• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 - October 2009 release (ignore the OP at your peril)

Spaceman Spiff said:
The replay camera angles are improved over FM2's, so the dreaded "rotate around the car while showing absolutely nothing" camera now looks even more out of place.

It's also nice to see the bumps all the way down the Mulsanne straight. Hopefully that means the Nurburgring too will be as unforgiving on suspensions as it is in reality. I remember it being rather smooth in FM2.

Can't wait for the 60 fps gameplay footage. Gamersyde's coverage really does put everyone else to shame.
I noticed the bumps right away. Very nice. As you said, hopefully they'll get accurately modeled into all the other tracks this time. Sebring was great in FM2, but just about everywhere else was billiard table smooth. I was pretty disappointed by that.

eso76

hgplayer1 said:
I really think they just dont get it.

Hopefully there are some options to have replays only use track side cameras. It looks like a majority of the replay will use them by default but I sure would be happy if I could eliminate the floating cams all together.

thanks to gamersyde for finally showing us a replay and owning every other website when it comes to game footage . Spinning cameras are still there, like i gathered from acouple other videos. thankfully the 'trackside cameras' 'floating cameras' ratio is acceptable this time. but i'd still like to know if replay editor means being able to position my own cameras along the track :)
looks good. very good

saladine1 said:
original.aspx

Hmmm...speculation=snow=rally=weather..?
Too good to be true.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
If this game has weather/day night cycle I will fly to Seattle and take a picture of myself naked outside of Turn 10's building.

RSTEIN said:
If this game has weather/day night cycle I will fly to Seattle and take a picture of myself naked outside of Turn 10's building.
Such a shame that it wont... as that could be entertaining. :lol

Hajaz

Zeouterlimits said:
The Le Mans video is up.
Apologies if it has already been posted.

right before hes talking about the way tires heat up and cause more inflation... is he mentioning weather or were my ears deceiving me?
something about a weathersystem?

Hajaz said:
right before hes talking about the way tires heat up and cause more inflation... is he mentioning weather or were my ears deceiving me?
something about a weathersystem?

Yes he did, you're not the only one to notice that, saw some chatter on their forums about it too.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
saladine1 said:
original.aspx

Hmmm...speculation=snow=rally=weather..?

That looks like a normal photo desktop pattern from a car fan to me. I mean, there's a Monster Truck T-shirt hanging next to it, but we're not jumping to any conclusions based on that...

KHarvey16

Zeouterlimits said:
Yes he did, you're not the only one to notice that, saw some chatter on their forums about it too.

He was drawing a comparison between simulating tires and the dependencies and inter-relatedness inherent in a weather system.

Hajaz

KHarvey16 said:
He was drawing a comparison between simulating tires and the dependencies and inter-relatedness inherent in a weather system.

yeah youre right... it was a bit hard to understand when ure not a native english speaker

Just so that people know what others are talking about...

But tyres is where we really take it to another level in Forza Motorsport 3. It's much like a weather system; you have to simulate all of this, it's all interconnected. So, as the tyre heats up on the outside, the gases heat up on the inside and that increases the inflation. That increased inflation makes the whole car, the whole tyre carcass stiffer, so you're going to get less roll. It was very complicated to simulate all of this, but important to us, because we feel... if you don't get the tyres right, your simulation is worth nothing.

cbox

The floating cams have to be removed 100%

You can have the best graphics anywhere and as soon as you rotate unrealistically around the car... it kills the realism. Stick to on track cameras and seriously, lengthen out the cuts like an actual race on tv, it'll improve the look 10 fold :)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
with a replay editor, i'm sure all the complaints on the camera angles seen are pointless.

Zhuk said:
SDF doesn't like the fact that he is part of the studio that has made the best racing sim on consoles this gen
and all time
and they go into nerd rage everytime he preaches truth.
GAF N4G has arrived

hgplayer1

op_ivy said:
with a replay editor, i'm sure all the complaints on the camera angles seen are pointless.

I dont know if being able to edit the replay does a whole lot for me.

If I am playing a single player race sometimes I like to watch the replay immediately after and just see how things looked.

I dont want to have to save the replay and then edit it just to avoid the bad cameras.

It just seems like a pretty easy thing to fix that isnt being given proper attention for whatever reason.

Anyway I wont dwell on it. Bring on a demo! :D

GuessWho

eternal prize said:

You can have the best graphics anywhere and as soon as you rotate unrealistically around the car... it kills the realism. Stick to on track cameras and seriously, lengthen out the cuts like an actual race on tv, it'll improve the look 10 fold :)

This post speaks the truth.

gtmax

eternal prize said:

Absolutely. Floating cams are useless. i always hate it when i pull an awsome drift or an inside pass only to have the camera hyper zooming on my car and i miss the whole action. We also need a very far away replay angle.

Che, here's a little homework for you: revisit the replays from Formula One from Bizarre Creations on ps1. World Rally Championship 2 also had a fantastic skyview replay angle that was pretty awesome.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Man I wish T10 threw in a track editor/creator

can you imagine what this would do to FM3 and it's community?

It would be mindblowing.

cbox

Slayer-33 said:

It would be mindblowing.

That would be amazing. Huge to implement, but amazing. Kinda like the crysis world editor

Piper Az

Slayer-33 said:

It would be mindblowing.

They should offer it as a DLC later on when they have spare time.

eso76

eternal prize said:

yay !
i was alone in the battle against floating cameras when FM2 was in production, but now we're a small army and through Che we can make a difference.
If you really have to, keep floating cameras and weird angles in some action/videoclip replay mode, but keep the tv replay mode floating cameras free, please.

Like i suggested elsewhere, having some kind of AI directing replays would be the next gen of racing game replays; instead of focusing on one car (leading car or your car) having cameras pan back and forth, zoom in and out or even cut to some other part of the track where something interesting is happening (overtakes, crashes etc) would be awesome, especially since the drivers in Forza are not the drones moving along the track we're used to see in 'other games' and make races very interesting and enjoyable to look at even when your car is not the focus. In fact, while watching fm2 replays i sometimes switch to other cars and i'm always impressed by the amount of stuff that can happen during a race even when you're not part of the action.

Ok, i swear i'll stop nagging if Che confirms the ability to completely edit camera position/zoom/focus in replay editor : )

Also wanted to mention that watching that 720p replay vid on my tv i was impressed by how much smoother than fm2 it looked, motion blur looks much more effective this time.

saladine1

No weather, night racing, or rally in the game.

That said, any car is up for grabs. Just because we haven't announced/shown it doesn't mean it won't make it into the game. We're just trickling out info.

Painter/tuner/drag/drift scoreboards. Yes, it's all in the details. Which we haven't revealed yet.
Posted by Chespace

Finally some closure.
At least it will put all the speculation to rest.

eso76

Fortinbras said:
So not at all definitive?

I never expected those to be in the game; you can't expect such a leap in graphics, technic, content and game modes between 2 iterations and just 2 years time.

These guys are not making money off a demo and dlc; F3 already sounds and looks like a huge leap from FM2 and needs to be released for turn 10 to make money and start investing it on FM4 : )

I'd say FM3 car models are detailed enough to be reused in a few years and not look out of place; i believe this will allow them to use more resources towards different stuff for FM4.

Zhuk

Banned
Fortinbras said:
So not at all definitive?

As a console sim, absolutely, Forza 2 is already the King and Forza 3 will be the undisputed Emperor for console simulation.

Against PC and Commercial sims though it obviously has much stronger competition which do outclass its simulation qualities, but nonetheless it still holds up pretty well.

Sirolf

Zhuk said:
As a console sim, absolutely, Forza 2 is already the King and Forza 3 will be the undisputed Emperor for console simulation.

Bold claims to say that without having seen THAT other game.

acm2000

Sirolf said:

why does that game matter? it wont be out till next year earliest, forza 3 will have been out by probably 6 months by then

Zhuk

Banned
Sirolf said:

If you are referring to the game I think you are, simply put it employs an outdated simulation model due to the fact that it does not used tyre based physics or employ real world tyre model data into its game which is the standard for all simulation titles on PC and in commercial simulation. It's a great series which I have put a lot of time into, but its qualities as a simulation are old hat at best and this is not looking to change.

We know that the developer of that title will not scrap their methodology for physics in their upcoming release due to the taste we got last year which has the physics engine they are using already implemented.

I did not start with THAT other game.

I really liked Forza 2 more than the last game of that other series but I wouldn't call a racing game without weather definitve.

I really hope those claims won't hurt Turn 10/Forza 3 in the future.

klier

No nighttime racing and no weather change isn't too bad, considering all the other things we get over Forza 2 both graphically and gameply wise.
I am hyped for this game, and will buy day one. GT5 too btw.

Apex

Zhuk said:
If you are referring to the game I think you are, simply put it employs an outdated simulation model due to the fact that it does not used tyre based physics or employ real world tyre model data into its game which is the standard for all simulation titles on PC and in commercial simulation. It's a great series which I have put a lot of time into, but its qualities as a simulation are old hat at best and this is not looking to change.

We know that the developer of that title will not scrap their methodology for physics in their upcoming release due to the taste we got last year which has the physics engine they are using already implemented.
Obviously, you never played that other game.

F40, no aids in Forza2.
F40, no aids in the other game.

Zaptruder

Banned
Zhuk said:

You realise tyre deformation isn't the be all and end all to racing game simulation right?

It helps, but you can certainly still create an accurate sim without it, just as you can create an inaccurate game with it.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Fortinbras said:
I really hope those claims won't hurt Turn 10/Forza 3 in the future.

Unless you see another racing sim for 360 coming down the pipeline I don't think Turn 10/Forza 3 have anything to worry about.

For all the talk about that other racing game, you can't play it on 360 and you can't play Forza on a PS3. Those of us who like racing games and have both platforms are going to buy both games anyways...

Zhuk

Banned
Zaptruder said:
You realise tyre deformation isn't the be all and end all to racing game simulation right?

It helps, but you can certainly still create an accurate sim without it, just as you can create an inaccurate game with it.

I think you don't understand what my point is, not surprising since it really doesn't get said on GAF due to the lack of a real sim community here. Tyre deformation is only one part of the tyre based physics package, tyre deformation is the latest addition to the tyre model in Forza 3 which has been continually improved with each iteration. Tyre based physics is considered to be the industry standard when it comes to physics modelling in simulations, both commercial grade and the top PC sims use it however that other game does not. As such, that other game is simply incapable of being able to recreate the same level of fidelity in regards to its physics that Forza is due to the limitations of the outmoded model that it uses.

If you are interested in reading about the physics in Forza and other top simulation models on PC there's a few articles out there,does not take much research to see which title uses the superior simulation model, therefore we can objectively say that Forza is the superior simulation on consoles.

Apex said:
Obviously, you never played that other game.

F40, no aids in Forza2.
F40, no aids in the other game.

I suggest that you read up on some background to physics models in racing simulations so that you can understand why Forza is the superior simulation. It will open your eyes so you can understand better why Forza is ahead of the other game in its simulation model.

The comparison you attempted is meaningless, for example if I did a similar comparison of rfactor to Forza or the other game I am sure you would believe that they were the superior simulation when it is not true.

In regards to questioning my credentials about the other game, it is the only reason why I bought a PS3, and I am one of the few who spent enough time with the title to unlock the Ferrari 2007, which I doubt you bothered doing. If it makes you feel better i'm an Xbot but nonetheless my argument still holds weight I hope that you will do research on both titles yourself.

Apex

Zhuk said:
If you are interested in reading about the physics in Forza and other top simulation models on PC there's a few articles out there,does not take much research to see which title uses the superior simulation model, therefore we can objectively say that Forza is the superior simulation on consoles.

I suggest that you read up on some background to physics models in racing simulations so that you can understand why Forza is the superior simulation. It will open your eyes so you can understand better why Forza is ahead of the other game in its simulation model.
I'm more interested in playing than reading press releases or promotional stuff, theory vs practice you know and anyone with eyes can see the BIG differences in the driving physics, even in vids.

I know a lot of people that unblocked all cars in a few days and don't know yet how to drive a car without any aid, with a wheel, manual gears and pro physics.

Why are you talking about Forza 2 in a Forza 3 thread Apex?

If you want to know a little more about how the physics have been improved, you should have a look around for what the sim racing aficionados have had to say about it after trying it at E3.

Top Bottom