• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank Darabont writing and directing 'The Walking Dead' series for AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

aku:jiki

Tonay said:
...how can you possibly think that "Zombies invade reality tv show" is anything other than awesome?
Eh, it would've been good if it had actually, you know, used the concept at all. As it stands, Dead Set doesn't do that at all and is just another generic zombie gorefest, except instead of some mansion it's the BB set...for like 10% of the show, the rest is on generic streets. Crazy overrated show by GAF.

To call it better than stuff like 28 Days Later -- which actually brought something to the table -- is ridiculous.

Funky Papa said:
I think Idris Elba could make a kickass Tyreese.
This post made me realize that they're probably not going to use much of the story in the comic. They probably won't have the balls to kill off the entire cast but Rick once per season like the comic (sorta) does. :(

aku:jiki said:
Eh, it would've been good if it had actually, you know, used the concept at all. As it stands, Dead Set doesn't do that at all and is just another generic zombie gorefest, except instead of some mansion it's the BB set...for like 10% of the show, the rest is on generic streets. Crazy overrated show by GAF.
This man is wrong.

Xenomorph

Banned
AMC series are actually quite good (Breaking bad is awesome) so this looks interesting. My initial reaction is "Sci-fi original series" but I know that it goes beyond that. I just hope for good characters and kick ass zombie fighting.

VisionaryQuest0 said:
The appropriate thread title should've been "Frank Darabont writing and directing a FUCKIN' 'THE WALKING DEAD' series!!!!"

THANK you. I've been passing by this thread for hours now.

Anyways, now the whole world can get their heart broken, ripped out and spit on weekly.

Enjoy!

(Day one.)

hiryu

Not sure why you didn't put The Walking Dead in the subject but anyways this is great freaking news. After watching the Mist Darabont is the perfect person to adapt the Walking Dead.

hiryu said:
Not sure why you didn't put The Walking Dead in the subject but anyways this is great freaking news. After watching the Mist Darabont is the perfect person to adapt the Walking Dead.

:lol

I think everybody read Kirkman's Sweet Tweet and came here like oh is THAT what this thread is about?

"Zombie series". A rare misstep for Costanza.

;D

andycapps

I actually just started reading this two days ago.. finished the first volume, Days Gone Bye in about an hour. Am completely hooked. While I was reading it I kept thinking that I was so surprised they hadn't made this into a movie series yet. So this is good news. Now I have to catch up with the rest of the series.

Costanza

Banned
hiryu said:
Not sure why you didn't put The Walking Dead in the subject
I don't really follow comics much and didn't realize the series was so popular. I was just excited by FRANK DARABONT + ZOMBIES + AMC.

Tracking down some issues today, though

I remember reading last year that AMC was developing "Red Mars" by Kim Stanley Robinson. Has anyone heard any new info on that?

Anyway, between Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Prisoner, and now The Walking Dead, AMC is on a roll.

Akia said:
So who should play Rick?
Thomas Jane

200705171149.jpg

Bradley Cooper

bradley-cooper-babel-los-angeles-premiere-red-carpet-0J1nZG.jpg

Tonay

Banned
Should I watch the original Prisoner or wait for the new Darabont version? I'm generally not good with b+w shows, shame I know.

Also, is this the same new prisoner that was being made by Sky in the UK, supposed to star Christopher Eccleston (although I maybe completely wrong there)?

28 Days Later could have been a great zombie film except for the demented last 15 minutes where
all the army men started dressing up that woman in frilly clothes and chased her around the house trying to rape her
. Stupidest fucking shit I ever saw in my life.

28 Weeks Later was better. Especially the scene at the start where Robert Carlyle is running through english fields being chased by zombies with the awesome pounding music.

In the TV world, Buffy and Angel always brought the goods when it came to the zombie episodes. The Zeppo is probably my favourite zombie entertainment EVER, and Dead Man's Party is great too.

Sanjuro

This is one case where the incessant need to cast Nathan Fillion in roles would actually work. He looks alot like Rick in the books.

35jcpau.jpg

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
SanjuroTsubaki said:
This is one case where the incessant need to cast Nathan Fillion in roles would actually work. He looks alot like Rick in the books.

Dude, me and a friend were joking about that. The only thing that would mean is that the show would be cancelled after a few episodes :/

Sanjuro

ItsInMyVeins said:
Dude, me and a friend were joking about that. The only thing that would mean is that the show would be cancelled after a few episodes :/
It's on AMC. They could have six people watching the show and they'll let it run it's course.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Oh boy, this show (if it gets made) will cause the suicide rate to rise where it's aired.

-IGN.com

SanjuroTsubaki said:

Nah.. he doesn't fit the role for me.

I'm personally hoping for Kevin Mckidd.

kevin-mckidd-interview.jpg

Tonay said:
28 Days Later could have been a great zombie film except for the demented last 15 minutes where
all the army men started dressing up that woman in frilly clothes and chased her around the house trying to rape her
. Stupidest fucking shit I ever saw in my life.

28 Weeks Later was better. Especially the scene at the start where Robert Carlyle is running through english fields being chased by zombies with the awesome pounding music.
100% agree with you on that. Although all my friends beg to differ...

harSon

Banned
SanjuroTsubaki said:

35jcpau.jpg

I'd rather the show not get canceled

Tim the Wiz said:
:lol I thought Castle got renewed?

It did! Much to Fillion's surprise as he tweeted after it happened that he'd never had a second season of anything before and didn't quite know what to do. :lol

"The Walking Dead" is going to take over "The Wire" as the most depressing, emotionally crushing TV show ever and it will be glorious. I do wonder just how closely they'll follow the comic, though.

I'm guessing they'll do 13 episodes a season like Mad Men which is actually pretty good since TWD is monthly(?) so it's like one season of TWD is one year of the comics. I'll have to go back and see if that lines up with the story arcs.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Tonay said:
In a tv world where the typical premise of a tv show is one of the following:

"Cops track down bad guys"
"Doctors help patients"
"Housewives chat bullshit"

...how can you possibly think that "Zombies invade reality tv show" is anything other than awesome?

i just really hate big brother, so it clouded my judgment. :/

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
aku:jiki said:

To call it better than stuff like 28 Days Later -- which actually brought something to the table -- is ridiculous.

This post made me realize that they're probably not going to use much of the story in the comic.
They probably won't have the balls to kill off the entire cast but Rick once per season like the comic (sorta) does.
:(

spoiler your post for people that haven't read the comic. :)

chiba

wow. this, the prisoner and breaking bad season 3 coming. Directv needs to give me my dam AMCHD channel already.

Funky Papa said:
There is no casting call yet, but I can only hope a buffed out Jada Pinkett Smith.
I'd prefer to see lesser-known actors in this show rather than big Hollywood celebs looking to rejuvenate their careers in television.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom