• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox Sports Analyst Wants You to Hate Delta...Because His Kid Couldn't Fly With Lice

GiJoccin

I mean planes are pretty cramped. Is it really unlikely that lice might spread with people squeezed in like sardines?

no, it's not unlikely it could spread to the people next to him, but why not just sit him next to his family members in the back row or something rather than strand the entire family in a city that's not their home?

i'm not saying the guy isn't a jerkwad, and he should have known better than to turn to social media / his platform for sympathy/outrage

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
No one or their kids are special enough to be allowed in a plane when they know that have lice for the possibility that they could get others in that plane infected. Keep your kids at home, be a better parent that didn't allow your kids to get lice, stop being selfish and realize that once with lice your kids need to be kept away from others

Absolute fuckery right here.

I'm with him

I've never understood how people make lice such a huge thing, the stigma of getting lice is so strange. Yeah, of course it's not something you want but c'mon it's so common.

I've never had them in my life and would be pissed if some shit head gave them to me on a flight.

Don't share your parasites. It's not that difficult

andthebeatgoeson

8a27kx1.png

Oh shit.

Exactly. I can't blame Delta for wanting to protect all of its passengers and avoid any potential legal troubles that this would cause.

This is this guys problem. Does it suck an is incredibly inconvenient to get fixed? Sure. But guess what shit happens. Have a modicum of respect for everyone else around you.
Perfectly said. Delta is watching out for the 200+ others on this flight, PLUS the passengers on following flights that could have picked up lice by sitting in this kids seat.
Also think of the hotels in Europe where these people stayed. I hope they saw this story and bug bomb those rooms.

Edit 2: Right thread bleh I need my caffeine this morning >_<

Lice is terrible, thankfully it's been over a decade since I last had to deal with it but I do wonder if those saying it's not a big deal have long hair or have had to help get rid of it from someone with long hair because it's a huge pain to say the least. When I last had it I was a little girl and maybe OTC products have advanced since the early 2000's but my mother had to spend hours daily with that comb that came with the lice shampoo kits picking out everything she could get and the process too weeks to complete. School also wouldn't let you come back until you got a letter from a doctor saying you were lice free, was a huge headache in many ways and I'm thankful I've yet to ever have to deal with it again.

Volimar

Lice are definitely a headache, but it's just something that you might have to deal with as a parent. It's really no different than when kids spread things like chicken pox or a cold, it just has a reputation for being something only dirty people get which is completely untrue. All that said, I'm totally fine with the airline looking out for other passengers on this.

Stinkles

Here in Seattle the conditions are PERFECT for lice. Most elementary schoolers we know have gotten it at LEAST once. There's actually a bunch of businesses set up to deal with it, so you can take your kid to a kind of barber and they'll eliminate the infestation in a single half hour session.

To the absolute drooling moron saying it's caused by bad parenting, shut up and never type anything about parenting at all. Or disease vectors. or kids. Or physics. You idiot.

Lice is spread by kids playing with each other. Or standing near each other. Or sitting beside each other.

The one bad parenting accusation that has some merit is that in every class/school there's a kid who's idiot fucking parents insist on using natural remedies and trying to do it themselves. In our case it is the poor kid of a couple of vaxxers. Basically they have a kid that seldom if ever recovers from lice infestations because his parents are clownfarts.

And so that kid is basically typhoid Mary for lice. For years.

Apathy

Here in Seattle the conditions are PERFECT for lice. Most elementary schoolers we know have gotten it at LEAST once. There's actually a bunch of businesses set up to deal with it, so you can take your kid to a kind of barber and they'll eliminate the infestation in a single half hour session.

To the absolute drooling moron saying it's caused by bad parenting, shut up and never type anything about parenting at all. Or disease vectors. or kids. Or physics. You idiot.

Lice is spread by kids playing with each other. Or standing near each other. Or sitting beside each other.

The one bad parenting accusation that has some merit is that in every class/school there's a kid who's idiot fucking parents insist on using natural remedies and trying to do it themselves. In our case it is the poor kid of a couple of vaxxers. Basically they have a kid that seldom if ever recovers from lice infestations because his parents are clownfarts.

Good job, in your own fucking post you contradict yourself that bad parenting is not a good excuse and then say it is. If you got a problem with what I said keep it to your damn self. You want to insult me jackass, message me and I'll tell you where to go shove it there. You want to get you're shorts twisted up because of a comment I didn't even direct at you, grown up. You aren't special cause you had kids and I can criticise bad patenting, like in this case, for not getting rid of their kids lice and expecting the world to bend to their desire desires because of it. Stop taking generalities as if they are directed at you, says more about you that you wouldn't pass a comment like that by if it didn't apply to you.

Conservative pundits are doing a bang up job of making the Internet side with Delta.

First there was Ann Coulter who had a meltdown when she didn't get the exact seat she wanted.

This week it is Clay Travis, a lawyer and Fox Sports analyst from Nashville, who is downright furious that Delta wouldn't let him fly home once flight attendants discovered that one of his kids had an active head lice infestation.

Poor Travis was sooooooo MAD, he wrote a blog post about it, and got Fox News to cover it, hoping to get the big, bad, SOCIAL MEDIA DENIZENS to hate on Delta for him.

Needless to say, it backfired almost as spectacularly as Coulter's attempt.

capture1k6lr8.jpg

Source:
https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...e-gets-them-kicked-off-delta-flight/23049114/

Oh, and for bonus points, the Fox story confirms he knew his kids had been exposed to lice before they left for the trip.

Source:
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/...er-lice-incident-says-fox-sports-analyst.html

Calling the woman checking for lice Nurse Ratched is especially distasteful

Stinkles

Good job, in your own fucking post you contradict yourself that bad parenting is not a good excuse and then say it is. If you got a problem with what I said keep it to your damn self. You want to insult me jackass, message me and I'll tell you where to go shove it there. You want to get you're shorts twisted up because of a comment I didn't even direct at you, grown up. You aren't special cause you had kids and I can criticise bad patenting, like in this case, for not getting rid of their kids lice and expecting the world to bend to their desire desires because of it. Stop taking generalities as if they are directed at you, says more about you that you wouldn't pass a comment like that by if it didn't apply to you.

I'm sorry you are being bullied on an internet video game forum for the words you yourself typed.

I have not yet patented my kid, but when I do I will give you the patent number and you can file an objection.

GiJoccin

every case of lice isn't due to bad parenting, it's just a reality of childhood, they're dirty little germ monsters.

bad parenting would be not taking care of the issue promptly once you're aware of it

so the question is whether these parents knew about it ahead of time (the article says that the kid's mom made a scene when she realized there were lice there, which implies to me she wasn't aware of it earlier)

i could go into the realities of treating lice, but you don't seem to care to know that

Syriel

Calling the woman checking for lice Nurse Ratched is especially distasteful

There is something wholly amusing about a conservative (who typically calls for other people to bow down to those in power) invoking a symbol of everything that is wrong with an all-powerful system of authority, but aside from the "do as I say, not as I do" bit, why is it "especially distasteful?"

It's not like conservative pundits aren't regularly full of hypocrisy.

robochimp

no, it's not unlikely it could spread to the people next to him, but why not just sit him next to his family members in the back row or something rather than strand the entire family in a city that's not their home?

i'm not saying the guy isn't a jerkwad, and he should have known better than to turn to social media / his platform for sympathy/outrage

They knew he had lice before they left the US. They got caught on their way back. If it's a specific written policy, the airline must really not want to have to pull a jumbo jet out of service to decontaminate it.

every case of lice isn't due to bad parenting, it's just a reality of childhood, they're dirty little germ monsters.

bad parenting would be not taking care of the issue promptly once you're aware of it

so the question is whether these parents knew about it ahead of time (the article says that the kid's mom made a scene when she realized there were lice there, which implies to me she wasn't aware of it earlier)

i could go into the realities of treating lice, but you don't seem to care to know that

He states that his sister's kids had it and he used lice killing shampoo on his own kids pre vacation. You do that because your kids have lice.

MicH

Yes, treated it with over the counter options and thought it was gone
Really? This is not an excuse, this only shows poor judgment and parenting skills.

Can't believe people are defending this, what the hell. Guess I shouldn't expect otherwise on GAF.

GiJoccin

Really? This is not an excuse, this only shows poor judgment and parenting skills.

Can't believe people are defending this, what the hell. Guess I shouldn't expect otherwise on GAF.

no, you treat it with over the counter treatments. if you miss a nit, you can notice the lice a few days/weeks later. it's not that hard to miss a nit, they're small, it happens and you do the best you can

Slayven

You are a varied and learned man

No they don't. But children heads are more often in contact with other children heads because of the way they play.

Children also tend to have thicker hair than most adults. They are generally worse targets for headlice. There is aslo a concern that lice can cause infections in other regions of the globe just by the kid carrying them there on his head.

Deltas headlice policy just seems like common sense to me. Dunno whatelse to say.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
What the fuck @ ppl defending this shit. Oh GAF...

I'm pretty sure the guy "defending this shit" is a paediatrician whose opinion is in line with the American Academy of Pediatrics. Would you care to expound a little bit on your opinion on this matter?

I'm pretty sure the guy "defending this shit" is a paediatrician whose opinion is in line with the American Academy of Pediatrics. Would you care to expound a little bit on your opinion on this matter?
That's my understanding, looking this stuff up to be sure. Lice is spread through head-to head contact/sharing combs and using them on multiple children in short proximity (as head lice can't survive away from an actual head for long as they feed on blood and will quickly starve). That's why it's most common in children: because of their style of play, which often involves head-to-head contact, and also why it's less common in adults.

That being the case, I don't really understand Delta's policy and the need to essentially quarantine individuals with lice until it's gone. What's the method of transmission here? On a plane, people are in close proximity to each other, but not so close that head-to-head contact should be a thing, especially if they just have an aisle to them themselves and it's not like you can just go running around all over the place on a plane to begin with. So, what's the worry? What's the mode of transmission that makes it such a big deal that they can't be let on the plane period? Because the AAP don't even recommend keeping children with lice out of school because the threat they pose, which being absolutely obnoxious, isn't worth children missing valuable time in school. And if they, the actual professionals and experts in the matter, don't recommend keeping kids out of school for lice, where they're much more likely to come into direct contact with each other (particularly during PE/recess) and spread it, then a plane seems even more eh since they're stuck seatbelted in place most of the flight.

Again, I ask, what exactly are people worried about in the hypothetical case that the kid was let on that would lead to them catching lice personally from him? Quoting the CDC on this:
https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/lice/head/gen_info/faqs.html
Head lice move by crawling; they cannot hop or fly. Head lice are spread by direct contact with the hair of an infested person. Anyone who comes in head-to-head contact with someone who already has head lice is at greatest risk. Spread by contact with clothing (such as hats, scarves, coats) or other personal items (such as combs, brushes, or towels) used by an infested person is uncommon. Personal hygiene or cleanliness in the home or school has nothing to do with getting head lice.
Can head lice be spread by sharing sports helmets or headphones?

Head lice are spread most commonly by direct contact with the hair of an infested person. Spread by contact with inanimate objects and personal belongings may occur but is very uncommon. Head lice feet are specially adapted for holding onto human hair. Head lice would have difficulty attaching firmly to smooth or slippery surfaces like plastic, metal, polished synthetic leathers, and other similar materials.

Can wigs or hair pieces spread lice?

Head lice and their eggs (nits) soon perish if separated from their human host. Adult head lice can live only a day or so off the human head without blood for feeding. Nymphs (young head lice) can live only for several hours without feeding on a human. Nits (head lice eggs) generally die within a week away from their human host and cannot hatch at a temperature lower than that close to the human scalp. For these reasons, the risk of transmission of head lice from a wig or other hairpiece is extremely small, particularly if the wig or hairpiece has not been worn within the preceding 48 hours by someone who is actively infested with live head lice.
To be clear, lice are annoying as fuck. I don't mean to say otherwise. But that said, given the information above (the fact that pretty much all they do is just make themselves annoying to get rid of once you have them and moreover that the only way to get them in the first place is by direct context) for individuals with head lice to be completely barred from flying seems a disproportionate response to me. At least considering the information available to me from experts such as the AAP and CDC.

Of course, if anyone has any information that isn't just "head lice is terrible and I don't want it" I'm definitely open to it because I'm always open to new information and make no claims to know everything, particularly since I personally almost never fly (haven't done so in like over 15 years, since I myself was a kid) and something like that could easily have something to do with the disconnect for me. But as far as lice itself goes yeah, no duh, not disagreeing that it's obnoxious. But given the method of transmission and relative threat, and trying to understand the actual science of it and process the recommendations of pediatricians/epidemiologists/and other medical professionals who's whole jobs is studying this stuff, completely refusing their ability to fly just seems like hysteria to me and not trying to or caring to understand the actual science of how it's actually spread at all.

On an aside, either way, I wish the energy people have regarding the subject of lice could be bottled up and transferred to say flu vaccines. If people were as passionate about getting vaccinated as most people seem to be regarding lice, now that would be something. But alas...

I'm astonished there are people here saying he should have been allowed on the flight. Lice are a huge pain, and spread far easier than I think some realize.

I get especially irritated at parents who find out their kids have lice, and yet still put their kids around other people. Back when I was a kid I got lice cause some dumb parent sent their lice ridden kid to day care, and she got ticked off when they found out and wouldn't let the kid stay there.

Dali

That's my understanding, looking this stuff up to be sure. Lice is spread through head-to head contact/sharing combs and using them on multiple children in short proximity (as head lice can't survive away from an actual head for long as they feed on blood and will quickly starve). That's why it's most common in children: because of their style of play, which often involves head-to-head contact, and also why it's less common in adults.

That being the case, I don't really understand Delta's policy and the need to essentially quarantine individuals with lice until it's gone. What's the method of transmission here? On a plane, people are in close proximity to each other, but not so close that head-to-head contact should be a thing, especially if they just have an aisle to them themselves and it's not like you can just go running around all over the place on a plane to begin with. So, what's the worry? What's the mode of transmission that makes it such a big deal that they can't be let on the plane period? Because the AAP don't even recommend keeping children with lice out of school because the threat they pose, which being absolutely obnoxious, isn't worth children missing valuable time in school. And if they, the actual professionals and experts in the matter, don't recommend keeping kids out of school for lice, where they're much more likely to come into direct contact with each other (particularly during PE/recess) and spread it, then a plane seems even more eh since they're stuck seatbelted in place most of the flight.

Again, I ask, what exactly are people worried about in the hypothetical case that the kid was let on that would lead to them catching lice personally from him? Quoting the CDC on this:
https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/lice/head/gen_info/faqs.html

To be clear, lice are annoying as fuck. I don't mean to say otherwise. But that said, given the information above (the fact that pretty much all they do is just make themselves annoying to get rid of once you have them and moreover that the only way to get them in the first place is by direct context) for individuals with head lice to be completely barred from flying seems a disproportionate response to me. At least considering the information available to me from experts such as the AAP and CDC.

Of course, if anyone has any information that isn't just "head lice is terrible and I don't want it" I'm definitely open to it because I'm always open to new information and make no claims to know everything, particularly since I personally almost never fly (haven't done so in like over 15 years, since I myself was a kid) and something like that could easily have something to do with the disconnect for me. But as far as lice itself goes yeah, no duh, not disagreeing that it's obnoxious. But given the method of transmission and relative threat, and trying to understand the actual science of it and process the recommendations of pediatricians/epidemiologists/and other medical professionals who's whole jobs is studying this stuff, completely refusing their ability to fly just seems like hysteria to me and not trying to or caring to understand the actual science of how it's actually spread at all.

On an aside, either way, I wish the energy people have regarding the subject of lice could be bottled up and transferred to say flu vaccines. If people were as passionate about getting vaccinated as most people seem to be regarding lice, now that would be something. But alas...
You missed this part on ways lice can spread:

haring clothing (hats, scarves, coats, sports uniforms) or articles (hair ribbons, barrettes, combs, brushes, towels, stuffed animals) recently worn or used by an infested person;
or lying on a bed, couch, pillow, or carpet that has recently been in contact with an infested person

Pretty sure the seat of an aircraft can be counted among the bolded.

GiJoccin

You missed this part on ways lice can spread:

Pretty sure the seat of an aircraft can be counted among the bolded.

yeah, that's CDC saying that technically it can be spread that way, it's just much harder to spread that way. they say multiple times that the usual transmission route is direct contact with hair

Syriel

yeah, that's CDC saying that technically it can be spread that way, it's just much harder to spread that way. they say multiple times that the usual transmission route is direct contact with hair

You are correct.

However airline seats are also high turnover.

A plane is going to be on the ground with less than 30-60 minutes of empty seat time from the previous head to the new head.

Dali

You know an even less likely way to spread them? Keeping someone with an infestation off the plane.

I wouldn't want someone with the flu coming to work even if they wear a mask either.

(Curiously, Travis had previously written about Dao's incident, in which he outright blamed the doctor for what happened to him.)

Sounds about right! Complete asshole with not a shred of empathy or caring for anyone else, until he's inconvenienced (even if he was the one in the wrong).

Sucks that you have to reschedule flights, get a hotel room, and then get you and your family's hair certified clean but no one wants to deal with getting lice. Yeah, lice won't kill you but they're a pain in the ass to deal with. Switch it to bed bugs or whatever else, same thing.

Yes, lice is disgusting, but people overreact to it so much. His kid has lice, he should be expected to treat it next chance he gets... And that's about it.

Schools in particular are the worst offenders with their no nit policies, some schools even contract with expensive manual lice removal and require parents have their kids checked before returning to school. Results in wasted money and valuable missed school time for the kids
Since you're speaking from a position of expertise and some authority (you're a pediatrician, right?), it would probably serve you well to back up your claims with some empirical evidence, especially when you know what you're typing out is going to appear controversial and provoke a knee-jerk response. For example, whether the typical school lice policies have been found to be more harmful than beneficial.

Edit: ah, I see that's already being expounded on. Carry on.

GiJoccin

Since you're speaking from a position of expertise and some authority (you're a pediatrician, right?), it would probably serve you well to back up your claims with some empirical evidence, especially when you know what you're typing out is going to appear controversial and provoke a knee-jerk response. For example, whether the typical school lice policies have been found to be more harmful than beneficial.

Edit: ah, I see that's already being expounded on. Carry on.

i didn't think this was the thread to start linking papers in, i would think the AAP consensus guidelines enough (but i doubt that was read by many)

and yeah, i expected the 'lice defense force' comments, i don't think any amount of links or evidence would change people's knee jerk responses - lice are just gross, i found a kid had lice while on inpatient, and the nurse and i donned basically respiratory precautions to treat the kid

i didn't think this was the thread to start linking papers in, i would think the AAP consensus guidelines enough

and yeah, i expected the 'lice defense force' comments, i don't think any amount of links or evidence would change people's knee jerk responses - lice are just gross, i found a kid had lice while on inpatient, and the nurse and i donned basically respiratory precautions to treat the kid
Sure, but your original post didn't mention AAP consensus guidelines. You could've just posted this along with your original post:
CDcu5hC.png

And a link to AAP's clinical paper. 'Tis all I'm suggesting.
Changed my opinion on the topic, now that I'm better informed.

And I'm going to assume you meant contact precautions, when you mention respiratory precautions. The latter to me just means a mask, not a gown/gloves.

Media

Whether they are difficult to eradicate is essentially irrelevant. They're innocuous because they are transmitted only by head-to-head contact, which is easily preventable by the use of a hat, and don't carry or transmit infectious diseases. They're not nice, but they're practically harmless.

I'm more commenting on the fact that almost any parent in this situation would be angry, because having to miss a flight is frustrating. This guy just has a platform to vent on.

As a mom who had to deal with lice twice because my kids picked it up school, you couldn't be more wrong. Those fuckers get into everything. Getting rid of them is almost as hard as clearing a bed bug infestation. I'm lucky I was able to shave the boys's heads but my daughter was harder to battle. We had to heat treat everything.

If one kid in a class gets it, they pretty much all end up with it.

Nit shampoo doesn't work on nits anymore, they have evolved. You need a nit comb. Lather up that hair and comb out every strand with the comb removing all the nits and their eggs. Do this for three days running.

Top Bottom