• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Found Out My Friend is a Flat Earther Today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coast to Coast AM has had some excellent segments that cover topics such as flat earth theory, hollow earth theory, etc. I've found the hollow earth pieces to be exceptional.

Also, for those who are interested, they just had a great segment on the hollow moon theory. Summary below:

You blew your troll cover with this one, breh. Nice effort, though.

ReAxion

how does this keep happening to GAFers. is there a "how to make weird friends" thread i'm not seeing? it's in Community, right?

koji kabuto

Don't make fun of flat earthers, They are the victims of online campaign directed mostly to US citizens.
The sudden explosion in popularity is not a coincidence, If you follow the flat earth community's leaders you will notice that they have unbelievable love and respect for Putin and always link his name with honesty.

Remember when we thought conspiracy theories are harmless and kinda funny?
Not anymore, Armies of online trolls pushing hard for bull shit like Pizzagate and Flat earth.

Don't make fun of flat earthers, They are the victims of online campaign directed mostly to US citizens.
The sudden explosion in popularity is not a coincidence, If you follow the flat earth community's leaders you will notice that they have unbelievable love and respect for Putin and always link his name with honesty.

Not anymore, Armies of online trolls pushing hard for bull shit like Pizzagate and Flat earth.

Now that's irony. They need to realize they're their own victims.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

Putin might be responsible for more things than we suspect, but I don't think elementary-school level of ignorance of non-Russians could be one of them.

Mahonay

Banned

I don't think they are funny. It's frightening that it has become more popular.

RankoSD

Falling is one thing (gravity) but this isn't a great argument given the surface tension of water.

If a flat earther was smart enough to know about the surface tension, then just ask them to explain to you why does raindrop or a soap bubble end in a sphere and not some other shape.

Ultimately, if most of them don't believe in gravity, which is the main reason why planets and other big objects in the universe are spheres, ask them to jump from a window of a high building to see if they truly believe it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
From my experience those folks usually believe that the truth is hidden to lure people away from god. So there is no point at all in trying to convince them, since anything that might indicate that the Earth if not flat is a potential illusion/trick involving potentially supernatural forces. On top of that, you have those who are trolling, and those who know it's bullshit but will ascribe to those beliefs out of opposition to "the enemy", like Trump supporters who know when he is lying but consider it fine because the lies are used against their enemies.

Don't bother with those people, stop talking to them.

That would certainly explain why they haven't latched onto the whole Trump-Russia thing.

I mean, that should be a goldmine for would-be conspiracy theorists.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I feel conspiracy theorists on the whole are the type of person that needs a way to stand above others, to feel bigger or better or smarter, than those around them even if that isn't the reality of the situation. It's basically a losers way of sounding like they're smarter than they're really are because they're "in" on a secret that no one else know's because they're all brain washed sheep who haven't woken up yet.

Worse they can get all self righteous over their "beliefs" because they're just trying to help you and in reality you're in the wrong for not believing and better mankind. Its just a far more elaborate way of holding up your nose at people, even more so because its nigh impossible to disprove a lot of this shit because its based on hearsay over the internet. Its basically just another way to make up for a tiny cock, literally and figuratively.

hobozero

Anti-intellectualism usually finds purchase in those who for whatever reason feel inferior. Maybe it's the godly, fearing the encroaching power of the secular. Maybe its the intellectually lazy, who mistake jealous contrarianism for secret, forbidden knowledge. Maybe it's the deranged, finding solace in fantasy.

And maybe it's Maybelline

ckohler

I understand how cognitive dissonance and the allure of a mystery can make people believe crazy conspiracy theories but what I want to know is WHY flat-earthers think the conspiracy exists?

What is there to gain from such a cover up? It's not like other conspiracy theories where some group has power over others or can make a lot of money.

zethren

Banned
We all want there to be some kind of mystery to the world, something more. Something fantastical even. Flat earthers just take it to the next level and blend a heaping pile of conspiracy theory into the mix.

Not

Banned
This movement, I believe, is direct opposition to the Internet letting people transmit facts, information, and intellectual perspectives on a global scale-- it's interesting that the "media panic" in this case would cause a number of people to reject factual information outright.

Media panic, to those unfamiliar with the term, refers to the natural and unavoidable backlash when a new technology is introduced into society and upsets the established norm.

Stay friends with him and just make sure to treat him like an idiot at every opportunity. But that's the asshole thing to do so maybe that's not you.

Not as bad but I have a good friend who went off the vegan deep end, like he's honestly convinced that the meat industry is basically the illuminati trying to control us by keeping us addicted to chemicals they pump into animal products. One time he said that if I ate only fish and he ate nothing at all that he would survive longer, I put it to a wager but he said he cared too much about me and I would die within 3 weeks if we did it, so it unfortunately never happened. I think he's also a low key anti-vaccer, but he at least has enough shame to not bring it up directly.

Mindlog

If Earth is flat, why is the sun and moon round?

How do satellites orbit the Earth and accurately show us the weather?

I don't know if I could continue conversing with someone so willfully ignorant.
I just learned the flat earthy moon data.
The moon is a sphere. It has a diameter of 32 miles and is located approximately 3000 miles above the surface of the earth.
Why? How? What? This is upsetting me.

Your friend seemed a bit odd to me with this whole cat reminding him of you thing to be honest. Flat earth doesn't sound like it would put of the realm of possibility to a guy like that in my option. I don't know your friend though, that's just an obseervation from a post on the internet.

I found out one of my friends is a flat earther a few years ago. As dumb as the whole thing might be, he is an intelligent dude that makes most of it sound actually believable.... Or I at least want to believe him lol Nothing better than going out for a few too many beers and going to town on the flat earth thing. Good nights!

And I can't believe people actually drop friends because of this? Honestly, someone telling me they're a flat earther is no different than finding out you're religious. I don't believe in either and they both sound ridiculous to me. And I'm not dumping friends for that alone. I have enough problems to deal with than care what others are doing with their spare time to get by within reason.

BlisterBrown

Neo Member
Me and my girlfriend where discussing this theory and other crackpot conspiracies and she made a really good point about why people believe this crap when there isn't a shred of credible evidence. It's because believing in something like this makes you feel special, like you know some kind of secret. It's fun to them.

You don't believe in this crap because you looked at the facts and made an honest descision, you believe it because it makes you either feel smart or your life more insteresting. Stupid as fuck of course, but it makes sense.

Hex

Banned
I know GAF loves to jump all over any kind of conspiracy theorist and whatnot (and Flat Earth really deserves it...)
But I am still hung up on ""this Earth might be flat but it's the only one we got". " ..... who the hell talks like that? Who would structure that in a sentence even if they were a devout flat earther.... it just makes no sense.
""this Earth might be flat but it's the only one we got". ... just can't get past it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I know GAF loves to jump all over any kind of conspiracy theorist and whatnot (and Flat Earth really deserves it...)
But I am still hung up on ""this Earth might be flat but it's the only one we got". " ..... who the hell talks like that? Who would structure that in a sentence even if they were a devout flat earther.... it just makes no sense.
""this Earth might be flat but it's the only one we got". ... just can't get past it.

If you're believing in stuff like a flat Earth I've got to assume your grammar is the least of your concerns.

I can show the receipts if it's really so unbelievable to you.

BumRush

Question about Flat Earth Theory:

Why do people that believe the earth is flat care? Why is it important to them in any way?

ckohler

Why do people that believe the earth is flat care? Why is it important to them in any way?
Conspiracy theories make the believer think they are a special snowflake who is privy to "the truth". They are free ego boosts. They also tickle a part of the brain that loves a mystery.

Me and my girlfriend where discussing this theory and other crackpot conspiracies and she made a really good point about why people believe this crap when there isn't a shred of credible evidence. It's because believing in something like this makes you feel special, like you know some kind of secret. It's fun to them.

You don't believe in this crap because you looked at the facts and made an honest descision, you believe it because it makes you either feel smart or your life more insteresting. Stupid as fuck of course, but it makes sense.

I think is more of people being disconnected from facts, evidence and above them all, science.

They see science telling them "this is the only truth because evidence" being elitist and egotistical, and it creates a shock when they see their beliefs are false and think is rude to tell them otherwise.

It happened to me discussing aliens with my brother. Told him that SETI is preparing radio wave scanning that has a high chance of finding some form of technological comms and that giving the physics of the universe, space ships is highly unlikely, specially with how many observatory we have on earth (and space) not seeing a single one of them supports it. And I said to him that this is really cool, because we could find something similar to us in about 20 to 30 years!

He said that It's human logic and aliens must be smarter than us and must know how to overcome the physics of the universe.

Explained to him why is it so hard for that to happen, and that it's more likely to find out if we are alone the scientific way.

"I didn't ask for an explanation. This is what I believe and you can't tell me otherwise" was his response.

Sad, I liked to talk about this stuff with him, and while I don't discard the possibility of aliens being that advance, I think that we should stick to evidence.

Same as lots of other things. It makes them feel like they are in on the "truth" and therefore smarter, better, and more enlightened than other people. Once you believe in something, it gets tied up in your personal identity, so you perceive attacks on the belief as attacks on you and get super defensive rather than accept contrary information.

Piggus

I found out one of my friends is a flat earther a few years ago. As dumb as the whole thing might be, he is an intelligent dude that makes most of it sound actually believable.... Or I at least want to believe him lol Nothing better than going out for a few too many beers and going to town on the flat earth thing. Good nights!

And I can't believe people actually drop friends because of this? Honestly, someone telling me they're a flat earther is no different than finding out you're religious. I don't believe in either and they both sound ridiculous to me. And I'm not dumping friends for that alone. I have enough problems to deal with than care what others are doing with their spare time to get by within reason.

These two things do not go together. There is nothing intelligent about believing a bunch of fan fiction over established fact just because you're paranoid/distrusting of the government/scientists/millions of other people involved in this great "cover-up."

Jenov

Flat earthers are tragically stupid people looking for something to try and boost their self importance in the world. And they're not harmless either, this sort of denial of science and fact leads to all other sorts of stupidity and conspiracies.

These two things do not go together. There is nothing intelligent about believing a bunch of fan fiction over established fact just because you're paranoid/distrusting of the government/scientists/millions of other people involved in this great "cover-up."
Don't agree. Intelligence isn't so much of a binary thing either you are or aren't. People can be smart in a myriad of different ways and dumb in plenty others.
I mean.. Look at Ben Carson. No one dumb could be a brain surgeon, but he says dumb stuff all the time.

When I said cat I meant a person. Not an actual cat. A guy/dude/chap/cat reminded him of me.
Ah, that makes more sense. If you want to use words like that you need to type the whole post like a funkadelic disco man to get us in the mood, just throwing in one word of it makes it confusing.

Coast to Coast AM has had some excellent segments that cover topics such as flat earth theory, hollow earth theory, etc. I've found the hollow earth pieces to be exceptional.

Also, for those who are interested, they just had a great segment on the hollow moon theory. Summary below:
With all due respect. STFU.

orochi91

I feel that this is an inconsequential opinion to have, with regards to the earth being flat.

True best friends are invaluable in life, so this doesn't seem like a worthwhile topic over which you have to sever ties with him.

if my friend or brother told me he didn't believe in gravity i would push him down a flight of stairs the first chance i got then yell "LEVITATE LEVITATE LEVITATE LEVITATE"

i would expect them to do the same if i said some stupid shit like that

Apath

I like to think that the majority of the flat Earth movement is a strong push to encourage debate and discussion of fundamental beliefs. Obviously the Earth is round, but there are so many nuances you can "poke holes in," so to speak, exposing the gaps in the general population's knowledge. Such as that helicopter discussion above.

I always come away from these types of threads learning something or reading an interesting discussion about why exactly the Earth is round, despite already knowing and believing the conclusion.

rjinaz

I used to listen to the show too, I worked late nights. Its supposed to be interesting and entertaining. You're not supposed to believe everything.

A reminder, there is a difference between having an open mind and believing everything you hear. One uses critical thinking the other does not.

Doc_Drop

I feel that this is an inconsequential opinion to have, with regards to the earth being flat.

True best friends are invaluable in life, so this doesn't seem like a worthwhile topic over which you have to sever ties with him.

Inconsequential? The reality,or the lack of belief in it is inconsequential? I personally wouldn't rest until I'd changed their mind as they are clearly suffering from delusions and may have bigger issues with regards to their mental health. I'd be more ok with them discovering religion honestly, even though a great deal of shared experience going forward would be fundamentally changed.

Codeblue

CiHuksZXAAAn4qZ.jpg

Honestly if it were me I'd never get past it. How wouldn't it ruin your friendship.
'Hey this film is good'

'Is it? You think the world is flat.'

'Hey I was just reading an amazing article on how objects just fall'

'Get fucked'

This. I couldn't do it. How do you take someone seriously after that? Even if they came to their senses, I'd never stop bringing up that one time they thought the Earth was a 2D disc.

I'm not dropping him as a friend unless he keeps trying to get me to "WAKE UP". But I don't feel it's as inconsequential as you make it sound.

Your mistake was debating him. Flat Earthers want attention, they want to show you how quirky and clever they are, they want to be a conversation piece. Rather than trying to convince them or prove them wrong, just say, "You're a fucking imbecile" every time they bring it up and leave it at that; it stops real quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom