• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox Sports Analyst Wants You to Hate Delta...Because His Kid Couldn't Fly With Lice

Saganator

I'm guessing most people with outrage don't have kids who have lice

Correct, my kid does not have lice, nor would I be very happy if he contracted it while on a plane, especially if the airline knew about the person infested with lice and allowed them on the plane.

Demoskinos

If I got lice from sharing a plane seat or bathroom with a knowingly infected child I would bury that fucking airline in litigation.

Exactly. I can't blame Delta for wanting to protect all of its passengers and avoid any potential legal troubles that this would cause.

This is this guys problem. Does it suck an is incredibly inconvenient to get fixed? Sure. But guess what shit happens. Have a modicum of respect for everyone else around you.

Dali

Correct, my kid does not have lice, nor would I be very happy if he contracted it while on a plane, especially if the airline knew about the person infested with lice and allowed them on the plane.
They delouse inmates before tossing them into population in prison. Pretty funny to think some people want conditions on a commercial jet to be worse than a jail.

I mean, letting other people children potentially get infected with lice because your child was infected and still got taken into a small confined area like a frigging airplane then that's kind of an indictment on your parenting skills tbh.

I wouldn't do it with my son.

Greddleok

Just to note: I'm not blaming the airline, nor am I saying the kid should be allowed on, merely that this guy's reaction isn't particularly unexpected. A ton of people would be pissed off if their kid wasn't allowed on a flight with a harmless infection.

It's only news worthy because people already don't like him, he has a platform and people are willing to jump on him for anything he does.

Ryuuroden

Yes, lice is disgusting, but people overreact to it so much. His kid has lice, he should be expected to treat it next chance he gets... And that's about it.

Schools in particular are the worst offenders with their no nit policies, some schools even contract with expensive manual lice removal and require parents have their kids checked before returning to school. Results in wasted money and valuable missed school time for the kids

Its cause of people like you that my daughter has had lice four times and my other daughter once. When we find them we spend hours clearing out every nit and of course continue looking for the next 10 days, daily. Fuck the people with your nonchalant meh attitude. If you can easily find nits, that's a fucking problem. Also the lice chemicals doesn't kill the nits only live lice. You have to manually pick them out by hand and comb. Please schools and daycares, send those kids home every time. Also when we find out our kid has lice. We spend hours that night clearing out their hair that night and their has not been a single time the school has not cleared them the next day to let them return. So obviously if you spend a little time actually giving a shit instead of shrugging your shoulders and complaining about the school and doing nothing you can fulfill their request and not lose school time. Your kids miss school time, that's you sucking not them and we are able to do this in a night even though both the wife and I work all day so its not like we are privalidged with time.

andthebeatgoeson

So they knew their family had cooties and wasn't proactive. He sounds like a douchebag.

Do black people get lice? For the life of me, I've never had this problem with mine nor have i heard of it with black kids.

Just to note: I'm not blaming the airline, nor am I saying the kid should be allowed on, merely that this guy's reaction isn't particularly unexpected. A ton of people would be pissed off if their kid wasn't allowed on a flight with a harmless infection.

It's only news worthy because people already don't like him, he has a platform and people are willing to jump on him for anything he does.
I hear ya. The only thing I disagree with is how much you minimize the impact of lice. There's the annoyance, inconvenience, and cost of the treatment, in addition to the social stigma if your kid introduces it to another population of kids. If by "harmless" you mean only that it doesn't pose a health risk, I agree, but there's more to the "harm" than that.

Given that, I have a hard time understanding how someone could feel they are so in the right that they would think people would side with them if they publicized the incident. I understand feeling frustrated in the moment, but this guy is out of touch with reality if he thought folks would agree with him.

Ryuuroden

Yes, treated it with over the counter options and thought it was gone

Cause he's one of those fucking idiots who doesn't know the chemicals only kill live lice, not the eggs. You have to take those out by hand combing through every strand of hair. If his kid is a boy with short hair, fuck him to hell because its fucking easy to do with boys. It can take up to five hours or more with girls with long hair. You also need to continue looking for nits every day for 10 days post treatment. 1 egg missed is reinfection.

Its cause of people like you that my daughter has had lice four times and my other daughter once. When we find them we spend hours clearing out every nit and of course continue looking for the next 10 days, daily. Fuck the people with your nonchalant meh attitude. If you can easily find nits, that's a fucking problem. Also the lice chemicals doesn't kill the nits only live lice. You have to manually pick them out by hand and comb. Please schools and daycares, send those kids home every time. Also when we find out our kid has lice. We spend hours that night clearing out their hair that night and their has not been a single time the school has not cleared them the next day to let them return. So obviously if you spend a little time actually giving a shit instead of shrugging your shoulders and complaining about the school and doing nothing you can fulfill their request and not lose school time. Your kids miss school time, that's you sucking not them and we are able to do this in a night even though both the wife and I work all day so its not like we are privalidged with time.
I got lice at school but my mom didn't have a lot of time to treat it (single mom, working multiple jobs and whatnot), so to make it easier she shaved my head and then treated. Sigh... So, I don't easily dismiss lice as a "harmless" thing to be ignored.

People are like it's so innocuous. I bet your ass you wouldn't knowingly buy a plane ticket if you had to be in close quarters with someone for hours.

I seriously can't believe people are apparently into lice.

platocplx

ITT: People who are outing themselves as nasty mfers. Lice isnt that common. never had them. 70% of people never get lice. Some of you are disgusting that you would try to normalize this shit.

Then again there is a defense force for everything. Im glad they didnt let this asshole on this flight.

GiJoccin

There are chemicals that kill the nits too, the newer ones do

Sounds like you do everything right with handling the nits

By missed school time I meant sending them home early

I'm a pediatrician, so while I'm sure you would never bring your children to see me based off of my stance, I'm following aap guidelines

https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the...ges/aap-updates-treatments-for-head-lice.aspx

Sorry I'm on mobile so having a tough time make in it a link

Ryuuroden

Lol gaf has a defense force for EVERYTHING.

When does it not....you would think their would be some universal agreements, but what do I know, there is even a flat earth defense force here and that's not even an egregious one like the pedo defence force, its a fucking moronic one.

ramparter

Banned
I'm with him

I've never understood how people make lice such a huge thing, the stigma of getting lice is so strange. Yeah, of course it's not something you want but c'mon it's so common.

And so easily treatable, I remember they were just washing our hair with some pharmaceutical shampoo and the lice were gone.

Greddleok

I hear ya. The only thing I disagree with is how much you minimize the impact of lice. There's the annoyance, inconvenience, and cost of the treatment, in addition to the social stigma if your kid introduces it to another population of kids. If by "harmless" you mean only that it doesn't pose a health risk, I agree, but there's more to the "harm" than that.

Given that, I have a hard time understanding how someone could feel they are so in the right that they would think people would side with them if they publicized the incident. I understand feeling frustrated in the moment, but this guy is out of touch with reality if he thought folks would agree with him.

By harmless I mean they pose no risk of infectious diseases and are not dangerous to health. They suck and are gross, but they're not dangerous.

I agree, he's just displaying himself as a frustrated parent who's now having to deal with rebooking flights, finding a hotel, and dealing with the fallout of missing a flight. It sucks, I'd be angry too, but I don't have a platform, and I don't have a name, so the only person who'd hear me being frustrated is the poor fight attendant just doing their job.

By harmless I mean they pose no risk of infectious diseases and are not dangerous to health. They suck and are gross, but they're not dangerous.

I agree, he's just displaying himself as a frustrated parent who's now having to deal with rebooking flights, finding a hotel, and dealing with the fallout of missing a flight. It sucks, I'd be angry too, but I don't have a platform, and I don't have a name, so the only person who'd hear me being frustrated is the poor fight attendant just doing their job.
Makes sense. Would you think that others would side with you, though? That feels out of touch.

I think all our UT grad mods should have their tags changed to Boomer Sooner in shame.

I think you are thinking of the wrong UT. Travis, while he graduated from Vanderbilt, is a University of Tennessee fan not a Texas fan. That said almost ever Tennessee fan I know (I live in Knoxville) hates him.

Socivol

I saw this when it happened and he is such an asshole about it. The very definition of a snowflake. I'm sure he had no qualms when other ridiculous (and valid) airline stories cane out but what sympathy because something (rightfully) happened to him.

Socivol

I think you are thinking of the wrong UT. Travis, while he graduated from Vanderbilt, is a University of Tennessee fan not a Texas fan. That said almost ever Tennessee fan I know (I live in Knoxville) hates him.
I'm a UT alum and I have his ass blocked. He's a bigot and a racist.

NeonBlack

What's the big problem? Everyone I know has them and we have parties where we trade them.

/s

I've never had lice and don't intend too. Don't play this off as small.

Greddleok

Makes sense. Would you think that others would side with you, though? That feels out of touch.

If you step back and look at it logically, no, of course no one would side with me. However, in the moment frustration and anger would take over.

I remember missing a flight due to over booking. It's an incredibly frustrating experience. Compounding to that, saying "your child cannot board" would make any parent go on the defensive.

br3wnor

Don’t have kids but lice is fucking disgusting and I really hope my future kids never get it because it’s fucking disgusting.

Delta did right thing here, keep your kids scourge off a crowded plane where those mites can infect other people because you couldn’t be bothered to make sure the lice was taken care of.

New002

Is he more or less angry than he would be if he got lice from someone else's child on the flight (whom Delta knew about and let board)?

So they knew their family had cooties and wasn't proactive. He sounds like a douchebag.

Do black people get lice? For the life of me, I've never had this problem with mine nor have i heard of it with black kids.

It's very hard for us to get lice due to the shape of our hair follicles. There's a strand of lice that have adapted to our hair follicle in Africa but even then it's still hard for them so they're still not as prevalent.

I'm with him

I've never understood how people make lice such a huge thing, the stigma of getting lice is so strange. Yeah, of course it's not something you want but c'mon it's so common.

Yeah, it'd be a lot more common if kids with lice were allowed onto a plane for a couple of hours to infest a couple of hundred people.

If you step back and look at it logically, no, of course no one would side with me. However, in the moment frustration and anger would take over.

I remember missing a flight due to over booking. It's an incredibly frustrating experience. Compounding to that, saying "your child cannot board" would make any parent go on the defensive.
Yes, I totally agree with you but that's a reasonable response in the moment, although it might not be my own. But this guy goes on to talk about this on his platform well after the incident, which tells me that he really believed that people would side with him even after he had the opportunity to think about it. That feels bafflingly out of touch.

Top Bottom