• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 |OT| Forza turns 10

I had some mixed feelings about this game at first, but it really is such and improvement over F5. The handling is much better. Much more realistic grip, in my opinion. On F5, I would feel like I was on ice at times. This seems more in line with what I experience with a real car. I like it. Game really does look nice. You do want to make sure you calibrate your screen though. I have this at home and it's much nicer than the demo I saw at Best Buy today. I do hope they add night time to other tracks though. I would love to see Prague at night.

KQML3hn.jpg

EUBxUdo.jpg

Mascot

do you mean that the brake stat for the car actually changes just because you fiddle with the break pressure?

I'm no brake expert, but lowering the pressure on the brakes shouldn't impact brake distance in a good way.

Four out of five. Not bad at all, and much better than most people manage in any threads to do with cars.

:p

erale

After around 12 hours of driving so far I have to say this is SOOOOOO much better than Forza 5. Second best in the series for me. Career mode is really good, showdown events are so much fun. Had a blast with the Ford Capri at Watkins Glen.

Wheel support and FFB is clearly better than in 5. Feels way more grippy. Still there is a lot to do. You can pretty much only recover oversteering by going to full opposite lock which is really annoying.

Drivatars are really bad. They were bad in 5 and still are. Way too slow in corners, especially the cars till position 3 or so. As you always start in the middle or back of the field they slow you down in corners while outpacing you on straights. Then they often hit and spin you while you're mid-corner, despite driving with reduced aggressiveness.

But still so much fun to drive. Hoping for a lot of DLC race cars to come.

danowat

Banned
20 hrs in, and dare I say it..........I'm a little bit bored already......

Rivals is still great fun, showcases are interesting, and the leagues appear on the face of it, reasonably interesting, but the career is still boring.

The inclusion of rain and night (which is very sporadic) in the career is the only thing that was made it a bit more interesting, outside of that, it's fairly uninspiring, it's still just a load of pretty short races that you MUST finish third in to progress, which means it's a rush to the front, and then 3 laps hotlapping.

I wonder if they should have got rid of the 3rd place requirement, and instead done it like a championship, with a leaderboard and points, progression through each series wouldn't be gated, but you'd need to place 3rd overall to progess to the next series, this would mean that not finishing 3rd wouldn't halt your progress, and you could concentrate on racing, rather than trying to rush into 3rd place to ensure progression in the series, I guess this would mean the game "fixing" the drivatars for each series, but I think that's a small consolation.

Made the mistake of choosing Formula E for my second set of races in division four of the career,

Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for Formula E and the place of electric cars in racing. But man the track selection in this series does F-E no favours at all. Trundling around Indianapolis at 140mph for eight laps is not my idea of fun.

I think Formula E is best left to races where you choose tighter circuits, it's not the best choice for the career. I'll definitely pick some GT cars instead for the next bit.

erale

I wonder if they should have got rid of the 3rd place requirement, and instead done it like a championship, with a leaderboard and points, progression through each series wouldn't be gated, but you'd need to place 3rd overall to progess to the next series, this would mean that not finishing 3rd wouldn't halt your progress, and you could concentrate on racing, rather than trying to rush into 3rd place to ensure progression in the series, I guess this would mean the game "fixing" the drivatars for each series, but I think that's a small consolation.

Yeah I thought the same, especially with the weird drivatars.. Championship points would be so much better. But still I can race pretty much every time with my preferred drivatar difficulty which gives me some closer racing towards the end in the top 3. But as I said before the drivatars at positions 5-24 are pretty much just rolling barricades...

Klocker

Perhaps Helios will read some of the stuff that is being posted and that they look into things, especially like this and they do something. T10 outside of making more DLC cars and a "few" tracks, traditionally don't do a lot of updates to the game to make things better, hopefully this will change with F6, but not holding my breathe.

It's really ridiculous that they can't let the user control how he enjoys his/her experience.

Its almost as if they are saying, "this is how we think it should sound and you will like it whether you like it or not".

The lack of options is astounding

Mascot

20 hrs in, and dare I say it..........I'm a little bit bored already......

Rivals is still great fun, showcases are interesting, and the leagues appear on the face of it, reasonably interesting, but the career is still boring.

The inclusion of rain and night (which is very sporadic) in the career is the only thing that was made it a bit more interesting, outside of that, it's fairly uninspiring, it's still just a load of pretty short races that you MUST finish third in to progress, which means it's a rush to the front, and then 3 laps hotlapping.

My time on FM6 has been limited at the mercy of others but I kind of feel the same. In many ways I'm impressed by FM5 but the actual races still seem severely hamstrung by Turn 10's stubborn adherence to their outdated and arcadey championship structure. It's frustrating, because I can see no reason why some concessions to actual motorsport and a more authentic approach to the race weekend couldn't have been included as a totally separate mode, away from the family-friendly broad appeal ethos that FM traditionally trades on. The devs have gone 80% of the way there and then slammed the door. It's completely baffling and frustrating, to me at least.

danowat

Banned
My time on FM6 has been limited at the mercy of others but I kind of feel the same. In many ways I'm impressed by FM5 but the actual races still seem severely hamstrung by Turn 10's stubborn adherence to their outdated and arcadey championship structure. It's frustrating, because I can see no reason why some concessions to actual motorsport and a more authentic approach to the race weekend couldn't have been included as a totally separate mode, away from the family-friendly broad appeal ethos that FM traditionally trades on. The devs have gone 80% of the way there and then slammed the door. It's completely baffling and frustrating, to me at least.

At least the physics are decent (in road cars) which makes rivals (which will probably be the meat of the game for me) more fun than FM5.

Had a lot of fun beating SCR0NE's time on the VIP GT350R rival challenge :D

I also echo the calls for making the AI cars scale to what you choose to drive, rather than you having to (completely ruin) modify your car to suit the aritary PI requirement that is set in stone.

I fancied driving the RS500 in a career series, but I HAD to tune it to some stupid PI requirement, which meant I had to have racing this and racing that to hit the PI requirement, and basically made the car pretty awful, why not let me drive it stock and have the AI bring a suitably tuned car to challenge me to the party?, they managed it in FH2.........

And don't even get me started on out and out racing cars being in PI grade S, never quite understood my T10 can't make it so that once you put certain RACE upgrades on a car they will go into PI grade R, which also means you don't get road cars messing up your racing car grids.

Klocker

At least the physics are decent (in road cars) which makes rivals (which will probably be the meat of the game for me) more fun than FM5.

I also echo the calls for making the AI cars scale to what you choose to drive, rather than you having to (completely ruin) modify your car to suit the aritary PI requirement that is set in stone.

I fancied driving the RS500 in a career series, but I HAD to tune it to some stupid PI requirement, which meant I had to have racing this and racing that to hit the PI requirement, and basically made the car pretty awful, why not let me drive it stock and have the AI bring a suitably tuned car to challenge me to the party?, they managed it in FH2.........

And don't even get me started on out and out racing cars being in PI grade S, never quite understood my T10 can't make it so that once you put certain RACE upgrades on a car they will go into PI grade R, which also means you don't get road cars messing up your racing car grids.

This too

So many good things about this game and then they stick to some archaic, unflinching ideas.

leng jai

Planning to pick this up tomorrow but it's a bit worrying that people are posting about being bored with career before the game is even out here.

danowat

Banned
Planning to pick this up tomorrow but it's a bit worrying that people are posting about being bored with career before the game is even out here.

Subjective opinions, YMMV!!

It's better than 5, so if you enjoyed that, you can't really go wrong.

I don't regret buying it, but it grinds my gears that T10 keep making the same (IMO) mistakes.

Mascot

Agreed. Career mode is pretty much dead to me already, especially with Drivatar behaviour still like being stuck in a public lobby with griefers, race wreckers and first-time drivers who brake mid-corner and show little respect, situational awareness or race craft. Hot lapping and Rivals (and probably idiot-free MP in a private lobby) is where this game shines.

erale

Well career can get a bit boring sometimes, but if you set up your drivatar difficulty properly you'll get some nice races. Still I would prefer another progression system and better AI.

krang

That was absolutely hilarious to watch in action.

Here is a video recap of our night race at nordschleife with the E23:

If you pause it at the right moment and go into photo mode, you might be able to make out the bailiffs hovering around the paddock area.

In 2D, of course.

willbsn13

I like the linearity on FM6's career more so than FH2's 'road trip' and pick whatever you want style career, but agreed that the matching PI system from FH2 is way better. I read somewhere they didn't do this due the way PI scales but I'm not sure if that was true or not.

Easy fix. Bring the same PI system from FH2 - Top class road cars are S2 - 998 (your P1's, LaFerraris etc) and then bring back R4, R3, R2 and R1 classes from FM2. So then the PI is scalable for any career event (and you can bring a stock/fully upgraded car to a career event) and then the race cars are seperated from the road cars - so we don't get grids full of both in S class and R class lobbies in free play.

danowat

Banned
Easy fix. Bring the same PI system from FH2 - Top class road cars are S2 - 998 (your P1's, LaFerraris etc) and then bring back R4, R3, R2 and R1 classes from FM2. So then the PI is scalable for any career event (and you can bring a stock/fully upgraded car to a career event) and then the race cars are seperated from the road cars - so we don't get grids full of both in S class and R class lobbies in free play.

Exactly, it's such a simple fix, I do wonder why it hasn't been done, there must be a design reason for it.

Stumbled upon, what appears to be a pretty comprehensive "manual" for the game....

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postst38236_Forza-Motorsport-6---Game-Features-FAQ.aspx

Nice time there! I tried to beat it, but after 5 laps, I was still ~1sec off and gave up. Not my favorite car really, but awesome feel of weight through the FFB.

I'm in the "let me experience untuned road cars" as well. One of the reasons, I'm playing the game, is that I want to experience these cars and not some skewed version. I mean, I love tuning in FM, but give an option for racing stock too in the career and not just in free play.

Fox Mulder

The career is what I spend much of my time doing, but it has always been boring itself as a mode really.

witness

Really hope T10 listens and addresses the complaints when it comes to the career issues, and gives us options. It's really holding the game back for me, and just makes me want to go back to FH2.

Talking about drivatars being shitty because they are based on any asshole that plays Forza, why not base drivatars on actual racing drivers, both present and historic. Imagine being on a grid with some of the greats, and how good could that racing be. Instead we get a field of any random person.

supersaw

So I'm loving the game so far among the best stuff:

• Much improved force feedback, feels on par with pc racers on the Clubsport V2
  • Forzavista for every car
  • Extra trackside detail makes the tracks looks less stale
  • Faster menus
  • Rain
  • Improved AI, finally they are less homicidal (I turn limit aggression to on) and the difficulty ramp feels better

Stuff that's missing / disappointing

• Severe lack of Japanese tracks. Where is Suzuka, Tsukuba, Motegi? Fujimi Kaido?
  • Forced upgrading in career, let me race stock and upgrade the bots to match?
  • No clubs in multiplayer (tell me if something like that is there I haven't been able to find it)
  • Not all engines can be viewed in Forzavista

MouldyK

The career is what I spend much of my time doing, but it has always been boring itself as a mode really.

Yeah, they can try to defend it as much as they want. but the fact they have not put in a Championship to tie the races together just makes the Career Mode (The ONLY reason I play the game besides Forza Rewards) terrible.

It's still my Premier Go-To Racer, but Turn 10 really need to step it up for Forza 7.

I've given in to the AI Behavior being more "Track-Day" than "Race-Day", but I still can't get to grip who something Forza Horizon 2 had is still more coherent and fun than the Main Series has ever done.

There's no excuse this time either because they took away the "Side Races" like Autocross and Bowling and put them elsewhere, but the main "Stories of Motorsport" are more like "Yawnfests of Motorsport" compared to the Showcase Section now.

You'll hear this rant from me for the next 1.5 years of me playing the Career on and off, so get used to it.

danowat

Banned
There's no excuse this time either because they took away the "Side Races" like Autocross and Bowling and put them elsewhere, but the main "Stories of Motorsport" are more like "Yawnfests of Motorsport" compared to the Showcase Section now.

Sifting the wheat from the chaff has, bizarrely, made the wheat seem less impressive, and the chafe more appealing!

Haven't got very far in the career at all.

Maybe 5 races in.

My problem is between the demo and Forza 5 I feel like I've seen it all before, CoTA was cool though.

MouldyK

Sifting the wheat from the chaff has, bizarrely, made the wheat seem less impressive, and the chafe more appealing!

It would be like saying "Sure, I love Lucky Charms, but wouldn't it be cool if they took the Marshmallows and packaged them separately? They taste so good and if they weren't limited by the Cereal, they could make the Marshmallows better!"...

...then they do that, but you realise the Marshmallows Pieces are not changed and instead make you sick because they haven't added a Championship Mode to the Marshmallows, so you realise the Cereal part is the best part on it's own.

danowat

Banned
Give the showcase events a go, the Race Driver Experiences especially are a blast.

They are indeed, very fun, infact, some of the factory spec races (like the MX5) are so fun they are about a million times better than the staid and uninspired career races.

The mind boggles why no one played them and thought, you know what, THIS is what the career should be like.

They are indeed, very fun, infact, some of the factory spec races (like the MX5) are so fun they are about a million times better than the staid and uninspired career races.

The mind boggles why no one played them and thought, you know what, THIS is what the career should be like.

And the bonkers thing is Forza 3 & 4 had those kind of thing in the big event grid.

erale

I guess because Forza is more a car collector game than anything else. So in the career races you can race whatever you want as long as it fits the PI.

MouldyK

They did...then Dan's Beard silenced them.

danowat

Banned
I guess because Forza is more a car collector game than anything else. So in the career races you can race whatever you want as long as it fits the PI (and class / grouping requirement).

You know, what, you're probably right, I am probably just not the demographic T10 are shooting for.

MouldyK

You know, what, you're probably right, I am probably just not the demographic T10 are shooting for.

I'm a Rewinding, Car Collecting, All-Assisting, Automating Casual...and the Career Mode still sucks because there is no life to it.

It begs the question: Who are they aiming for if not me?

Like I said, go back to 3's Season Play (or even the lesser version of it, 4's), shove up the Event List for those Checklisters among us and call it a day.

Have Turn 10 spoken of the the possibility to add Rain/Night through updates?

I'm playing through the demo over and over and the night/rain races are so much more interesting, but I understand they are few and far between in the full game.

T.O.P

Banned
how long was it?

Around 1:20 i guess? Went to bed right after since i started it a bit later than i should've lol

Haha how was it? Any glitches with rewinding?

Only had to use 1 rewind on the last lap because i looked at the clock on my phone and it almost killed my run

Just did the same.

Fucking M.Rossi in his BMW is so quick on Unbeatable I could only beat him by pitting less than him. AI pits every two laps so 3 stops total. I only made 2 pit stops which won it for me in the end but he came close at the end again. Tires were just too fucked up on the third lap.

Also almost missed my braking point at the end and dodged a crash by recovering the car. That would have been 1 hour and 10 minutes or something down the drain considering I play without rewind. Wuff

I did it every three laps, with the Corvette, wich btw is one of the most fun cars in the game to drive

Tires were kinda fucked up ye, but i had used the Aderence Mod wich helped a bit

I was stupid to set it on Pro tho, it was challenging on the first couple of laps but after that i was pretty much cruising around without a worry

Gonna try again tonight on Unbeatable o7

Also people give the Endurance Events a chance even if you don't like the idea of racing without a break for 2+ hours

It's the best Forza experience there is :)

Bit of a shame that there's no weather changes in this game, it would have been awesome to go Sunny->Night->Rainy

@I also wasted my first run because at the fourth lap i was like, did my trigger break? wtf... until i realized that Full Damage/Fuel were on for the event gg

Fox Mulder

Bit of a shame that there's no weather changes in this game, it would have been awesome to go Sunny->Night->Rainy

dynamic weather and time of day is so neat in pcars even with the downsides, but Forza went in a different direction. Maybe next gen the xbox will be powerful enough to do dynamic weather at the locked 60 fps.

I've been enjoying the career a lot. I spent four hours just tuning a GT-R at 750 to suit me even though I'll probably never use that tune again.

I wouldn't mind some factory spec racing in career, but that's not what I would want the career to be about. This thread has definitely given me the impression that T10 is in a "damned if I do, damned if I don't" situation.

Edit: Eh... "This thread..." I though I was posting in the other Forza thread.

Top Bottom