• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank Darabont writing and directing 'The Walking Dead' series for AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Costanza

Banned
Frank Darabont circles zombies
AMC attacks comic series adaptation

AMC is venturing into zombie-drama territory with multi-hyphenate Frank Darabont.

Cabler is close to finalizing one of the richest development deals ever with Darabont to write and direct a series adaptation of the Image Comics graphic novel series "The Walking Dead," penned by Robert Kirkman. Gale Anne Hurd of Valhalla Pictures and David Alpert of Circle of Confusion are also on board to exec produce.

Project is set among a group of zombie survivors of an apocalypse who are led by a police officer, Rick Grimes, in search of a safe place to live. Numerous editions of the "Walking Dead" graphic novels have been published since 2003.

Joel Stillerman, AMC's senior veep of programming, production and original content, said the project appealed to the cabler because of "the quality of the storytelling" in Kirkman's work. The series will stay faithful to the tone of the original novels, he said.

"This is not about zombies popping out of closets," Stillerman said. "This is a story about survival, and the dynamics of what happens when a group is forced to survive under these circumstances. The world (in 'Walking Dead') is portrayed in a smart, sophisticated way."

Stillerman noted that the cabler's annual "Fear Fest" movie showcase around Halloween is one of AMC's most popular programming events of the year.

"We've got an audience that loves this kind of material," he said.

Darabont and Hurd pitched the project to AMC and several other outlets. There is no studio attached yet. The duo's involvement made the project a must-have for the cabler, Stillerman said.

"These are two world-class filmmakers who are also brilliant storytellers with experience in the fantasy genre," he said.

Source

omg

Wonderful news, though I haven't read "The Walking Dead" but I plan to. I wasn't familiar with Frank Darabont, so I looked him up. They're doing an Illustrated Man movie? Fuck yeah!

Holy crap awesome!

I just recently had a conversation about how they should make a zombies tv series (that isnt a mini series). Better late than never.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I have a feeling that this is already going to be considered one of the best shows on television since so far AMC is 2 for 2 (haven't watched Mad Men yet but probably will start again after the third season is over).

Stairs

Banned
Hot damn! This is great news. Although, I hope Darabont is still planning on directing the film adaptation of Stephen King's The Long Walk.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Stairs said:
Hot damn! This is great news. Although, I hope Darabont is still planning on directing the film adaptation of Stephen King's The Long Walk.

I think it is going to be revealed that when Stephen King dies that Darabont is his film alias so yeah, it is hard to imagine that The Long Walk won't be made.

Akia

This is going to be so good. Comic IP wise, I'm surprised this series wasn't picked up sooner.

How is AMC on mature content and gore? Is AMC an HBO like channel? By the way, the comic is on fire right now. Can't wait to pick up the lastest issue tomorrow.

Akia said:
This is going to be so good. Comic IP wise, I'm surprised this series wasn't picked up sooner.

How is AMC on mature content and gore? Would they give it an HBO style treatment?

Oh yeah, they won't shy away from much.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Akia said:

How is AMC on mature content and gore? Is AMC an HBO like channel? By the way, the comic is on fire right now. Can't wait to pick up the lastest issue tomorrow.

Breaking Bad is pretty graphic.

Frank Darabont + Walking Dead + AMC = Oh my fucking god!!!!!!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
thekad said:
Doesn't AMC have some other show in development as well? Rubicon or something?They need some comedies.
They've got several shows in development. Rubicon is the next one that has been picked up for series. I read a review of the pilot that didn't speak too highly of it.

Darren Aronofsky's developing Riverview Towers, about a family that moves into an apartment complex with paranormal activities. AMC's also working on adapting Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars novel. I'm sure there's some unannounced stuff and something I'm forgetting.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
I wouldn't care about this if it weren't on AMC. They've already pulled off two great shows and I'm sure they can make this a hat trick.

When I first read walking dead in 2005, this is the first thing that went through my mind, that it would make an awesome tv show. You can't capture this stuff in a movie!!

Darabont is amazing in terms of horror. Watch The Mist in black and white.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
fallengorn said:
Walking Dead? Fuck yeah!

Although I'll never forgive Darabont for giving us the fridge scene from Indy.
That was one of the things Lucas told him he had to put in his screenplay. There are storyboards of it from a couple years before Darabont's draft.

I always thought an inevitable zombie tv-series (why the fuck did it take this long?!!) would have some talentless hacks on board. Anything zombies has me frothing in anticipation so i still would have been there day one. Darabont being on board is like OMG HOLY FUCKING HELL YES worthy to me. Zombies and some actual talent and thought behind it? Yes please!

Awesome news, The Walking Dead is my favourite ongoing comic series.

I think in could work really, really well as a TV show. Can't wait.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Sounds awesome. Darabont is one of the more exciting directors out there in the sense that he's got a massive hands-on approach with every project he does. Hoping for the best.

Tonay

Banned
Anyone who's into a zombie TV show badly needs to watch Dead Set, a 6 part british mini-series aired last year or so. It's about a zombie outbreak in the UK and how it affects the contestests of Big Brother - and it's just as fucking wesome as it sounds.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Tonay said:
Anyone who's into a zombie TV show badly needs to watch Dead Set, a 6 part british mini-series aired last year or so. It's about a zombie outbreak in the UK and how it affects the contestests of Big Brother - and it's just as fucking wesome as it sounds.

i actually thought the premise sounded retarded.. but i saw it.. and it was actually pretty damn good... so.. yeah. i concur. :)

Tonay

Banned
In a tv world where the typical premise of a tv show is one of the following:

"Cops track down bad guys"
"Doctors help patients"
"Housewives chat bullshit"

...how can you possibly think that "Zombies invade reality tv show" is anything other than awesome?

Tonay said:
Yeah, it's fantastic. Best zombie related entertainment in the last decade.

the tv world has needed a serial zombie-based show badly for years. so fucking awesome to hear it's going to be an adaption of The Walking Dead.

Busty

Banned
This could be really interesting and has the potential to be something really, really special.

I'm be really skeptical if it wasn't for the fact Darabont is onboard and it's on AMC.

If anything, it all seems a little too good to be true.........

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Time to put our own casting call. Any ideas? I think Idris Elba could make a kickass Tyreese. Similar age bracket and all.

idriselba.jpg

Aslo, this thread needs a new title. Something like this:

VisionaryQuest0 said:
"Frank Darabont writing and directing a FUCKIN' 'THE WALKING DEAD' series!!!!"
Yes. Yes indeedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom