• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox Sports Analyst Wants You to Hate Delta...Because His Kid Couldn't Fly With Lice

Syriel

Conservative pundits are doing a bang up job of making the Internet side with Delta.

First there was Ann Coulter who had a meltdown when she didn't get the exact seat she wanted.

This week it is Clay Travis, a lawyer and Fox Sports analyst from Nashville, who is downright furious that Delta wouldn't let him fly home once flight attendants discovered that one of his kids had an active head lice infestation.

Poor Travis was sooooooo MAD, he wrote a blog post about it, and got Fox News to cover it, hoping to get the big, bad, SOCIAL MEDIA DENIZENS to hate on Delta for him.

The father of three wrote that his wife noticed the couple's six-year-old was scratching his head while in line for the bathroom and, upon closer inspection, realized he had lice.

Apparently, her reaction caught the attention of Delta employees, who weren't too pleased with the boy's condition.

After the group made it through customs, another Delta employee told the family that they would not be allowed to fly and that they "must leave the airport immediately, find somewhere in the city to be treated for lice, obtain a clearance form that proves we had all been treated, and until we do that we will not be allowed to fly home on Delta."

At this point, Travis says he wasn't sure how big of a scene he wanted to cause, likening his situation to that of Dr. David Dao who was infamously dragged off a United Airlines flight in April. (Curiously, Travis had previously written about Dao's incident, in which he outright blamed the doctor for what happened to him.)

Needless to say, it backfired almost as spectacularly as Coulter's attempt.

capture1k6lr8.jpg

Source:
https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...e-gets-them-kicked-off-delta-flight/23049114/

Oh, and for bonus points, the Fox story confirms he knew his kids had been exposed to lice before they left for the trip.

They eventually left and headed toward customs, with the intention of boarding their connecting flight anyway, but “Nurse Ratched” returned with another official, who pulled his 6-year-old aside to confirm he had lice. (For the record, Travis said his sister’s children were suffering from lice just a few weeks prior, but added that his own kids had been treated with “all of the over-the-counter” lice treatments” before flying to Europe.)

Source:
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/...er-lice-incident-says-fox-sports-analyst.html

Greddleok

Guy gets upset that his kids can't fly home, due to a common and fairly innocuous childhood infection.

Is this really news? I'd be pissed too. Sure it's not a rational anger, but it rarely is when it comes to stuff like this.

Volimar

Head lice is one of those things. Even when you know you don't have it, just reading about it makes your head itch. Poor kid, he was probably embarrassed to death.

Preezy

There's an old saying in Tennessee—I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee—that says, 'Fool me once, shame on...shame on you. Fool me lice, ...shame on, shame on.... you can't get fooled again.

Greddleok

That wasn't worded very well. I meant to say do they only attack children?

The poster is suggesting it's a harmless childhood infection. They also clearly haven't been paying attention, lice are becoming immune to some over the counter products.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...lice-now-resistant-to-over-the-counter-remed/

Whether they are difficult to eradicate is essentially irrelevant. They're innocuous because they are transmitted only by head-to-head contact, which is easily preventable by the use of a hat, and don't carry or transmit infectious diseases. They're not nice, but they're practically harmless.

I'm more commenting on the fact that almost any parent in this situation would be angry, because having to miss a flight is frustrating. This guy just has a platform to vent on.

Strax

I'm with him

That's not something you want to advertise...

Is this dad stealth bullying his kid? lmao

I've never understood how people make lice such a huge thing, the stigma of getting lice is so strange. Yeah, of course it's not something you want but c'mon it's so common.

If I got lice from sharing a plane seat or bathroom with a knowingly infected child I would bury that fucking airline in litigation.

poodaddy

I'm with him

I've never understood how people make lice such a huge thing, the stigma of getting lice is so strange. Yeah, of course it's not something you want but c'mon it's so common.

I'm 30; never had it, and it's fucking disgusting to think he should be allowed on the flight with kids who would be spreading an infestation in a small controlled environment. Come on man. I got a 5 going on 6 year old so I'm ready for the lice and I know it's relatively common, but bet your ass I'll handle that shit privately and do my damndest not to spread it.

Dali

From a few replies itt as well as the asshole fox guy who knowingly tried to get his infested kid on the plane it's pretty clear delta has to have the policy because people won't do right on their own.

Apathy

Guy gets upset that his kids can't fly home, due to a common and fairly innocuous childhood infection.

Is this really news? I'd be pissed too. Sure it's not a rational anger, but it rarely is when it comes to stuff like this.

No one or their kids are special enough to be allowed in a plane when they know that have lice for the possibility that they could get others in that plane infected. Keep your kids at home, be a better parent that didn't allow your kids to get lice, stop being selfish and realize that once with lice your kids need to be kept away from others

GiJoccin

Yes, lice is disgusting, but people overreact to it so much. His kid has lice, he should be expected to treat it next chance he gets... And that's about it.

Schools in particular are the worst offenders with their no nit policies, some schools even contract with expensive manual lice removal and require parents have their kids checked before returning to school. Results in wasted money and valuable missed school time for the kids

Dali

Yes, lice is disgusting, but people overreact to it so much. His kid has lice, he should be expected to treat it next chance he gets... And that's about it.

Schools in particular are the worst offenders with their no nit policies, some schools even contract with expensive manual lice removal and require parents have their kids checked before returning to school. Results in wasted money and valuable missed school time for the kids
*rolls eyes*

And a business who has a policy against allowing people with a communicable infestation to travel with them shouldn't be expected to bend their rules just to make his life slightly easier.

Before Clay Travis was on the radio he wrote a couple of really good books. Dixieland Delight is fun book about SEC football, and On Rocky Top is an amazing inside look at the last season of Phil Fulmer at Tennessee . If you have any interest in college football they are worth reading.

That said I have since found out over the years that Travis as a person and a public figure is that the type of person I wouldn't associate with. For awhile I thought it was an act (trying to bring the shock jock persona to sports radio), but now I think it is who he really is. He is so cartoony at times that I feel like I am watching one of the asshole characters on South Park.

Clay Travis is a racist, sexist, all-around bigoted sack of pigshit, so I'm cool with anything that causes him outrage and public humiliation.

Owensboro

Of course it's Clay Travis. Man, I really liked his book Dixeland Delight, it's a shame he's turned out to be such a jerk.

**reads thread**

Holy shit, there's a head lice defense force. I....I don't know why I'm shocked.

Apathy

Of course it's Clay Travis. Man, I really liked his book Dixeland Delight, it's a shame he's turned out to be such a jerk.

**reads thread**

Holy shit, there's a head lice defense force. I....I don't know why I'm shocked.

I thought it was a joke when I first started, but over time it's abundantly clear that GAF has a defence force for everything.

Ah, lice. The one thing I really never have to worry about.

**reads thread**

Understand, etch this into your very soul do not dismiss this as a joke. THERE IS A DEFENSE FORCE FOR EVERYTHING on GAF.

Linkura

Fuck this entitled asshole. No one wants your kid's lice. Letting him on would have been a huge liability for Delta and a huge headache for the passengers.

hiro_x

I'm pretty sure they don't have a real lice policy...

Yes they do.

From their policy in their website: "5) When the passenger has a contagious disease that may be transmissible to other passengers
during the normal course of the flight;
"

Greddleok

No one or their kids are special enough to be allowed in a plane when they know that have lice for the possibility that they could get others in that plane infected. Keep your kids at home, be a better parent that didn't allow your kids to get lice, stop being selfish and realize that once with lice your kids need to be kept away from others

Really? Be a better parent? Do you have kids? Do you understand how lice are transferred?

GiJoccin

The guy found out his kid had lice on the plane

It's not something that's terribly contagious, stick them in a back row together, put the kid in a hair net, and treat the seat after you land, and nobody is at risk

Other than being really gross, lice don't really do anything other than make your head itchy

Instead you kick him off the plan? He's not at home, so now he has to go find a treatment for lice. OTC treatments he's tried, so that won't work, so he'd have to get a prescription for one or shell out 350 for one of the newer treatments, which takes at least one overnight to work, so he's out a hotel room for the night as well, missed work, all for a gross, but benign infection...

I'm guessing most people with outrage don't have kids who have lice

Apathy

Really? Be a better parent? Do you have kids? Do you understand how lice are transferred?

Yes I know how lice is transferred, I went to public schools, guess how many times I got lice. Yeah, zero. Know why, because my parents informed me of possible ways to have lice transfered and what to avoid. The schools also did routine checks and any time kids were found to have lice they got sent home and couldn't return to interact with other kids till they got a clean bill that they were lice free. It's not really that hard and it's also common sense

Risible

People get upset about lice not because they are dangerous but rather because they are a fucking nightmare to eradicate.

If you have long hair it's a gigantic pain in the ass to get rid of. When we were hit with it I just shaved my and my son's heads rather than deal with it, but my wife spent hours combing out my daughter's hair.

Also fucking lol at the guy above me equatung getting lice with bad parenting - lemme guess, you don't have kids?

ScribbleD

Same guy who attacked the doctor who was assaulted on the United flight complaining about getting bumped off of a flight for an actual justifiable reason. Love it.

Feel bad for his kid, though. It's gotta be mortifying enough being at the center of a scene like that, but then to have your dad use his platform to make a stink for the entire world? Yikes. Basically took a megaphone and shouted to everyone, "YEAH, MY KID HAS LICE, BUT SO WHAT?" Kids gonna get teased relentlessly in school.

Top Bottom