• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport has gone out to reviewers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Reviewers are beta testing the service game.
Think About It GIF by Identity

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Did he say that on a podcast ? I don't see anything like that on twitter.

Regardless, 40+ days seems a little too early. Good sign if true that they have a lot of confidence in it. But let the reviewers spend their time with starfield first, lol.

Did he say that on a podcast ? I don't see anything like that on twitter.

Regardless, 40+ days seems a little too early. Good sign if true that they have a lot of confidence in it. But let the reviewers spend their time with starfield first, lol.
Rand asked him if he tried Forza at Gamecon and Jez said that even if he did he can't talk about it.
He obviously has a NDA on it, so he would be playing it now.

Normally with a review copy you can't even tell people you are playing the game and reviewing it, which is why the Starfield one was weird, as MS was happy for everyone to say they were playing it.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Seems like it's pretty much done. Should be interesting to see how the game has evolved. I think a lot of people are going to be pleasantly surprised and the franchise will grow.

He's one of the biggest MS shills. That's actually not surprising. He needs to find all the good stuff about the game
He is an Xbox player, sure, but he criticises them all the time, and is actually hated by a number of Xbox games studios for leaking stuff about them. Obsidian, 343 and others.
Rand actually said they should get Phil Spencer on the show, but then said he doubted Phil would come on the show when half the Xbox Studios have black balled Jez.

There are total shills like Xboxera, who gave Redfall a 8.5/10, and there are others who call out Microsoft all the time when they fuck up.

Rand asked him if he tried Forza at Gamecon and Jez said that even if he did he can't talk about it.

Normally with a review copy you can't even tell people you are playing the game and reviewing it, which is why the Starfield one was weird, as MS was happy for everyone to say they were playing it.
That's not the same as him saying the game has gone out to reviewers. Think the thread title is a bit misleading. There are a number of reasons why the press wouldn't say whether they had a game yet or not.

Ozriel

M$FT

Yeah, that’s certainly not the same thing as Review copies being sent out.

It’s also extremely unlikely they’d send out copies this far ahead of launch, especially with Starfield reviews being given the focus.

I wonder if reviews will touch on anything important like saving and events offline or initial track and car list?

Last edited:
I don't trust Turn 10 at all after the way they've marketed this. They were very misleading in how they showed this and they've been confusing in their wording as well as what footage is being shown on which platform.

We still don't know what's going on with RT reflections on console. Despite the director explicitly stating "it's on track which means during gameplay", recent showings of the game on SX not only look nowhere near what they initially showed at the XBOX CONFERENCE (which was actually PC footage, with RT gi and settings all ultra; why show PC at an Xbox conference where everything else at the show was on Series consoles?) but they left people including sites like DF questioning whether it even had RT reflections.

Why is it so hard for this developer to be clear about their game from the beginning? They know people will will gravitate towards whatever the best looking footage is in their minds eye and hope for the best. Helps to build hype and sell copies. Console gamers will actually see the PC when they imagine booting this up on launch day only for reality to set on after its too late.

Am I making a big deal out of a little thing? Perhaps. Will the game still look decent on Series X? Yes, but my issue with this is the dishonesty of it. Just be honest and clear from the beginning. I see this tactic happening all the time with games. They dont show the console footage until right before a game releases. They dont even send out review copies of the console versions. Star Wars Jedi Survivor did this recently.

Danknugz

Apparently several of the cars are still using FM1 models dating back to 2005. Just like all the other Forzas on the 360 and Xbox One. They still haven't been updated for current gen.

Pm6Zylc.jpg

FHVXFs3.jpg

fD01I07.jpg

nxrL2VD.jpg

i'm not surprised, FM since 5 has had a tendency to disappoint me, with FM5 it was the flatness and lack of shadows to the cars, of course I was forced to play on xbox one for the launch and it was years till it came to PC. FM7 was pretty good with the triggers, I don't know what their gimmick is this time. But I'll be playing on PC for sure.

I'll never understand the desire to have so many cars in a game, in my opinion it is way better to have a smaller amount of insanely detailed cars that are suitable for motorsports.
I personally don't need many. However, I prefer driving around in antiques and classic cars. All the Japanese tuners, GT, Rally, and hyper cars I don't care for. Track toys can be fun every once in a while.

I'll never understand the desire to have so many cars in a game, in my opinion it is way better to have a smaller amount of insanely detailed cars that are suitable for motorsports.
Variety. Just curious, are you a car guy?

I've been into car culture since I was a little kid and having a wide variety of cars in games is much preferred over a small list because I can guarantee I have something I like. One of my bigger problems with the Forza games are the car lists as they seem to favor Euro.

I want my Stageas, Cosmos, Chasers, Mark IIs, Cappuccinos, etc.

skneogaf

Variety. Just curious, are you a car guy?

I've been into car culture since I was a little kid and having a wide variety of cars in games is much preferred over a small list because I can guarantee I have something I like. One of my bigger problems with the Forza games are the car lists as they seem to favor Euro.

I want my Stageas, Cosmos, Chasers, Mark IIs, Cappuccinos, etc.

Maybe it is best to have the lesser known specific cars as dlc and make a big deal about how those cars are of lesser quality.

I think I remember grand turismo having older 3d models in previous games although console warriors will undoubtedly use these cars to fight the good fight.

Elysium44

Banned
Maybe it is best to have the lesser known specific cars as dlc and make a big deal about how those cars are of lesser quality.

I think I remember grand turismo having older 3d models in previous games although console warriors will undoubtedly use these cars to fight the good fight.

Yes and took a lot of heavy criticism for it. Gran Turismo Sport was really built from the ground up and slashed the number of cars, but in return they were all high quality models. Personally I think quality over quantity is the way to go. If something's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

xrnzaaas

Many people are collectors plus with more cars available chances are your favorite (or personally owned) cars are in the game. I'm definitely in 'the more the better' group.

I don't trust Turn 10 at all after the way they've marketed this. They were very misleading in how they showed this and they've been confusing in their wording as well as what footage is being shown on which platform.

We still don't know what's going on with RT reflections on console. Despite the director explicitly stating "it's on track which means during gameplay", recent showings of the game on SX not only look nowhere near what they initially showed at the XBOX CONFERENCE (which was actually PC footage, with RT gi and settings all ultra; why show PC at an Xbox conference where everything else at the show was on Series consoles?) but they left people including sites like DF questioning whether it even had RT reflections.

Why is it so hard for this developer to be clear about their game from the beginning? They know people will will gravitate towards whatever the best looking footage is in their minds eye and hope for the best. Helps to build hype and sell copies. Console gamers will actually see the PC when they imagine booting this up on launch day only for reality to set on after its too late.

Am I making a big deal out of a little thing? Perhaps. Will the game still look decent on Series X? Yes, but my issue with this is the dishonesty of it. Just be honest and clear from the beginning. I see this tactic happening all the time with games. They dont show the console footage until right before a game releases. They dont even send out review copies of the console versions. Star Wars Jedi Survivor did this recently.
You are making a big deal out of a little thing. They have been very clear about performance targets and how Ray tracing will work on Xbox series x. I’m not sure how they could be any more clear. The point of confusion seems to be people assuming they are lying because development builds don’t look like they expect the final game to look. Turn 10 even out a disclaimer on the screens of these builds note it’s not final quality, but some still act like it is. This happens every time there is a Forza game. I recall the console warriors going off how 1080p/60fps was impossible on Xbox one and T10 were lying. We all saw how that worked out.

Elysium44

Banned
I recall the console warriors going off how 1080p/60fps was impossible on Xbox one and T10 were lying. We all saw how that worked out.

I don't remember that but it was a long time ago. I mean the 360 Forza games were all 720p60 so I'm not sure why anyone would be sceptical the newer gen could be 1080p60.

It is right to be sceptical about Turn 10's claims though, because they have a very long inglorious track record of lies or disingenuity. Either stretching the truth, lying by omission or telling outright whoppers like they did with FM7, for example the trailer with pit crews with the caption 'actual in-game footage' or stating the game would have a comprehensive penalty system to prevent the cheating of previous games. They just lied about it entirely. This isn't me console warring before anyone says it, this is me trying to hold them to a decent standard. Many of us in the Forza community are tired of their behaviour.

I don't remember that but it was a long time ago. I mean the 360 Forza games were all 720p60 so I'm not sure why anyone would be sceptical the newer gen could be 1080p60.

It is right to be sceptical about Turn 10's claims though, because they have a very long inglorious track record of lies or disingenuity. Either stretching the truth, lying by omission or telling outright whoppers like they did with FM7, for example the trailer with pit crews with the caption 'actual in-game footage' or stating the game would have a comprehensive penalty system to prevent the cheating of previous games. They just lied about it entirely. This isn't me console warring before anyone says it, this is me trying to hold them to a decent standard. Many of us in the Forza community are tired of their behaviour.

I think stating that they have a "very long and inglorious track record of lies or disingenuity" is disingenuous in itself. However, I get why you are making that point. They have always used cinematics in their trailers and have labeled it as in game footage. Well, it technically is in game, but it happens to be a cut scene/cinematic sequence. I don't like this approach at all as it can cause much confusion. But claiming they lied about it is quite the stretch. Turn 10 never once said there would be animated pit crews in Forza 7.

Additionally, If I recall correctly the penalty system for Forza 7 was never promised for launch and they did release it as an update. I specifically recall them discussing the addition of tire barriers on many circuits to cut down on the cheating at point of release and the penalty system coming later. Which they did. I get that the tire system sucked and it would have been better to have a functioning penalty system at launch. But again, I don't think they were lying about this.

Elysium44

Banned
I think stating that they have a "very long and inglorious track record of lies or disingenuity" is disingenuous in itself. However, I get why you are making that point. They have always used cinematics in their trailers and have labeled it as in game footage. Well, it technically is in game, but it happens to be a cut scene/cinematic sequence. I don't like this approach at all as it can cause much confusion. But claiming they lied about it is quite the stretch. Turn 10 never once said there would be animated pit crews in Forza 7.

Additionally, If I recall correctly the penalty system for Forza 7 was never promised for launch and they did release it as an update. I specifically recall them discussing the addition of tire barriers on many circuits to cut down on the cheating at point of release and the penalty system coming later. Which they did. I get that the tire system sucked and it would have been better to have a functioning penalty system at launch. But again, I don't think they were lying about this.

Saying CGI is in-game footage is lying. (Since FM7 I think they changed the wording to in-engine footage which is no longer a lie as such, but certainly is misleading.)

The penalty system didn't materialise for a few years and still fell far short of what they originally promised would be in the game ON RELEASE.

They also used to say their AI was 'powered by the cloud' and extremely advanced as a result, which anyone familiar with Forza games knows is hilariously untrue.

They are used car salesmen, they come up with the sales pitch and buzzwords first and then try to cobble something together which they can 'sell' later. Even when the finished product falls far short of the original grand promises, they don't change the sales pitch. 'Built from the ground up' - what is that if not another big fat lie?

Last edited:
Saying CGI is in-game footage is lying. (Since FM7 I think they changed the wording to in-engine footage which is no longer a lie as such, but certainly is misleading.)

The penalty system didn't materialise for a few years and still fell far short of what they originally promised would be in the game ON RELEASE.

They also used to say their AI was 'powered by the cloud' and extremely advanced as a result, which anyone familiar with Forza games knows is hilariously untrue.

They are used car salesmen, they come up with the sales pitch and buzzwords first and then try to cobble something together which they can 'sell' later. Even when the finished product falls far short of the original grand promises, they don't change the sales pitch. 'Built from the ground up' - what is that if not another big fat lie?
I disagree that showing cinematic elements in a trailer, when they are indeed in the game, and calling it "in game" is lying. Pretty much all games do this. I get that not being clear about "in game" vs. "game play" is annoying, it happens all the time. Especially in racing games where replay footage is quite enhanced and "in game" but different than "game play". Also, you are incorrectly stating that the penalty system would be in game on release. They never said that.

To you other points, I think you there are legitimate criticism on the penalty system and AI to be had, but now you are calling them liars because it's not as good as you hoped? That's an even bigger stretch.

Elysium44

Banned
I disagree that showing cinematic elements in a trailer, when they are indeed in the game, and calling it "in game" is lying. Pretty much all games do this. I get that not being clear about "in game" vs. "game play" is annoying, it happens all the time. Especially in racing games where replay footage is quite enhanced and "in game" but different than "game play".

No, it wasn't game replay footage I am referring to. It was footage of a car coming into the pits and then a pit crew running around it to change the tyres. It looked very exciting and the caption said actual in-game footage. But when you play the game, this never appears. So what is that if not a lie?

Also, you are incorrectly stating that the penalty system would be in game on release. They never said that.

Yes they did.

Article date: 22nd June 2017.

Forza Motorsport 7 To Feature Driver Penalizing System​

With the increasing interest in esports events, a dedicated penalty system is rapidly becoming an essential part of a competitive online racing platform. More and more developers seem to realize the importance of a built-in sanctioning system.

At a closed press conference, Turn 10 Studios Creative Director Bill Giese has confirmed that Forza Motorsport 7 will feature a penalizing feature in its online racing system to discourage corner-cutting, driver aggression, and wrecking actions. The new feature will apply to Multiplayer games and eSports sessions, but will not be forced upon the Forza 7 Career mode. At this time there are now further penalize feature details shared.

Bill Giese said – The new Adjudication System in Forza Motorsport 7 will penalize players who cut corners, crash out other players, or do something else that could potentially give you an advantage or wouldn’t be considered sportsmanship. These penalties will see the game “take you down.
Forza Motorsport 7 will be released on October 3, 2017, on Xbox One and Windows 10 and will be coming to the new Xbox One X on November 7, 2017. It is clear that the 7th iteration of the popular Forza Motorsport franchise will be the most beautiful version yet.

See? And yet the reality of FM7 multiplayer for the first year or more was it was an absolute dumpster fire, players were able to wreck other players with impunity, the cars behaved like billiard balls and you could have fun knocking an opponent into next week, which many players took advantage of.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
You are wrong. It will not be included only in the Gamepass core tier available from September.

Yes sorry I got them mixed up, I forgot there are more than two tiers. It just might confuse people in future though when we say a game is coming 'to game pass' when a lot of people will find their existing Gold subscription changes to 'game pass' core and it doesn't come to them.

Last edited:
No, it wasn't game replay footage I am referring to. It was footage of a car coming into the pits and then a pit crew running around it to change the tyres. It looked very exciting and the caption said actual in-game footage. But when you play the game, this never appears. So what is that if not a lie?

Yes they did.

Article date: 22nd June 2017.

See? And yet the reality of FM7 multiplayer for the first year or more was it was an absolute dumpster fire, players were able to wreck other players with impunity, the cars behaved like billiard balls and you could have fun knocking an opponent into next week, which many players took advantage of.
You are arguing semantics and misinterpreting what others have said. I didn't say the trailer was replay footage. I used replays as another example of "in game" elements commonly in trailers that are indeed not game play. It doesn't mean all developers that do this are lying. They showed a cinematic element of the game in the trailer. That cinematic element is indeed "in the game".

Your articles correctly state that T10 was developing a penalty system, but no where in either article does it state it was going to be finished at release. T10 mentioned, prior to release, that it was a work in progress and would be coming later. There was always a plan to support and update Forza 7 for some time, which they did, and they talked about many updates/features/content that weren't going to make initial release. Your obfuscation by omission does not make T10 liars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom