• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 7 demo is now live for Xbox One and W10

CSX

First performance

PC Specs : Titan X (maxwell) ; i7 2600k @ 4.8 ghz ; 16 gb RAM

Using in-game benchmark, FPS Average of 68.8 fps @ 2560x1440 max settings except for MSAA and Motion Blur set to Dynamic.

Only tried out one race with the Porsche. Oh boy, that thing understeers mad but then kicks out the tail at the exit lol. Then again, it might be me getting used to the controller since it's the first time I ever played Forza on a DS4. I sold my XB1 along with its controller which I used to play Forza 6 and Horizon 3 with.

Gestault

The big-rig feels great (too easy?) to handle, and the Nissan feels just about right. The braking distance in the rain is perfect.

That Porsche though? I don't think that's us. That feels wrong on a controller, and not in a normal "high-spec car engineered poorly" way.

nikos

Just finished the demo on both PC and Xbox One S.

Was able to max out the PC version at 4K on my 1070 while maintaining over 60fps. Didn't expect that to happen. Looked good on my S2716DG monitor, but visuals seemed a bit sterile.

Decided to connect it to my KS8000, and that's when it really shined. It was exactly what I expected. Wasn't able to run HDR due to some complications, so that'll have to wait.

I then booted it up on the S for comparison. Looked considerably worse, but that's to be expected.

I have the X on preorder. If it really runs it in native 4K, with all of the graphics settings of the PC version, I'll be happy. HDR will be a really nice bonus.

As far as gameplay goes, it felt good. I even enjoyed the Porsche. First impression left me feeling like it could be the best Forza since Forza 2, which was my favorite in the series. Definitely looking forward to playing more.

Fiber

They just fukd up with that 'normal and 'sim' steering options, normal is too sluggish, sim is way much more jumpy.

Alebelly

First performance

PC Specs : Titan X (maxwell) ; i7 2600k @ 4.8 ghz ; 16 gb RAM

Using in-game benchmark, FPS Average of 68.8 fps @ 2560x1440 max settings except for MSAA and Motion Blur set to Dynamic.

Only tried out one race with the Porsche. Oh boy, that thing understeers mad but then kicks out the tail at the exit lol. Then again, it might be me getting used to the controller since it's the first time I ever played Forza on a DS4. I sold my XB1 along with its controller which I used to play Forza 6 and Horizon 3 with.

lol, and that Porsche is essentially a race car without a race day aero package, one would think oversteer would be a dominating handling characteristic.

Captn

Can't start the demo on PC. It is stuck in Press Enter to Start.

For all of you with the stuttering in menus and crashes while loading.

Disable Core 0 in task manager once the game boots up. No more stuttering or barely for a sec or 2. And the game loads fine!!

Set CPU affinity option. :D

Enjoy!!

Alebelly

It's a rear engine car, seems properly punishing when unsettled.

from: http://www.automobilemag.com/news/2018-porsche-911-gt2-rs-go-early-ride/

This Porsche can do a lot of things wannabe rivals fail to match. But what really separates the GT2 RS from the flock is the way it delivers these goods. Take the steering, which reads the road with the accuracy of a 3D plotter. In this car, input equals output, irrespective of velocity and terrain. Entry speeds into corners are fast-forward viral videos; lateral grip exceeds all physical and mental thresholds gathered in the course of a long life at the wheel of fast cars. And just when you are absolutely certain the moment has come to pay the price for the driver’s folly and for the insane 39/61-percent front-to-rear weight distribution, the rear-wheel steering interacts with a casual stabilizing gesture. The brakes combine deceleration that feels like you’ve crashed into a wall with tactile modularity and instant feedback.

disappointed in the FFB :( I was so ready to preorder the ultimate edition, now I'm not sure. Why can't the FFB be like iRacing? I'm not feeling any bumps in the road. I'll try and tweak some stuff tomorrow, maybe i can make it better.

disappointed in the FFB :( I was so ready to preorder the ultimate edition, now I'm not sure. Why can't the FFB be like iRacing? I'm not feeling any bumps in the road. I'll try and tweak some stuff tomorrow, maybe i can make it better.
Forza has always been a bit weak on FFB.

_DrMario_

GTX1080 with a I5 3570k @ 3.8Ghz. Too much stuttering for my taste. Doesn't matter what settings I use. Looks like I'm going to have to pass on the game.

Did you play with the FF effects at all?

I'm using a TX Wheel and found the default settings way too heavy.

I'm still playing with the sliders but so far these settings feel much better.

O454ADu.jpg

Going to have to try these when I get home. I have a fanatec csl which is already heavier then my old TX was. Wasnt a big issue in 6, but in this demo it was almost undrivable due to the forces. Vibration was so strong I thought my wheel was going to unscrew itself. I forsee a couple hours of adjustments in my future.

Ovech-King

Gold Member
Recommended
Processor Intel i5 4460 3.2GHz or AMD FX-8350
Graphics NVIDIA GTX 670 or NVIDIA 1050 Ti or AMD RX 550

4K 60fps game, no shit !

P.S. I'm getting the console so no trolling here

Bradd12

Well I just tried it on my 680.
What an absolute stuttery mess.
720p is horrible aswell
Horizon 3 ran better for me
Guess I have to get an xbox

pfr

I then booted it up on the S for comparison. Looked considerably worse, but that's to be expected.

I have the X on preorder. If it really runs it in native 4K, with all of the graphics settings of the PC version, I'll be happy. HDR will be a really nice bonus.
Will be? Xbox One S has HDR, too, no impressions on that?

Momentary

Banned
Well since I'm locked to 72FPS I figured I'd test out how crisp I could get this game to look.

At 5120x2880 with 2xMSAA and everything else maxed with a most of the cars on the screen and rain at high velocity, I can push 60FPS without drops in frames other than inside menus for some reason.

Hopefully the final version has unlocked framerates.

Well since I'm locked to 72FPS I figured I'd test out how crisp I could get this game to look.

At 5120x2880 with 2xMSAA and everything else maxed with a most of the cars on the screen and rain at high velocity, I can push 60FPS without drops in frames other than inside menus for some reason.

Hopefully the final version has unlocked framerates.

Menu's are likely designed to run at half refresh, so it drops you to 36fps.

Head.spawn

This game runs great on my 970m laptop. My only complaint is the lack of an fps counter and all those kind of necessities. Also, I'm not too keen on that Benchmark tool and whether it's representative of your actual experience. My game ran much better playing normally than the benchmark would've suggested.

Kambing

Anyone got HDR working on PC? I don't see the option in game

Where's the option to enable HDR?

Hey sorry for the late response.

I've got a C7 OLED. In the Nvidia CP, under 'change resolution' tab, i select 'use default color settings. In Windows 10 'dispay settings' i have HDR enabled. Lastly, on the C7 itself any other input but PC will kick the game into HDR.

Once you boot the game up using the above settings, under the video options you'll see a tab for HDR. It's damn awesome.

Ah, the good old Windows 10 Store. I bet they must have fixed that shit by now.

*crashes two seconds after I hit 'Install'*

Yep, seems about right. My Windows install is all up to date, too.

Regular XB1 version looking very nice.

Looks pretty good. Ive never considered myself a racing game fan, but after getting Forza 5 for free with Games With Gold and enjoying it more than I expected, I might pick this up too. I love driving in the rain in games. I love the pre-race grid girls that the Ridge Racers games used to have too, but I wont expect them here.

So I'm very new to Xbox and Forza. I played Forza Horizon 3 earlier this year and loved it. Superb game.

I tried both the Forza 6 and now the Forza 7 demos. I...prerer the Forza 6 demo by a long shot. The Forza 7 demo felt like 3 random races, none of which I thought were much fun. The Forza 6 demo had a lady explaining how the career mode works and I understood how the racing works within the context of career mode. I felt motivated to place in the Top 3 to qualify. And the races just felt better to me.

Visually, the games looked very similar. The first Forza 6 track I tried was more colorful than any of the Forza 7 tracks, which I preferred. Other than that they looked quite similar.

I'm kinda considering getting Forza 6 for $20 CAD during Black Friday instead of Forza 7 for $50 CAD at that time. Am I crazy? Any big reason to get Forza 7 instead of Forza 6 for a newcomer to Forza Motorsport??

derFeef

Honestly, this is by far the worst demo they have done for a Forza game yet.
It feels cobbled together and inconsistent - which hopefully does not translate to the main game. I hoped they can push me over to Motorsport again with 7 but it seems lke I will still enjoy Horizon a lot more, especially on PC. Not sure I will jump in at launch :(

Mahnmut

GTX1080 with a I5 3570k @ 3.8Ghz. Too much stuttering for my taste. Doesn't matter what settings I use. Looks like I'm going to have to pass on the game.

Had the same issue on a 1080ti. Try the tip someone posted few pages ago : in Nvidia CP, in Manage 3D settings, add a profile for the demo and set power management mode to 'prefer maximum performance'.

xrnzaaas

So I'm very new to Xbox and Forza. I played Forza Horizon 3 earlier this year and loved it. Superb game.

I tried both the Forza 6 and now the Forza 7 demos. I...prerer the Forza 6 demo by a long shot. The Forza 7 demo felt like 3 random races, none of which I thought were much fun. The Forza 6 demo had a lady explaining how the career mode works and I understood how the racing works within the context of career mode. I felt motivated to place in the Top 3 to qualify. And the races just felt better to me.

Visually, the games looked very similar. The first Forza 6 track I tried was more colorful than any of the Forza 7 tracks, which I preferred. Other than that they looked quite similar.

I'm kinda considering getting Forza 6 for $20 CAD during Black Friday instead of Forza 7 for $50 CAD at that time. Am I crazy? Any big reason to get Forza 7 instead of Forza 6 for a newcomer to Forza Motorsport??

If you didn't play any FM games in the past then Forza 6 is a great buy. The game is packed with content as well and you can easily spend 100+ hours with it if you won't get bored with the limited number of tracks and repeatable career races. Forza 7 basically has two big additions - 4K XONEX (4K XONEX 4K XONEX!!!!!!) and dynamic weather/time of day (in Forza 6 you still get cool night and wet races, but the weather doesn't change during the race). The rest will just be more of the same.

Mascot

The big-rig feels great (too easy?) to handle, and the Nissan feels just about right. The braking distance in the rain is perfect.

That Porsche though? I don't think that's us. That feels wrong on a controller, and not in a normal "high-spec car engineered poorly" way.

The big rigs were interesting but ridiculous in chase cam, unless you just want to look at the back of your own vehicle. The chase camera for the rigs should be a lot higher and further back. Why am I using chase cam, you ask? Because Forza still has a ridiculously small lock-to-lock on the cockpit steering wheel, which looks daft. And no VR option. And plays like an arcade game.

eso76

Because Forza still has a ridiculously small lock-to-lock on the cockpit steering wheel, which looks daft. And no VR option. And plays like an arcade game.

But there's that new dashboard cam..

Anyway, downloading this on PC (32GB Ram, i7 5820, GTX970) because no xbox.
From the screens in this thread it looks like IQ is pretty good on Xbox one S ? Looks better than FM6 to me

If you liked FH3, FH2 is also an option?

Mascot

But there's that new dashboard cam..

Yeah, that was welcome but felt a little odd. I'll be playing this in chase cam anyway, I think. Same as Horizon, same as Apex. It just feels more appropriate to me for these titles. I'll keep cockpit view for sims.

Does this have such huge CPU problems and the stutter problems like Apex?

I am pretty sure Apex had the problem that luanch Horizon had, where it pegged one core at 99% and was heavily single thread limited.

Can I decouple from 60 fps? To run at 120hz / 120fps? Can you turn off vsync / adjust it to you liking (adaptive half, adaptive quarter, triple buffer, double buffer, off)?

MaxiLive

Hmmm, I haven't played a normal Forza game in a while and these impressions are with a control so please bare that in mind.

First off the game looks great and ran pretty well for me, some of the effects seemed lacking but others were fantastic such as the reflections and lighting for the most part. The handling felt somewhat disappointing with a controller I really struggled to get a flow with the Porsche and the feedback of what the car was doing didn't feel to great (I know I know controller and
all that but others sims have done this a lot better imo).

The trucks were fun but the AI overall seemed rather brain dead when it came to awareness of where your car is, they will continue to hold their line even if it means just sitting there t-boning you slowly. Nice to see them try battle even if they weren't successful a lot of the time :p

My biggest disappointment was the in the Nissian and the dry-wet, I felt barely any difference if any difference at all between the dry and wet? The puddles obviously had an affect but I think the braking points were slightly different and that was about it.

I'm not sure if I was on sim or arcade handling I just set the assists to Professional. Overall it played well and still felt pretty good but has it had been a while since I played a normal Forza game I was expecting somewhat of a leap compared to my experiences with the older games which I didn't feel too much. Still a decent game though!

Ran the benchmark on my 6850K/GTX1080, everything max, performance target dynamic:

2560x1440:
lO4c.png

4K:
mO4c.png

Safe to say that the demo is not very demanding (disregard the min fps, it's counting something which isn't there in the actual gameplay sequence) - but it remains to be seen if this will hold for the full game with 4K assets and other XBX improvements.

CPU isn't really being loaded either:

pO4c.png

But the game seems to put a lot of work in one thread as in both benchmark runs one "core" ran at ~80-100%. Seems like a waste for a DX12 engine. (Red rectangles are for the benchmark runs, 1440 first, 4K second.)

Seems to be support on latest Fall Creator Update builds.

Welp this answers my question. Rather poor threading.

terrible

Banned
I don't really have anything good to say about this demo. It runs very poorly on my system [edit: My PC I mean] just like FH3 and Apex and it has the worst FFB out of any "sim" I've played. I think it might even be worse than the FFB in Forza 6. With a controller it seems like a decent drifting game just like Forza 5 and 6. That's the closest I can come to complimenting it.

I'll just stick to the Forza Horizon series from now on since this style of physics suits that series way more.

I don't know what they've done to the physics, it doesn't feel like Forza Motorsport anymore, it feels quite odd.

I've been playing some Forza 4 lately and it is indeed a different (and much better) feel.

Bluforce

I have to say that maybe I was expecting too much from this game.
But I'm very disappointed. This have nothing to do with "sim racing".

I had great fun with FM games on 360. I don't understand what happened.

Mascot

I don't know what they've done to the physics, it doesn't feel like Forza Motorsport anymore, it feels quite odd.

The 911 at Dubai is atrocious, it's like there's no rubber on the rims and the car wants to go straight. The GT-R at Nurb is better, but still 'off'. At least we know that different cars might feel different to each other, I guess.

Top Bottom