• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza now has 4 million MAU, Forza Horizon 3 sold 2.5 million copies

shandy706

we know GT Sports won't have the content of a regular GT

That's my point, the guy's post is silly. GT:S content wise is going to be nowhere near the current Forza games. It's going to be the FM: Apex/5 of the GT series. Sucks it's not a car collector/sim-light as I like it.

Then you include Forza Horizon games in the same conversation. I mean...technically Forza Horizon 3 has "unlimited tracks". You can go into a point to point race at any time against anyone anywhere in the game. There's hundreds of off-road scenerios in rain/snow/dessert/mud/etc conditions. There's hundreds of on road races/tracks in all conditions..etc. You can't include "track counts" and keep Forza Horizon 3 in the conversation.

Gestault

Just following along with the international championships they're doing alongside FM6 has me coming back to that game often enough, and that came out originally in what, 2015? Turn10's competition updates, some carried over from their Porsche/Nascar expansions and others made to flesh out the events themselves (but added to the main game) have been great late-date support.

I was running laps on VIR for more than an hour last night. They treat their users well.

BkIpqpz.gif

Also, this stupid shit is amazing:

9jwOgKI.gif

Rembrandt

Banned
Man this MAU thing feels like meme. Its almost like they are shamed by series performance coming of X360 and by putting and combining all series and platforms and people who played 5 min trying to grow number like a big thing.

Almost.

But that's not what it means at all. MAU are just as, if not more, important when it's all said and done. Devs aren't just focusing on frontloaded sales if they can instead retain a huge player base down the line that spends additonal money past the initial purchase.

The misunderstanding of MAUs are a meme tbh

peppers

Just following along with the international championships they're doing alongside FM6 has me coming back to that game often enough, and that came out originally in what, 2015? Turn10's competition updates, some carried over from their Porsche/Nascar expansions and others made to flesh out the events themselves (but added to the main game) have been great late-date support.

I was running laps on VIR for more than an hour last night. They treat their users well.

BkIpqpz.gif

Also, this stupid shit is amazing:

9jwOgKI.gif

Sorry if this is a stupid question but: the first gif is from a videogame?

Gestault

But that's not what it means at all. MAU are just as, if not more, important when it's all said and done. Devs aren't just focusing on frontloaded sales if they can instead retain a huge player base down the line that spends additonal money past the initial purchase.

So this may rub some people the wrong way, but I think the MAU tracking is a big part of what's keeping the publishing side and buyers on the same page (and the industry itself healthy) in the long-term, if my social circles are any indication. Backlogs are so common, and digital impulse sales/bundling so prominent that I'm positive the amount of "empty" info on buying habits has never been higher. No, playing habits aren't the same as sales, but I think seeing what players actually think is worth their time matters in the market in its current form.

Publishers need a sense of what players want (and what actually excites them), as opposed to what players are willing to buy impulsively as part of a downward min-max of price. Whenever a game sits unplayed, the creators have no idea how their next effort could better cater to what players want, because those buyers, despite having sent the sign they were willing to buy it, have no idea if they liked it.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but: the first gif is from a videogame?

That's me fudging a turn in Forza 6 on the Virginia track. Night races are fun, when they aren't a nightmare.

JqBGTl0.gif

Rembrandt

Banned
So this may rub some people the wrong way, but I think the MAU tracking is a big part of what's keeping the publishing side and buyers on the same page (and the industry itself healthy) in the long-term, if my social circles are any indication. Backlogs are so common, and digital impulse sales/bundling so prominent that I'm positive the amount of "empty" info on buying habits has never been higher. No, playing habits aren't the same as sales, but I think seeing what players actually think is worth their time matters in the market in its current form.

Publishers need a sense of what players want (and what actually excites them), as opposed to what players are willing to buy impulsively as part of a downward min-max of price. Whenever a game sits unplayed, the creators have no idea how their next effort could better cater to what players want, because those buyers, despite having sent the sign they were willing to buy it, have no idea if they liked it.

That's me fudging a turn in Forza 6 on the Virginia track. Night races are fun, when they aren't a nightmare.

JqBGTl0.gif

Great post. I think it does a good job of explaining why they track MAU and why we're starting to see more publishers track them. The rise of MAU is another step towards GaaS.

yyr

Why is that funny? If Scorpio is over twice as powerful as original XB1, why shouldn't that be possible?

Is the Xbox One not over twice as powerful as the Xbox 360?

I think the inferred argument is that the game still needs to actually run on the default Xbox One, so theoretically they could use that extra performance on Scorpio for framerate.

Being an open world game makes this extremely unlikely, as you can always easily push out the draw distance and do other things that will eat your performance, but it's not strictly impossible.

(I know about and own Forza Horizon 2 on 360 -- really fun game, I actually prefer it to the X1 version in many ways -- but that isn't the same game like a theoretical FH4 should be on all Xbox One hardware variants.)

Hux1ey

Banned
I think the inferred argument is that the game still needs to actually run on the default Xbox One, so theoretically they could use that extra performance on Scorpio for framerate.

Being an open world game makes this extremely unlikely, as you can always easily push out the draw distance and do other things that will eat your performance, but it's not strictly impossible.

(I know about and own Forza Horizon 2 on 360 -- really fun game, I actually prefer it to the X1 version in many ways -- but that isn't the same game like a theoretical FH4 should be on all Xbox One hardware variants.)

The Scorpio's GPU is a massive upgrade from the One but it still has shitty jaguar cores, sure they're pushed to the extreme but you can only polish a turd so much.

Expect 4k 30fps for Horizon games.

Show me 4k Forza Dan!

Ok here you go.

h44auhk.png

yyr

The Scorpio's GPU is a massive upgrade from the One but it still has shitty jaguar cores, sure they're pushed to the extreme but you can only polish a turd so much.

Expect 4k 30fps for Horizon games.

That'd make me super sad.

I haven't enjoyed 30fps racing games in years; they look like slideshows to me and I get no sense of speed. I confirmed that this is still the case with the FH3 demo...I had no fun at all.

I guess I'll just have to stick to Motorsport if they still can't manage it =\

Hux1ey

Banned
That'd make me super sad.

I haven't enjoyed 30fps racing games in years; they look like slideshows to me and I get no sense of speed. I confirmed that this is still the case with the FH3 demo...I had no fun at all.

I guess I'll just have to stick to Motorsport if they still can't manage it =\

There's always the PC version of Horizon, but yea 30fps blows.

Madness

Best racing series out now, don't @.

They have really taken the crown from others and driven off with it. Horizon is the perfect arcade racing open world game, motorsport is ridiculously polished simulation racing.

With Scorpio coming, even PC'ers can expect much better fidelity and settings for the future games. Can't wait to see what they do with the next Motorsport and then Horizon.

Gestault

Horizon 3 on a postage stamp already looks gorgeous, let alone 4K.

gzCJcDR.gif

The current setup is as ideal as I've seen in any racing game. The set of hubs you upgrade to unlock new events for each region (which have small visual upgrades in the overworld as you go along), and you can choose whatever events you want to progress is good on its own. I do think they've tapped out the extent of the showcase races against non-car vehicles, unless they get really clever. I love the train/speedboat/cargo-plane as much as the next guy, but any regular player knows it's a spruced up time-attack. The totally separate "illegal" street race campaign (which is the "normal" racing game underneath it all, a lot like Tokyo Extreme Racer) with the night races, car-bet midnight "bosses," and championship series is where the skill game comes in. The traditional championship series is there for the whole game, but you could just as easily clear the main content without hitting many at all. I think the event types should be category view filter by default, instead of showing them all at once and letting the player trim them down.

They use a more traditional "medal" progression system in both Blizzard Mountain and Hot Wheels. That change was appreciated, after so many hours in the core game.

Hexer06

The game already can feel like you are in Tokyo haha.

Where did you get those pics from? I remember seeing the thread for it that some guy made screenshots that look like all the old school racers, but I never saved it. Do you have a link by chance? :D

RdN

Horizon is an incredible franchise.

Every entry in it has massively improved upon the last.

I cannot wait to see FH3 running in 4k on Scorpio.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Quite comfortably the best driving game of this gen thus far.

Deserves every success.

But the Ultimate Edition scam the Forza franchise has going needs to stop. A real blight on an otherwise fantastic franchise.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Finally been putting time in on Xbox One will all the DLC for Horizon 3. It's an incredible accomplishment from them and the only current gen title on Xbox One I really put much time into

The only "sales update" made on the Microsoft E3 conference
Dan Greenawalt said Forza has now over 4.8 million active players
probably not worth a new topic...

Top Bottom