• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 |OT| Forza turns 10

From Reddit. God.. the physics are phenomenal.

1441579281-jeep-drift-2-resize.gif

This is from Driftwood at Gamersyde:

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_our_1080p_60fps_videos_of_forza_6-17086_en.html

Prompt can be switched on or off, it's not needed for rewind to work.

Were you trying to rewind close to the finish of a race? As you can't rewind right at the beginning of a race or close to the finish line on the last lap.
But it wasn't working regardless, that's what I'm saying.

It was lap 6/8 on the Nur endurance challenge and I'd missed the putstop and wanted to rewind, couldn't, and so tried to force the prompt with a crash and still had no joy. 40mins of progress lost because of the rewind wouldn't register.

Side-note: all of the cars for that event are pants except the Z4 - the SLS in particular handles horribly under braking.

What is the point of the male / female driver option?

It's an option, however, it's not an option that is communicated to the player at all (unless you stumble upon the 'change driver' option), neither does it say what, if anything, it affects.

They really should have fleshed the option out and made it, even slightly, meaningful too the game, just feels like they are paying lipservice to making it an option for a female player.

It shouldn't have any effect on the game unless you're trying to say something about female drivers.

Of all the things to have issue with this is quite the head scratcher. The simple way to introduce it would be a choose your driver option before you start the career. But even of its not in your face its a good thing to have in the game.

willbsn13

Wow, and to top this off the game is no stuck in rewind - 4 laps into my second attempt.

W T F

Was looking on reddit and found the issue is to do with rewinding while drivatars are in the pits. Rewind just simply doesn't work when the drivatars are in the pits. I'll look too see if somebody has posted it on the FM.net forums

danowat

Banned
It shouldn't have any effect on the game unless you're trying to say something about female drivers.

Of all the things to have issue with this is quite the head scratcher. The simple way to introduce it would be a choose your driver option before you start the career. But even of its not in your face its a good thing to have in the game.

Don't have an issue with it per say, just entering a dialogue about it, simply a discussion point, nothing more.

It confuses me when developers add something to a game that has no bearing on the game or isnt communicated to the player.

danowat

Banned
It has a bearing on the game for my daughter. That simple choice existing is important.

I understand that, but ten mins after your daughter has selected the female driver does she remember the in-game driver is female?, other than an arbitrary option to select 'female' in the option menu her game is identical to someone who is using a male avatar, it's impossible to tell if one is using male or female.

Now if there was a way to, in an RPG style, create a character and have that character appear in a post race podium presentation, or some kind of media interaction, I can see value in it.

This kind of leads me onto a post I've been considering for a while, that being the lack of any meaningful narrative in SIM style racing games.....

HunRevan

Hmm I should never drink again. I bought the ultimate edition yesterday... No regrets tho. I love forza and I did miss out Forza 5 since I didn't have a xone from the start. Currently downloading. Looking forward to it.

I understand that, but ten mins after your daughter has selected the female driver does she remember the in-game driver is female?, other than an arbitrary option to select 'female' in the option menu her game is identical to someone who is using a male avatar, it's impossible to tell if one is using male or female.

Now if there was a way to, in an RPG style, create a character and have that character appear in a post race podium presentation, or some kind of media interaction, I can see value in it.

This kind of leads me onto a post I've been considering for a while, that being the lack of any meaningful narrative in SIM style racing games.....

I think those that have been excluded will likely feel it matters more. There are things we often don't notice from our privileged position.

danowat

Banned
I think those that have been excluded will likely feel it matters more. There are things we often don't notice from our privileged position.

Very possibly, I guess I'd have to ask them to find out!

Wonder what the figures are for female gamers in games like this?

Very possibly, I guess I'd have to ask them to find out!

It does make a difference even if it's a small one. Any customization to make your in game avatar closer to who you are is meaningful.

spuckthew

So I've decided to get the Thrustmaster TX (thanks again to terrible for clarifying some things). I never played Forza 5 (don't currently have the console), but I put a shit ton of hours into Forza 4 with my old 911 GT2 wheel. So, to the wheel users here, how does Forza 6 compare to Forza 4 regarding physics?

Due to selling my GT2 a year ago I'm a bit rusty on the sim racing front, but I always felt more at home with Forza 4's driving model than iRacing for example (although I still love it). If Forza 6 drives similar, I can imagine falling in love with the franchise again.

Mogwai

What stats can you view in Forza 6? Total distance driven, distance driven per car, total time behind the wheel?

GHG

Was looking on reddit and found the issue is to do with rewinding while drivatars are in the pits. Rewind just simply doesn't work when the drivatars are in the pits. I'll look too see if somebody has posted it on the FM.net forums

Yeh I've read this before.

Basically, get good before you do the endurance races ;) .

Mista

Banned
Beautiful OT thanks OP!
Loving the game so much. Way better than 5 the garbage!
I played for like 2-3 hours and enjoying to max. Night races are from heaven!
Rain races? Its just unbelievable, so good. Especially if theres a spot full of water, if you go over it your car will lose grip a bit and you have to control it! This game is simply beautiful.

U3maCc0.jpg

danowat

Banned
Rain races? Its just unbelievable, so good. Especially if theres a spot full of water, if you go over it your car will lose grip a bit and you have to control it! This game is simply beautiful.

Arguably the best rain races in a racing game yet, which makes it all the more of a shame that's not available on all tracks.

I remember Dan Greenawalt talking about how diverse their player base was in an interview from 2013. He mentioned France having a very high percentage of female Forza players (France is Playstationland though, so there aren't many XBO gamers there in the first place).

We were talking about the same thing in the PCARS thread. The career idea with contracts and so on is a good idea, but needs more character to it. Rivalries, press interviews, random events, popularity ratings, a way to spend your money on things for your character that aren't cars.

The problem is the style of that career. Should it feel like the career in Grid, starting in a small garage with american muscle? One where you are part of a tuning crew, a little F&F/NFS-style? Should it be a decades spanning racedriver career? Or a short and professional one where you rise up to Formula 1?

Again Forza is too many things to too many different people to go for just one style of career. Maybe Turn 10 should try it anyway. It could even be DLC, like what GT did with Senna, just with more "story" focus.

Azzawon

What stats can you view in Forza 6? Total distance driven, distance driven per car, total time behind the wheel?

You can check them in the 'My Drivatar' tile on the options screen. It tracks a hell of a lot of data but not distance per car.

It even goes into minute details such as average and max tyre loads, tyre temps, suspension strokes, acceleration Gs, braking Gs and lateral Gs.

I'm glad they kept the alps track in forza 6, I really enjoy that circuit.

pppppst, hey turn 10 when will the alpine ring make it's glorious return?

From Reddit. God.. the physics are phenomenal.

1441579281-jeep-drift-2-resize.gif

This reminds me of the forza 3 demo, if you drove backwards around the last corner and tried to handbrake on the downhill grass you could roll the car.

It's one thing forza kind of lacked and that was having enough traction at speed to flip the car, it always felt like skidding at 200mph was turning the road into ice.

D23

Are you guys racing in cockpit view? Bumper? Third person? I can't really decide .. Wish they have the dashboard view like in driveclub

Gek54

So I've decided to get the Thrustmaster TX (thanks again to terrible for clarifying some things). I never played Forza 5 (don't currently have the console), but I put a shit ton of hours into Forza 4 with my old 911 GT2 wheel. So, to the wheel users here, how does Forza 6 compare to Forza 4 regarding physics?

Due to selling my GT2 a year ago I'm a bit rusty on the sim racing front, but I always felt more at home with Forza 4's driving model than iRacing for example (although I still love it). If Forza 6 drives similar, I can imagine falling in love with the franchise again.

Forza 5 with the TX wheel was the first time Forza FF felt right. That HID vs XID difference? Get the TX base and one of the better rims though.

Azzawon

This reminds me of the forza 3 demo, if you drove backwards around the last corner and tried to handbrake on the downhill grass you could roll the car.

It's one thing forza kind of lacked and that was having enough traction at speed to flip the car, it always felt like skidding at 200mph was turning the road into ice.

I was in a league race last night where some guy in an old muscle car decided to handbrake onto the infield at Daytona over the finish line. His car barrel rolled a good 6 or 7 times.

witness

So in the first two volumes in career none of the F&F car pack can be used while most of them should be eligible based on the classes. Is this dlc not integrated into the career?

Ennosuke

Are you guys racing in cockpit view? Bumper? Third person? I can't really decide .. Wish they have the dashboard view like in driveclub

I think that cockpit looks awesome, but I am really bad. So I played each Forza, since Forza 2 in the third person perspective.

For those with the game. What are the differences to the physics and handling model this time and how does it compare to previous entries for you? How is variety in car feel? What direction have they gone with the car audio, more of the same or an improvement? These are all questions you would think would be answered in a review but nah basic fundamentals never get written about.

danowat

Banned
For those with the game. What are the differences to the physics and handling model this time and how does it compare to previous entries for you? How is variety in car feel? What direction have they gone with the car audio, more of the same or an improvement? These are all questions you would think would be answered in a review but nah basic fundamentals never get written about.

Tyre model is improved, at least for road tyres, suspension model feels more progressive, so better cars with more sophisticated suspension handle much better, so the cars now appear to have more variety in feel, where as I think more powerful cars just used to feel like slower cars with less sophisticated suspension, but with more power in previous versions.

Much better than 5, but I still think slicks are way off.

Car audio is more visceral, take the AMG SLS, burbles and pops on overrun and just sounds really organic and realistic, but it is a mixed bag with some sounding much better than others.

I think many of these things are very subjective though.

Devildoll

Continuing on the discussion from the other thread about braking sensitivity etc. I've had the same issues with the braking feeling too sensitive as other people, strangely this wasn't an issue for me in Forza 5.
I've just been playing around a bit with brake pressure in the tuning menu and have some interesting results.

I just checked with my Maserati GranTurismo at A650 with roll bars, racing brakes/suspension, racing tyres with full width upgrade front and rear, and minor tweaks to ride-height and camber and here are the numbers:

100% Brake Pressure(default)
Braking Distance
97km/h - 0 = 36.8 metres
161km/h - 0 = 92.3 metres

71% Brake Pressure
Braking Distance
97km/h - 0 = 28.5 metres
161km/h - 0 = 75.3 metres

This thing was a pig to drive last night, now it feels much better. That's a big difference in braking distances, not sure if that's a bug or how it's supposed to work? It seems a bit extreme.
The trigger still feels way too sensitive though, you really have to feather it.

Note: I'm not a tuner's arsehole, so laugh away if this is normal. I tried the brake pressure tweak with my Ferrari 288 GTO @ B600 with similar results(even though it's on stock tyres), although it's best result was with brake pressure at 81%.
This enabled me to get a top 50 time on Hockenheimring with my own tune, (although there are only 1200 times up so far). However, I was having trouble with the GTO's braking/handling before the brake pressure tweak and slight adjustment to camber/toe-in, now it feels much better.

Feel free to add people to friends for Rivals/lap times/multiplayer etc

do you mean that the brake stat for the car actually changes just because you fiddle with the break pressure?

I'm no brake expert, but lowering the pressure on the brakes shouldn't impact brake distance in a good way.

I've just been playing around a bit with brake pressure in the tuning menu and have some interesting results.

do you mean that the brake stat for the car actually changes just because you fiddle with the break pressure?

I'm no brake expert, but lowering the pressure on the brakes shouldn't impact brake distance in a good way.

I was thinking the same thing. Does the algorithm that calculates the brake distance brakes linear/not ideal?

Maybe braking on a drag strip would help for testing? Go split-screen, both players take the same car, but with different brake pressure on the 1 mile drag strip, TCS and automatic shifting on, accelerate to 160mph then brake the way you want to brake in both cars one after the other and check which car had the shorter braking distance.

Devildoll

I was thinking the same thing. Does the algorithm that calculates the brake distance brakes linear/not ideal?

Maybe braking on a drag strip would help for testing? Go split-screen, both players take the same car, but with different brake pressure on the 1 mile drag strip, TCS and automatic shifting on, accelerate to 160mph then brake the way you want to brake in both cars one after the other and check which car had the shorter braking distance.

would need to use abs as well, otherwise the guy with the higher pressure would just lock the tires quicker than the other guy.

would need to use abs as well, otherwise the guy with the higher pressure would just lock the tires quicker than the other guy.
Not sure if the brake-distance calculation algorithm uses ABS. I'd guess not, so we can't prove it right or wrong either way. He probably should just test it the way he wants to brake, with or without abs, full trigger press or only 70% down. That way the result is at least valid for himself.

I tried to copy this design (edit: it's a WheelsAndMore.de Ferrari F12 Berlinetta tuning, you could find the design with "wheels and more" in the keywords in Forza):
I photoshop-filtered the image because the garage lighting made the yellow look too cold, on track the color is pretty accurate. Where I messed up is the stripe-distance, but it looks good, so whatever.

Talking about brake lock-up..., check my design with these rims:
There were quite a few rims where this happened.

danowat

Banned
So in the first two volumes in career none of the F&F car pack can be used while most of them should be eligible based on the classes. Is this dlc not integrated into the career?

I don't think any of the F&F cars belong to any group or division (there are a few others as well) therefore I don't think they fit into the career anywhere.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Did they bring back the storefront, or do you still have to go to each individual car to search for paint jobs?

Top Bottom