• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fountain Pens 2k16

Jac_Solar

Hey! Got your message! I'm not sure I can give a great recommendation because I only have experience with a few of those Lamy pens. Is there a price point you are looking at? Any specific things about the pens? If I know more generally what you are looking for, I can probably help more.

Hey, thank you. Hm, probably around 40-60$ or so?

I was originally going to buy either Lamy Safari or Al-Star, but I prefer the stainless or metal housings of some of the other pens.

My favorite, design wise, is probably Waterman Graduate, Waterman Hemisphere, Diplomat Traveller or Cross Classic

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Kinda wanting to get that Metropoliton but thinking about how much I write this would hardly ever get used. Going to have to think this over a bit and see if I want to start documenting stuff or something.
giphy.gif

leroidys

I have one metropolitan now, but want something else to have two colors of ink on hand. Anyone have a recommendation for a nice contrast? Should I just get a second metropolitan?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Kinda wanting to get that Metropoliton but thinking about how much I write this would hardly ever get used. Going to have to think this over a bit and see if I want to start documenting stuff or something.

Thing is, it might get you in the habit of writing more. I know fountain pens did that for me.
And it's not like a huge investment either.

My Metropolitan showed up today and I managed to get ink everywhere again. It is a gift.

(I'm just a clumsy oaf really.)

Haven't "wasted" the fancy paper yet, but I did manage to salvage some of the black ink the pen came with and it writes great. Have a $6 Plumix on the slow way coming from Amazon, too.

I'm assuming the nib swap to make the "Pletropolitix" is fairly easy? ;p

Also signed up for that ink sample thing from Goulet. Will stick with it for a few months for sure, but may cancel it if it turns out I don't use it fast enough. I don't want the ink imps to breed. Was pleasantly surprised with the wide array of casual, informative YouTube videos that Goulet has about their products.

Dazzla

Last time I used a fountain pen would've been 20 years ago in secondary school. Would have been a cheap Parker with little replaceable cartridges which leaked everywhere, writing into a cheap school book.

This thread convinced me to give it another try, I ended up buying a Lamy Safari, Z24 converter, some Waterman bottled ink and a Rhodia pad.

I'll be using it at work, I'm an engineer so there are always tonnes of review meetings and note taking sessions. It feels strange going from one extreme from the other. I bought a Surface 3 to use as an electronic notepad but it just didn't feel right, and I felt like I was fighting it a bit. Plus I couldn't take it into sensitive clients and as most of my customers are military it left me not using it much. Can't wait to take delivery of this little bundle.

Forsete

Gold Member
When it comes to cleaning these pens.

Water + dish detergent + ammonia works the best IMO. It removes old dried up ink from the feed very well. Just leave the pens in for 30-60 minutes then wash them in regular water.

21712313796_89a7615754_h.jpg

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Hey, thank you. Hm, probably around 40-60$ or so?

I was originally going to buy either Lamy Safari or Al-Star, but I prefer the stainless or metal housings of some of the other pens.

My favorite, design wise, is probably Waterman Graduate, Waterman Hemisphere, Diplomat Traveller or Cross Classic

Let me take a look at those and see if I have some other suggestions.
If you like the designs, you can also just go ahead and get something that calls to you. Some pens are better than others, but there is a lot of personal preference there and even cheap pens are really damn good nowadays. If you like how a pen looks, go for it!

I have one metropolitan now, but want something else to have two colors of ink on hand. Anyone have a recommendation for a nice contrast? Should I just get a second metropolitan?

Depends on what you mean by "contrast." Something that looks really different? Something with a really different nib?

I think the progression I'd recommend is Metropolitan -> TWSBI. Grab an Eco if you want to spend about $30. If you want your first really nice pen, grab a 580, Vac700, Diamond Mini, or Vac Mini. They all have the same great nibs, so pick the one you think looks coolest.

For just having pens around to try out new inks, another Metropolitan is tough to beat.

Thing is, it might get you in the habit of writing more. I know fountain pens did that for me.
And it's not like a huge investment either.

That's a big part of the appeal for me. I enjoy the writing I do that much more, so I write more, meaning I enjoy it even more, etc.

My Metropolitan showed up today and I managed to get ink everywhere again. It is a gift.

(I'm just a clumsy oaf really.)

Haven't "wasted" the fancy paper yet, but I did manage to salvage some of the black ink the pen came with and it writes great. Have a $6 Plumix on the slow way coming from Amazon, too.

I'm assuming the nib swap to make the "Pletropolitix" is fairly easy? ;p

Also signed up for that ink sample thing from Goulet. Will stick with it for a few months for sure, but may cancel it if it turns out I don't use it fast enough. I don't want the ink imps to breed. Was pleasantly surprised with the wide array of casual, informative YouTube videos that Goulet has about their products.

Debating renaming it the "Pilot Metro-Lum." :p

It's super easy to swap the nibs. Grab the nib and feed (the black plastic the nib rests on) and pull it away from the pen. Some gently back and forth twisting helps. The old nib will lift right off. When you seat the new nib, you'll see it fits right into place. Some pens let you move the nib up and down the feed a bit to tune them, but that can get tricky. The Metropolitan nibs fit in a little groove.

Goulet Pens InkDrop is amazing! They have been killing it lately, too. So many nice inks! There's almost always an Iroshizuku each month, which is super cool.

Last time I used a fountain pen would've been 20 years ago in secondary school. Would have been a cheap Parker with little replaceable cartridges which leaked everywhere, writing into a cheap school book.

This thread convinced me to give it another try, I ended up buying a Lamy Safari, Z24 converter, some Waterman bottled ink and a Rhodia pad.

I'll be using it at work, I'm an engineer so there are always tonnes of review meetings and note taking sessions. It feels strange going from one extreme from the other. I bought a Surface 3 to use as an electronic notepad but it just didn't feel right, and I felt like I was fighting it a bit. Plus I couldn't take it into sensitive clients and as most of my customers are military it left me not using it much. Can't wait to take delivery of this little bundle.

I really think this is the appeal of grabbing a cool pen. I'm not a luddite. There are a lot of advantages to writing and editing in Word or whatever. But it's too easy to forget that writing by hand has its advantages too. Any serious writing I've done (scientific papers, stuff for work, forum topics about Moxie, etc.), I've gone back and forth between typing and editing and writing by hand.

And if you are going to make a little push to do things by hand, it makes more sense to me to get a nice pen and paper and make that experience as nice as you can. A nice mechanical keyboard is on my wishlist for the same reason - if I'm typing, I want that experience to be pleasurable too. I'm looking at finding a typewriter to really cover all my bases. I like the feel and sound and look of typed pages. Maybe that will be a topic in a few months?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well since I'm just testing the waters out right now my amazon cart has this in it currently:

• Pilot Metropolitan
  • Rhodia Classic French Paper Pad

Anything else I should add to give this an okay test run?

linid0t

I'm thinking about picking up a TWSBI Vac700 with some Amazon credit. How are they? That vacuum mechanic looks pretty cool. I heard there was some issue with cracking plastic though? Don't really want it to explode and cover my stuff in ink haha. Also would I need to get that special bottle to fill it up properly?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

Oh good idea! I think I'll get some different colors for funsies and if I end up liking this I think I'll get that pretty cosmos one in the OP since that is just wonderful to look at.

EDIT: Looks like all the ones I clicked on say they're going to arrive in March and are shipped from out of country so I think I'll look at other stores while I go ahead and order the pen and pad.

I dunno, as a southpaw, my new pens haven't been _too_ smeary. Just need to not drag my disgusting, uncoordinated, wrong-wired limbs through the beautiful ink I'm laying down, and everything's fine. I still cry myself to sleep every night, but that would have happened anyway!

Oh good idea! I think I'll get some different colors for funsies and if I end up liking this I think I'll get that pretty cosmos one in the OP since that is just wonderful to look at.

EDIT: Looks like all the ones I clicked on say they're going to arrive in March and are shipped from out of country so I think I'll look at other stores while I go ahead and order the pen and pad.
If you're not overly attached to ordering from Amazon, I'd say to try and get them from another site like JetPens. Most of their prices are comparable, the con-50 is actually noticeably cheaper, and they have free and fast shipping over a low threshold price ($25 in the US). They have a ton of the Pilot Mixable Color ink cartridges if you're interested in those in particular. I haven't done a proper order from Goulet yet, but my first Ink Drop (ink sample subscription box) will be here tomorrow as well, super fast.

After watching the Pilot Parallel demonstration on Goulet, I want to buy them so much. The gradient color ability of those pens is something else! I can't think of anything practical to do with it though, so I'll wait until I have some frivolous spending money, like a major holiday or my birthday.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I'm thinking about picking up a TWSBI Vac700 with some Amazon credit. How are they? That vacuum mechanic looks pretty cool. I heard there was some issue with cracking plastic though? Don't really want it to explode and cover my stuff in ink haha. Also would I need to get that special bottle to fill it up properly?

The old 540 had some cracking issues. That was their first pen. I guess there can be issues with any TWSBI pen, but I had heard this problem had been largely fixed. I guess some people are still having parts crack, though.

TWSBI's customer service is great, so they'll replace anything that breaks. Getting ink everywhere is genuinely frightening, even for someone like me who has gotten ink on his cat multiple times. So...I dunno. I guess there is a risk of cracking, but my pens, and my friends' pens have all been fine.

The Vac700 is a cool pen and I love the vacuum filling mechanism. You don't need a special bottle to fill it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
If you're not overly attached to ordering from Amazon, I'd say to try and get them from another site like JetPens. Most of their prices are comparable, the con-50 is actually noticeably cheaper, and they have free and fast shipping over a low threshold price ($25 in the US). They have a ton of the Pilot Mixable Color ink cartridges if you're interested in those in particular. I haven't done a proper order from Goulet yet, but my first Ink Drop (ink sample subscription box) will be here tomorrow as well, super fast.

After watching the Pilot Parallel demonstration on Goulet, I want to buy them so much. The gradient color ability of those pens is something else! I can't think of anything practical to do with it though, so I'll wait until I have some frivolous spending money, like a major holiday or my birthday.

Yeah it looks like I'm going to order from them instead since they all have a nice selection of colors for the pen. (Red!)

I was wondering if people have a paper type preference and why? I'm flip flopping on the lined and grid right now since I'm not sure what the grids have to offer me and those dot grids look nice too.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!

I do all of my calligraphy with Parallel Pens. I love them. The ink gradient trick is indeed super cool!

You're just jealous you can't wank while using mouse and keyboard properly.

But seriously learning to write with a fountain pen was awful. I do still own one though, you get used to it.

YOU GET USED TO IT! YOU GET USED TO IT! I REFUSE

Yeah it looks like I'm going to order from them instead since they all have a nice selection of colors for the pen. (Red!)

I was wondering if people have a paper type preference and why? I'm flip flopping on the lined and grid right now since I'm not sure what the grids have to offer me and those dot grids look nice too.

Dots all day every day.

If anyone else is getting pads of paper, might I suggest picking up some Washi tapes as well?

Disclaimer: I don't work for JetPens, I just spend too much money there.

(The dotted one looks funny because I recycled it!)

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
If anyone else is getting pads of paper, might I suggest picking up some Washi tapes as well?

Disclaimer: I don't work for JetPens, I just spend too much money there.

Kitties. Yes.

That $25 free shipping at JetPens calls to me, like a Siren,

A siren with Japanese pens and paper.

This may not be a thing.

Twitters to follow:

Exaclair - US distributors of Rhodia, Clairefontaine, J. Herbin, among others. They run a lot of giveaways and offers for paper samples.

Right now: Win a Quo Vadis Habana notebook! Habana notebooks are sweet!

JetPens - Information on new releases, guides to various product types, frequent giveaways.

Goulet Pens - new releases, Brian Goulet answers your questions in videos, giveaways, lots of links to people reviewing inks and creating art

Just bought another Lamy Joy, but with 1.9mm nib, and three Diamine bottles--Sargasso Sea, Silver Fox, and Blue Lightning. Quivering with anticipation.

The Platinum Carbon Desk Pen is amazing and the carbon ink is waterproof so it's amazing for watercolour. It works perfectly on Tomoe River paper and so is just perfect for Hobonichi drawing.

I also use a Lamy Safari for more everyday usage... It's such a nice all round pen.

Airan

Your threads always pique my interest. I've been dabbling in digital art for years but recently I've come to enjoy doing pencil + paper work again (in part thanks to your paper thread!) - there's just that nice friction feel that can't be replicated on a tablet screen.

Unfortunately I'm a leftie, so fountain pens will just mean bad times :(

toff74

Your threads always pique my interest. I've been dabbling in digital art for years but recently I've come to enjoy doing pencil + paper work again (in part thanks to your paper thread!) - there's just that nice friction feel that can't be replicated on a tablet screen.

Plenty of Lefties in here pretty much denouncing the use of fountain pens!

My guess is that this ground in hatred comes from being forced to use cheap pens and toilet roll grade paper at schools when we were younger. Surely there are pens out there that are goo to use...

I've found a few sites witch are interesting.

Firstly, how do you write:

http://www.nibs.com/Left-hand%
20writers.htm

Ive come across all these. Personally Im a side writer pretty similar to #8.

Now on to the pens. You can go for a rounded nibbed pen that doesn't 'dig up' the paper as much or just go for it! Personally I'm just going for it with a standard nib. Still undecided which.

Kaweko DIA2

Lamy Studio

or

Faber E-Motion.

Can anyone advise on the above?

Thanks

Holy shit at the price increase on the Raden editions of the Vanishing Point...I got mine (the first they made) for less than half...

My Lamy Safari arrived today along with the converter and ink. The Rhodia pad will arrive in a few days. Using it in a regular pad seems OK, but I've always bought decent pads in the past.

The ink does seem to be very light, a lot lighter than I expected. I'll take some photos and maybe pop some under the microscope :)

Edit, some photos:

http://imgur.com/KyAHuZl[url] [url]...rved in my aesthetic tastes with such things.

I almost went with a Safari then a Metro but then just settled on a Preppy. Can't wait to try it out. I would've went with the Metro but I couldn't get over that ugly zebra stipe down the center of it. I'll probably upgrade to a Safari just because of the plain, clean look of it.

I use a pen all day so it's about time I got myself a nice one. Now that I think about it, I should re-learn how to write.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I used to have a Lamy Studio. Most amazing writing tool I've ever owned. But someone stole it from me and I've been super reluctant to buy another expensive writing device. I still have my bottle of Mont Blanc blue-black ink, too.

I should hunt down a cheaper alternative, though. I like really heavy pens with a M or B nib.

br3wnor

I use a pen all day so it's about time I got myself a nice one. Now that I think about it, I should re-learn how to write.

It's funny, I'm trying to get back into cursive myself because using the fountain pen made me realize how much more efficient it would be.

I take a lot of handwritten notes every day and after stumbling onto this thread a few weeks back, ended up buying a Pilot Metro, and WOW it's incredible. I'm still getting used to it, but I loooove the way it writes. I ordered two 12 packs of the ink cartridges so I'll hopefully be good for a while.

Few questions:
- One minor annoyance I have is if I lay the pen down on it's side, when I go to use it again, it sometimes takes like 5 or 6 strokes before the ink comes back. I'm assuming this is just due to the design of the pen? I'm assuming the capillaries have to let the ink flow down them before hitting the tip. If it's just something I have to deal w/ it's fine I just wondered if there's anything I can do to avoid this.

- 'Ink splash'. I've noticed sometimes the tip of my nib will get pretty inky and there can be a tendency to have little ink droplets fall out onto my desk of I leave the pen laying there. Is my best bet to just cap the pen any time I'm not actively using it? I tend to lay it down for minutes at a time and haven't been putting the cap on, but maybe that's best bet to stop this from happening.

Otherwise I love how the pen writes and plan to use it as my daily driver for the foreseeable future. I never would have even thought of trying a fountain pen out if it wasn't for this thread so much thanks to the OP!

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Just bought another Lamy Joy, but with 1.9mm nib, and three Diamine bottles--Sargasso Sea, Silver Fox, and Blue Lightning. Quivering with anticipation.

Diamine's J.Herbin-ripoff Shimmertastic inks are really fun! I got the sample pack from Goulet and have been having fun using them in my Hobonichi. Brandy Dazzle is wonderfully understated, while Blue Lightning is ridiculous and fun.

My Lamy Safari arrived today along with the converter and ink. The Rhodia pad will arrive in a few days. Using it in a regular pad seems OK, but I've always bought decent pads in the past.

The ink does seem to be very light, a lot lighter than I expected. I'll take some photos and maybe pop some under the microscope :)

Edit, some photos:

http://imgur.com/KyAHuZl
http://imgur.com/SVciNbd
http://imgur.com/XKr5MR4
http://imgur.com/gTOAlzU

Beautiful! Love your writing!

Lefties seem to find a way to make it work, but I don't really know how. But hey, at least you liked the paper thread!

Plenty of Lefties in here pretty much denouncing the use of fountain pens!

My guess is that this ground in hatred comes from being forced to use cheap pens and toilet roll grade paper at schools when we were younger. Surely there are pens out there that are goo to use...

I've found a few sites witch are interesting.

Firstly, how do you write:

http://www.nibs.com/Left-hand%
20writers.htm

Ive come across all these. Personally Im a side writer pretty similar to #8.

Now on to the pens. You can go for a rounded nibbed pen that doesn't 'dig up' the paper as much or just go for it! Personally I'm just going for it with a standard nib. Still undecided which.

Kaweko DIA2

Lamy Studio

or

Faber E-Motion.

Can anyone advise on the above?

Thanks

I really like Kaweco's offerings and want to add a Lilliput soon. I know people adore the Lamy Studio, but I don't have experience with anything higher-end than the Safari.

Tell us about whatever you pick up!

Your writing is so awesome, Lombax!

Holy shit at the price increase on the Raden editions of the Vanishing Point...I got mine (the first they made) for less than half...

It kills me. My matte black Vanishing Point is one of my favorite pens. I'd kill for a Raden and, at that price, I would have to to get the money for one. :(

I almost went with a Safari then a Metro but then just settled on a Preppy. Can't wait to try it out. I would've went with the Metro but I couldn't get over that ugly zebra stipe down the center of it. I'll probably upgrade to a Safari just because of the plain, clean look of it.

The basic Metros are solid black, solid silver, and solid gold. See Lombax's pic, above!

I used to have a Lamy Studio. Most amazing writing tool I've ever owned. But someone stole it from me and I've been super reluctant to buy another expensive writing device. I still have my bottle of Mont Blanc blue-black ink, too.

I should hunt down a cheaper alternative, though. I like really heavy pens with a M or B nib.

The Pilot Knight is one of my heavier pens. They retail for around $55, but Pen Chalet often has them for $30. They are a matte silver and only come in M nib. They have straight ends, unlike the rounded ends on the Metro. The nib is a step up, as well. That might be an affordable option to wade back into these (inky) waters.

Edit: Knight vs. Metropolitan.

It's funny, I'm trying to get back into cursive myself because using the fountain pen made me realize how much more efficient it would be.

I take a lot of handwritten notes every day and after stumbling onto this thread a few weeks back, ended up buying a Pilot Metro, and WOW it's incredible. I'm still getting used to it, but I loooove the way it writes. I ordered two 12 packs of the ink cartridges so I'll hopefully be good for a while.

Few questions:
- One minor annoyance I have is if I lay the pen down on it's side, when I go to use it again, it sometimes takes like 5 or 6 strokes before the ink comes back. I'm assuming this is just due to the design of the pen? I'm assuming the capillaries have to let the ink flow down them before hitting the tip. If it's just something I have to deal w/ it's fine I just wondered if there's anything I can do to avoid this.

- 'Ink splash'. I've noticed sometimes the tip of my nib will get pretty inky and there can be a tendency to have little ink droplets fall out onto my desk of I leave the pen laying there. Is my best bet to just cap the pen any time I'm not actively using it? I tend to lay it down for minutes at a time and haven't been putting the cap on, but maybe that's best bet to stop this from happening.

Otherwise I love how the pen writes and plan to use it as my daily driver for the foreseeable future. I never would have even thought of trying a fountain pen out if it wasn't for this thread so much thanks to the OP!

Some of my pens are more prone to that initial ink flow blip than others. I often give them a gentle shake with the cap on before writing. Otherwise, writing a quick line on a separate sheet of paper before writing helps prime things.

For the ink drops on the nib, I'm not sure. This is usually more of a thing with my pocket pens. Having them bang around in a pocket or bag can shake a little ink out. I don't really see this with my pens just lying on my desk, though. I keep my pens nib up when I am storing for any amount of time. That could help.

Otherwise, run a paper towel, tissue, or monogrammed handkerchief (for maximum classiness, have your butler do it) gently over the nib to catch those errant drops of ink.

Really glad you are enjoying your pen! It's a simple change to make in your writing that can make it so much more enjoyable!

The basic Metros are solid black, solid silver, and solid gold. See Lombax's pic, above!

Should've clarified. They don't offer the WHITE metros sans zebra print. Sorry.

I'm slightly annoyed I missed the same-day shipping by 10 minutes. Definitely bookmarking JetPens.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Should've clarified. They don't offer the WHITE metros sans zebra print. Sorry.

I'm slightly annoyed I missed the same-day shipping by 10 minutes. Definitely bookmarking JetPens.

Oh, gotcha.

I actually really like the white Metro. The stripes are kind of silly, but they don't stick out that much.

Maybe after the Retro Pop line, they'll consider solid colors? You could always ask PilotUSA or PilotUK on twitter.

linid0t

The old 540 had some cracking issues. That was their first pen. I guess there can be issues with any TWSBI pen, but I had heard this problem had been largely fixed. I guess some people are still having parts crack, though.

TWSBI's customer service is great, so they'll replace anything that breaks. Getting ink everywhere is genuinely frightening, even for someone like me who has gotten ink on his cat multiple times. So...I dunno. I guess there is a risk of cracking, but my pens, and my friends' pens have all been fine.

The Vac700 is a cool pen and I love the vacuum filling mechanism. You don't need a special bottle to fill it.

hmmm... very tempting...
Is it easy to switch nibs? I see they sell them separately. Usually I use F, but kinda want to try a M nib, and would like to be able to switch easy if I end up hating M.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
hmmm... very tempting...
Is it easy to switch nibs? I see they sell them separately. Usually I use F, but kinda want to try a M nib, and would like to be able to switch easy if I end up hating M.

Yes! The nib unit unscrews. I just swapped a medium for a fine on my orange 580. It could not be easier. :)

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I love these threads, so thank you, OP!

It was the original thread that convinced me to ask for a Lamy Safari a few years back for Christmas, and I absolutely adored it. I've since received a new one each Christmas in a different color, and I've loved my collection.

But now I'm ready to graduate to something better. Pens get up to the stratosphere in regard to cost, and so it's hard to tell where the writing instrument is getting truly better, vs just paying more in fancy casing.

I'd like to spend $100-$200, I think; on something that uses bottled ink - I'm eager to move away from cartridges.

Most important characteristics:

-It writes smoothly and offers an "every day writing" sized nib - I usually go for the med on Lamy.

-It's beautiful and catches the eye

-It's built to last

Any recommendations?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I love these threads, so thank you, OP!

It was the original thread that convinced me to ask for a Lamy Safari a few years back for Christmas, and I absolutely adored it. I've since received a new one each Christmas in a different color, and I've loved my collection.

But now I'm ready to graduate to something better. Pens get up to the stratosphere in regard to cost, and so it's hard to tell where the writing instrument is getting truly better, vs just paying more in fancy casing.

I'd like to spend $100-$200, I think; on something that uses bottled ink - I'm eager to move away from cartridges.

Most important characteristics:

-It writes smoothly and offers an "every day writing" sized nib - I usually go for the med on Lamy.

-It's beautiful and catches the eye

-It's built to last

Any recommendations?

I think every fountain pen fan should have a Pilot/Namiki Vanishing Point! The retractable nib makes it a great everyday pen. There are a zillion body styles to choose from, although some get quite pricey. My matte black VP cost under $150. It's a ridiculously well made pen. Mine is an M nib, which I quite like. I'll eventually drop a 1.1 stub nib in (they came out late last year). I think it comes with a con-50 converter.

A slimmer version, the Pilot Decimo is coming out soon!

My other high-end pen (relatively speaking - my VP is the priciest thing I own) is a Franklin-Christoph Model 27. With a custom ground nib, it was just shy of $100. That's the cheapest pen they offer. I love it so much. If I had the money, I'd grab another F-C pen right away. They all come with large converters.

My good buddy, and fellow fountain pen lover, CheeseCakeRecipe, has a Pilot Stargazer that he absolutely loves. Maybe he'll pop in to talk about it?

The TWSBI Vac700 is awesome, costs around $70, and has a huge ink reservoir.

The higher-end Lamys are well loved, too. 2000s and Studios go up on Massdrop pretty often.

There are just too many great choices in a $100-200 pen!

linid0t

I think every fountain pen fan should have a Pilot/Namiki Vanishing Point! The retractable nib makes it a great everyday pen. There are a zillion body styles to choose from, although some get quite pricey. My matte black VP cost under $150. It's a ridiculously well made pen. Mine is an M nib, which I quite like. I'll eventually drop a 1.1 stub nib in (they came out late last year). I think it comes with a con-50 converter.

A slimmer version, the Pilot Decimo is coming out soon!

My other high-end pen (relatively speaking - my VP is the priciest thing I own) is a Franklin-Christoph Model 27. With a custom ground nib, it was just shy of $100. That's the cheapest pen they offer. I love it so much. If I had the money, I'd grab another F-C pen right away. They all come with large converters.

My good buddy, and fellow fountain pen lover, CheeseCakeRecipe, has a Pilot Stargazer that he absolutely loves. Maybe he'll pop in to talk about it?

The TWSBI Vac700 is awesome, costs around $70, and has a huge ink reservoir.

The higher-end Lamys are well loved, too. 2000s and Studios go up on Massdrop pretty often.

There are just too many great choices in a $100-200 pen!

Decimo is already out, I have a silver-bodied model. It's really nice, although I don't have a regular sized one to compare to. I use it every day for class notes. Would recommend.

edit: well, it's out in Asia at least, maybe it's getting imported soon and that's what you mean?

Top Bottom