don't know of. It could just as well be that MS asks a fee for every compatible wheel and Logitech not accepting this as a result.

sionyboy said:
Xbox 360 - Uses XID protocol for USB devices (propietary tech, MS owned)
G25 - Uses HID protocol (open tech)

The only way the G25 can be used on the 360 is if MS start to allow HID control devices on the 360 or if Logitech start paying MS the licensing fee for XID to use with G25.

Aha. But unlike some people said before, this has nothing to do with Force Feedback itself.

tomchoucrew said:
MS invite (french only?) webstites to play the game at 24 Heures du Mans :)

And here is the packshot

forza3_jaquette1.jpg

Love the box. I wish First Party games would design their box with the understanding that the plastic shell is green, though. The art is awesome but it's made much worse by the green shell. I suppose I could switch it with a PS2 case if I really wanted though.

op_ivy

so, no demo. just the 24 hours race dealio PR thing for audi and le mans. wish i got to play it :(

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Eurogamer hands on

Dedication is an overriding memory of Forza 2. Hugely involving in its handling, tuning and customisation, the game was more of a war of attrition in terms of its career mode content. Boiling down simply to vast tracts of circuit racing under various class, car and tuning restrictions, it was easy to get lost in its breadth, or weary of its lack of variety.

Turn 10's aiming to fix this with a "season mode". Although the main career will still present an overview of 200 events, season mode boils these down to three at any moment, populating your calendar with events based on your preferences, performance, what you've raced in the past and which cars you buy, and then feeding these through to you as necessary. As for variety, we're told to expect oval racing for the first time, as well as drifting and drag racing. It's a much-needed overhaul; here's hoping it goes deep enough that Forza's long-term structure can match its superb moment-to-moment racing.

On the multiplayer side, we're teased with an "emergent" multiplayer game type that will tie into Forza's philosophy of user-created content. On that front, Forza's adding a comprehensive video editor to its paint and tuning suites and photo mode, to give another set of creative car fans another outlet - two, in fact, since it will give drivers a chance to show off, as well as budding Top Gear directors. Forza has been incredibly successful in fostering community activity in the past, with Forza 2's car marketplace doing brisk trades in exclusive tuners and liveries, and this time Turn 10 is adding scoreboards for the most successful and famous creators, as well as the fastest drivers.

Microsoft has three tracks on show, all originals, all set in a vertiginous, rocky and green alpine setting. A road circuit, a test circuit and a Formula One-style track, they are relatively fast and sweeping with some interesting bumps and camber changes - and pretty, too: lush, crisp, colourful and brightly lit, just like the cars, which sport full damage-modelling (cosmetic, simulation or intermediate) and can even roll. Forza 3 looks a little less clinical that its predecessor - but still quite clinical, and despite Turn 10's confidence that it has the best-looking racing game in the world on its hands, it can't quite match GT5 Prologue's near-photorealism, GRID's bustling track drama or Need For Speed Shift's thrilling in-car view.

it can't quite match GT5 Prologue's near-photorealism, GRID's bustling track drama or Need For Speed Shift's thrilling in-car view.

Too bad that doesn't mean shit when all I want is Forza's superb handling. The fact that Forza 3 will probably have graphics to match is icing on the cake.

Does the current official 360 MS wheel support FF or is it only rumble? (I can't remember) because no way I can afford the new expensive limited one but I am willing to splash £50 on the old wheel closer to the release of F3, nearly brought one for F2 but looking back I had no good space to set it up, but I do now.

eso76

saladine1 said:
Let's just say....save the date...

But seriously,something IS going to go down.

WHO ARE YOU ??

*searches more posts from Saladine1*

sorry, search is disabled

DAMN !

Not getting my hopes up, especially since i don't think a playable demo would feature a different track than the ones demoed at E3.
Random thoughts;

Not too worried about the 30fps thing in cockpit even if it wasn't fixed for the retail version(and excuses to those i doubted...you know, it's hard to trust people on framerate matters these days) but one thing is bothering me; all third persons views i've seen lack any rear view mirror; i wouldn't think Turn 10 would sacrifice such a vital feature, but that would explain the difference in smoothness, like someone suggested.

Would be nice if Turn 10 gave gamers a 'blank canvas' to paint symbols to save and paste to your cars, instead of having to paint stuff directly on cars (which forces you to buy a mini and paint on its roof, since it's the largest blank surface in the game i believe : ) )

Would be even nicer if Turn 10 released a PC version of that, more or less..now. So that people could start painting and have stuff ready to export to their cars when the game releases.

custom paintjobs need to be rasterized into significantly higher res textures ingame. oh, i think i've said this already, like once every week over the past 2 years.

RSTEIN

Fallout-NL said:
Too bad that doesn't mean shit when all I want is Forza's superb handling. The fact that Forza 3 will probably have graphics to match is icing on the cake.

Exactly. Why the fuck would I want "bustling track action" in my Forza?

Is Shift 60fps?

rjcc

eso76 said:
WHO ARE YOU ??

*searches more posts from Saladine1*

sorry, search is disabled

DAMN !

Not getting my hopes up, especially since i don't think a playable demo would feature a different track than the ones demoed at E3.
Random thoughts;

Not too worried about the 30fps thing in cockpit even if it wasn't fixed for the retail version(and excuses to those i doubted...you know, it's hard to trust people on framerate matters these days) but one thing is bothering me; all third persons views i've seen lack any rear view mirror; i wouldn't think Turn 10 would sacrifice such a vital feature, but that would explain the difference in smoothness, like someone suggested.

Would be nice if Turn 10 gave gamers a 'blank canvas' to paint symbols to save and paste to your cars, instead of having to paint stuff directly on cars (which forces you to buy a mini and paint on its roof, since it's the largest blank surface in the game i believe : ) )

Would be even nicer if Turn 10 released a PC version of that, more or less..now. So that people could start painting and have stuff ready to export to their cars when the game releases.

custom paintjobs need to be rasterized into significantly higher res textures ingame. oh, i think i've said this already, like once every week over the past 2 years.

didd no one read my post from the OTHER press release on forzamotorsport.net?

Xbox and Audi also announced they will host an exciting and exceptionally unique AXF-24 Audi-Forza Challenge, which will take place June 13-14 at the Audi Forum in New York City. Xbox has selected nine of its top North American Forza competitors as determined by rankings on Xbox Live to converge on New York to compete in a 24-hour endurance competition in “Forza Motorsport 3” running concurrent to the 24 Hours of Le Mans race in France. The gamers will be split into three teams of three drivers, just like Le Mans racing teams on a yet to be announced track debuting in game upon release in October. The winning team at the end of the 24 hours on Sunday morning will win an all-expenses paid trip for them and a guest to the 2010 24 Hours of Le Mans race where they will be hosted by Audi.

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/ne...in-forces-for-debut-of-Forza-Motorsport-3.htm

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
eso76 said:

well during one of the demos someone was saying that the textures on the car were 4 or 6 times the resolution as forza 2 - i'm willing to bet the car liveries will probably have almost or the same resolution boost... but i could be wrong

hie

Fallout-NL said:

yes. yes!!

i'm so hyped for this. i knew i would be, but it's exceeded my expectations greatly so far.

acm2000

Diablohead said:
Does the current official 360 MS wheel support FF or is it only rumble? (I can't remember) because no way I can afford the new expensive limited one but I am willing to splash £50 on the old wheel closer to the release of F3, nearly brought one for F2 but looking back I had no good space to set it up, but I do now.

rumble, force feedback, paddle shift, analog pedals

its a nice wheel for what it is, obviously not up there with g25 etc, but its not trying to be

When people compare graphics of these racers, are they looking only at the replay mode, or actual in-game graphics?

I never understand the constant replay/photo mode images being used as justification for such claims, I'm much more interested in how it looks when I'm actually playing.

Actually, scratch that, I'm more interested in how it handles. Race Pro, I'm looking at your bumper car physics in disgust. :)

eso76

RSTEIN said:
Exactly. Why the fuck would I want "bustling track action" in my Forza?

Is Shift 60fps?

no, and neither is grid, neither is dirt2. Neither of them has cars half as detailed either.
GT5P is 60fps, but from what i've seen scenery is a lot simplier and honestly, Prologue always looked very bland to me ingame, and basically anywhere except from replays and car selection screen. And if these guys are complaining first person cam is not as spectacular as shift and are looking for bustling track action, they most definately have no idea what they're playing.

DopeyFish said:
well during one of the demos someone was saying that the textures on the car were 4 or 6 times the resolution as forza 2 - i'm willing to bet the car liveries will probably have almost or the same resolution boost... but i could be wrong

Oooh, that's great news.
Technically speaking, livery resolution could well be the same as car texture resolution.
Once the livery is rasterized it doesn't need to be treated as an additional texture layer placed on the 'naked' car's texture; they could simply replace naked car's textures altogether with a single texture obtained by merging livery + original car textures.
Yeah, well, explanation was probably more confusing than necessary.
I remember Forza 2 class S cars having higher res decals than the one you could design yourself, which always bothered me : \

h3ro

Turn 10's aiming to fix this with a "season mode". Although the main career will still present an overview of 200 events, season mode boils these down to three at any moment, populating your calendar with events based on your preferences, performance, what you've raced in the past and which cars you buy, and then feeding these through to you as necessary. As for variety, we're told to expect oval racing for the first time, as well as drifting and drag racing. It's a much-needed overhaul; here's hoping it goes deep enough that Forza's long-term structure can match its superb moment-to-moment racing.

They used PGR4's season mode. <3

op_ivy

h3ro said:
They used PGR4's season mode. <3

it does sound similar to that and dirts, in that you get to not only chose what you want to race, but it also sounds quite evolved because it determines your choices based on the cars you have bought and are using, and your past racing habits.

sounds fantastic, the worst thing by far about f2 was the standard career mode infamous in console sim games since gt1 with little changes or improvements

Flo_Evans

op_ivy said:
it does sound similar to that and dirts, in that you get to not only chose what you want to race, but it also sounds quite evolved because it determines your choices based on the cars you have bought and are using, and your past racing habits.

sounds fantastic, the worst thing by far about f2 was the standard career mode infamous in console sim games since gt1 with little changes or improvements

Bah, call me a traditionalist, but I love the standard career path that made you buy all sorts of goofy cars. Factory spec races are the best! It is so easy in these games to just build a beast car and win everything with it.

eso76

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxu8j-ZRz54

good vid and nice quality, shows a couple different cars and the third track we hadn't seen demoed before. Great draw distance on those mountains.
Also, shows the car rolling after a crash, although tbh it doesn't look that good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7kBLkVAbnU

Another video, this time showing a SUV and you can get a glimpse of a few cars we hadn't seen before. Impressed they have so many cars available to choose from in the demo.
Too bad the video is poorly edited, cuts out when things get interesting only to show you the loading screen for maybe 15 seconds ...

Aaaaand... NEW PICS !

FM3_E3_M3(2).jpg

FM3_E3_M3_2(2).jpg

FM3_E3_M3_3(2).jpg

op_ivy

cant get the youtub vids to load but the new screens look good

A new writeup is over at Autoblog.

Turn 10 also availed itself of one of the world's heavyweights in the arena of car technology. McLaren F1 makes a standardized electronics component for all the cars on the F1 grid called the black box. Microsoft is associated with McLaren in the development of that black box software, and that led to Greenwalt going to McLaren's Technology Center and crunching numbers on the same aero simulator built for McLaren F1 driver Lewis Hamilton. Even though there are no F1 cars in Forza 3, the lessons Greenwalt learned about aerodynamics in one of its highest temples have been used to improve the gameplay for the guy in Topeka. "We learned things about aero that mean you get a multimillion dollar simulator for $60."

While Audi's R8 V10 is the marquee car and Turn 10 had near total access in order to recreate it, the dedication to verisimilitude runs throughout. It was said that 9,000 data points were used to model the vehicles. The Audi R8 V10 car, in real life, has twelve vents running down both side of the engine cover, together representing the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The engine centerline is slightly to the left of the centerline of the car in order to package the quattro system most efficiently. The car's two inboard headlights are bracketed by curved bits of metal that take their inspiration from the sail forms of the Sydney Opera House. The LED strips underneath the headlights each have 24 LEDs in them, also in celebration of Le Mans. The dash information display contains a lap timing function that can display three laps at a time. The car's top speed is 196 mph.

All of those features have been recreated on the R8 V10 in the game.

Details on the 24-hour Forza 3 endurance race running alongside Le Mans next week:

A contest has already been held to decide three teams of Forza 3 players who would compete in an actual 24-hour race at the Audi Forum in New York City to coincide with The 24 Hours of Le Mans. Said Younghee Wong, in Audi's experiential marketing department, "There will be 3 teams of three just like the real race, they start at the same time as Le Mans, 9 am New York time, and they can't do more than quadruple stints [1 stint = 1 hour]. We're bringing an R10 race car to the Forum and Audi Sport North America will demonstrate a pit stop and how to do a tire change. There will even be a room to sleep in. The winning team goes to the 2010 Le Mans with Audi."

Sounds like great fun. Hopefully we'll get videos or some form of coverage of the event.

op_ivy

eso76 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxu8j-ZRz54

good vid and nice quality, shows a couple different cars and the third track we hadn't seen demoed before. Great draw distance on those mountains.
Also, shows the car rolling after a crash, although tbh it doesn't look that good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7kBLkVAbnU

Another video, this time showing a SUV and you can get a glimpse of a few cars we hadn't seen before. Impressed they have so many cars available to choose from in the demo.
Too bad the video is poorly edited, cuts out when things get interesting only to show you the loading screen for maybe 15 seconds ...

Aaaaand... NEW PICS !

FM3_E3_M3(2).jpg

FM3_E3_M3_2(2).jpg

FM3_E3_M3_3(2).jpg

none of those showed the 3rd track, still unseen on the net (as far as i'm aware). camino veijo is the road track with the great views, ladera (the one seen here) is more of a standard track, then the last (unseen) is sierra something or other...

RSTEIN

Love this pic

04_forza_ms3_e309.jpg

DeadGzuz said:
That pic looks like a car driving around in the Fable 2 world, they are not aiming for photo realism?

Please nobody respond to this guy. Biggest troll on GAF. Don't feed his need for attention.

nib95

Banned
DeadGzuz said:
That pic looks like a car driving around in the Fable 2 world, they are not aiming for photo realism?

That's a horrible exaggeration, but I think that's the main difference between GT and Forza in regards to visuals. Forza has a slightly vibrant near art work like appeal about it. May be due to the high contrast of colours, especially in the track. And it may partly be due to the slightly more bold lighting or thick, toy varnish like lacquer of the paint on vehicles. It doesn't quite have the photo realism or accurate reflective paint quality of vehicles in GT, but I don't mind that. I prefer that they both have slightly different art directions.

GT's is more photo realistic and in places sterile. Forza's is more vibrant and bold.

nib95 said:
That's a horrible exaggeration, but I think that's the main difference between GT and Forza in regards to visuals. Forza has a slightly vibrant near art work like appeal about it. May be due to the high contrast of colours, especially in the track. And it may partly be due to the slightly more bold lighting or toy varnish like lacquer of the paint on vehicles. It doesn't quite have the photo realism or accurate reflective paint quality of vehicles in GT, but I don't mind that. I prefer that they both have slightly different art directions.

GT's is more photo realistic and in places sterile. Forza's is more vibrant and bold.

dude that guy is like the worst troll around lately, don't even need to bother replying to his nonsense but I agree with your take on the different graphic styles.

Zinthar

Definite day 1 for me -- Forza has been my favorite racing series dating back to the original.

Now, the question is: Do I go for the expensive, but seemingly awesome, new Fanatec wheel.

My previous experiences with racing game wheels has been disappointing -- the FF never seemed to make up for the inability to quickly make steering corrections. I can drive laps much faster with the 360 pad than with the original 360 wheel (same goes for Forza 1 and the simulated FF Fanatec wheel it was sold with).

Also, I'm moving in with my girlfriend in 2 months -- not sure whether a wheel setup (esp if I build something with PVC pipe for it) will go over too well with her, even if it was easy to convince her that we needed a 70 lb. subwoofer in the living room...

acm2000

nib95 said:
That's a horrible exaggeration, but I think that's the main difference between GT and Forza in regards to visuals. Forza has a slightly vibrant near art work like appeal about it. May be due to the high contrast of colours, especially in the track. And it may partly be due to the slightly more bold lighting or thick, toy varnish like lacquer of the paint on vehicles. It doesn't quite have the photo realism or accurate reflective paint quality of vehicles in GT, but I don't mind that. I prefer that they both have slightly different art directions.

yay, someone has sense :p

Forza = stylised realism (overbright, overcontrast etc)
Gran Turismo = absolute realism (subdued colours, natural contrast etc)

end of the day, gt5p track detail is pretty poor, hope they fix for gt5 final, f2 was ugly all round :lol but theyve changed that amazingly with f3, i am genuinely shocked at what they have made

evolution

Damage modeling in games seems to be a double edge sword. Its great to have, but it also really shows there still a long way to go. Im not sure if the damage setting is set to simulation, but the rollovers are looking kinda silly in comparison to everyting else.

Top Bottom