• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Found Out My Friend is a Flat Earther Today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't see the issue tbh. Doesn't change all the good times, rough times and memories you've made together does it?

A friend of mine thinks the earth is flat and that it's just through people using go pro cameras that make the earth look curved. Do I care? No, of course I don't.

Okay, my understanding, as someone who knows a flat-earther, is that many of them believe that Antarctica surrounds the flat Earth, and that "the government" knows what's beyond the edge of the world, but wants to keep it a secret because of reasons. Which is why there's a giant wall in Antarctica that prevents anybody from getting to the edge of the world. They believe that the giant Antarctic walls prevent the oceans from spilling out over the edge.

I want a science
fiction
movie about this now.

Well there is a danger in thinking about things this way. There have been validated conspiracy theories in our history. But when you toss everything into that family, no one will take the time to look closer. Flat earth? The fuck out of here for sure... anything lumped in with that bullshit will automatically be rejected by most people. I guess my point is that the problem is not conspiracy theories, it's inflexibility of the mind, a sword that cuts both ways.
I'm not suggesting to dismiss or ignore or even look down upon someone. But the psychosis behind many conspiracy theorist's behavior and beliefs warrants a deeper understanding that their argument is often not the heart behind what they say they believe. It's often an indication of more challenging individual psychological and social issues unrelated to the actual theory.

A friend of mine thinks the earth is flat and that it's just through people using go pro cameras that make the earth look curved. Do I care? No, of course I don't.

That's so bizarre. Unless he thinks the Earth is a cube, how does he view oceans and land masses coming from the horizon with ISS footages?

evolution1.jpg

Platy

Don't know if it's been posted already but someone sent me this link the other day.

http://imgur.com/a/5Magi

It amazes me that people can be this stupid but still operate a computer.

The worst thing is "do you have camera proof of this space thing" like if it was impossible.

Like launching a metereological like baloon that reaches the atmosphere is possible by kids these days

KrellRell

Don't see the issue tbh. Doesn't change all the good times, rough times and memories you've made together does it?

I totally agree with this post. It's sad to see people breaking friendships over non sense.

The worst thing is "do you have camera proof of this space thing" like if it was impossible.

Like launching a metereological like baloon that reaches the atmosphere is possible by kids these days

People have sent gopros to space.

But I assume gopro and gopro customers are part of the conspiracy.

Doc_Drop

I totally agree with this post. It's sad to see people breaking friendships over non sense.
Personally,as I said earlier in this thread I would at least try and get them to see sense. If they refuse then I would assume they've lost their faculties and I would be less inclined to see them. If their judgment is that far off then what's the point? I say this coming from the perspective of having a large group of friends I see every now and then and a tight group that I see regularly. None of them are idiots so it means something would really be wrong.

How can you just let something like this slide? it's not like a political ideology, it's the belief that the world as we know it is a lie covered up by thousands of people over millenia

How can you just let something like this slide? it's not like a political ideology, it's the belief that the world as we know it is a lie covered up by thousands of people over millenia

It's real easy to let it slide, just realize your friend is a bit on the irrational conspiracy side, and keep living your life, unless there's some converting attempts going on.

Just as easy to let slide as the belief that <insert deity here> actually exists, totally irrational, <insert other deity here> though, makes total sense...

UCBooties

Don't know if it's been posted already but someone sent me this link the other day.

http://imgur.com/a/5Magi

It amazes me that people can be this stupid but still operate a computer.

Honestly this is why I think that OP's friend is only going to get worse. Once people start down these rabbit holes they only tend to get more and more extreme in their views and more combative about the narrative. I have had a few people in my life go waaaaay off the deep end into conspiracy theory, MRA, "free thinker" bullshit starting from some fairly innocuous beliefs.

This may be only the start...

As for the question of who would benefit from hiding the true shape of the Earth and cosmos, the justification I've seen is "People are easier to control with spheres."

Now that's... obviously gibberish. But what it actually refers to is the belief that the current scientific view of the Earth being a small speck in a massive indifferent universe is used to make people belief that they are unimportant and undercut religious truth. A flat earth is, by necessity, the center of the Universe, which makes Earth and Humanity incredibly important in universal terms and usually ties into so Biblical literalist nonsense.

Doc_Drop

It's real easy to let it slide, just realize your friend is a bit on the irrational conspiracy side, and keep living your life, unless there's some converting attempts going on.

Just as easy to let slide as the belief that <insert deity here> actually exists, totally irrational, <insert other deity here> though, makes total sense...
A bit on the irrational conspiracy side...

A FLAT EARTH

This is way different from gmos and fluoride water and as much as I would massively question the sanity of any of my friends converting to religion at our age (I am not going to shun a friend who already holds these beliefs regardless of my issues with it), this is another level.

I wouldn't be the only one of my friends to react this way, two of my best mates are physicists for gods sake, they would flip the fuck out

KrellRell

Personally,as I said earlier in this thread I would at least try and get them to see sense. If they refuse then I would assume they've lost their faculties and I would be less inclined to see them. If their judgment is that far off then what's the point? I say this coming from the perspective of having a large group of friends I see every now and then and a tight group that I see regularly. None of them are idiots so it means something would really be wrong.

I can let it slide because I don't care. Who cares if someone thinks the world is flat? It's petty and trivial, let people think what they want. If you want to feel better about yourself because you're right, feel that way. Do you have to discontinue a great friendship over it? I don't think so.

In the grand scheme it's one thing. A thing that doesn't even matter. Let's say the world is flat, now what? Nothing, nothing changes, and that's what I'm trying to get at. It doesn't matter.

Amory

This.

I don't know anyone who believes this ridiculous bullshit but if I did I don't think I'd really care. As long as they keep it to themselves.

Doc_Drop

And if a friend believed that there was a global conspiracy of all the dolphins planning an invasion of the human race involving collusion with hamsters?

I suppose that'd be fine as well?

rjinaz

I can let it slide because I don't care. Who cares if someone thinks the world is flat? It's petty and trivial, let people think what they want. If you want to feel better about yourself because you're right, feel that way. Do you have to discontinue a great friendship over it? I don't think so.

In the grand scheme it's one thing. A thing that doesn't even matter. Let's say the world is flat, now what? Nothing, nothing changes, and that's what I'm trying to get at. It doesn't matter.

That's fine. I personally could not. I could not be friends with somebody that disregards reality. Somebody that will believe any conspiracy they hear, because if they believe this then it's likely they believe others as well, like denying people are dead like children, and it's cruel.

If they so willingly disregard they reality around them, where does it stop? They have to have it validated. They can't just keep it in their minds when practically everybody else on the planet thinks they are wrong. The human mind doesn't work that way, it needs assurances that others agree. In order to believe a conspiracy like that you have to believe that pretty much everybody you meet is either a liar or a fool. There is a lot of paranoia, hate, and fear that drives a person to come to such a conclusion. Are they a danger to themselves? Are the a danger to me?

Now, if I was a childhood friend with such a person and we were still close and I found out about this, then no, I wouldn't cut them out most likely. But I definitely would not continue a moderate friendship or be interested in starting a friendship with such a person.

Depends on how far down the rabbit hole they've gone and how close of a friend they actually are. If they're constantly talking about flat-earth, vaccinations, sending people to space, or whatever all being conspiracies and shit, I don't have time, or the patience, for that garbage. I can only take so much anti-science bullshit (which is very little).

Not to mention it seems to always be a representation of a bigger issue of their person. I honestly have to question the judgement of someone who believes in such nonsense.

David___

Banned
I dont mind flat earthers. They're dumb as rocks, but at least they isnt causing harm like climate change deniers.
That being said, I wouldnt be surprised if there's a large overlap between the two.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
They claim it's an optical illusion from the window being fisheyed I think
The passenger windows on the airplane unfortunately do have slight distortion, and also offer a very narrow field of view to see an extremely gentle curvature that you can see at those 10-12KM heights. Sadly, on a passenger airliner you'd really have to be in a pilot's cabin to see the curvature clearly, but yeah good luck with that nowadays. It would also have to be a very clear, cloudless day too of course.

As far it being "okay/whatever":

A responsibility you have to your friends is to try and stop them from humiliating themselves in public. If your friend met up with you to go to a nice restaurant dressed in a mascot-style banana costume with a hole cut out to bare his ass and crocs on, you'd tell him he should probably get changed first, right?

You have a responsibility to a friend to make it perfectly clear that being a flat-earther does not make them "quirky" or "fun", it makes them a laughing stock so contemptible that even the GOP won't actively court their vote.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
hollow earth theory is far more credible, although flat earth does have its own merits

try to keep an open mind

Lol I swear the random casual nutjobs in these threads are just the same user with multiple accounts popping up over the years.

KingV

What would keep us bolted to the ground? Call that force whatever you want but at the end of the day it's semantics. There is either a force keeping us on the ground or there isn't. The fact that I'm sitting here right now and not floating around tells me there is.

They believe it is a constant upward acceleration of 32 ft/s^2 of the earth "plate" that we perceive as gravity.

____

I agree with this. I just don't think I have the energy in me at this age (29) to spend on caring (negatively) about what others believe in. Friends, strangers, family or otherwise.

He just took the meme too far in a no-ironic war, the same as those famous people who thinks the same things.

Can you still be friends with him after that? I wouldn't mind, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom