• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport |OT| Step on the GaaS

cormack12

Gold Member
iU5aMVm.jpg

2xsqgoS.jpg

jiSYIJD.jpg

M1lsuuH.jpg

E86C6pD.jpg

uPkn5zm.jpg

ISOUD7x.jpg

F9e8ZKn.jpg

oHinX5u.png

TransTrender

Gold Member
Does this have an in game store or anything like that?
Searching isn't helping because the name is ubiquitous.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Bring on the 10th. Let's see all those assist options so I can play it like the casual that I am and not have to worry about fuel weight and such :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Murdoch

This game has scratched an itch I've not had for a long while. The online racing element is definitely the best in the series and the single player aspect seems like a warm up to get you to that stage

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Bring on the 10th. Let's see all those assist options so I can play it like the casual that I am and not have to worry about fuel weight and such :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Not to be that guy, but GT7 really stepped up their assists game. It can pretty much play itself. My 4 year old only has to hold down the gas and steer. The game takes care of the rest. She’s having a blast with it. Same with Horizon 5.

adamsapple

Not to be that guy, but GT7 really stepped up their assists game. It can pretty much play itself. My 4 year old only has to hold down the gas and steer. The game takes care of the rest. She’s having a blast with it. Same with Horizon 5.

I appreciate the technical specificity these sim racers have but yeah getting into all those weeds is not for me. Assists are welcome.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I appreciate the technical specificity these sim racers have but yeah getting into all those weeds is not for me. Assists are welcome.
Yup. Race wheels and shit and for me. Especially when I love playing these games on my phone. GT7 remote play is fantastic. I’m sure FM will be too.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Just saw this…

I have to be honest.. This new Forza Motorsport does not sit right with me at all.

Yes, The physics overhaul, online multiplayer and the tracks are the best they've ever been (Brilliant)
The scale of weather variants mixed with 24hr day cycles is also masterfully done... But...

This has to be said..
1: The new upgrade system which I liked at first has very quickly turned into the most tedious Racing-Game mechanic I have ever seen.
If I wanted to apply a Widebody kit to every car that has one it would take me 250+ Hours of racing.
In other words, that would be 3675 Laps of the longest race in the game!!!
The upgrade system HAS TO BE CHANGED!!

2: If you spend 3-4 hours reaching lvl 50 in 1 car but you want to buy the same car again (Let's say you want to build a drift car this time) you have to start from scratch again at lvl 0.
A very simple fix for this would be to level up the Manufacturer and not the individual cars instead.
Very similar to how manufacturer affinity levels worked in much older Forza Motorsport Titles.

3: In the Forza Motorsport Official trailer (Xbox Bethesda Showcase) They showcased a Formula Drift Nissan 370Z and Toyota Supra - No Drift cars are present in the game. (Granted this is a personal gripe of mine but I hate misleading trailers like this)

4: The Vinyl editor is the worst it's ever been. The lighting is terrible and despite them giving you the option to change how the lighting is.. They haven't actually included any other lighting options (huh?)
Not to mention the fact it crashes your game every other minute.
The painting community is rightfully pissed off.

5: The Replay Mode is the worst it's ever been.
It is completely outdated and most of the time the cars are flying around in space. (Fun fact that isn't fun - The Replay system hasn't once changed since Forza Motorsport 2 back in 2007)

6: Photomode is the worst it's ever been.. Which was a kick in the teeth considering how many brilliant improvments Forza Horizon 5 have added to their Photomode. The Virtual Photogrpaphy space is an every growing free socialmedia advertisement for your game.
Why would you not want to improve this??

7: The single player career features ZERO events based around Motorsport cars. I have no clue why this wasn't featured at launch with it being a Motorsport title.
All 7 Previous Motorsport games had this going as far as adding hundreds of individual Career paths.

8: Why do the cars and overall Lighting look worse then previous Motorpsport Titles. It might seem like I'm talking rubbish, but they looked better in FM5 and that released 10 years ago.

9: So So So much more....

I'm one of the biggest Fans of the Forza franchise in the world, I've built my entire reputation and career around Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon so please know I speak from a very passionate POV who only wants to see Forza strive and move forward.
The new Forza Motorsport isn't it.. Maybe Forza Horizon 5 has spoiled me to much, I don't know.

Built from the ground up.. You can tell. Sorry.

This guy is a huge fan of the IP.
How can they mess it up this badly ??
Seems like an insane time sinker.

Elysium44

Banned
Just saw this…

This guy is a huge fan of the IP.
How can they mess it up this badly ??
Seems like an insane time sinker.

Wow he is not happy at all. I'm surprised because I thought he would always praise a Forza game. His criticisms are right and I like that he can see, like I have, that the 2013 game Forza Motorsport 5 is in some respects just as good or better than the 2023 game. It may sound stupid to say it, but it's really true. And the sheer laziness of Turn 10 to not have fixed or improved so many basic things still, is inexcusable. Well done to him for saying all that.

nikos

Joining in the track in multiplayer dropped my safety rating from S to A.

On 3-4 occasions, the game either spawned me into somebody already on track or vice versa, resulting in a massive collision.

No clue why we can't just start from the pit and pull out manually. Ghosting in and out is a horrible idea, especially when it doesn't work.

Hopefully getting back to S isn't difficult. I've only done a few races so far.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Wheels feel great in this.

So is controller when you turn off assists and set steering to simulation. For some reason game recommends not to do it if you're on a controller. I find it very strange, game feels so much better that way.

As much as I hate this game for being a half-assed, unfinished effort, I can't say that I'm not enjoying myself when I'm just driving around. It's fun.

But yeah, the upgrade system is really, really bad. You pick a car, finish a cup and it won't even be leveled up enough to install a custom body kit. It's retarded, it needs to go.

clarky

Gold Member
But yeah, the upgrade system is really, really bad. You pick a car, finish a cup and it won't even be leveled up enough to install a custom body kit. It's retarded, it needs to go.
Yup this part makes no sense what so ever. I start to level up a car but finish the series at around level 30 ish. the only way i can take it further is by re-runing the series as there are no other events for that car. Its like they chopped out 70% of the builders cup.

Unless im missing something of course. Are there more events other than those that are visible in the menu's that maybe become available later on?

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I was thinking for example, if a bought a big turbo for a VW Golf I could put that on another VW or at least buy another turbo for a VW. Not unlock the whole thing again. Crazy.

Anyway I'm enjoying the game, I hated the intro and first Builders cup the graphics don't look good in those but improved quite a lot after that. Strange decision really. You'd think they would want to impress graphically straight away.

Elysium44

Banned
Just saw this thread on the Forza forums, apparently Spa is incorrectly modelled, but more to the point, it looks graphically basic.

Just saw this thread on the Forza forums, apparently Spa is incorrectly modelled, but more to the point, it looks graphically basic.

From that thread:

it was reused from the ground up.

lol

DanielG165

Don Joewon Song is about as passionate as they come in terms of the Forza franchise, so his criticisms come from a place of genuine love and care for the IP. I’m still looking forward to playing the game come Tuesday, but I really, really don’t understand why they didn’t just make the upgrade system manufacture affinity based. If I race and drive a Camaro, then that should count towards gaining points for the overall manufacturer; that’s how it used to work. I shouldn’t have to then turn around and drive ANOTHER Camaro of the same model, and spend another 2-3 hours leveling it up if I want a car with a different build.

Just simply let me race and grind for credits so I can use said in-game currency to buy the upgrades myself, not lock it behind a nonsensical leveling system for the “carPG” mechanic. I mean heck, if you want the game to last long, then make it to where you aren’t being thrown dozens of credits and cars. Let players work for those things naturally, not artificially locking it away and having them grind for an aftermarket air intake.

I know WHY Turn 10 did this, in order to keep players grinding away at the game, and in theory, keep their player base sustained for a long time… But I also don’t know why they did this, either. I love Forza, always have, but this upgrade system just is not it. I’m still going to play it, as it’s the only racing game where I can easily drive the likes of the Camaro ZL1 1LE, and C8 Z06, two of my favorite cars, on track… But they need to change that leveling system, significantly.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I bet if they didn’t have the unskippable cutscenes and tutorials it would have got 90s across the board. Those things really sour the start of the game.😒

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
the game plays incredibly well after setting the controller settings, i like the new physics and the feeling on controller. Also the sounds are really really good, the engines now have deep detailed gritty sounds. And the way the sounds are bouncing in the environment is just perfect. Whenever you go closer to a object/car/wall you here the precise sound echo.

adamsapple

the game plays incredibly well after setting the controller settings, i like the new physics and the feeling on controller. Also the sounds are really really good, the engines now have deep detailed gritty sounds. And the way the sounds are bouncing in the environment is just perfect. Whenever you go closer to a object/car/wall you here the precise sound echo.

Any immediate settings you would recommend first timers look into?

Zuzu

With so many people complaining about the upgrade system hopefully they will change it; but it may take a few months to get an update that retools the system.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I got the premium add on as I wanted the car pack / pass and VIP genuinely forgotten about being able to play it early 😂😂

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I saw the backlash to the upgrade system coming from a mile away. Locking upgrades behind leveling up cars is a type of level gating that everyone hates in regular video games. If i have the money or xp, let me upgrade any car i want. If I’m sitting there hoarding money but can’t use it because of level gating, i am not going to feel rewarded.

It’s a nice idea on paper but perhaps they could’ve added some Diablo style bonus leveling systems that let you push the car’s speed, breaks, acceleration etc by a few points per XP level as a reward for grinding it out.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

I feel for pc folks with performance issues, but it looks and plays really well on console, series X.

After playing for a bit, Im getting used to the practise runs, theyre basically a part of the RPG system that you cant just opt out of. And I think its a bold attempt to inject some thought into the whole uograde process and doing tours. Thats where you get XP to upgrade your car. I just think you should be able to leave the track once you hit the lap timer, and not have to do all laps after that.

But free play is still there and without the rpg aspect.

They desperately need to rethink the grindy upgrade system. At the very least make it so that if I own 3 MK1 GTIs and want to set them all up differently I don't have to grind each one to do so.

I have other issues with the game's current state but I really can't comment until I've played it myself.

Outlier

Played a BIT more and changed graphic settings:

60 FPS V-sync
FSR - Quality
Dynamic Render Quality - Ultra
Motion Blur - Low
Everything else - Max EXCEPT...
Ray Tracing - OFF, because it has very low resolution reflections and makes the cars look NASTY (at least outside of racing). Don't know if it's any better on Nvidia cards, but it's ugly on AMD.
Rasterized reflections are MUCH sharper.

HOWEVER

The game has crashed for the 9th time (within 7 hours) and will probably continue to do so,. I'm concluding the PC version of the game is currently broken.
I'm assuming Turn 10 will do their job and "fix" the game, but for now this game is a DON'T BUY, from me. Never mind the pitiful career mode. They didn't really try.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

Sounds incredible, on my hifi and through dolby for headphones.

Reactions: Isa

LostDonkey

What going on with replays on series X?

Just had a great online race, saved the replay so I could watch it back, only all the cars just remain sat on the grid......FOREVER!

BUT- If I hit rewind a bunch of times it's makes the cars all glitch out and start jumping up and down and through the track and you can even get lift off and go to fucking space. LITERALLY SPACE IM NOT EVEN JOKING.

I can make every car in the grid float up all the way as high as you can go until the ground starts glitching a load of black textures lol wtf

Now if the post launch support is good and they get rid of all the qol bugs and add like 10 12 tracks I think it will be a 90 + game what we have here as a start is good enough for a gaas game

LostDonkey

The penalty system needs reworking. No way should I get a 3 second penalty when a car has come across the grass to side swipe me off the track and then it says "Avoidable collision".

I only bought to play online and I think I'm gonna shelve it until that shit is fixed.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
They desperately need to rethink the grindy upgrade system. At the very least make it so that if I own 3 MK1 GTIs and want to set them all up differently I don't have to grind each one to do so.

I have other issues with the game's current state but I really can't comment until I've played it myself.

If they want to keep this shit in, at least make it on manufacturer level and not individual car. What the hell were they thinking?

Edit: which is how it was in FM4. But there on top of that you could buy upgrades with money and affiliation gave you a discount. It was an amazing system and I was really feeling like I was building my car and getting attached to it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom