• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox orders new 24 pilot (all new characters, titled "24: Legacy")

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHA-Lambda

6fWgCov.png

bullshit he has, that is no way to leave his character

Some stuff from Comic Con. The panel itself hasn't been uploaded yet.

6fWgCov.png

Confused at all of the snippets, originally read that Kiefer was not interested in returning to the character so they went down this road instead.

As recently as last month someone from the production said that they were hopeful that Kiefer would appear as Bauer at some point during the season, negotiating with him at the time.

Now it's "Jack Bauer's story was told in LAD". Awful way to end the character imo, I'd have preferred the walking off to the sunrise ending from season 4 (always said it was the perfect way to finish). It was leaps and bounds better than his on the run ending in season 8. The ultimate ending I keep hearing about is him sacrificing his life for the country. Didn't envision that as being transported to another country via helicopter though.

Okay, Punished Tony has got me back in. The real question is what we will call this new 24? Is it still the Bauer Power-Hour without Bauer?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
That's cool. His scene on Live Another Day's DVD was such a tease.

I really hope the second season of this reboot is the new guy and Tony going to rescue Jack (only for the first few eps, the rest should be all three murdering everyone).

Jack doesn't need to be rescued, there's nowhere else to take the character. At the end of S9 he accepted his fate with dignity and stopped trying to run from the consequences of his actions.

A new cast can easily carry a strong format like 24 but from what I've seen the new lead looks a bit limp. It should have been Kate Morgan.

Giolon

I had no idea this was actually happening. It'll be interesting to see what they do with Tony given he's canonically a bad guy now. It's also too bad that they didn't run with Yvonne Strahovsky's character. The last season seemed like they were setting her up to be the torch bearer for the franchise.

liquidtmd

Banned
See my problem is, Kiefer WAS the show and none of the leads look particularly inspiring.

Zombie Almedia I can give or take, his prison escape was indeed a cool tease and behind the scenes episode directors and staff are very much the real deal from the show though.

However I can't shake the feeling that unless it's absolutely at the top of its game very quickly, I'll just be sat watching wishing I was seeing Tony lead Chloe et al in 24: Russian Prison Break, and that's even in context of me agreeing with the poster above that seeing Jack accept his fate was not terrible.

RS4-

Holy shit, Cuervo gold is back? Unexpected.

And what, I thought 24 would be back soon. Fuck waiting until superbowl

See my problem is, Kiefer WAS the show and none of the leads look particularly inspiring.

Zombie Almedia I can give or take, his prison escape was indeed a cool tease and behind the scenes episode directors and staff are very much the real deal from the show though.

However I can't shake the feeling that unless it's absolutely at the top of its game very quickly, I'll just be sat watching wishing I was seeing Tony lead Chloe et al in 24: Russian Prison Break, and that's even in context of me agreeing with the poster above that seeing Jack accept his fate was not terrible.

Maybe that'll be the following season. Get Jack Back.

I haven't been watching but does Designated Survivor capture some of that 24 feel? It doesn't seem like Kiefer would be presented with enough opportunities to brandish a gun and yell as POTUS.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I haven't been watching but does Designated Survivor capture some of that 24 feel? It doesn't seem like Kiefer would be presented with enough opportunities to brandish a gun and yell as POTUS.
The plot is as stupid/silly, with double/triple crosses. It even has a Kim Bauer dumb kid character. But President Bauer has to talk to people instead of shooting them.

liquidtmd

Banned
The plot is as stupid/silly, with double/triple crosses. It even has a Kim Bauer dumb kid character. But President Bauer has to talk to people instead of shooting them.

The show (Designated Survivor) is workmanlike but nothing special for me, or at least yet - I'm going to give the show time to breathe but currently the bolded is my problem. When you had this in 24 it was offset with the charisma of an experienced Bauer who both equally matched the increasingly ludicrous settings and 'sold' it. Kirkman just ultimately doesn't work in the same way, rightly or wrongly - it's not as interesting nor entertaining.

Given a situation, you could guarantee Bauer would play into audience power wish fulfillment - see a smirking Paedophile saying he's got immunity? Kirkman would go through the channels, Bauer reaches for the hacksaw. That sweetens the audience in bearing with the more tenuous plot points

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The show (Designated Survivor) is workmanlike but nothing special for me, or at least yet - I'm going to give the show time to breathe but currently the bolded is my problem. When you had this in 24 it was offset with the charisma of an experienced Bauer who both equally matched the increasingly ludicrous settings and 'sold' it. Kirkman just ultimately doesn't work in the same way, rightly or wrongly - it's not as interesting nor entertaining.

Given a situation, you could guarantee Bauer would play into audience power wish fulfillment - see a smirking Paedophile saying he's got immunity? Kirkman would go through the channels, Bauer reaches for the hacksaw. That sweetens the audience in bearing with the more tenuous plot points

I'm going to assume everyone is evil and he's going to use politics to somehow defeat them all and become King of America. I'm hoping his inevitable wins will be as cathartic as some of Bauer's more extreme responses anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom