• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport (XSX) vs Gran Turismo 7 (PS5) Graphics Comparison (Up: Video in OP replaced as IGN one was not fit for purpose)

Which is better?

• Forza Motorsport(2023)

Votes: 170 24.1%
  • Gran Turismo 7

Votes: 404 57.2%
  • Mario Kart 8DX

Votes: 132 18.7%

• Total voters

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Just a couple random typical boring shots as I was playing Forza last night, nothing special going on. But damn, the game looks and feels so good in gameplay.

53344639414_156d9a3cd9_o.png

53344765195_0779212361_o.png

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Can you share your settings please, i am on a 4090 and 5800x, doesn't stop stuttering.

There you go, 2 benchmarks with 0 stutter count. This is absolutely worse case scenario as benchmark is run with 23 AI cars in view and in massive rain. Game runs even better during normal play (+ 10/15 FPS). System spec and settings are listed.

This is at 150% resolution, so 6k and max settings:

a4cSV0g.png

And this is at native 4k with DLAA (not DLSS) and max settings:

BsoY9xZ.png

Since the new patch they unlocked better RT on PC and fixed some bugs and game seriously looks amazing:

9EDAo2d.jpg

f4hjAxj.jpg

H7UR9R6.jpg

4eqfzyx.jpg

Elysium44

Banned
There you go, 2 benchmarks with 0 stutter count. This is absolutely worse case scenario as benchmark is run with 23 AI cars in view and in massive rain. Game runs even better during normal play (+ 10/15 FPS). System spec and settings are listed.

Unless your system is different to mine then the benchmark is certainly not the worst case scenario. I had the benchmark running with zero stutters counted but it still stuttered in-game at times. Likewise I could get the minimum framerate to 60+ in the benchmark but observed it diving well below that sometimes.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Unless your system is different to mine then the benchmark is certainly not the worst case scenario. I had the benchmark running with zero stutters counted but it still stuttered in-game at times. Likewise I could get the minimum framerate to 60+ in the benchmark but observed it diving well below that sometimes.

Well, every system is different. What’s your CPU/GPU? What Windows version are you using? Steam or Microsoft store? SSD or NVMe?

I’m on Win 11 and Steam. Gen 4 NVMe. The only stutters you can see are in these short cinematics when game is loading. During gameplay it is butter.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
Well, every system is different. What’s your CPU/GPU? What Windows version are you using? Steam or Microsoft store? SSD or NVMe?

I’m on Win 11 and Steam. Gen 4 NVMe. The only stutters you can see are in these short cinematics when game is loading. During gameplay it is butter.

My specs are moot because it's all relative. If I adjust it to be stutter free and 60+ in the benchmark then you would expect it to do that during the game too. The benchmark could do with being more demanding, perhaps they could have picked a track with a bigger draw distance or something.

My specs are i5-10600, 32GB DDR4-3600, RTX 3060 12GB, Windows 10, game installed on 980 Pro NVMe. Microsoft Store version. (Playing at 1080p.)

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The benchmark could do with being more demanding, perhaps they could have picked a track with a bigger draw distance or something.

Benchmarks in this game is absolute hell scenario, as I've mentioned before. 23 AI cars in view (you start from 24), night time with loads of dynamic lights and storm weather. It doesn't get more demanding than that.

My specs are i5-10600, 32GB DDR4-3600, RTX 3060 12GB, Windows 10, game installed on 980 Pro NVMe. Microsoft Store version. (Playing at 1080p.)

Yeah, we're not comparing apples to apples. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft Store version runs worse and/or is busted. It's Microsoft after all.

Elysium44

Banned
Benchmarks in this game is absolute hell scenario, as I've mentioned before. 23 AI cars in view (you start from 24), night time with loads of dynamic lights and storm weather. It doesn't get more demanding than that.

Yeah, we're not comparing apples to apples. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft Store version runs worse and/or is busted. It's Microsoft after all.

You don't seem to understand, even though I explained it clearly enough. Oh well.

TheShocker

Is this true? 🤔

No it’s absolutely not true. I hadn’t played since the last update and after reading this, I fired FM up. I thought it looked great from the drop on XSX 4k OLED. It looks exactly the same.

SimTourist

May be because both these games are disappointing and jump this gen is pretty underwhelming.

Yas marina is not in GT7 but in comparison with F1 23

What more can they do? This is what those tracks look like in real life. It's never gonna be as impressive as locations in Horizon due to the nature of it. It's like stadiums in Fifa, not much you can do aside from better crowds in the background. They're hitting the budget limits considering the fairly small playerbase, same story as fighting games, 2 characters and a small arena should allow for crazy graphics bordering on CGI, but we aren't seeing that due to budget limits.

I need to say my obligatory "I'm so incredibly disappointed with Forza 8's graphics on Series X" opinion again .

Seriously, I'm so disappointed by the visuals after what was basically promised to us by the very lengthy reveal presentation and considering this game is Series X next gen exclusive AND how it doesn't look much better than Cross gen GT7 which came out two years earlier!

Pathetic really.

Neo_game

What more can they do? This is what those tracks look like in real life. It's never gonna be as impressive as locations in Horizon due to the nature of it. It's like stadiums in Fifa, not much you can do aside from better crowds in the background. They're hitting the budget limits considering the fairly small playerbase, same story as fighting games, 2 characters and a small arena should allow for crazy graphics bordering on CGI, but we aren't seeing that due to budget limits.

Wow, you mean to say we have reached the stage of diminishing return ? I hope not. I want to see a nice upgrade in asset quality. If they are going to do copy, paste they need to redo the textures which is more like PS4 standard IMO.

SimTourist

Wow, you mean to say we have reached the stage of diminishing return ? I hope not. I want to see a nice upgrade in asset quality. If they are going to do copy, paste they need to redo the textures which is more like PS4 standard IMO.

It's not practical to remake all the assets all the time when a single track takes 1-2 years to make, I'd rather have more tracks at this quality than to drop down to 10-15 tracks at next-gen quality and wait until they make more. I'm personally tired of that waiting loop.

Magik85

Somehow he managed to make both games look like shit. Good job.
I know right?
Dude sets dullest time if day, and often take pictures of other side of the map with 50x zoom (means no higher LODs are loaded).
Plus i highly doubt its XSX version because textures there are super muddy and lack tons of details. Comparing same scenes from his video and the game itself is literally night and day difference:

screenshot_20231125-1kddkw.jpg

91ca7a61-16b0-448a-afs1dlv.png

screenshot_20231125-1qkelp.jpg

a0ab31ec-e105-4438-afcpehd.png

screenshot_20231125-1hceyw.jpg

d723ce01-076b-44de-a05rco4.png

I think we can all agree that GT has the best photomode and replays. That's different to comparing the actual games though.
I also have direct gameplay from this same track, if anything it looks even better since you can see sparks flying from other cars going down slopes, hard breaklights etc. In no realm does Forza look better, not even close and this is YT compression compared to the real 4K video.

EDIT: Here is the actual gameplay. Yes you dont have the cinematic shots but the level of detail, lighting, where night actually looks like night and you cant see shit, stars in the sky slowly dissapearing as the day transition happens, haze showing up at one lower end of the track which is the biggest dip in the whole course etc. These are things I havent experienced in Forza 8, it just felt like such a bland racer compared to GT.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I also have direct gameplay from this same track, if anything it looks even better since you can see sparks flying from other cars going down slopes, hard breaklights etc. In no realm does Forza look better, not even close and this is YT compression compared to the real 4K video.

EDIT: Here is the actual gameplay. Yes you dont have the cinematic shots but the level of detail, lighting, where night actually looks like night and you cant see shit, stars in the sky slowly dissapearing as the day transition happens, haze showing up at one lower end of the track which is the biggest dip in the whole course etc. These are things I havent experienced in Forza 8, it just felt like such a bland racer compared to GT.

Yeah that looks nice and they both can look nice and both can look bland but GT7 generally looks more bland and sterile to me.

blue velvet

Yeah that looks nice and they both can look nice and both can look bland but GT7 generally looks more bland and sterile to me.
Gran turismo always has that laid back feel and art style to it. From the menu, to the jazzy music, and gameplay. It was never about HELL YEAH DUDE BRO racing game. Kaz never into that in your face gameplay, same reason why he won't include that awful cum effect on camera during rain in his games. You can go back as far as GT3, their whole art direction has been consistent throughout.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Gran turismo always has that laid back feel and art style to it. From the menu, to the jazzy music, and gameplay. It was never about HELL YEAH DUDE BRO racing game. Kaz never into that in your face gameplay, same reason why he won't include that awful cum effect on camera during rain in his games. You can go back as far as GT3, their whole art direction has been consistent throughout.
I'm not on about the menu presentation at all and your "HELL YEAH BRO" is more NFS and don't like that myself. Can't stand the rain on the camera myself but I guess it's there for a bit of equality in MP games but they should at least give us the option to turn it off in single player.

Skifi28

Bought the PC version and boy is it rough, I see some screenshots here and I have no idea how it looks like that. DLSS appears broken and the image quality looks more like FSR2 performance with ghost trails everywhere than DLSS quality that I use. No grass anywhere, low res textures, cars changing color as you approach them etc. Feels lile my settings are stuck on low even though I've tried high and ultra with no difference. Framerate barely holds 60 despite all that, what a port!

Last edited:

blue velvet

I'm not on about the menu presentation at all and your "HELL YEAH BRO" is more NFS and don't like that myself. Can't stand the rain on the camera myself but I guess it's there for a bit of equality in MP games but they should at least give us the option to turn it off in single player.
I am merely responding to your bland and sterile comment. That sterile look has always been there with Gran Turismo, whether people find that as a downside is a matter of personal taste. Frankly, I like it, if you played GT and its license tests and missions, you'd know, having less distraction on the screen is much preferable so you could just focus on having a precise driving. GT ain't no Driveclub, Grid, or even Forza. It's more laid back than any other racing games.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Bought the PC version and boy is it rough, I see some screenshots here and I have no idea how it looks like that. DLSS appears broken and the image quality looks more like FSR2 performance with ghost trails everywhere than DLSS quality that I use. No grass anywhere, low res textures, cars changing color as you approach them etc. Feels lile my settings are stuck on low even though I've tried high and ultra with no difference. Framerate barely holds 60 despite all that, what a port!
DLSS isn't working properly and settings are a bit fucked up. DLSS fix coming in next week with hopefully other performance fixes.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I am merely responding to your bland and sterile comment. That sterile look has always been there with Gran Turismo, whether people find that as a downside is a matter of personal taste. Frankly, I like it, if you played GT and its license tests and missions, you'd know, having less distraction on the screen is much preferable so you could just focus on having a precise driving. GT ain't no Driveclub, Grid, or even Forza. It's more laid back than any other racing games.
Oh Forza is bland, you like looking at stars at night slowly disappearing, looking at haze etc but you like having no distractions (but don't notice the pop in) so you can focus on precise driving.

I do like those things except stars disappearing. But yeah I get you.

Senua

My game still doesn't think I have an RTX card and switches to FSR in the menus. Sometimes it shows dlss though but then it decides I'm not worthy of it

Wizz-Art

I still play Forza Motorsport on the XSX almost daily even after I bought a PS5 and GT7 a month or so ago, I don't understand anyone who says GT7 is on the level of FM with a controller. It just isn't, not even close. GT7 is a mediocre game in that regard, I might even prefer FM7 to it. FM genuinely feels so good to play that you forgive it's flaws, it's that good. Knowing it's GaaS I trust them to fix those flaws anyway.

You can talk about which one looks better and car models are better detailed in GT7 by far. Environments however look slightly better in FM7 and I prefer the lighting overall in FM over GT and the sound of the cars too. Talk about the racing itself, well no contest here. FM takes that!

Do I regret buying a PS5? Well if it would be just for GT7 yes, for sure. But since I skipped everything after the PS3 I have a lot of titles to catch up to so it definitely gets play since I bought it.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Me and a few friends all farted at the same time, and we agreed that mine was the best.

Oh yeah, did a committee of professionals darters get together and vote for you? They did for Forza. 😱

But seriously I came into this thread to ask if anyone else has this issue. The pc version of this game on the windows Xbox app looks horrible compared to playing it in my Xbox. Not sure what’s going on there. 🤔

Markio128

Oh yeah, did a committee of professionals darters get together and vote for you? They did for Forza. 😱

But seriously I came into this thread to ask if anyone else has this issue. The pc version of this game on the windows Xbox app looks horrible compared to playing it in my Xbox. Not sure what’s going on there. 🤔
If a committee of professional farters voted for Forza, then I suppose it makes sense, because it does have a whiff of turd about it.

Top Bottom