• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 announced

p3tran

Banned
Maybe he's referring to the modelling quality.

Politest was of saying "eat shit, you ain't getting them redone."

lolololol but he did say orange peel effect.

unless by that he meant
"standard cars"
, I think we are alright :D

forza is the only light beacon in this microsoft mess..

Seanspeed

Banned
A whole lot of juicy information on that track concept board but as far as I am concerned it all means nothing.

It has

Warm (track or air temperature?)
Sprg (spring?) Hazy ("weather")
Humidity Temperature (Fahrenheit) and time.

What this could mean is completely dynamic weather where seasons affect race conditions (winter seasons = more rain etc) with meaningful track temperature and air temperature simulations and dynamic time of day.

What I expect it to mean is absolutely nothing and random numbers thrown around to make it look like they mean something.

I want to be pleasantly surprised but to be honest, T10s track record doesn't fill me with any hope.
Forza 4 had these same sorts of things and they did indeed turn out to mean nothing despite a lot of speculation about it pre-release. There were even people who insisted after release that it affected grip levels and whatnot.

I suspect it might have been something they planned on, but was such a back-burner priority that it wasn't made ready for release.

I suppose its ok to speculate that perhaps they've actually integrated that in this time around, but your assessment that it probably doesn't mean much again is probably wise.

E3 is in a couple days bro?

What is your problem?
If there's one constant in the Forza universe, its that people will always be dissatisfied with the amount of information they have. Its Newton's 4th law.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Forza 4 had these same sorts of things and they did indeed turn out to mean nothing despite a lot of speculation about it pre-release. There were even people who insisted after release that it affected grip levels and whatnot.

To be fair, comparing alps to something like Road America, there were differences in tyre temperatures and thus grip but it really wasn't very realistic.

Tyres still warmed up way too fast on cold surfaces and when they were up to temperature their grip levels were quite close to hotter tracks. Perhaps with the extra power
of the cloud
we will get some nice strides in track simulations.

LostVector

Neo Member
Honestly, it's hard to tell if Dan G. is a car guy. If you listen to all the videos he talks in, he sounds like a sham. My main complaint with the last few iterations of the forza series is that they seem to be completely marketing driven and focus on flash over substance.

Weather, night time, temperature, equipment failure, pre-race briefings, track instruction, etc ... Forza keeps leaving out key real elements of racing in favor of racing around a sterilized idea of perfection over and over again. In fact, it's rather boring ... all the changes and imperfections of real racing environments are what adds the difficulty and makes it interesting.

Gran Turismo is sometimes a mess, but you can tell the creator loves cars. I hope the next gen hardware makes it possible to simulate a lot of the above stuff. If they use the hardware to create an "even better AutoVista", I'll silently scream.

In amongst all the doom and gloom today, the Gamespot "10 years in the making" video was a breath of fresh air, and a nice little reminder of how far the series has come. Flaws and all, it remains among my very favorites.

I don't care if The One turns out to be an undercooked, underclocked, DRMed to hell and back cable box with a Big Brother camera that watches me masturbate. It's going to have fucking Forza Motorsport 5. At launch. As of right now, that's all I need to be hyped.

Less than 5 days to go, bitches. Time for Dan to bust some heads.

m23

Honestly, it's hard to tell if Dan G. is a car guy. If you listen to all the videos he talks in, he sounds like a sham. My main complaint with the last few iterations of the forza series is that they seem to be completely marketing driven and focus on flash over substance.

Weather, night time, temperature, equipment failure, pre-race briefings, track instruction, etc ... Forza keeps leaving out key real elements of racing in favor of racing around a sterilized idea of perfection over and over again. In fact, it's rather boring ... all the changes and imperfections of real racing environments are what adds the difficulty and makes it interesting.

Gran Turismo is sometimes a mess, but you can tell the creator loves cars. I hope the next gen hardware makes it possible to simulate a lot of the above stuff. If they use the hardware to create an "even better AutoVista", I'll silently scream.

Clearly you have not been following forza very long.

Seanspeed

Banned

Haha. Dan is a car guy(doesn't he drive like an M3 or something?). Probably to a fault. Honestly, I get aggravated at times with how much cars take precedence over motorsports in Forza.

And to clarify, things like weather and nighttime aren't 'motorsport'-focused inclusions. They are checklist features that add very little to the actual on-track action. I like them and enjoy the variety they bring, but I could write several pages about actual motorsport inclusions I'd rather see.

I mocked it quite a bit, but I really do think we need a GT vs Forza thread again. Just to keep this bullshit away from people who dont want to get into fanboy wars about it.

To be fair, comparing alps to something like Road America, there were differences in tyre temperatures and thus grip but it really wasn't very realistic.
Can you confirm that?

I didn't notice any difference whatsoever and Forza was my shit. Performance differences would be pretty noticeable to me.

Shaneus

Haha. Dan is a car guy(doesn't he drive like an M3 or something?). Probably to a fault. Honestly, I get aggravated at times with how much cars take precedence over motorsports in Forza.

And to clarify, things like weather and nighttime aren't 'motorsport'-focused inclusions. They are checklist features that add very little to the actual on-track action. I like them and enjoy the variety they bring, but I could write several pages about actual motorsport inclusions I'd rather see.

I mocked it quite a bit, but I really do think we need a GT vs Forza thread again. Just to keep this bullshit away from people who dont want to get into fanboy wars about it.
Great post. Might as well just call it "Forza Automobili" or something, because there's no motorsport where career races are only three laps long (unless it's Nurburgring) and you're missing crucial motorsport venues like Bathurst and Spa.

PS. I think before his M3 he owned a yellow Audi RS4 or something? Love to know what he was driving around the time he was assisting in the design of the first PGR.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Can you confirm that?

I didn't notice any difference whatsoever and Forza was my shit. Performance differences would be pretty noticeable to me.

Running alps compared to any other much hotter track the temperatures settled 5 or so degrees celcius lower.

The difference in feel was very very small though.

golem

Dan had a B5 S4.. anyone that owns that is either a car guy or a masochist... or both.

Odahviing

Banned
So since Forza 5 will run at 1080p and 60fps in-engine what does that mean for xbox one graphics compared to PS4?

Is there a significant difference in graphics between xboxone and ps4 now or was that again just trash talk?

FordGTGuy

Banned
So since Forza 5 will run at 1080p and 60fps in-engine what does that mean for xbox one graphics compared to PS4?

Is there a significant difference in graphics between xboxone and ps4 now or was that again just trash talk?

PS4 will have more and better effects.

LostVector

Neo Member

I dunno, I know plenty of people who drive M3's that like the *idea* of driving a nice car, but don't actually like cars (or motorsports).

Anyway, we're on roughly the same page. If they added real motorsports influenced features, I would be impressed and a little more forgiving of the other simulation stuff that I would happen to prefer. And at least they would be headed in the right direction. I still think that stuff is eventually critical because no driver in real life is going to go out there and say "i only race in the daytime at high noon in perfect weather".

It's when they focus on features like "Driving with your Kinect" and persist with creatively bankrupt gameplay that I get annoyed. Dumbing down the races. Race around the track. Then race around the track even more. Then race around it even more! Isn't there supposed to be a game in here somewhere?

PS 4 games have the ability to look technically better.

But at the end of the day both systems will have great looking games, and gameplay is all that really matters.
My favorite game last year was Hotline Miami and that looks like shit.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I dunno, I know plenty of people who drive M3's that like the *idea* of driving a nice car, but don't actually like cars (or motorsports).

Anyway, we're on roughly the same page. If they added real motorsports influenced features, I would be impressed and a little more forgiving of the other simulation stuff that I would happen to prefer. And at least they would be headed in the right direction. I still think that stuff is eventually critical because no driver in real life is going to go out there and say "i only race in the daytime at high noon in perfect weather".

It's when they focus on features like "Driving with your Kinect" and persist with creatively bankrupt gameplay that I get annoyed. Dumbing down the races. Race around the track. Then race around the track even more. Then race around it even more! Isn't there supposed to be a game in here somewhere?

Seriously?

Odahviing

Banned

Can happen but I still doubt it.

I don't care for graphics anyways and if I'd be picky I'd always compare my games with PC graphics and had to cry everytime I buy a game for my console.

important question:

My TV has a resolution of 1366x768 (720p) and is 32". I am using a HDMI cable and under settings I can use 1080p resolution even when my tv is only 720P (or is it not?).

If I change the settings to 720p it looks blurry and not as good as when I change it to 1080p.

Why am I able to use 1080p on my xbox? I am sitting around 2,5-3m away from my TV. Should I upgrade to a Full HD tv or is that unnessecary??? D:

Yep, pretty accurate, although I expect many instances where art style and visual tricks in certain games (that aren't multi-platform, of course) end up blurring the lines, effectively fooling people into thinking there may not be that much of a difference, but the PS4 is the clearly stronger hardware.

I don't care for graphics anyways and if I'd be picky I'd always compare my games with PC graphics and had to cry everytime I buy a game for my console.

important question:

My TV has a resolution of 1366x768 (720p) and is 32". I am using a HDMI cable and under settings I can use 1080p resolution even when my tv is only 720P (or is it not?).

If I change the settings to 720p it looks blurry and not as good as when I change it to 1080p.

Why am I able to use 1080p on my xbox? I am sitting around 2,5-3m away from my TV. Should I upgrade to a Full HD tv or is that unnessecary??? D:

Sounds strange, your TV should look amazing in both. Your tv def isn't 1080p most likely, but it can accept 1080p input and effectively upscale. Well, you may not necessarily have to upgrade that TV if you don't want. I'm not sure how it will be on the PS4, but the Xbox One has multiple display planes (3 in total) that render different things at different resolutions or even framerates. If 1080p really does look better, and 720p is blurry, you can use your one's UI or OS in 1080p, meanwhile the actual game itself will run at whatever the native resolution of that game happens to be while still leaving your UI at the crisp, better looking 1080p. So, even if a one game is 720p natively, your UI will still be a crisp 1080p, and I assume it's the text that really looks crappy for you in 720p?

Omni

important question:

That's weird. I'd consider getting a full HD if I were you ( I gotta do the same actually. My tv can only support 1080i/720p). Your tv will be able to display it, but it won't be native 1080p because the pixels aren't there (that res is slightly higher than 720p, if I'm not mistaken)

Odahviing

Banned
That's weird. I'd consider getting a full HD if I were you ( I gotta do the same actually. My tv can only support 1080i/720p). Your tv will be able to display it, but it won't be native 1080p because the pixels aren't there.

But does it make any difference on a 32" TV while sitting around 3m away from it?

But does it make any difference on a 32" TV while sitting around 3m away from it?

Honestly, I'd say no it really doesn't, because I just upgraded to a pretty incredible Samsung television, one that's even a bigger size, and sure it looks nice, but my old Toshiba 32 would've been just fine for my purposes also.

However, I really, really wanted a nice full 1080p smart tv, so I couldn't resist.

It depends on whether you think 1080p on your tv doesn't look nice and crisp enough. What brand is your television btw?

Omni

Umm.. It honestly depends. I know there's a point where pixel density becomes irrelevant, but it seems pretty ambiguous. I'd wager that you will notice things being sharper than what you do at the moment.

Oh and by the way. Your current tv accepts a 1080p input, but downscales it to a tad over 720p. This is because your tv doesn't have the pixels to display all that data. So if you choose to look at it this way, you'd be missing out on the detail and crispness that comes with a game that renders at native 1080p.

Odahviing

Banned
Honestly, I'd say no it really doesn't, because I just upgraded to a pretty incredible Samsung television, one that's even a bigger size, and sure it looks nice, but my old Toshiba 32 would've been just fine for my purposes also.

However, I really, really wanted a nice full 1080p smart tv, so I couldn't resist.

It depends on whether you think 1080p on your tv doesn't look nice and crisp enough. What brand is your television btw?

Im using a Samsung 32" TV.

I'm planning to buy a new TV but I don't want to spend much money just to have Full HD.

I wonder what the FM5 team were referring to when saying they were talking about offloading processes to the cloud.

I'm so curious about this technology but I don't understand it and question its viability. I hope there is some discussion at E3.

saladine1

1080p 60fps?

Holy shit!

We are doing something that is seldom been done, I think in gaming, and definitely never been done in the racing space which is to deliver an epic innovative game at launch

My body is ready you sons o bitches!

Im using a Samsung 32" TV.

I'm planning to buy a new TV but I don't want to spend much money just to have Full HD.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0074FGNJ6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Damn it, you may have to wait for Amazon itself to get these back in stock, but this TV here is fantastic. Just bought it for a friend as a gift, and I'm surprised how incredible it is. Full 1080p, awesome smart tv that is updated quite often, deceptively incredible sound quality.

Amazon were selling it for just $270, but of course others are selling it for more, like $330-$340 now. Alright, off to bed.

Odahviing

Banned
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0074FGNJ6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Damn it, you may have to wait for Amazon itself to get these back in stock, but this TV here is fantastic. Just bought it for a friend as a gift, and I'm surprised how incredible it is. Full 1080p, awesome smart tv that is updated quite often, deceptively incredible sound quality.

Amazon were selling it for just $270, but of course others are selling it for more, like $330-$340 now. Alright, off to bed.

Thanks for the link! I'm looking into this and see if its available in my region (Austria).

also:
i1JKo9JoQ3siv.png

Confirms a much bigger racing track in prague

G Rom

I've only just noticed the helicopter in the sky in that Prague screenshot/artwork. I can't wait to see how the atmosphere translates on racing tracks !

Edit: I'd love to see home spaces return (with more of course) but this time being fully modelled instead of being big texture.

Mascot

Just watched the video (three times). It's a nice little teaser full of bold claims. Rather disappointed (and oddly worried) that there was absolutely zero new footage shown, but I guess E3 is just a few days away. I just hope we aren't sick to death of Prague in two week's time - they went overboard with Alps last time and Montserrat before that, so hopefully we'll get to see more environment variety this time.

The lack of any note about 'wet' 'dry' etc in the track conditions doesn't fill me with confidence. I'm guessing we've got variable TOD but no precipitation this time around.

And they better not be trolling me with that helicopter...

Top Bottom