• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 7 demo is now live for Xbox One and W10

watership

This camera angle is very much appreciated

YQVhSBh.gif

It really is. It's now my default.

Anyone has HDR working properly with the latest Nvidia drivers? I had to downgrade to 378.92 for it to work, but I was a couple months late on updates so maybe I missed a fix.

The option doesn’t show up unless you're on fairly current drivers. Need to enable HDR in Windows first.

It really is. It's now my default.

The only issue is for some reason it doesn't remember which camera you choose for the Porsche. The truck and Nissan all go to the dash cam but the Porsche defaults to 3rd person every race. So I have to do this multi tasking nightmare of hitting the gas then pressing the clutch to upshift all while looking out for the cars ahead of me while cycling through 3 other camera views. It puts me at such a disadvantage at the start of the race.

TMWNN35

I have 6 month old i5/1070 rig that destroys everything I've thrown at it EXCEPT for this demo and also FH3.

Says I'm getting 100 fps+ at 1080p but it feels like 20-40fps, with a bunch of stuttering.

I cant be bothered fucking around with settings to get it to work like it should. I just played FH3 on the xbone and i'll skip Forza 7.

ss_lemonade

The option doesn’t show up unless you're on fairly current drivers. Need to enable HDR in Windows first.
Is it not possible to enable HDR on windows while in 4k? The option is stuck on off for me. I can only toggle it to on at a lower resolution like 1080p.

Also, I can't seem to run the demo anymore. Once I hit A on the title screen, the music stops for a few seconds then the game just closes. It was working fine yesterday.

eso76

Surprised so many are having performance issues.
Runs pretty much flawlessly even on my laptop (i7 6700hq, 16GB, 960M, installed on SSD).

spuckthew

YQVhSBh.gif

Yeah, I'm definitely a bonnet cam guy because cockpit cam feels too cramped without a surround setup or VR, but I tried the dash cam and could see myself using it. At least in iRacing you can hide the driver arms and in-game wheel, but obviously Forza doesn't facilitate that (well, it sort of does with the dash cam I suppose).

Hahahahahahaha....nvidia you fucking morons. Installed the new driver, supposedly for Forza 7 and... HDR no longer works. Hahahahaha. Absolutely fucking cretinous.

Fishook

Was impressed by the demo on PC, and I am digging the cockpit cam, FH3 has been a blessing for me a pc owner, who just wants a race loads of different cars/tracks without messing around in settings to much as I am purely focus on the single player stuff. Without the need for a wheel.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
It doesn't.

Does for me. No more freezes whatsoever. Racing feels like a solid 60fps start to finish. There is a significant difference. I wasn't going to buy it but I think I will now.

There is still stuttering in the menus but I can deal with that as long as driving performs well and now it does thanks to these new drivers.

Hi there,

Are you able to PM me a DxDiag and what other processes you are running so we can take a closer look.

These latest drivers seem to have completely got rid of the freezing I was getting. Feels great now! Thanks for offering help :)

After playing both FH3 and this game's demo, I'm kind of torn between what to buy, to be honest. It feels like FM7 might have more replay value down the road, to be honest...

Haven't felt so much fun playing a racing game as of late, really.

If anyone's asking for performance impressions on my i5-4590 and an overclocked GTX 970, I could manage mostly 60 (apparently the engine still stalls for a second on occasion sometimes during races, which does bother me slightly, maybe it'll get fixed after patching) with all settings set to High, 4x MSAA, 16x AF, with a display resolution of 1920x1080 and a resolution scale of 150% (so 2880x1620).

175% and 200% resulted in a crash-prone game with missing objects, so... yeah. Didn't want to reduce details under High if I could, and I'd still like to take advantage of some downscaling benefits. The game's a total beauty to play, either way, and it controls very well even on a keyboard. I feel like I really should buy an Xbox One S controller, though.

(Am I on Xbone X settings?)

Reverted to 385.41 and HDR works in the demo. HDR is a constant nightmare on PC. I'll be amazed if it works out-the-box when Destiny 2 launches.
Anyway, regarding the Porsche. It took me a few goes but now with a controller (with the dead zone altered to be smaller than default) and with assists off I can win in the Porsche. With ASM and TCS it's piss easy. I even tried with Simulation steering. With ASM and TCS it's doable but very tricky.

Just to see what would happen I tried 4K@200% res scale and 8xMSAA. Well, I rarely hit 60fps (usually 50-ish) and there wasn't enough GPU memory as parts of the track and environment would disappear. Also a lot of micro stutter. So no, I won't try that. I did find that 8xMSAA and 4K@100% res was pretty good for the menu/race selection. Much less slow down and general jerkiness than 200% res scale.

Apart from having to alt+enter at the Turn 10 logo to avoid CtDing, the sometimes long load times (maybe only in this demo I hope) and the nvidia driver debacle (not Turn 10's fault) and the lack of FFB (totally Turn 10's fault) I'd say I'm pretty set for the game when it arrives next week.

Mascot

Anyway, regarding the Porsche. It took me a few goes but now with a controller (with the dead zone altered to be smaller than default) and with assists off I can win in the Porsche. With ASM and TCS it's piss easy. I even tried with Simulation steering. With ASM and TCS it's doable but very tricky.

I think I won in the Porsche on my second (or third?) attempt, all assists off. Winning wasn't the problem, it was controlling the car with any semblance of feel and feedback that I struggled with. It gave me memories of the worst slippy-slidey ice world FM5/6 car/track combos. It just felt like there was no friction between tyres and road. Adding assists helped with the feel, but not by much.

Anyway, Turn 10 are investigating the Porsche so it'll be interesting to see if they find anything wrong or if it really is as intended. Some people like it but personally I hope it's not indicative of general supercar handling in the game. I've always favoured grip tunes over drift.

YQVhSBh.gif

I can't decide if I like it or not, it was the same with Driveclub's same angle. I feel like I'm driving like a pensioner leaning way to much forward, BUT I like the more zoomed in view and less car interiors like the roof etc. taking up real estate on my screen.

I'd like a way to manually zoom in and out of an angle like in Project Cars personally.

Why are so many people overriding the dynamic settings? There really isn't any need or benefit. It might even be detrimental if you have a less powerful machine.

I think I won in the Porsche on my second (or third?) attempt, all assists off. Winning wasn't the problem, it was controlling the car with any semblance of feel and feedback that I struggled with. It gave me memories of the worst slippy-slidey ice world FM5/6 car/track combos. It just felt like there was no friction between tyres and road. Adding assists helped with the feel, but not by much.

Anyway, Turn 10 are investigating the Porsche so it'll be interesting to see if they find anything wrong or if it really is as intended. Some people like it but personally I hope it's not indicative of general supercar handling in the game. I've always favoured grip tunes over drift.
Oh yes, there's 0 feel in any of the cars (racing cars a bit better but still not good). Feedback from the road is 0. I mean I can feel the brakes lock, I can feel the tires lose grip, but I can't feel the suspension at all and nothing from the road like bumps. And I can't say I slid around too much with the Porsche. Changing the deadzone on the controller is what fixed it for me.

the windows store is absolute garbage not only is it dog slow my download errored out and i had to start to start it off from the start i know alot of people dont like steam but atleast it downloads fast and if somthing happens you tend not to have to start from the beginning

might try again to download this tonight

Seems like new driver from amd cost me some performance...
Have a rx480 4gb on 1400mhz. And could run maxed out on 1440p with 8xmsaa and benchmark would say 60fps average. Now its much lower.. and now have to use 1920x1200 with 130% resolution scale....
And somehow it still drops fps in the dubai race with all the sand blowing across the road... That didn't happen with previous driver...
Weird.. and kinda sucks..

Also about the porsche, i get an 2:39 second lap with it on controller.
If you take time to learn the way it needs to be driven its really good to manage it.
Just never release the gas in a corner. And dont brake to hard in corners. Make sure its as straight as you can when braking.
Also use the accelerator to steer the car. Its understeers quickly. So punch it and the rear will break out. Control this and you can handle it.

Also i use normal steering on controller because simulation steering is way to exaggerated and doenst feel good.

Paragon

Do you think they turned the camera shake up to 11 so that people wouldn't notice the stuttering?
Even with it turned "off" it's really bad, but people are posting "60 FPS" footage in this topic which is full of stuttering and they don't seem to notice, so I wonder if that's why.

Framerate is high, but performance is shit.
It has the same CPU optimization problems of Apex and pre-patch FH3; most of the workload is only being placed on two threads.

I don't understand how they can have this problem for the third time now - even after having largely fixed it in Horizon 3 after several patches, and despite somehow getting the game to run at 60 FPS on the Xbox with its low-power Jaguar cores.
Do they have a different team handling the PC version of the game or something?

Well whatever the reason for it is, I've found a solution that fixes 90% of the stuttering on my system.
"Disabling Core0" does nothing to fix the problem for me. I suspect that's for 4c/4t systems that are having issues with the game stalling other important system processes because the load is so high.
I noticed that happening in some recent games on my system with an i5-2500K at 4.5GHz, where even the mouse input could be interrupted by high CPU usage in games like Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

This is what CPU usage is like on my system with an R7-1700X at 3.9GHz after doing a couple of laps in the Nissan event:
You can clearly see that the game is only stressing two of the CPU cores.
I did not bother to close everything else running on the system so not all of the remaining CPU usage is Forza, but it doesn't impact these results.

This is what CPU usage is like after the same race with Windows 10 CU's Game Mode enabled:
This is the opposite of what it's supposed to do.
Instead of moving system processes to the first 25% of the CPU and giving the game exclusive access to the remaining 75%, this ends up moving most of the game's workload onto the first four cores and ends up causing significantly worse stuttering problems for the game.

And this is what it's like if I enable Game Mode, but then set the affinity to disable the game on the first 25% of the CPU. (in my case, the first four cores)
CPU usage is now spread out far more evenly across all the available cores, and you can see that real cores are being prioritized over 'virtual' cores.
Now the polling rate was set quite low for this, so it doesn't catch the times that one or two of the cores would still hit 100% usage briefly and the game would stutter, so it's not running perfectly. However it is a significant improvement in smoothness.
The game goes from being completely unplayable with frequent and long pauses/hitches in gameplay, to having only a handful of brief stutters per lap.

This is still not how it should be performing when the game is locked to 60 FPS on the Xbox with a significantly weaker CPU, and I wouldn't even consider buying the game unless they fix this, but if you really want to play it and it's been a bad experience for you, this will hopefully help.
I don't know how much it will do for people that have a 4c/4t system, but it's worth trying.

There's no difference between running in a window or fullscreen with UWP games. Fullscreen is just a monitor sized window with no borders there.
Fullscreen UWP applications can bypass the compositor, allowing you to disable V-Sync, while windows cannot.
With the Creators Update, Microsoft also added support for this mode to many older games as well. I hope they can make this universal at some point, as it gives you the benefits of both fullscreen and borderless mode.

Forza 7 doesn't seem to work with windowed-mode G-Sync, only fullscreen mode, and only with V-Sync disabled.
Since the game has no option to disable V-Sync with the Dynamic option, you have to cap it to 60 FPS to use G-Sync.
The Dynamic option runs locked at 30 FPS for me anyway, for some reason. (100Hz display)

I've never been able to get G-sync to work for UWP titles. The G-sync FPS counter remains locked at 144Hz in both Horizons 3 and Forza 7.
It doesn't work for me in Apex, but should work for Horizon 3 and Forza 7.
You need to be playing fullscreen with V-Sync disabled in the games.

Ironic thing is, I've never noticed any screen tearing in Horizons or Forza.
V-Sync will eliminate screen tearing too. You don't need a G-Sync display for that.
G-Sync eliminates screen tearing without adding latency.

Effect

Kept settings on dynamic and overall it's been fine. Haven't noticed any slow down, etc in the race. Things feel choppy in the menus though. What I don't like is the AI and that's pissing me off something fierce. It's like I don't exist to the game while playing. The game AI is clearly aware of itself and the other cars. Yet I might as well not be there based on how it treats me. It's been a while since I played Forza 6 Apex but I don't remember that. If I just tap the break they ram into me. I can be along side someone making my turn and they'll just ram me into the wall or off the track because they don't acknowledge my presence. Every single turn is like that if they're close to me.

I don't care for how the first car, the Porsche I think, drives at all. It feels like it doesn't want to brake when I hit the brake. The whole race things didn't feel responsive to me. I wonder if it's because I'm using an xbox 360 controller. However I had no issues with the third one car though and there is a lot of weather effects at play in that race. Didn't bother with the truck.

I don't want to buy Project Cars 2 but I'm thinking I might have to. While Forza 7 looks really nice I had to many issues in this demo. Granted it's a small demo but it's what they've been using all this time to show off the game and it didn't leave a great or good impression.

Have you tried adjusting your wheel settings? Adding those assist made it extremely easy to catch the car.

Gestault

If you treat the Porsche as a drift car it's actually quite fun!

I've seen some videos that show this, it's pretty cool (I say this as someone who takes issue with the default setup/tune).

Re: a few people talking about adding TCS or STS to try to account for it in normal driving, it was odd: I've ended up getting more of a handle on things without *any* assists, even though I'd normally drive something that fast with TCS.

Do you think they turned the camera shake up to 11 so that people wouldn't notice the stuttering?
Even with it turned "off" it's really bad, but people are posting "60 FPS" footage in this topic which is full of stuttering and they don't seem to notice, so I wonder if that's why.

It has the same CPU optimization problems of Apex and pre-patch FH3; most of the workload is only being placed on two threads.

I don't understand how they can have this problem for the third time now - even after having largely fixed it in Horizon 3 after several patches, and despite somehow getting the game to run at 60 FPS on the Xbox with its low-power Jaguar cores.

Well whatever the reason for it is, I've found a solution that fixes 90% of the stuttering on my system.
"Disabling Core0" does nothing to fix the problem for me. I suspect that's for 4c/4t systems that are having issues with the game stalling other important system processes because the load is so high.
I noticed that happening in some recent games on my system with an i5-2500K at 4.5GHz, where even the mouse input could be interrupted by high CPU usage in games like Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

This is what CPU usage is like on my system with an R7-1700X at 3.9GHz after doing a couple of laps in the Nissan event:

You can clearly see that the game is only stressing two of the CPU cores.
I did not bother to close everything else running on the system so not all of the remaining CPU usage is Forza, but it doesn't impact these results.

This is what CPU usage is like after the same race with Windows 10 CU's Game Mode enabled:

This is the opposite of what it's supposed to do.
Instead of moving system processes to the first 25% of the CPU and giving the game exclusive access to the remaining 75%, this ends up moving most of the game's workload onto the first four cores and ends up causing significantly worse stuttering problems for the game.

And this is what it's like if I enable Game Mode, but then set the affinity to disable the game on the first 25% of the CPU. (in my case, the first four cores)

CPU usage is now spread out far more evenly across all the available cores, and you can see that real cores are being prioritized over 'virtual' cores.
Now the polling rate was set quite low for this, so it doesn't catch the times that one or two of the cores would still hit 100% usage briefly and the game would stutter, so it's not running perfectly. However it is a significant improvement in smoothness.
The game goes from being completely unplayable with frequent and long pauses/hitches in gameplay, to having only a handful of brief stutters per lap.

This is still not how it should be performing when the game is locked to 60 FPS on the Xbox with a significantly weaker CPU, and I wouldn't even consider buying the game unless they fix this, but if you really want to play it and it's been a bad experience for you, this will hopefully help.
I don't know how much it will do for people that only have a 4c/4t system, but it's worth trying.

Fullscreen UWP applications can bypass the compositor, allowing you to disable V-Sync, while windows cannot.
With the Creators Update, Microsoft also added support for this mode to many older games as well. I hope they can make this universal at some point, as it gives you the benefits of both fullscreen and borderless mode.

Forza 7 doesn't seem to work with windowed-mode G-Sync, only fullscreen mode, and only with V-Sync disabled.
Since the game has no option to disable V-Sync with the Dynamic option, you have to cap it to 60 FPS to use G-Sync.
The Dynamic option runs locked at 30 FPS for me anyway, for some reason. (100Hz display)

It doesn't work for me in Apex, but should work for Horizon 3 and Forza 7.
You need to be playing fullscreen with V-Sync disabled in the games.

V-Sync will eliminate screen tearing too. You don't need a G-Sync display for that.
G-Sync eliminates screen tearing without adding latency.

I had stutters in Apex and FH3, but I don't have them in FM7. I haven't analyzed CPU graphs much, but I don't remember seeing any one core pegged at 100% like I did see with Apex/FH3.

I'm actually blown away with performance in FM7. I "only" have 980Ti and I can play the demo at 60FPS all maxed out at 1080p with 200% scaling (effectively downsampling from 4K) and with 4xMSAA enabled on top of that. I think this is the best performing graphically intensive AAA game for me this year.

Smax

Long time FM fan here, been playing since the very first one on Xbox. No offense to anybody, but having to wade through all these posts about graphics cards/drivers, fps performance for whatever pc setup and bitching about the Windows store is really annoying.
Is there a chance we can have a thread where we can talk about the game itself and how it plays/feels compared to previous entries?

MaLDo

I had stutters in Apex and FH3, but I don't have them in FM7. I haven't analyzed CPU graphs much, but I don't remember seeing any one core pegged at 100% like I did see with Apex/FH3.

I'm actually blown away with performance in FM7. I "only" have 980Ti and I can play the demo at 60FPS all maxed out at 1080p with 200% scaling (effectively downsampling from 4K) and with 4xMSAA enabled on top of that. I think this is the best performing graphically intensive AAA game for me this year.

But you can't compare 1:1 the settings in FM7 with other games because resolution doesn't work the same way. Neither MSAA. I mean, even at 4K with MSAA FM7 shows aliasing in a few elements, what means the game is not full rendered at that resolution.

Skyr

Long time FM fan here, been playing since the very first one on Xbox. No offense to anybody, but having to wade through all these posts about graphics cards/drivers, fps performance for whatever pc setup and bitching about the Windows store is really annoying.
Is there a chance we can have a thread where we can talk about the game itself and how it plays/feels compared to previous entries?

There will be a dedicated PC performance thread with the release of the ultimate edition next friday.
I don't think it makes sense to split the threads just for the demo.

T Ghost

This. The thread is 98% about pc settings and how to run the game on a PC, 2% about the game. We need a separated thread for PC settings only.

There will be a dedicated PC performance thread with the release of the ultimate edition next friday.
I don't think it makes sense to split the threads just for the demo.

Makes sense, but I would like to discuss the demo and it is impossible to do in this topic due to PC setting extreme dominance. Absolutely nothing wrong with PC users discussing settings. Just that for those of us looking to just discuss the demo, the game, finding a post that is not about PC settings is close to impossible.

Paragon

It depends on your CPU, but I would expect to see two cores being worked much harder than the rest. Depending on clockspeed/IPC, they may not be hitting 100% though.
A CPU with fast enough per-core performance can probably brute force the game into running at 60 FPS, but that should not be necessary since it manages to run at 60 on the Xbox.
GPU requirements don't seem particularly high, it's the CPU usage which is causing problems.

Skyr

I agree. I can't believe we are going all over this again after horizon 3.

For me the microstuttering is very noticeable. When the stuttering appears I'm reading out just a 1fps drop with MSI Afterburner (60 to 59 or 72->71)
But thats not your usual fps drop that is caused by hardware limitations. It's clearly related to optimization.

I will definitely wait to buy the game until this is fixed.

Mascot

Have you tried adjusting your wheel settings? Adding those assist made it extremely easy to catch the car.

Not adjusted the wheel yet. Might try that. I could drive quickly in the Porsche, it just felt like a boat and wasn't talking to me at all.

Ooh look - a talking boat!

Luckydog

You must be mis-reading the posts. I have read repeatedly in Xbox threads that having an Xbox is useless now because PC gaming is error free, plug and play like a console, is really the master race expierience......
/s

Top Bottom