• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 - October 2009 release (ignore the OP at your peril)

Apex

Psychotext said:
Why are you talking about Forza 2 in a Forza 3 thread Apex?
This:
Zhuk said:
As a console sim, absolutely, Forza 2 is already the King and Forza 3 will be the undisputed Emperor for console simulation.
I have seen all the vids and I don't see a great improvements in that regards over FM2, may be the *amazing* setup spoiled someone?

Apex said:
This:

I have seen all the vids and I don't see a great improvements in that regards over FM2, may be the *amazing* setup spoiled someone?

Obviously everyone who claims Forza has good physics is spoiled by the setup or simply incompetent.

Zhuk

Banned
Apex said:
I'm more interested in playing than reading press releases or promotional stuff, theory vs practice you know and anyone with eyes can see the BIG differences in the driving physics, even in vids.

I know a lot of people that unblocked all cars in a few days and don't know yet how to drive a car without any aid, with a wheel, manual gears and pro physics.

It is a shame that you have to keep yourself ignorant of the technologies behind racing simulations so that you do not challenge your misplaced belief in the other games virtues as a simulation. The fact that the other game has to implement two variant physics modes, one for standard and one for professionals just goes to show how outdated its implementation is instead of using one real world physics model and adjusting difficulties with assists. Furthermore it is easy to find the limitations of the other games physics system you can effectively break it, while in Forza because of its physics methodology I have yet to see this occur.

The gap was already large with Forza 2, and it's only going to grow with the refinements made to Forza 3.

Many loyalists to the other game such as yourself believe that the visual feedback of a physics system takes primacy when this simply is not true, look at the best titles on PC for an example of this, what is important is how the cars handle and how they feel, how they feedback and how their tyres interact with the ground and the car itself.

saladine1 said:
original.aspx

Hmmm...speculation=snow=rally=weather..?

Rallisport challenge? Please...god? Answer my prayers..

a standalone rally racer is always better than a rally option in a primarily focused sim racing game. ALWAYS...its all in the focused details.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Zhuk said:
The fact that the other game has to implement two variant physics modes, one for standard and one for professionals just goes to show how outdated its implementation is instead of using one real world physics model and adjusting difficulties with assists.
That doesn't really goes to prove anything. It never crossed your mind that they keep 'standard' physics model there as an option to people who want to play more casually? They could have easily excluded it, and noone would be any wiser. I mean, they could have had the best physics model in existence as a second option, and by your logic it wouldn't matter - because they also have the simpler one as an option? Also you keep going about tyre physics and deformation - keep in mind that just because the deformation is not rendered on the car model, doesn't mean that the physics calculation behind it is not performed.

Apex

Fortinbras said:
Obviously everyone who claims Forza has good physics is spoiled by the setup or simply incompetent.
I don't discuss that Forza has good physics, only the claim that are the best ones.

Well I don't want to derail the thread more I leave it here, if the physics are good enough for all you no problem.

No weather, night racing

Are you kidding me? I am far from being a racing sim fan. I would play Scud Race all day if I could, but I hear people talking about physics and aids and customization and whatever but you can't even race at night?! At least you could try and pull the same trick Bizarre did with PGR4 no?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Apex said:
I'm more interested in playing than reading press releases or promotional stuff, theory vs practice you know and anyone with eyes can see the BIG differences in the driving physics, even in vids.

I know a lot of people that unblocked all cars in a few days and don't know yet how to drive a car without any aid, with a wheel, manual gears and pro physics.

Honestly, if you're really into racing, and not console wars, you could do worse than add a 360 to your setup and get Forza 3. then you get the best of both worlds and don't have to argue with anyone.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Revelations said:
Rallisport challenge? Please...god? Answer my prayers..

a standalone rally racer is always better than a rally option in a primarily focused sim racing game. ALWAYS...its all in the focused details.
This. Che, if you're still listening, Turn 10 should do a Rallisport Challenge game once Forza 3 is done.

sportzhead said:
I just bought the Fanatec wheel stand. Should be here next week. I'll post a little review and some pics once I put some time into it.

Alright guys, I got my Fanatec Wheel Stand last week and have been testing it out since then. I bought it to replaced a playseat classic. The playseat was good but the setup was getting on my nerves. To take it out of the closet every time I wanted to play was a hassle. The thing was heavy and took up a lot of room once out.

The wheel stand is extremely well built. It only takes a few minutes to put it together and all the tools needed are included. Its pretty heavy also so I had no problems with it sliding once in use. The best thing about the stand is its sturdiness, footprint, and easy setup/storage. I can take it out of the closet with the wheel and pedals attached to the stand and have it ready to race in about 30 seconds. Once done racing it's back in the closet in about another 30 seconds. There is very little side to side wobble and pretty much no front to back wobble. Impressive for such a small stand. It is very comfortable to use. I use it while sitting on a couch. The great thing for me is even though I have long legs I'm able to place the pedals further away from the wheel while having the wheel close enough to my body that my arms are not to extended.

Now some cons. The flexibility of the stand is on the poor side. You can raise and tilt the wheel height up and down but that's about it. I believe that why it's so sturdy. It can also get quite expensive if you need all the attachments. I bought the shifter attachment for $20, but was not about to buy the Xbox wheel attachment for another $20. So I used velcro for wheel. Fanatec also sells a pedal stopper for $15 but my advise would be to just use a little velcro. I'm waiting for the Turbo S Wheel which will hard mount to the stand and the pedals come with a metal attachment to secure them to the stand.(Now if the G27 supports the 360 I might go that route.) All in all the stand is awesome. Its more like popping out a controller now to play a racing game than hurting my back lugging out a large racing cockpit. My advice, if you have room for a large racing cockpit that you don't need to hide from the girlfriend/wife go for one. If you want to pop out a wheel and race for an hour or two then make it disappear, go for the Fanatec Wheel Stand.

Some bad pictures.

3705954422_fe949b4937_b.jpg

Parts. Shifter attachment parts on the left.
3705145965_27f77f7c74_b.jpg

3705954288_dcd38ca853_b.jpg

Stand folded down ready to go in the closet.
3705146133_02d301b4bd_b.jpg

sportzhead said:
The biggest issue for me is the lack of flexibility. I suppose I have no choice, as there aren't any other stands for the Porsche 911 Turbo S wheel. Regardless, your impressions have convinced me to throw down the cash for it.

Thanks.

Saiyu

Zhuk said:
It is a shame that you have to keep yourself ignorant of the technologies behind racing simulations so that you do not challenge your misplaced belief in the other games virtues as a simulation. The fact that the other game has to implement two variant physics modes, one for standard and one for professionals just goes to show how outdated its implementation is instead of using one real world physics model and adjusting difficulties with assists. Furthermore it is easy to find the limitations of the other games physics system you can effectively break it, while in Forza because of its physics methodology I have yet to see this occur.

The gap was already large with Forza 2, and it's only going to grow with the refinements made to Forza 3.

Many loyalists to the other game such as yourself believe that the visual feedback of a physics system takes primacy when this simply is not true, look at the best titles on PC for an example of this, what is important is how the cars handle and how they feel, how they feedback and how their tyres interact with the ground and the car itself.

OK, I wasn't going to jump into this mess but just stop. It isn't even subjective.

Suddenly people are forgetting Richard Burns Rally, or are getting misty eyed remembering Forza 2. You talk of limitations to physics systems and the oppurtunities to exploit - I wonder if you really played Forza 2 and took a look at the leaderboards of Elan's driving with CVT like transmissions or muscle cars setting the fastest times not just by abusing the class system but also a flaw in the physics; put simply the tyres relative grip and an error with how the torque is transferred.

Your last paragraph is condescending and plain wrong, if you are really comparing Forza 2 to PC sims then I'm not even going to bother trying to prove why you are so wrong. I'll just leave you with the fact that at the AXF Forza 3 event the fastest laps driven with an R8 around Le Mans were on a par with or quicker than the real life GT2 (yes, full stripped out fucking race cars) class at Le Mans. This after only a day with the game. Explain that genius.

Once again I apologise for bringing this shit up, and I'd ignore it if you were passing it off as an opinion but spouting nonsense and claiming anyone who disagrees doesn't possess the necessary knowledge is ridiculous and only makes you come across as a fanboy.

___

Anyways, you know what would be awesome? The Nurb F1 track connected to the Nordschleife. What with Sebring and La Sarthe F3 could become the enduro king.

bj00rn_

Banned
Saiyu said:
OK, I wasn't going to jump into this

Once again I apologise for bringing this shit up

No, I don't think so. If you actually were sincere about feeling sorry you would use the edit button and delete that.."shit" - But hey at least your downplaying of Forza wasn't as subtle as it usually is.

DON'T DO THIS GUYS, WE'S SUPPOSED TO BE GETTIN' NEW INFOS TODAY!

Saiyu said:
I'll just leave you with the fact that at the AXF Forza 3 event the fastest laps driven with an R8 around Le Mans were on a par with or quicker than the real life GT2 (yes, full stripped out fucking race cars) class at Le Mans.

___

Anyways, you know what would be awesome? The Nurb F1 track connected to the Nordschleife. What with Sebring and La Sarthe F3 could become the enduro king.

Not to imply I doubt you, but got a source for that? I assume you meant the R8 5.2 street car, right? If so, that's... strange. Blatant inaccuracies like that drive me up the wall.

As for the second point, you could do that in PGR3 & 4 and it was great fun.

eso76

Tbh i don't think those lap times have a lot to do with inaccurate physics; rather with the fact F3 probably cheats a little to achieve a greater sense of speed.
That is, I think the actual kph is not entirely accurate to real life track distances.
At least, that's what i've been suspecting ever since people pointed out FM3 looked a lot faster than FM2. You can achieve a better sense of speed with a few visual tricks, but that doesn't seem to be the case ; i somehow think they've made cars move a little faster than the kph shown (or made tracks 'smaller').

Not that that would make the inaccuracies more acceptable, in fact i've never understood people complaining about sense of speed or lack of thereof in racing sims, but anyway.

So, what about todays info ??

Spaceman Spiff said:
Not to imply I doubt you, but got a source for that? I assume you meant the R8 5.2 street car, right? If so, that's... strange. Blatant inaccuracies like that drive me up the wall.
Was the Audi R8 V10, fastest lap was 04m 06s. Which yeah, puts them around GT2 fastest laps.

Game's obviously not finished yet though.

I'm still quite interested to know what Sarrazin's lap time was in the game when using the 908. I've been unable to find it anywhere.

[Edit - I just found a video, will time it]

Psychotext said:
Was the Audi R8 V10, fastest lap was 04m 06s. Which yeah, puts them around GT2 fastest laps.

Yeah, I'm not going to get pitchforks out or anything, but it's weird nonetheless. Any idea if they were using any assists? I doubt it, but it could explain at least a little bit of the difference in lap times...

eso76 said:
Tbh i don't think those lap times have a lot to do with inaccurate physics; rather with the fact F3 probably cheats a little to achieve a greater sense of speed. That is, I think the actual kph is not entirely accurate to real life track distances. At least, that's what i've been suspecting ever since people pointed out FM3 looked a lot faster than FM2. You can achieve a better sense of speed with a few visual tricks, but that doesn't seem to be the case ; i somehow think they've made cars move a little faster than the kph shown (or made tracks 'smaller').

Not that that would make the inaccuracies more acceptable, in fact i've never understood people complaining about sense of speed or lack of thereof in racing sims, but anyway.

So, what about todays info ??

... Unless of course Turn 10 went so far as to do something like this, which I somehow doubt. Why bother refining your physics engine to the point you're modeling tire flex and then let it's accuracy be called into question just to satisfy those who say the game "doesn't look fast enough," as if there were a consensus on what "fast enough" looks like. Sense of speed is subjective, and I agree with you, eso76, that I can't relate to people who find it lacking in sims.

As for the update, who knows what it entails. We'll just have to keep an eye out.

Psychotext said:

... and would it be below anyone to jack it's PI for maximum effect at Audi's own event? ;-)

DustoMan

Banned
sportzhead said:
[Fanatec Wheel Stand review]

Woah. That thing looks almost perfect. I've been looking for something to put a wheel on for awhile now, but nothing I get seems to work well. Where did you purchase that?

Saiyu

bj00rn_ said:
No, I don't think so. If you actually were sincere about feeling sorry you would use the edit button and delete that.."shit" - But hey at least your downplaying of Forza wasn't as subtle as it usually is.

Really dude, so what is it? A Forza fag on gtplanet, a GT fanboy on the Atari boards and now I'm "downplaying Forza" on gaf? Jesus Christ, you pick which one I've got an agenda against.... Apparently it's now a fucking crime to point out misinformation on the part of developers and ignorant posters.

Spaceman Spiff said:
... Unless of course Turn 10 went so far as to do something like this, which I somehow doubt. Why bother refining your physics engine to the point you're modeling tire flex and then let it's accuracy be called into question just to satisfy those who say the game "doesn't look fast enough," as if there were a consensus on what "fast enough" looks like. Sense of speed is subjective, and I agree with you, eso76, that I can't relate to people who find it lacking in sims.

To be honest it's probably something as simple as the tyres still having more-than-realistic levels of lateral grip, hence quicker cornering speeds. The track might not be 100% either, but that shouldn't account for too much.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
We'll do a follow-up podcast on this topic and more next week. :D

Look for it on Forzamotorsport.net, etc. etc.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Are racing wheel options for the 360 still heavily restricted? Meaning is there still no support for 3rd party wheels like Logitech's stuff?

Quite a bit of detail in the Kotaku post:

• While the game will ship with a dozen or so pre-created race modes, everything about them, from the number of laps to start delays and what sort of assists a player can be using, can be changed.

• The game's online modes have more than 100 rule types to tweak giving players an almost limitless ability to customize the way they want to play, he said.

• Since these personalized race modes can only be saved locally, Krauskopf expects that some gamers will make a name for themselves as popular hosts for their custom races. He added that they are considering one day perhaps allowing gamers to save modes online, but right now have no plans to include that option.

• Forza 3 will still include all of the Live support Forza 2 had as well. Other new additions to online play include a new party system that allows gamers to hop into one room and then jump from race to race together.

1zgakgz.jpg

15fit1y.jpg

5zo0zr.jpg

chespace

Spaceman Spiff said:
This bit makes me especially happy.

Oh, and the new screens are hot shit. Whatever you guys are doing to tighten up the graphics on level 5 is seriously impressive.

Thank you. I took all of these myself a couple weeks ago. :D

Zhuk

Banned
Saiyu said:
OK, I wasn't going to jump into this mess but just stop. It isn't even subjective.

Suddenly people are forgetting Richard Burns Rally, or are getting misty eyed remembering Forza 2. You talk of limitations to physics systems and the oppurtunities to exploit - I wonder if you really played Forza 2 and took a look at the leaderboards of Elan's driving with CVT like transmissions or muscle cars setting the fastest times not just by abusing the class system but also a flaw in the physics; put simply the tyres relative grip and an error with how the torque is transferred.

Your last paragraph is condescending and plain wrong, if you are really comparing Forza 2 to PC sims then I'm not even going to bother trying to prove why you are so wrong. I'll just leave you with the fact that at the AXF Forza 3 event the fastest laps driven with an R8 around Le Mans were on a par with or quicker than the real life GT2 (yes, full stripped out fucking race cars) class at Le Mans. This after only a day with the game. Explain that genius.

Once again I apologise for bringing this shit up, and I'd ignore it if you were passing it off as an opinion but spouting nonsense and claiming anyone who disagrees doesn't possess the necessary knowledge is ridiculous and only makes you come across as a fanboy.

Quite amusing to read your diatribe lecturing me about subjectivity and fanboyism when your posts contain them (especially since your experience playing sims is largely console based), there is nothing about my claims whatsoever that are fraudulent and are backed up by the realities of modern simulation, downplaying Forza's importance and qualities as a console simulation also go against what the authorities in the sim community say against the other game. If you don't believe my arguments, surely you can look at theirs and draw your own conclusions.

Am I biased? you bet, I make no qualms where I stand nor will I hide it, i'm a PC and 360 gamer and I only own a PS3 for GT5P because that's all that interests me on that console.

What I wish to get across is to draw the line in the sand with comparisons with the other game, one can argue cars, tracks, features and modes ad nauseum with subjectivity which is fine as it is ultimately personal taste, but there is no way that anyone who is objective and who has done their homework will ever say that the other game's physics system is more advanced than Forza's.

As you aren't a PC sim enthusiast I do not expect you to be able to adequately understand the virtues of PC sims and how they compare and contrast to Forza, but it is objective fact that the physics system in the Forza series is the closest things on consoles today to what the best PC sims are using, while the other game is not. Richard Burns Rally is a fantastic game, but the Forza series is definitely developing the superior model, which is inevitable with each iteration delivering improvement.

You're right, Forza 2 did have bugs and issues, it's not perfect and I won't pretend it is because it is made by human hands, The Elan issue was a bug that was concurrently fixed as were other issues, but I feel as such it is not an argument that can be used against the methodology of the physics system but one that works in their favour as they were able to correct the issue within the engine, I still stand by the fact that Forza's physics model is extremely difficult to break unlike in the other game which can be broken without too much effort.

In regards to the times on Le Mans, I honestly have no idea on it as I have not played the game yet, but I think its fair to see that the game is still not complete and still may have many balance issues and bugs so I do not really see why you are raising such a point as the game is still being worked on, I am sure you can agree with this.

That all sounds fantastic. Who doesn't like tons of choices, right?

Staggered start times will be great for when I play with some of my more casual racing friends.

hie

Apex said:

:lol

bullshit.

Seeing all these screens have me more excited about photomode. Che, can you tell us if you expanded on photo mode options such as DOF, Shutterspeed, ect.........none, a bit, a lot, or complete overhaul? Thanks man, can't wait.

chespace

rocksteady1983 said:
Seeing all these screens have me more excited about photomode. Che, can you tell us if you expanded on photo mode options such as DOF, Shutterspeed, ect.........none, a bit, a lot, or complete overhaul? Thanks man, can't wait.

Pretty much overhauled in how we do blur (for all objects including wheels), DOF, tether length, massive telephoto zoom, etc.

Top Bottom