• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 |OT| Forza turns 10

Branson

If you mean a driving line assist that changes color depending on how fast you're going into corners, then yes. Forza's had this since at least FM2.
What? Ew. Lol. No I hate those. I meant rubber being layed down and marbles forming from that. I know the cars get dirty from racing I'm just wondering if the tracks also change from cars on them.

Branson

60fps comes at a cost..but yeah Forza 6 would be a good reason to grab a One.
For sure, but it's really not that crazy, just a darkening in of the racing line where the cars are running and the marbles don't have to be super detailed. Also the physics would obviously change from how much rubber is on the line. I figured it didn't but I haven't kept up with the game much. Just a lot of sims are moving into that direction now of focusing on the tracks like that. Different beast here though and I understand.

Damn. Game looks great otherwise. Like it's making me really want an Xbox One.

OPTICALLY it totally does, I just tried it at Monza GP. Did a burnout start with the Berlinetta from the thread-page before, then a borderline-stoppie. Tyre marks there. Then did a normal lap and checked if the tyre marks were still there and yes, they were exactly where I left them at the start

Edit: Of course that might be just for your car and it might be gone after you left x amount of marks, but most Forza players aren't into endurance.

Branson

OPTICALLY it totally does, I just tried it at Monza GP. Did a burnout start with the Berlinetta from the thread-page before, then a borderline-stoppie. Tyre marks there. Then did a normal lap and checked if the tyre marks were still there and yes, they were exactly where I left them at the start

Edit: Of course that might be just for your car and it might be gone after you left x amount of marks, but most Forza players aren't into endurance.
What about wet weather? Does a dry line form from the cars running on it?

What about wet weather? Does a dry line form from the cars running on it?
no. Weather isn't dynmic in any way. No puddles growing or shrinking, no dry-line, no windshield spraying from the guys in front of you.

But it FEELS great with an FFB-wheel and with a controller probably too.

Branson

Wow thanks guys ha. I guess this just has a different focus. Would be neat though. I'd be playing this with the TX wheel I have so I have a good excuse to pick One up.

I finally got some time to dive in last night, and yeah, best Forza ever. No contest. Ten years in, and the game is better than ever. Congrats, Turn 10.

My only real gripe is the lack of an option to race against stock opponents in career mode. As one of those weirdos who enjoys driving cars as they are, warts and all, the mandatory auto-upgrade to the top of a given class killed my enthusiasm for FM5's career and will likely do they same here. It's a shame, because the 'Stories of Motorsport' is a wonderful concept that breathes some new life into Forza's typically forgettable careers.

I bailed in the middle of the Qualifier series and spent the rest of the night messing around in Free Play and Rivals. It's all great fun, but in a game with such a robust selection of race cars, not being able to enjoy GT races without supercars in the pack is a bit of a bummer. Thank goodness Turn 10 is apparently aware of the limited options for setting the AI grid and a fix might possibly (?) be in the works.

I went ahead and added myself to the GAF spreadsheet. Internet connection here is oddly inconsistent at the moment, so no multiplayer for a while, but if anyone wants a Rivals ghost or an extra Drivatar, (with no guarantee of skill expressed or implied), feel free to add me.

GT: Thagom1zer

Tyre model is improved, at least for road tyres, suspension model feels more progressive, so better cars with more sophisticated suspension handle much better, so the cars now appear to have more variety in feel, where as I think more powerful cars just used to feel like slower cars with less sophisticated suspension, but with more power in previous versions.

Much better than 5, but I still think slicks are way off.

Car audio is more visceral, take the AMG SLS, burbles and pops on overrun and just sounds really organic and realistic, but it is a mixed bag with some sounding much better than others.

I think many of these things are very subjective though.

I agree, the cars on the whole feel much better, the supercars appear to be drivable now, I gave up with them in 5. Same with the group C, I drove the 787B and it was great.

I find the 2015 Lotus F1 car to just be ridiculous. The acceleration and handling scores aren't that much higher than the Indycars; although on a track I know it is in another league. It just spins up though, you have to be super careful about accelerating out of any corner. If you hit about 60 throttle in 1st, 2nd or 3rd, it spins the wheels. It just doesn't seem to have enough grip or downforce. The telemetry says it has about 980 bhp, but less than 300 ft/lbs of torque. If you accelerate in a straight line, it's kind of ok, coming out of a corner, I have to baby it.

I don't really get it, other cars have more power/torque, perhaps it's just the amazing power delivery of the Mercedes power unit and Lotus couldn't afford to make it drivable.

In general I feel as standard the cars don't have enough grip. Sometimes you think you've gone in to a corner slow enough, the nose has turned in fine, but the back isn't happy.

HunRevan

I just tried an online match. I had a message "weak online connection". I don't know why. There was no lag whatsoever and I have a 100/50mbit internet (xbox is wired, not wifi). Anyone else have this issue as well?

If you hit about 60 throttle in 1st, 2nd or 3rd, it spins the wheels. It just doesn't seem to have enough grip or downforce.

There's an episode of Top Gear where Hammond drives an F1 car and he found it had no grip. He said the grip didn't come until you were going fast enough for the downforce to work - which is counter intuitive but is the way these cars work.

The result is that you might have a corner that you can't get round faster than 70mph, but over 120mph you can get round it again.

I agree, the cars on the whole feel much better, the supercars appear to be drivable now, I gave up with them in 5. Same with the group C, I drove the 787B and it was great.

I find the 2015 Lotus F1 car to just be ridiculous. The acceleration and handling scores aren't that much higher than the Indycars; although on a track I know it is in another league. It just spins up though, you have to be super careful about accelerating out of any corner. If you hit about 60 throttle in 1st, 2nd or 3rd, it spins the wheels. It just doesn't seem to have enough grip or downforce. The telemetry says it has about 980 bhp, but less than 300 ft/lbs of torque. If you accelerate in a straight line, it's kind of ok, coming out of a corner, I have to baby it.

I don't really get it, other cars have more power/torque, perhaps it's just the amazing power delivery of the Mercedes power unit and Lotus couldn't afford to make it drivable.

In general I feel as standard the cars don't have enough grip. Sometimes you think you've gone in to a corner slow enough, the nose has turned in fine, but the back isn't happy.

If the simulation is similar to real life the downforce is vital for grip in an F1 car and that means maintaining as much speed as possible otherwise there won't be enough grip for acceleration. Without watching gameplay of you attempting it I can't really comment accurately but my suspicion is you are losing slightly too much speed.

erale

Anyone else thinks the volume of the other cars is too loud? Sometimes I can barely hear my own engine and tyres, which is annoying...

Azzawon

erale

There's an episode of Top Gear where Hammond drives an F1 car and he found it had no grip. He said the grip didn't come until you were going fast enough for the downforce to work - which is counter intuitive but is the way these cars work.

The result is that you might have a corner that you can't get round faster than 70mph, but over 120mph you can get round it again.

Its not the grip in corners. The car simply has no traction while accelerating from standing still, lower speeds. Thats not an aero problem

v0mitg0d

http://youtu.be/MLHEP0i90Z0

So I streamed about 45 mins of gameplay with fellow GAFers a few days ago (full game) and we had a blast! :)

We played some Indicar stuff, Top Gear stuff, Vintage Experental stuff, and then some career. Love this game!

Let me know what you think!

cyrok

I have a gaming PC, PS4, and a Wii U. This game makes me want to pick up the XBone, but just can't justify it.

These are the new electrically assisted turbo v6 era cars and they have absolute buttloads of torque.

If you watch a quali lap from the end of the V8 era younwont see much short shifting but even on dry conditions drivers are short shifting ss a rule of thumb in the new cars. Much of the available torque isnt usable and will indeed cause much spinning up.

Could be day one DLC maybe?

They also show a
Citroen DS3 and a Cadi limo

The latter of those two cars seems to have a glitched out bonnet camera that blocks most of the screen. It seems to be unfinished content but that raises the question of how they got it.

Hawk269

Any rumors on DLC tracks?

I mean, the track selection is great, but having more tracks is always welcomed. My short list of wishful thinking:

New York Full/Short
Maple Valley
Camino Real
Alpine Ring
Fuji Kaido

Hawk269

It genuinely boggles my mind the classic fantasy tracks haven't made a return, especially Camino and Maple.

Agree 100%. I figured they were missing in F5 due to time restraints of being a launch title, when they were not announced for F6, it was really a bummer. Imagine Maple Valley in the rain??

That is the other thing about the fantasy tracks, they can make them have wet weather as well since the reasoning on why some do and some don't is that it is based on if in the real world the track would have rain, with fantasy tracks that is mute and could be done. I am sure all of us would welcome a few more tracks at night or rain, their stable of fantasy tracks would easily allow this.

In addition, I always though their fantasy tracks were really well done. They add a lot of variety to the game and I really hope we see a few of them appear as DLC. T10 has pushed for 24 cars on track (most ever in a Forza game), Rain and Night (First time in a Forza game), why not go for the most ever track count in a Forza game? If I am correct, F6 matches F4 in track count...throw in Maple Valley, Camino Real and Alpine Ring and boom "MOST TRACKS EVER". lol

dakun

I have a gaming PC, PS4, and a Wii U. This game makes me want to pick up the XBone, but just can't justify it.

I'm pretty much on the same boat.. there are some other games i'd buy the Xbox One for (Halo, Quantum Break) but Forza is the main reason atm. Something is holding me back though.. i'm still waiting for a smaller sized box i think.

sam777

I'm pretty much on the same boat.. there are some other games i'd buy the Xbox One for (Halo, Quantum Break) but Forza is the main reason atm. Something is holding me back though.. i'm still waiting for a smaller sized box i think.

A smaller Xbox maybe released next fall but if you can't wait, I expect there to be some cracking deals in the next few months.

So Ive been playing for a bit now and have some initial positive and negative thoughts: -

Pros

- Looks great (rolling fog, sand, mist effects are fantastic)
- rain is superb, best implementation i've played with the puddles having a dramatic effect

Cons

- Braking is a nightmare. Basically seems to be no finesse, touching the trigger means lockup.
- AI are more destruction derby than race. I think PCars has this better, I can race many laps bumper to bumper in PCars, in forza I get AI randomly braking and other such oddities.
- Lacking any kind of visceral feel. Cars slide around but apart from the squealing its not very dramatic (caveat not tried anything high powered yet!).

Edit:

Ok went for a quick spin in a GT3 Z4 at Watkins Glen and that felt a lot better, maybe the career just isn't for me!

Edit Edit:

One thing I really miss from PCars is the brake lights. Really struggle to see them in Forza, even at night, they are very subtle. Its like they change colour rather than shine

witness

My only real gripe is the lack of an option to race against stock opponents in career mode. As one of those weirdos who enjoys driving cars as they are, warts and all, the mandatory auto-upgrade to the top of a given class killed my enthusiasm for FM5's career and will likely do they same here. It's a shame, because the 'Stories of Motorsport' is a wonderful concept that breathes some new life into Forza's typically forgettable careers.

I bailed in the middle of the Qualifier series and spent the rest of the night messing around in Free Play and Rivals. It's all great fun, but in a game with such a robust selection of race cars, not being able to enjoy GT races without supercars in the pack is a bit of a bummer. Thank goodness Turn 10 is apparently aware of the limited options for setting the AI grid and a fix might possibly (?) be in the works.

Couldn't agree more, that's my biggest issue with this game. I don't want to completely alter a cars character, and in FH2 I didn't have to. The AI would just adjust to whatever you were in, it was brilliant. I just like upgrading to street or sport tires, doing some drivetrain and suspension work and calling it a day. I don't want to double every cars HP. I did not hear they were going to try some things to address this, that's great news.

If I'm in a race car, I don't want to have a bunch of street cars on the track with me. Mixed race cars are fun and cool to see go head to head, but I do not want to see a Veyron next to my BMW Z4 race car.

I have'nt tried that many cars in night races but are dashboard lights missing? Usually you'd have backlighting on the rev counter/ speedo etc. But the cars I've tried just don't have anything. Seems to be missing an important detail. But I'll try more cars to be sure.

Also, when you do a series of 6 races for example, it shows the layout of the first race but none of the others so you don't know what layout you'll have in a race until you either start the race or do a practice lap. Silly oversight.

My main complaint is the AI engine sound. It's far too high. Really annoying when using manual gears and no rev display.

That said I like the game. Definately need brake adjustments, though. Perhaps altering the controller braking trigger less sensitive would help?

For those suffering brake issues - I've found changing brake force to between 70 and 80 helps a lot. Though you will need to fit adjustable brakes for this.

MouldyK

Just did a 3.5-Hour Play-through through the 3 Leagues of Series 2...

...my knees are shattered from the Pedals...

And driving the 2015 McLaren 650S Coupe with full Assists? Still don't know when to brake, so rewinding SO much.

Besides that, I love the grip the cars have.

Just played the demo and I'm definitely interested in buying this. It should be noted that I've always had a dislike for sim racers because of how the AI drives. I loved how the drivatars were actually competitive and made mistakes. The game looked mostly pretty too which is a plus. Also loved the spin you get when you level up. Really liking the mix of gamey fun mods and sim in this. My only wish that the demo had the photo mode!

Top Bottom