• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5: no night, no weather, no storefront, no auction house

Shaneus

Yeah, we need some direct feed footage with no comments and no music.
Speaking of music, it's not been confirmed but we can definitely recognise Lance Hayes' work in those homespace videos. It seems that it's gonna be just as easy as in FM3 and FM4 to get lost just looking at cars in homespaces with music playing.
First thing I noticed, too ;)

sneaky77

The gamersyde video looks amazing, the sense of speed was great and its beautiful game.. but for some reason I expected the loading to not be so long anymore lol

-NeoTB1-

Lame. This was the only Xbone game I was excited for, too. Then again, I won't be buying the system either way. Still, was hoping that Forza 5 would hit all the right notes.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
The gamersyde video looks amazing, the sense of speed was great and its beautiful game.. but for some reason I expected the loading to not be so long anymore lol

Loading from a conventional HDD will always limit load speeds.

How great would it be if we could put in a large SSD Microsoft?

Megasoum

Banned
So did they confirm how many cars will be in the game? Cause if they said that every car in the game will be available for Autovista there is NO way that there is still 400+ cars in the game...no way.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So did they confirm how many cars will be in the game? Cause if they said that every car in the game will be available for Autovista there is NO way that there is still 400+ cars in the game...no way.

They said hundreds of cars I believe so probably 200 to 400?

At this point I think weather and night racing are subjects dan and the team just don't want. I don't think it's a case of them not being able to do it, but a design decision... Same way they just don't seem to want to get rid of the terrible floating camera replay angles, etc.

I really wanted to be excited for 5, but sadly this will most likely be the first forza game I won't buy at launch :(

Though time will tell, all can change once we know more.

What? They have a limited amount of time to launch this holiday season. That's less than 6 months from now -- if you want to ship, you cut features or you cut quality. Hiring more people now won't work, mythical man month etc.

You can still choose not to buy it, that's totally fine (I'm disappointed too). But I think it's being unfair to the dev team to say they take pleasure in cutting features.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
How can 'the cloud' not make 'a rain cloud' or something

ZnqQ5.gif

Shaneus

See, if physics are the problem, then there really is no reason that couldn't be shifted to the cloud (literally). One says there's a rain-heavy track coming up, sends the physics adjustments per-tyre need up to the cloud, cloud does whizz-bang quick calcs, sends numbers down... all in the loading screen. Then all the One has to take care of is the display of the water (which should be possible to reliably fake/interpret to match calculated physics)... simulating the tyre behaviour is then just a matter of using a cached lookup table (oh, 73rd corner on Nurburg has X horizontal force, Y vertical force and Z friction applied due to weather changes). Could even be done during a race for changing track weather or racing lines on wet tracks.

BAM. Problem solved. You're welcome, Dan.

coldfoot

Banned
See, if physics are the problem, then there really is no reason that couldn't be shifted to the cloud (literally). One says there's a rain-heavy track coming up, sends the physics adjustments per-tyre need up to the cloud, cloud does whizz-bang quick calcs, sends numbers down... all in the loading screen. Then all the One has to take care of is the display of the water (which should be possible to reliably fake/interpret to match calculated physics)... simulating the tyre behaviour is then just a matter of using a cached lookup table (oh, 73rd corner on Nurburg has X horizontal force, Y vertical force and Z friction applied due to weather changes). Could even be done during a race for changing track weather or racing lines on wet tracks.
You don't even need the cloud for that. Why not just pre-compute all those numbers and send that data as a patch or even DLC?

LeBoef

Hello. Building nukes is eazy. Use a rocket, fuel it up, put some uran into it and start the party. Pew pew
wait, got to ask my teacher if this ok so.
kid.jpg

Ah yes it is!

You re welcome

Then its not a dynamic physics engine is it?

Forza's engine runs at 360fps iirc.

Shaneus

Hello. Building nukes is eazy. Use a rocket, fuel it up, put some uran into it and start the party. Pew pew
wait, got to ask my teacher if this ok so.
kid.jpg

Ah yes it is!

You re welcome
Don't forget the PS2s to launch them!

Then its not a dynamic physics engine is it?

Forza's engine runs at 360fps iirc.
Nah, I wouldn't mention it if it was dynamic. Just saying that, for example, the One mentions that there's, say "heavy" showers across Spa and sends that to the cloud, cloud does calcs, sends back appropriate forces that need to be applied around every inch of the track in one hit. Would be a small file assuming it's only numerical data and would only need to be done at the loading screen (or at a few times during a race, but certainly not every second, depending on changeable conditions).

amar212

Mascot, here is something to add to the list as probably most hilarious development of them all:

Forza Motorsport 5 shall not work in very country where the most prominent course - PRAGUE - is located

This is beyond hilarious.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=586406

No Czech Republic on the officially supported country list.

Yeah dear Prague citizens, you will not be able to play Forza 5 in your own city.

Of course, my country is not on the list too.

So, even if the Fanatec issue will be settled and even if I would somehow decided to bite the bullet over all DRM nonsense, my Forza 5 game would simply not work.

Thank you MS, I will finally build myself a gaming PC from the allocated XBO funds.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Mascot, here is something to add to the list as probably most hilarious development of them all:

Forza Motorsport 5 shall not work in very country where the most prominent course - PRAGUE - is located

Yeah dear Prague citizens, you will not be able to play Forza 5 in your own city.

So, even if the Fanatec issue will be settled and even if I would somehow decided to bite the bullet over all DRM nonsense, my Forza 5 game would simply not work.

Thank you MS, I will finally build myself a gaming PC from the allocated XBO funds.

Weow...

Microsoft, go home, you're fucking drunk and extremely high.

gaming_noob

Wow...MS is messing up at everything possible. What is going on at MS?

eso76

Oh, well, it's your lucky day, Amar, because "fortunately they have a system you can buy and play ! It's called Xbox 360 !"

this is ridiculous, but they said "at launch". Maybe..errr....just wait a few months ? :D

cbox

What? They have a limited amount of time to launch this holiday season. That's less than 6 months from now -- if you want to ship, you cut features or you cut quality. Hiring more people now won't work, mythical man month etc.

You can still choose not to buy it, that's totally fine (I'm disappointed too). But I think it's being unfair to the dev team to say they take pleasure in cutting features.

I didn't say they took pleasure in cutting features, but it seems at this point in time that they just don't care or want to add in features us as fans are crying for. Building an engine from the ground up has been their calling card for what, 3 games now? You'd think by that time they would have some sort of solution for day/night/weather cycles - though still no mention of it.

I love this franchise along with pgr and gran turismo, I just want to see the best of each studio.

Shaneus

Ahahahahaha. Oh wow.

Where do you live, amar? Man, this will KILL MS. I thought not being able to use the console without internet would kill them enough, but not being able to use it because your country isn't "supported"? What a kick in the nuts. Even if they're announced post-launch, who's going to keep an eye on MS' map to see when their country is added?

Shaneus

I didn't say they took pleasure in cutting features, but it seems at this point in time that they just don't care or want to add in features us as fans are crying for. Building an engine from the ground up has been their calling card for what, 3 games now? You'd think by that time they would have some sort of solution for day/night/weather cycles - though still no mention of it.

I love this franchise along with pgr and gran turismo, I just want to see the best of each studio.
Honestly, I think they would've been far better in creating a GT Prologue-type title, where what they have they can release at launch (maybe even as a pack-in for the console?) and continue working on the "full" game to be released in 6 months or however long it takes for them to not undercook it.

Mascot

What the fucking fuck? I don't even know where to begin. This is staggeringly unbelievable. It's like Microsoft are clinically depressed and keep self-harming as a cry for help.

In other news: No Porsche in FM5.

maeh2k

The support worded it rather carefully. They didn't definitively state that it won't work, but didn't want to make it sound like it would work, since they don't know. I doubt the Xbox support people know that much more about the One already than the rest of us. They may have only that country list to go on, but not know how the actual system would behave at that location.
If the 360 with XBL set to another region works there now, then I don't see why it wouldn't work for the One.

For now the country is not one of the official XBL countries, so the console may not be sold there directly. However, they could probably easily buy one from e.g. Germany or Austria.

The support worded it rather carefully. They didn't definitively state that it won't work, but didn't want to make it sound like it would work, since they don't know. I doubt the Xbox support people know that much more about the One already than the rest of us. They may have only that country list to go on, but not know how the actual system would behave at that location.
If the 360 with XBL set to another region works there now, then I don't see why it wouldn't work for the One.

For now the country is not one of the official XBL countries, so the console may not be sold there directly. However, they could probably easily buy one from e.g. Germany or Austria.

Sounds to me that if it's not a supported country - if it doesn't work, you were warned.

maeh2k

Sounds to me that if it's not a supported country - if it doesn't work, you were warned.

That's exactly what it is. If it doesn't work, you were warned. That's what the support is supposed to say.

However, just because it's not supported doesn't mean it won't work. XBL works on the 360 in countries that aren't supported, too: "Users from other countries are not officially supported, although it is possible for them to access Xbox Live if they provide an address located in a country where Xbox Live is officially available." (source wiki)

Of course the official support isn't going to say that un-supported countries are somehow supported. They didn't definitively say it won't work: "unsupported countries would not have the full experience". I bet if you asked the same guy if XBL on the 360 worked in an unsupported country, his answer would be the same.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
It won't have weather but it will have THE CLOUD!

Top Bottom