• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 |OT| Forza turns 10

spookytapes

Neo Member
the more I think about the lack of points/championships in career mode the more mad I get. why on earth would they get rid of this? Like the first series they put you through is supposed to be a qualifier, so that made sense as to it not being structured like a championship. But then I played a series and finished it after taking some 1st and some 2nd place finishes and thought "wait a minute, did I win this championship or not?". Really a no-stakes career this time. Just finish in the top 3. Maybe this was their "fix" for the drivatar system being so broken that most of the time I end up being way out ahead of the pack in 2nd (several seconds ahead) with no hope of ever catching the drivatar in 1st place (who is several seconds ahead of me). I don't know. I don't mean to be too down on this game but that is a seriously confusing decision to me.

Just won the Nurburgring endurance challenge. Whoever suggested using the Z4 GTLM a few pages back was totally right. The Gallardo and R8 are extremely stable but understeer too much for fast, effective cornering. The Z4 is a bit more twitchy but it can absolutely blast around corners and it's a lot more fun.

Lima

Just won the Nurburgring endurance challenge. Whoever suggested using the Z4 GTLM a few pages back was totally right. The Gallardo and R8 are extremely stable but understeer too much for fast, effective cornering. The Z4 is a bit more twitchy but it can absolutely blast around corners and it's a lot more fun.

I do think it was a bad decision to not allow any tuning for these cars though.
I used the R8 for my career races and you can tune out the understeer.

frontieruk

Have they tamed the Formula Ford? I remember it being a twitchy bitch in the GAF team races... Or were we running a Scrone approved tune?

Anyone finding the AI a bit odd in career races, especially Volumes 4 and 5?

I'm finding whatever level I set the drivatars to there's always one or two that just seem unbeatable, and in a few races I've had fourth place cars zoom past me never to be seen again.

shandy706

I'm finding whatever level I set the drivatars to there's always one or two that just seem unbeatable, and in a few races I've had fourth place cars zoom past me never to be seen again.

Check who they're modeled after. I have one person that is a massive pain to beat, but he's also at the top of nearly every leader board...lol. His AI is a freak'n beast.

Also, noob's AI kept sides wiping me over the weekend. Here I am trying to make a clean pass and he tried to run me off the road >:p

I'll gif it once I can share the video...if it saved it.

Devildoll

The leagues handle no-upgrades in a kind of strange way.

In the prerace lobby, i see that my car has the forza wing and custom rims, which should put it to 799 PI.
znmenqo.png

When the race starts, we can se that the car is stock, and during the race, it is reported as 794 PI, just like everyone else.

But in the post race report, it gets reported as 799 PI

To make sure that the car was actually stock i took a look at the telemetry, and my tires were at 35 psi whilst hot, which is stock, and not what i actually have mine set to in my tune.

So all in all its fine, no one can cheat, but people might get pissed when they se the post race PI's which are faulty.

danowat

Banned

I think that's by design, I have also witnessed some bonkers rubberbanding....

Kacho

Does raising affinity still increase your payout or do you just get a credit bonus once each level?

Hawk269

Like some of you, I am really liking the game, but the career seems so "ho-hum". Also the lack of basic options is perplexing and wonder why they are not included. From audio to other settings that could of easily been added. For as much improvement they have made, seems like some things went backwards as well.

With the reviews the game is getting and I am sure it will sell well, I don't things will get better for the core fans of the series as it seems like the core fans, ones like us that post on forums are being left out for whatever reason. I just don't understand why giving the user (gamer) options is a bad thing?

I really want some of the career series to have a points based system, where you run 10 races and get points on placement like every other racing game for the most part. I still love the game and will still play it, but certain things just really frustrate me and they are simple things they could of easily added.

I just reached max affinity (25) with my first manufacturer and got the Ford Crew Chief mod.

The card is +50% CR, which is cool since it makes up for the lack of affinity credits, but also has +12% grip, which makes it unusable.

Hawk269

I just reached max affinity (25) with my first manufacturer and got the Ford Crew Chief mod.

The card is +50% CR, which is cool since it makes up for the lack of affinity credits, but also has +12% grip, which makes it unusable.

The should of spent the time working on this useless MOD system and focused more on the career and given gamers a true racing championship mode or something close to it. It is almost like they are trying to get away from authentic motorsports. Lack of qualifying, lack of usable pit stops, lack of a true championship career. It just seems like they say "we have cars and real life tracks, that makes us an authentic race simulator, no need to do anything else, we close enough".

Don't get me wrong guys, love the series, love playing this game, but as a fan since day 1 with the original Forza, I am sure you understand mine and others frustration on what could of been with some slight changes and development.

I just busted my headlights on the Nordschleife at night in Rivals. It's COMPLETELY fucking dark, I try to drive on just navigating by the silhouette of the trees on the upper part of the screen, but then... what is that? Hmmm... :))
Shift to reverse and using the little light of the taillights visible in the rearview mirror I tried to move on... but after 2 miles or so I quit. Had fun though. (btw if you look behind, it's still super dark, but in the rearview mirror you can kind of see something)

I do think the Forza series suffers from having games made every two years. An extra year of development time could really add to the game and make it exceptional. But knocking out a game so quickly simply means there isn't enough time spent on adding more depth, more polish and more options to the series. It's a shame.

Branson

Like some of you, I am really liking the game, but the career seems so "ho-hum". Also the lack of basic options is perplexing and wonder why they are not included. From audio to other settings that could of easily been added. For as much improvement they have made, seems like some things went backwards as well.

With the reviews the game is getting and I am sure it will sell well, I don't things will get better for the core fans of the series as it seems like the core fans, ones like us that post on forums are being left out for whatever reason. I just don't understand why giving the user (gamer) options is a bad thing?

I really want some of the career series to have a points based system, where you run 10 races and get points on placement like every other racing game for the most part. I still love the game and will still play it, but certain things just really frustrate me and they are simple things they could of easily added.
They say MotorSport but leave out a defining feature of the sport. Points. Fuck that.

I do think the Forza series suffers from having games made every two years. An extra year of development time could really add to the game and make it exceptional. But knocking out a game so quickly simply means there isn't enough time spent on adding more depth, more polish and more options to the series. It's a shame.
I don't know - there seems to be a lot here. Plenty of new tracks and a ton of cars. Night and rain support, handling changes, new details added to every track. Rock solid performance as always.

Its a solid iteration and evolution, which is the Forza model. I'll take Turn 10's more gradual updates on top of a solid core over Gran Turismo's model of trying to get the whole kitchen sink into each game and falling short.

I guess my problem isn't with the duration of the dev cycle as much as some of the priorities when it comes to that development. Like the mod system. Or to put it another way - is Forza not living up to your expectations because of the dev cycle? Or because Turn 10 isn't focused on making that kind of game?

I don't know - there seems to be a lot here. Plenty of new tracks and a ton of cars. Night and rain support, handling changes, new details added to every track. Rock solid performance as always.

Its a solid iteration and evolution, which is the Forza model. I'll take Turn 10's more gradual updates on top of a solid core over Gran Turismo's model of trying to get the whole kitchen sink into each game and falling short.

I guess my problem isn't with the duration of the dev cycle as much as some of the priorities when it comes to that development. Like the mod system.

I think this is spot on, honestly.

I imagine that it's far easier to add a points/championship system than it is to add rain and 8 more cars while keeping it at a solid 60fps. If they managed the rain/cars part in their dev cycle, I don't think it's too short at all.

The problem here for most (and while it doesn't affect me) seems more like T10 simply doesn't *want* to implement championship-style competition.

Downloaded and ready to go! Guess it will get my full dedication tonight as I won't be picking up TTK until tomorrow morning. So happy I have tomorrow off!

danowat

Banned
Couple of questions I've got, that I still have yet to find an answer for....

Is there a level cap, and do exhaust mods change the sound, I cant tell if they do or not.

MouldyK

I love the Grip Mods. Make cars much more usable for me.

Luckydog

Man. I feel like that's a mandatory feature for sim-like games nowadays. I can't understand that.

Not that big of a leap. They are simulating driving a car as other people, not simulating real life motorsport racing. Many of the features that are missing are really based on that premise. Still a beautiful game and damn fun to drive.

I think the thing I mentioned earlier about superhuman AI might be a bug. If you go offline the AI displays speeds much more in keeping with the difficulty levels.

frontieruk

I'd rather use a tune that has the grip I want. Nothing wrong with options, but I don't understand why they added grip to an affinity reward.

Isn't that the sort of thing a crew chief wants to achieve better car performance, generally* a car with more grip goes through corners quicker

*I've met Scrone / GHG and Evo...

It took me a while to get my Forza legs back, but Sunday everything finally clicked. I guess I suck at FWD because once I got some AWD action it all started to come back. You can really feel the suspension working here, and considering all the tracks and cars this looks to be the best Forza Motorsport yet - at least for me, as someone who jumped in at Forza 3.

What could kill it dead for me is the controller disconnect issue on the Xbox. Had it happen again on Sunday, right in the middle of a race, and that was after hard resets and updating the controller firmware.

What could kill it dead for me is the controller disconnect issue on the Xbox. Had it happen again on Sunday, right in the middle of a race, and that was after hard resets and updating the controller firmware.

Is this wired or wireless?

If it's wireless, as a temporary workaround you could plug it into your Xbox with any old microUSB cable and take the batteries out.

Is this wired or wireless?

If it's wireless, as a temporary workaround you could plug it into your Xbox with any old microUSB cable and take the batteries out.

I am having a HUGE problem with this right now on the 2P controller. My wife and I were trying to play split screen this weekend and every time we tried to use the 2P controller it just disconnected. We couldn't even get the race started.

Had new batteries, firmware updated and everything and it would just not work. I think its an actual bug with the game.

Anyone else try split screen?

mike4001_

I am having a HUGE problem with this right now on the 2P controller. My wife and I were trying to play split screen this weekend and every time we tried to use the 2P controller it just disconnected. We couldn't even get the race started.

Had new batteries, firmware updated and everything and it would just not work. I think its an actual bug with the game.

Other games do work with both controllers ?

Just checking if its really Forza-related, as problems with controller disconnects are known on the X1 ...

I'm trying to decide between the physical or digital version and I'm more inclined for the digital one. Is there any reason to pick up the physical version? Is there some kind of Day One edition like Forza 5 or Horizon 2?

Oh fuck me, M. Rossi is back.

I'd rather use a tune that has the grip I want. Nothing wrong with options, but I don't understand why they added grip to an affinity reward.

Grip mods don't bother me at all. Since we can't choose racing slicks with a softer compound, I treat mod cards as the next best thing.

T.O.P

Banned
Here's the stat for the Ring endurance

Mod: 60% Extra Rep - 60% Extra Exp - +8 Power +8 Breaking
Difficulty: Pro
Time: 1:13:59

Last 2 laps with no rewind and M.Rossi breathing on my ass were gloriously exciting

Unbeatable is next!

Wireless. I can plug it in but the cord length makes its just a tad too short for comfort. Have to lean forward and be careful.

Do you know if this a core Xbox issue? Or something particular to some controllers?

Can't help you guys out there, sorry. Never had the issue happen (which I assume means it's an issue with certain consoles or controllers). Going wired is definitely a workaround though, so you could get a cheap USB extender in the meantime.

How can you race against m.rossi? does he only enable if you play offline so no drivatars?

I'm pretty sure i was online both of my endurance runs and the dude was there

Regular AI are used in showcase events it seems, they also appear sometimes when you're offline I think.

Lima

Career mode is so much less grinding than previous Forza games if you want the achievements. You only need to complete each of the volumes once so use the cars you want to use and then finish all the showcase events.

shandy706

Here's the stat for the Ring endurance

Mod: 60% Extra Rep - 60% Extra Exp - +8 Power +8 Breaking
Difficulty: Pro
Time: 1:13:59

Last 2 laps with no rewind and M.Rossi breathing on my ass were gloriously exciting

Unbeatable is next!

Now that's a payout, lol.

I need to make sure I'm getting my VIP pay...haven't paid attention to that.

Devildoll

Top Bottom