• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Found Out My Friend is a Flat Earther Today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
These two things do not go together. There is nothing intelligent about believing a bunch of fan fiction over established fact just because you're paranoid/distrusting of the government/scientists/millions of other people involved in this great "cover-up."

I guess if you view everything completely in black and white. I also have intelligent religious friends, friends who differ in my views on politics etc, but I'll stop short of labelling everyone stupid and finding new friends. Whatever floats your boat though.

Joeytj

Banned
hollow earth theory is far more credible, although flat earth does have its own merits

try to keep an open mind

No, no, no, no. I'm not going to let the 21st Century degrade into the century where "trying to keep an open mind" lead us to even consider the Flat-earth theory has a single iota of merit.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
No, no, no, no. I'm not going to let the 21st Century degrade into the century where "trying to keep an open mind" lead us to even consider the Flat-earth theory has a single iota of merit.

The moon might really be made of green cheese, keep an open mind.

I'm with you, that is so obnoxious. It's really getting silly out there. Having an open mind doesn't mean respecting utter foolishness. When legitimate science discovers new facts that cast doubt on previously established theories and/or facts, then I'll have an open mind.
It makes no fucking sense to have an open mind to nonsense, why would anyone do that. It's insulting to criticize someone for not having an 'open mind' to horseshit.

Sky Chief

hollow earth theory is far more credible, although flat earth does have its own merits

try to keep an open mind

I've flown on the Concorde and seen the curvature of the earth. I've also done an around the world trip India > Thailand > Singapore > Australia > Hawaii > USA > England > India and never found the edge. There are no merits to flat earth theory.

I swear to god, it's hard enough to get troglodytes to get a flu shot.

If even a single adult of sound mind and body genuinely believes the earth is flat in 2017, then we failed as a species, and might as well go back to the dark ages.

Not

Banned

try to keep an open mind

You're a four-brained octopus hooked up to mobius tubes in a green vat somewhere in the 45th dimension and everything you see around you in the higher-dimensional equivalent of ones and zeroes

Try to keep an open mind

Peterthumpa

I've flown on the Concorde and seen the curvature of the earth. I've also done an around the world trip India > Thailand > Singapore > Australia > Hawaii > USA > England > India and never found the edge. There are no merits to flat earth theory.
Did the Concorde flown that high that you could actually see Earth's curvature? Legit question.

If yes, that's awesome.

Not

Banned
Did the Concorde flown that high that you could actually see Earth's curvature? Legit question.

If yes, that's awesome.

I'VE fucking seen the curvature of the earth. You can see it out of any commercial plane window midflight.

I'VE fucking seen the curvature of the earth. You can see it out of any commercial plane window midflight.

fish eye windows
not serious, but I bet someone believes that

Sky Chief

If yes, that's awesome.

Yes! And you fly so high that when you look up the sky is dark like you're in outer space and when you look at the horizon it looks like the blue atmosphere is below you.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I know how you feel. Someone on my Facebook is constantly posting flat earth shit. I'm not sure what theory he believes though. He either thinks that there are ice walls at the edges of the Earth with government personnel stationed there to stop people getting to close to them, or he thinks that there is a giant dome surrounding the Earth that has never been penetrated, thus there are no satellites and we've never been to space, all the footage of astronauts on the ISS is fake and it's actually just people in water tanks. Yeah this is what he thinks I'm pretty sure:

If they think it would be practical to patrol the entire edge of a flat Earth in a harsh climate then it's no wonder so many people think it would be easy to secure the whole US border with Mexico.

It's just the most bizarre form of anti-intellect that's getting popular these days. It's like a competition who can be the most indisputably ignorant.

Peltz

Your mistake was debating him. Flat Earthers want attention, they want to show you how quirky and clever they are, they want to be a conversation piece. Rather than trying to convince them or prove them wrong, just say, "You're a fucking imbecile" every time they bring it up and leave it at that; it stops real quick.

This is.... surprisingly solid advice.

Not

Banned
fish eye windows
not serious, but I bet someone believes that

That's the first thing that came to mind. Fuck it, at that point, why not just claim that all the windows are LCDs?

Agree that debate isn't worth it and that attention is their goal. Shut them down upfront without feedin'

Piggus

I guess if you view everything completely in black and white. I also have intelligent religious friends, friends who differ in my views on politics etc, but I'll stop short of labelling everyone stupid and finding new friends. Whatever floats your boat though.

Again, believing the earth is flat is a lot different than being religious. Religious people are misguided at best. Flat Earthers are just stupid.

America baffles me. Some of the smartest people on the planet and also the dumbest beyond belief.

Is the flat earth theory just some word republican shit because reasons.

Is the flat earth theory just some word republican shit because reasons.

No, there might be some statistical correlation just because of other demographic relationships (ie, level of education and political affiliation), but it's not a politicized belief or something the GOP (to my knowledge) would even stoop to officially supporting.

jstripes

Banned

I've seen the sun set from a commercial airliner. You can see the Earth cast an actual shadow.

PkzJPkQ.jpg

How much did George Soros pay you to post this bro?

Was at a bar a few months ago and this young guy started talking to me about how the moon landings were faked.

This willfully ignorant, anti-science, anti-facts sentiment has been on the rise for decades, but it seems like it really ramped up in the past 10 years. Colbert nailed it years ago when he talked about "truthiness", that people want to believe what they feel is the truth rather than accept anything else.

jstripes

Banned
Was at a bar a few months ago and this young guy started talking to me about how the moon landings were faked.

This willfully ignorant, anti-science, anti-facts sentiment has been on the rise for decades, but it seems like it really ramped up in the past 10 years. Colbert nailed it years ago when he talked about "truthiness", that people want to believe what they feel is the truth rather than accept anything else.

I was at a McDonalds a few years ago and some weirdo started talking to me about how "vaccines" are just a front to start a Walking Dead zombie apocalypse scenario, and he showed me websites on his phone that "prove" it.

toohectic

I they think it would be practical to patrol the entire edge of a flat Earth in a harsh climate then it's no wonder so many people think it would be easy to secure the whole US border with Mexico.

How long would that ice coastline even be?

dubc35

The Death of Expertise.
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/03/...e-explores-how-ignorance-became-a-virtue.html

“Americans have reached a point where ignorance, especially of anything related to public policy, is an actual virtue,” the scholar Tom Nichols writes in his timely new book, “The Death of Expertise.” “To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they’re wrong about anything. It is a new Declaration of Independence: No longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that aren’t true. All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.”

Read this on medium today and it's important to remember when talking to conspiracy theorist types:

"A conspiracy theory is a view about the world in which the surface story is never the real story. It's a view without any limits to its skepticism or doubt. It's a mindset in which nothing that contradicts the theory is taken as anything other than evidence that the theory is true."

Reeks

Read this on medium today and it's important to remember when talking to conspiracy theorist types:

Well there is a danger in thinking about things this way. There have been validated conspiracy theories in our history. But when you toss everything into that family, no one will take the time to look closer. Flat earth? The fuck out of here for sure... anything lumped in with that bullshit will automatically be rejected by most people. I guess my point is that the problem is not conspiracy theories, it's inflexibility of the mind, a sword that cuts both ways.

For one I have actually had debates with religious people on a metaphysical level. It may blow your mind but there are people who manage to believe in god while also obeying scientific theory.

A flat-earther is someone who outright denies scientific evidence that's been accepted for a very long time..

Flat Earth Society began in the UK.

Edit: Actually looking into it, a lot of the modern flat-earthers began in the UK.

Thanks for the info, most of the news of people saying this seem to come from america, but if its the UK where it started the i stand corrected.

In my country, spain, ive heard some people stating the crazy we havent gone to the moon being the truth, but never heard about anyone, not even the most religious or old people I know, actiually thinking the earth is flat.

I mostly don't understand the point in believing in a flat earth. Like is there a whole new science that can be explained? What are practical benefits???

There's many practical applications of a round earth. Gravity being one of them.

Why believe in a flat earth?

NotBacon

no clue, I don't take flat earth theory very seriously

You: I believe X
Others: You do realize you are without a doubt conclusively wrong right?
Y: But what about <insert debunked theories here>
O: Peer review? Evidence? Critical thinking?
Y: Oh.... uh...... I don't take this very seriously.

You can't claim a lack of engagement in the topic to avoid providing evidence for your claims.

RedHill

Banned
What's up with this need to respect these "brand new" ideas of flat earth and alt-right nazism. Like we've been over this in history. You aren't a free thinker or unique.

I mostly don't understand the point in believing in a flat earth. Like is there a whole new science that can be explained? What are practical benefits???

There's many practical applications of a round earth. Gravity being one of them.

Why believe in a flat earth?

It's literally people refusing to think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom