• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

enzo_gt said:
The day they improve smoke in racing games.. is the day we will not be able to distinguish then from reality. Visually, smoke is one of the things holding racing game graphics back, alongside accurate damage modelling.

GT5 got close in some photo-mode shots, but other than that we're quite far off.

Agreed. If next gen consoles follow the same increase in theoretical power as traditional life cycle jumps, we should be very close to true realistic graphics and effects. The main factor holding things back at that point will be the time and money a company is willing to spend on the finer details.

foogles

Good smoke is so difficult to do. It's just a killer on a GPU's fill-rate.

That being said, I feel like I can deal with shitty smoke when they're delivering these kinds of visuals at 60fps on 6-year-old hardware (which wasn't even that great compared to 2005/2006 PCs!).

shinnn

Just appeared in the fm.net track list.

Track_ComingSoon_1.gif

also

Forza Garage Round 2:

2006 Subaru Impreza S204
1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four ST205
2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII MR

deadnoob

Lionheart1827 said:
Glad to see Pontiac getting more recognition. It would be cool to see the Fiero get put in there as well.

The '87 Trans Am GTA has the digital dash, correct? I hope they model that version. Was it digital in Forza 3? I don't remember it but I think I only drove that car once or twice so I could be wrong.

I hope they also get my current car in there - '79 Trans Am :D

Mascot

enzo_gt said:
The day they improve smoke in racing games.. is the day we will not be able to distinguish then from reality. Visually, smoke is one of the things holding racing game graphics back, alongside accurate damage modelling.

GT5 got close in some photo-mode shots, but other than that we're quite far off.

Need For Speed: ProStreet set the benchmark for awesome volumetric smoke in racing games several years ago. The way it billows out of wheel arches and rotates under the influence of the spinning wheel is amazing. And there's loads of it, and it dissipates realistically. Never bettered, IMO.

I can understand if people forgot about this because the game was a turd, but it wins in the smoke stakes, no doubt.

Video

...and another one

And before anyone pipes up with "yeah, but it didn't run at 60fps and the car models were less detailed, blah blah blah...", save your breath. I know. I'm just showing some nice smoke.

skyfinch

Isn't it indianapolis speedway? It's an old track and was also in the leak video....I think. There was an oval track in the leak video.

cbox

eek5 said:
Everything we've seen from it has been from that same spot but it looks like they did touch up the corner from the leak we saw before.

2yuk9ow.jpg

I'd love for it to be drivable but the track looks TOO good imo

If that's drivable, I'd never race on anything else. Well maybe blue mountain :p

shinnn

skyfinch said:
Isn't it indianapolis speedway? It's an old track and was also in the leak video....I think. There was an oval track in the leak video.
Actually I think it's just a generic icon for the tracks.

This is the icon for the cars:
Cars_ComingSoon.gif

G Rom

Jube3 said:

Wow, that Elise shot is probably the best non-Autovista shot released so far IMO.

Also, Turn 10 is tring to troll us in that Stelvio Pass shot by making it look like the skid marks behind the wheels were done by the Jaaaaag. :D

eso76

NullPointer said:
So that backdrop. Is it only for photo shoots?

yes.

i mean, there's no confirmation yet, but just look at those grassy hills surrounding the road behind the car. Those are clearly not polygonal, look at all that grass (too much and too good to be 3d) and the variety and quality of textures it would take to model that.

Nope guys, that's just a photograph.

Plus i doubt T10 would be showing that environment so much if it was a new track, considering how tight lipped they have been about new locations. just homespace-photo travel location.

Mascot

adelante said:
Gat damn. We're really not gonna be able to drive around in the Pass are we ;(

No we are not, but deep down we knew that already.

It would be pretty useless as a racing circuit anyway. I suppose the drift mob would find a use for it.

BTW: More American muscle cars? Jesus, there can't be many more left, can there?

eso76

NullPointer said:
Biggest tease... in the woooooorld.

yeah.
maybe fm5.
to be honest, though, i am not sure the pass would work as a track. It's basically one hairpin after another, even worse than sidewinder :)

gorgeous vistas, but i don't think we have the tech to replicate that convincingly (huge elevation changes and open spaces = ridiculous draw distance..like just cause 2 draw distance).
Like i said earlier in this thread, T10 and probably PD must have looked into it at some point, but had to give up.

adelante

And the shaders on that Elise!! Can NEVER get that kind of even diffuse lighting in Forza3, where the sun is like a freakin SPOT LIGHT

eso76

adelante said:
And the shaders on that Elise!! Can NEVER get that kind of even diffuse lighting in Forza3, where the sun is like a freakin SPOT LIGHT

yep my only issue with lighting is the game would still need some more ambient light and more light coming from 'below', reflected on the road.

eso76

adelante said:

yep my only issue with lighting is the game would still need some more ambient light and more light coming from 'below', bouncing off the road

deadnoob said:
The '87 Trans Am GTA has the digital dash, correct? I hope they model that version. Was it digital in Forza 3? I don't remember it but I think I only drove that car once or twice so I could be wrong.

I hope they also get my current car in there - '79 Trans Am :D

Hmmm I'm not sure if the 79 is in there but I know the 02 WS6 is in there and I think mentioned was the 74.

I apologize for asking (I've been out of the loop for the past two weeks as I transition to a new department at work), but does the new Alpine environment include multiple layouts/configurations like Montserrat in FM3?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
FunnyBunny said:
I apologize for asking (I've been out of the loop for the past two weeks as I transition to a new department at work), but does the new Alpine environment include multiple layouts/configurations like Montserrat in FM3?

3 ribbons, plus reverses

- Festival Circuit
- Festival Circuit Reverse
- Stadtplatz Circuit
- Stadtplatz Circuit Reverse
- Club Circuit
- Club Circuit Reverse

so, not as epic as montserrat

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
anywhere with detailed kinect head tracking impressions? i'm thinking about picking one up just for forza, but man are all the other kinect games (steel batallion, star wars, etc) doing a horrible job on selling me on it.

shinnn said:
Offscreen Gameplay showing smoke

Not best quality, but it's good to see the smoke and the guy messing around with the right analog stick looking around the car.

http://www.abload.de/img/fm4_smoke027qsq.gif[IMG] [IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/fm4_smoke019oyc.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
I prefer the smoke being like this then a snake like in forza 1 and 2 (and 3 for the most part) so good going turn10!

Mascot

Diablohead said:
I prefer the smoke being like this then a snake like in forza 1 and 2 (and 3 for the most part) so good going turn10!
True, but there was a recent video showing a car with engine damage, and the smoke was chuffing out in individual puffs like a steam train. Looked a bit rubbish, to be honest.

eek5

Mascot said:
True, but there was a recent video showing a car with engine damage, and the smoke was chuffing out in individual puffs like a steam train. Looked a bit rubbish, to be honest.
recent as in E3? it looked like a bug to me (assuming we're talking about the same video)

OrangeOak

eso76 said:
Nope guys, that's just a photograph.

Yes you're right - this is a photograph but there is a lot of bitmap backgrouds in Forza 3 and imo it's not impossible that there is a (fictional?) p2p track in that environment and what we see here is just a background. Besides, camino from FM3 homespace has better textures and some additional detail as well.
I still think that all homespace backgrounds where the car is on a road are from actual tracks that are included in the game.

eso76

OrangeOak said:
Yes you're right - this is a photograph but there is a lot of bitmap backgrouds in Forza 3 and imo it's not impossible that there is a (fictional?) p2p track in that environment and what we see here is just a background. Besides, camino from FM3 homespace has better textures and some additional detail as well.
I still think that all homespace backgrounds where the car is on a road are from actual tracks that are included in the game.

yes, this is true, there might still be a track there, but that road you see in the background is not actual road you will drive on.
i am more inclined to believe it's something they 'wanted' to do (their behind the scenes video revealed they were in italian alps at some point) but couldn't, though.
We'll see, i wouldn't hold my breath for any face-melting reveal at this point, in terms of tracks at least.

Marco1

This game is making me buy the xbox 360 due to the disaster that is shift 2 on PC.
For me it's all about the feel and shift 2 just doesn't have it, it may be pretty at 60FPS and 1920x1080 but there's something missing.

eek5 said:
Everything we've seen from it has been from that same spot but it looks like they did touch up the corner from the leak we saw before.

2yuk9ow.jpg

I'd love for it to be drivable but the track looks TOO good imo

I pointed this out a few pages back, but it seems like there is a 'homespace' scene before a race on that specific track. Could this be the homespace before we get to race the pass. Or could it be it's own homespace as such, I'd be interested in what other people think from their observations and how the homespaces work.

OrangeOak

eso76 said:
We'll see, i wouldn't hold my breath for any face-melting reveal at this point, in terms of tracks at least.

You're right, the old leaked video says "5 all new locales" and we know there is Indianapolis,Infineon,Alps,Hockenhaim and Top Gear Test Track so yes better keep our expectations low. :)

eso76

OrangeOak said:
You're right, the old leaked video says "5 all new locales" and we know there is Indianapolis,Infineon,Alps,Hockenhaim and Top Gear Test Track so yes better keep our expectations low. :)

should be 2 more considering the empty slots on fm.net and the one people claimed could be infineon from the trailer could really be a lot of other things, so there might be 3 locales we don't know about.

I pointed this out a few pages back, but it seems like there is a 'homespace' scene before a race on that specific track. Could this be the homespace before we get to race the pass. Or could it be it's own homespace as such, I'd be interested in what other people think from their observations and how the homespaces work.

i don't think that's how it works.
It's just that every track gives you shots of your car (which looks kinda like homespace) before the race, in addition to shots of the track itself like fm3 did.
THEN there's homespace locations, like the Top Gear studio and this one, plus, i think, all the ones we saw in the leaked trailer (desert, woods etc) and haven't seen since.

Mascot

OrangeOak said:
Track creator.

Believe.

G Rom

-MikePriester- said:

Career homespace are different from the pre-race animations. We already know that Stelvio Pass is a career homespace. You can change your homespace and you can take photos in it (unlike the Camino Viejo homespace in FM3).

Only thing that we don't know yet is how many homespace there are (leaked trailer showed many) and if those can be used as Autovista backdrop (leaked trailer showed Autovista in other environments instead of only the hangar).

Edit : Beaten...

I played some f3 again today and back to back with these videos I have to say, holy fucking shit f4 hits everything correctly now, the interior cockpits look 20 times better and that's just the better shaders and fov, the movement under braking and accel is also most welcomed after the super static f3.

I just hope that forza 4 can keep me interested longer, f3 today feels like half an improvement it should have been.

sneaky77

eso76 said:
should be 2 more considering the empty slots on fm.net and the one people claimed could be infineon from the trailer could really be a lot of other things, so there might be 3 locales we don't know about.

That may be for DLC tracks

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
G Rom said:
Wow, that Elise shot is probably the best non-Autovista shot released so far IMO.

Also, Turn 10 is tring to troll us in that Stelvio Pass shot by making it look like the skid marks behind the wheels were done by the Jaaaaag. :D

Fuck me up the ASS that shit looks hot.

shinnn said:
Offscreen Gameplay showing smoke

Not best quality, but it's good to see the smoke and the guy messing around with the right analog stick looking around the car.

fm4_smoke027qsq.gif
fm4_smoke019oyc.gif

Damn.

Dat wind momentum physics lol.

Top Bottom