• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 7 demo is now live for Xbox One and W10

Can you post some screens so i can see the issue? Along with your gfx settings please.

As promised here's a shot I posted with a comparison.
apSHsSB.png

The left is my own screenshot from PC (i7 6700k, 980Ti, 16GB DDR4, Windows 10 Pro x64, all settings set to non-dynamic maxed out). The right is from some Xbox One X E3 footage. (Ignore the jaggies and lighting differences as I just took very quick shots of the same part of the car)

You can see in my shot that the headlight and grille are a lot more polygonal, as my copy of the demo seems to override my models with the Xbox One (non-X) quality models. In the menu and pre-race it shows the full quality model, the same as the one on the right.

Hope that's enough detail, if not feel free to PM me.

EDIT: Just to clarify too, I've spoken to (and seen screenshots from) others who play at max on PC, and they see the quality shown on the right screenshot.

everything off or burst, like in every "supposed to be" sims.

Thats how I do it, but that car needs tuning for that track. The stock settings wont let you get on the power for most of that track. I can do it if im extremely careful but its to much of a handful to call it fun without being able to tune it with all assist off.

Edit: this applies to using a wheel, with controller its less of an issue.

Gek54

This is funny :) maybe it's just better to acknowledge physics exists rather than trying to engineer around it? :)

Most people put engines in the front because that's the best place to put them.

Could you explain how to drive a rear engined car "properly" ?

It is putting 700HP to the wheels that are already desperately trying to keep that rear engine from stepping out. It's also going to be extra sentitive to throttle lift oversteer. Sometimes you need to get on the gas to correct a slide unlike a front engine where you would normally let off.

This was probably the worst Porsche to start people on.

I just gave the demo a second go. Tried to tweak the force feedback, and.... what? All the options are complete garbage.

Damping? Hmm, do I want my FFB information diluted by an imaginary counter weight?
Why would I? My physical wheel rim has unnecessary weight already.

Vibration? Do I want some fake rumble effect like "if on surface xyz then rumble (0,4)"??
No, I'd actually like my vibration to be of the right amplitude and frequency, the one they would be from bump steer in a real car.

Center Spring? Do I want a torsion spring on my wheel, so it returns to center automatically?
No, I'd like that to come from caster and kingpin of the steering suspension geometry so that it happens with the natural force depending on tire loads and gyroskopic effects and whatnot.

This is completely terrible. If my game would bake it's FFB in such embarrassing ways, I'd definitely be not so damn open about it and look up how other games do. Actually, they don't need to look that up, because many people in ForzaMotorsport.net community have told them again and again over the years how it should work.

Gowans

Checked the demo out in 4k after work on the PC, I just played with a controller on one monitor but didn’t have any issues.

Looks crisp and lovely, nice little preview for the x.

Luckydog

I just gave the demo a second go. Tried to tweak the force feedback, and.... what? All the options are complete garbage.

Damping? Hmm, do I want my FFB information diluted by an imaginary counter weight?
Why would I? My physical wheel rim has unnecessary weight already.

Vibration? Do I want some fake rumble effect like "if on surface xyz then rumble (0,4)"??
No, I'd actually like my vibration to be of the right amplitude and frequency, the one they would be from bump steer in a real car.

Center Spring? Do I want a torsion spring on my wheel, so it returns to center automatically?
No, I'd like that to come from caster and kingpin of the steering suspension geometry so that it happens with the natural force depending on tire loads and gyroskopic effects and whatnot.

This is completely terrible. If my game would bake it's FFB in such embarrassing ways, I'd definitely be not so damn open about it and look up how other games do. Actually, they don't need to look that up, because many people in ForzaMotorsport.net community have told them again and again over the years how it should work.

Which one of the games you have made doesnt do that so I can check it out?

Qassim

There's a new NVIDIA driver out which states it is 'optimised' for Forza 7, I dunno if it actually makes any difference - but in case anyone wants to give it a try.

terrible

Banned
The performance is so weird. When I first tried the demo I tried it at 1080p with a mix of medium/high settings and it was a complete stuttering mess going from single digit FPS to 60 constantly.

Last night as a joke I set everything to max except AA (which I turned off) and set scaling to 200% and it ran at 60 FPS except when the game decided to freeze for a second or two which would happen once or twice a lap. 200% scaling is basically 4K right? No idea how a GTX 1060 can do 4K 60 FPS with only ~73% GPU usage.

Gek54

Also the previous GT2 RS was dubbed the "Widow Maker" with only 620HP.

Regarding this 2018 model: “It’s biblical power—unbelievable stuff,” said Mark Webber, the former Formula One ace and Porsche endurance who's now helping develop Porsche road cars. “It has to be respected, this car. A lot…I’m not scared of this car, but it has to be respected.”

Profanity

At the moment we're collating all the various feedback people are posting about the demo. Those comments will certainly be passed on.

How do you personally think it is strange? Are you playing on a pad or wheel?

With regards FFB on wheels we've got one of our devs currently interacting with the community in the below thread to root out some of the current issues people might be experiencing.

https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/...FB--is-it-fixed--UP--Nope--Still-Broke.aspx?=

Hi Helios, while you're collecting feedback - a brightness/gamma slider would be wonderful for the PC version. Simply having a screen that tells you to adjust your own setup is unacceptable.

Just finished the demo.

Looks beautiful, runs perfectly and the two cars and the lorry handled great.

Going to have loads of fun with this, T10 do it again :)

everything off or burst, like in every "supposed to be" sims.
If it's a sim, it should give you the correct option for each car. It doesn't make sense to not have abs in a modern road car or a clutch where there is none for example.

The game really needs;

Quality FFB with a clipping display/adjustment
FoV and position adjustment
'factory' assists/clutch
Pedal linearity settings or at least better defaults
Soft lock

Hi Helios, while you're collecting feedback - a brightness/gamma slider would be wonderful for the PC version. Simply having a screen that tells you to adjust your own setup is unacceptable.
I really disagree with you here. Your display should be calibrated with a suitable image and then left alone. It makes no sense to have to keep changing sliders in every game. If your display is right, it's right and should look good for everything (unless the game is not developed to standards).

HeliosT10

i've cancelled my preorder as i'm not happy with performance. it's OK most of the time but having the game completely freeze video/audio for 2-3 seconds every lap is unacceptable. then you have all the stuttering in menus which i could deal but it just makes me think they have no idea what they're doing with the PC version.

i'll hold off a couple months and see if performance is improved. hopefully the demo isn't representative of the full game and is based on an old build or that there will be nvidia drivers released to help.

other than performance I'm quite happy with the game. driving feels good to me and there is no denying just how great the game looks.

Hi there,

Are you able to PM me a DxDiag and what other processes you are running so we can take a closer look.

Profanity

I really disagree with you here. Your display should be calibrated with a suitable image and then left alone. It makes no sense to have to keep changing sliders in every game. If your display is right, it's right and should look good for everything (unless the game is not developed to standards).

Yeah, let's not have options that are in 99% of PC games.

My monitor is calibrated, and while some games agree with my balance, others don't. I'm not saying whether they're correct or I'm correct, but being able to use a slider to investigate hurts no-one, and it's not exactly difficult to implement.

Gestault

To add my two cents, my monitor is carefully calibrated for work. I never, ever want a game on that PC to expect me to adjust the base configuration to tailor its appearance. In-game sliders would be very much appreciated. This isn't to say the levels in Forza 7 are problematic, but were they, I'd be pretty annoyed.

ascully

Game runs fine for me on PC, menus are stuttery as hell though as though disk access is 100% while any loading is happening.

To add my two cents, my monitor is carefully calibrated for work. I never, ever want a game on that PC to expect me to adjust the base configuration to tailor its appearance. In-game sliders would be very much appreciated. This isn't to say the levels in Forza 7 are problematic, but were they, I'd be pretty annoyed.
I'd be annoyed too, but I'd be asking for them to fix the levels before adding sliders. Regardless, all that stuff should be in the GPU control panel. It doesn't make any sense for every developer to add calibration and video level sliders in their games, waste of time. Most of them are useless anyway with images that don't even make sense for a full-range display.

Bydobob

Tried this with my G27 and it suffers the same problems as FH3. FFB out of the box is weak, with no feedback at all around centre (15 deg). Makes it hard to feel tyre grip and with a snappy, rear-weighted car like the GT2RS it's all too easy to spin on throttle lift. Compounding this problem is the fact that you only get 180 degrees rotation lock-to-lock, meaning it's impossible to counter-steer enough and rescue a spin.

Changing the wheel settings didn't help much. Increasing overall effects strength only amplified the already earth-shattering vibration. Compounding it all the Logitech profiler caused terrible hitching so I gave up trying to make it work. Sigh.

MaLDo

Hi there,

Are you able to PM me a DxDiag and what other processes you are running so we can take a closer look.

Apart from the performance problems (race and menus) I would like to tell you about a problem that exists in the demo and in Forza Apex too. Every time a new gpu driver is installed, the game resets every graphic option you've selected. Fine tunning a wide range of options to adjust the game to your pc components and to your performance expectations is sometimes a hard work, especially with games as fussy as these two in terms of hitches and stutters. After that work you don't want to lose every option you selected only because nvidia releases a new driver. Everytime I launch Apex for a fast race, if it's more than a month since the last time I played, all options resets to dynamic. And this means the game runs without vsync and that the framepacing issues are insufferable.

No other game of the more than 1000 that I have installed behaves this way. At most, they change to the default screen resolution if the one that was selected no longer exists with the new driver. But it doesn't change the graphical options because... reasons.

Luckydog

Serious question. Why would you ever game on a PC that was carefully calibrated for work? If my PC required a specialized setup for my work, not sure I would risk it with gaming, or video streaming, or anything not specialized. I'm sure most games are fine, but what if it blew something up? Hell, look at the issue with the utility CCLeaner recently... I would be leary of installing anything not required on a specialized setup.

Serious question. Why would you ever game on a PC that was carefully calibrated for work? If my PC required a specialized setup for my work, not sure I would risk it with gaming, or video streaming, or anything not specialized. I'm sure most games are fine, but what if it blew something up? Hell, look at the issue with the utility CCLeaner recently... I would be leary of installing anything not required on a specialized setup.

Lets not get carried away now...

Frostman

Aside from the performance issues on PC, does anyone find the demo making them less likely to pick up the full game - eg issues with handling or AI etc?

Performance is fine for me on PC, but the biggest disappointment is the AI honestly, which is making me question the purchase.

They don't give a fuck. Sticking to the racing line, bumping etc

Plus, the Porsche is wank. Something's wrong.

sTiTcH AU

The game really needs;

Quality FFB with a clipping display/adjustment
FoV and position adjustment

This times infinity especially the clipping. I feel like im lucky with the new dash camera in the game as its very close to the fov I have in iRacing/AC.

Honestly with a wheel the game feels like if you ever move off the 'virtual racing line' even an inch every car becomes an uncontrollable piece of shit, its so frustrating and feels so unnatural to me.

willbsn13

Turn 10 Dev on the 911 GT2RS handling

With regards to the Porsche, we are aware of player feedback regarding handling of the Porsche 911 GT2 RS in the Forza Motorsport 7 demo and are investigating.

Momentary

Banned
The Porsche GT2 RS controls like some kind of boat. I don't know how anyone can defend it. Also seems like water has very little effect on the control of the vehicle. Another thing is how weird the AI is. I finally turned on the racing line and it's like ever car is trying to follow it exactly and will kill anyone that gets in their way.

Gek54

The GT2 RS on Rio Full in FM7 is even more volitile and less manageable and I don't remember anyone complaining that the physics of the "Widow maker" were off. Its understeer is even worse, as is its snap oversteer.

Momentary

Banned
The Porsches in Assetto Corsa and Project CARS 2 feel so much better than this. Either their physics are off or this game's physics are off.

I'm basically picking this game up later down the road just for a fun car collecting app. Love the graphics, but that's about it. Wet surface racing feeling completely safe, AI that only follows the ideal racing line, and a Porsche 911 that drives like an old Oldsmobile with 600HP slapped into it has me steering clear.

Do they usually offer preorder vehicles later after release? Did they do that for Horizon 3?

Hawk269

Can anyone with a Series 7 LG OLED tell me how the HDR is working for them? I have a new E7 65" Screen and in the video settings menu, the slider that tells you to move the HDR brightness until the Forza 7 Logo disappears is broken for me. It does not change, to the left it gets darker and to the right it does lighten up but 100% still visible even with the slider moved all the way to the right. My TV is in HDR Game Mode when doing this.

I also have my Wifes Xbox One S on a Sony 75" 940d which is HDR as well and the slider is functioning perfectly. Just a few moves to the right out of the gate and the logo disappears with no issue, but as stated on the LG no matter where I put the slider the logo never disappears which causes the HDR to not be as great since it can never be set properly.

Oddly, Forza Horizon 3 works flawlessly on both of my sets and the slider in that game works as intended.

Thank you to anyone that can help.

Gek54

The Porsches in Assetto Corsa and Project CARS 2 feel so much better than this. Either their physics are off or this game's physics are off.

Neither of those games have the GT2 RS which is imo by far the most demanding Porsche in FM6.

PC 8K feedback.

Settings: 8K, ultra, 2xMSAA and high quality anisotropic filtering from Nvidia drivers.

Hardware: 1080Ti Strix, 4790K, 16GB RAM.

Benchmark: 53 FPS average.

On the Nürburgring with the rain the performance is good except from the puddles. Big frames drop there.

Screenshot (resized to 1080p) with this settings:

forza8kj0zqb.png

KageMaru

Go figure I'm out of town the week this drops. Can't wait to try it out on my PC when I get home. Was back and forth between this and PC2, so depending on how this demo runs, I may end up getting this.

PC 8K feedback.

Settings: 8K, ultra, 2xMSAA and high quality anisotropic filtering from Nvidia drivers.

On the Nürburgring with the rain the performance is good except from the puddles. Big frames drop there.

forza8kj0zqb.png

8K with 2x SMAA?! I'm impressed it runs as well as it does. Would love to get my hands on a 1080ti.

mcrommert

Banned
Apart from the performance problems (race and menus) I would like to tell you about a problem that exists in the demo and in Forza Apex too. Every time a new gpu driver is installed, the game resets every graphic option you've selected. Fine tunning a wide range of options to adjust the game to your pc components and to your performance expectations is sometimes a hard work, especially with games as fussy as these two in terms of hitches and stutters. After that work you don't want to lose every option you selected only because nvidia releases a new driver. Everytime I launch Apex for a fast race, if it's more than a month since the last time I played, all options resets to dynamic. And this means the game runs without vsync and that the framepacing issues are insufferable.

No other game of the more than 1000 that I have installed behaves this way. At most, they change to the default screen resolution if the one that was selected no longer exists with the new driver. But it doesn't change the graphical options because... reasons.

I'm sorry but there is no way you have 1000 games installed

MaLDo

I'm sorry but there is no way you have 1000 games installed

I mean accesible through steam and ready to be played. Every steam game is installed (nearly 900), every origin and uplay and windows store, etc games are installed too and linked in steam and then there are wii and neogeo and other consoles games ready to be played in steam too and old games from gog. In total are I think 1300 games ready to be launched. Why do you think is not possible? GOW4 sizes one hundred GB but MarioBros is only a few kbs.

PC 8K feedback.

forza8kj0zqb.png

Did you resize by using nearest neighbor? A lot of aliasing on those poles.

HF2014

Ok. Actualy surprise my surface book 1rst gen with 940m gpu can handle this. Downloaded todays latest drivers, tweak some settings in my nvidia config, set it at 60 fps and everything else dynamic,and quite honestly, it run very ok compare to what forza apex was running. It would run better eith a 2gb card, but still, ts not bad at 1280 resolution.

Im impress , really.

Ogawa-san

Anyone has HDR working properly with the latest Nvidia drivers? I had to downgrade to 378.92 for it to work, but I was a couple months late on updates so maybe I missed a fix.

borges

Banned
PC 8K feedback.

forza8kj0zqb.png

Jesus man, you're really one step ahead of the rest ha. Im going to join the 4k hype at EOY, and you are on 8k already!

Captn

Yep this game runs superb!!

Nvidia CP MSAA ON
All settings maxed out!
2560x1440 at res scale 200% (Whatever that gives)

Never goes under 59-60-61

On the rain track.

GTX 1080ti Strix
I7 7820X
32 gigs DDR4 3467 mhz

Can't wait for full game!! :D

And yes for the gsync fps counter to work, you need to be at native screen resolution.

I have the Asus PG279Q

1080 ti, LG B6, HDR, Everything maxed. Pure eye candy. The sounds from this game stole the show though. Only minor issue I had was with the handling. Even with all assists off, it still felt like I wasn’t fully in control of my vehicle. I don’t know, it just felt slightly off.

Top Bottom