• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank Darabont writing and directing 'The Walking Dead' series for AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akia

The Walking Dead and Y: The Last Man = best comic books in the medium. BKV's Y: The Last Man especially for being a great story that goes from beginning to end in 60 glorious issues. BKV's Ex Machina gets an honorary thumbs up as well.

Kirkman can compare TWD to Lost all he wants (some of the comparisons work). But you can tell that Lindelcuse read Y, saw how well BKV wrapped things up and hired him for Season 3-5 of Lost.

gdt

Akia said:
The Walking Dead and Y: The Last Man = best comic books in the medium. BKV's Y: The Last Man especially for being a great story that goes from beginning to end in 60 glorious issues. BKV's Ex Machina gets an honorary thumbs up as well.

Kirkman can compare TWD to Lost all he wants (some of the comparisons work). But you can tell that Lindelcuse read Y, saw how well BKV wrapped things up and hired him for Season 3-5 of Lost.

Definitely.

Also, here's Damon Lindelof talking about how awesome a WD tv show would be (a little bit before the deal was announced.)

At the 35:48 mark. Haven't heard it yet, so assume there are WD spoilers.

http://www.comicsoncomics.com/?p=263

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Akia said:

Dude, The Walking Dead is great. But best in the medium? Y is at best "good" and the last 2-3 seasons of Lost are crap :/

Akia

ItsInMyVeins said:
Dude, The Walking Dead is great. But best in the medium?/

Add a "currently" there. I've read Watchmen and yes its awesome. But currently, the only thing worth reading is Ex Machina and The Walking Dead.

ItsInMyVeins said:
the last 2-3 seasons of Lost are crap :/

... I respectfully disagree, you're entitled to your opinion.

gdt

Akia said:
Add a "currently" there. I've read Watchmen and yes its awesome. But currently, the only thing worth reading is Ex Machina and The Walking Dead.

I think he's more referring to Y.

itsinmyveins

Akia said:

There's some other stuff you need to check out too, though; Preacher (which is kinda fucked up, really), Fables, and going with more heavy stuff there's Palestine by Joe Sacco, for instance. I agree with Watchman being awesome -- which also goes for most of the stuff by Alan Moore :)

Akia said:
... I respectfully disagree, you're entitled to your opinion.

Yeah, let's agree to disagree about that one, no need to turn this thread into a debate about that :p

gdt

Akia said:
I'm a more worried about The Walking Dead because it doesn't seem like Kirkman has a plan to end the series anytime soon.

Yup, thats certainly a problem for me.

He says he has events/plot that could easily take him to issue 300.

itsinmyveins

gdt5016 said:

I'm quite torn about that. While I think there's room to go on with TWD for a long time, I gotta wait like four months between the TPB's, since it's kinda hard to get a hold of american comics in issue format here.

Akia

gdt5016 said:

Yeah, I can't see myself sticking around for that long (1 issue per month pegs that as 19 years from now before it actually ends). I think the most recent "Fear the Hunters" arc was great. I still believe that it would be laughable if anyone currently alive in the comic makes it to issue 300. If Darabont uses a completely different set of characters for the TV series I can totally see myself becoming more invested in that than the Kirkman's comic.

Splatt

gdt5016 said:

I'd be fine with that if there was a rotating cast. Rick & Co. survived a lot of shit in just 70 issues, I can't see them avoiding death's grasp much longer :(

gdt

It depends how he handles it.

He certainly isn't afraid of throwing major shit in the pot, and not falling into a formula like other long running comics have to.

I guess we'll see.

I'm assuming the show will use the same characters/largely similar plot. If not, why use WD at all?

Akia

gdt5016 said:
If not, why use WD at all?

Its the never-ending survive the zombie apocalypse IP with a built in fanbase and popularity = insta-hit at every Comic-Con. Kind of like how Mad Men's going to own the emmys every year until the show goes off air.

itsinmyveins

gdt5016 said:
I'm assuming the show will use the same characters/largely similar plot. If not, why use WD at all?

While it might start off that way it's not sure that it will continue to based only on the comic. They could very well write their own stuff, and I wouldn't complain about it as far as it's good.

gdt

Akia said:
Its the never-ending survive the zombie apocalypse IP with a built in fanbase and popularity = insta-hit at every Comic-Con. Kind of like how Mad Men's going to own the emmys every year until the show goes off air.

I think the "zombie TV show by Frank Darabont on AMC" title would be more than enough to get tons of buzz at Comic Con.

Either way, I'm pretty sure they'll use the characters. I hope so, anyway.

gdt

ItsInMyVeins said:
While it might start off that way it's not sure that it will continue to based only on the comic. They could very well write their own stuff, and I wouldn't complain about it as far as it's good.

Oh definitely.

As long as it's good, I'd just like it to use the same characters (plus if they had to add any new ones of course), and similar storylines/character arcs. Especially the prison.

Akia

gdt5016 said:
As long as it's good, I'd just like it to use the same characters (plus if they had to add any new ones of course), and similar storylines/character arcs. Especially the prison.

Do you guys think Frank has the balls to cut
Rick's hand off so early in the series like Kirkman did.

gdt

Akia said:
Do you guys think Frank has the balls to cut
Rick's hand off so early in the series like Kirkman did.

I think so.

I wondering if they keep all of the deaths the same.

Especially issue 48.

Akia said:

While compelling, TWD is relentlessly and literally one note. Among zombies? Turns out they're the real zombies. Among prisoners? Turns out they're the real prisoners. Among hunters? Turns out they're the real hunters. God knows what's going to happen when they reach some kind of settlement. Among people in charge of rations? Turns out THEY'RE the REAL people in charge of rations.

Adlard is among the best in the biz though, no question.

gdt

BenjaminBirdie said:
While compelling, TWD is relentlessly and literally one note. Among zombies? Turns out they're the real zombies. Among prisoners? Turns out they're the real prisoners. Among hunters? Turns out they're the real hunters. God knows what's going to happen when they reach some kind of settlement. Among people in charge of rations? Turns out THEY'RE the REAL people in charge of rations.

Adlard is among the best in the biz though, no question.

:lol

I love your breakdown.

"Look at those monsters outside the gate, you might think they are the Walking Dead....but WE are the REAL Walking Dead!"

Edit: I think it just hits the motif that Rick and Co constantly have to lose more and more of their humanity to survive. Did so heavily last issue as well. Which, BTW, was IIRC 3 weeks ago and we get a new issue tomorrow. Quick turnaround.

gdt5016 said:
:lol

I love your breakdown.

"Look at those monsters outside the gate, you might think they are the Walking Dead....but WE are the REAL Walking Dead!"

Edit: I think it just hits the motif that Rick and Co constantly have to lose more and more of their humanity to survive. Did so heavily last issue as well. Which, BTW, was IIRC 3 weeks ago and we get a new issue tomorrow. Quick turnaround.

Oh absolutely. And I read it every issue and look forward to the next, but I don't feel it's on the level of the best of the medium. Kirkman excells at giving Adlard amazing sequences to draw, but the stuff coming out of dudes' mouths leave a bit more to be desired.

gdt

BenjaminBirdie said:
Oh absolutely. And I read it every issue and look forward to the next, but I don't feel it's on the level of the best of the medium. Kirkman excells at giving Adlard amazing sequences to draw, but the stuff coming out of dudes' mouths leave a bit more to be desired.

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I definitely put WD on a level with Sandman, Watchmen, and all the other "top stuff." And I can't say I've grown that super appreciation for art that you seem to have, so thats definitely not the reason I put WD so high. Thats not to say I don't think books like this, Invincible, Fables, Watchmen, etc etc don't look awesome, though.

I'd also put Fables on that field, which I remember you don't really dig.

Akia

BenjaminBirdie said:

:lol :lol

You win.

BenjaminBirdie said:

You know I can't argue with you right ;)
Not after your awesome Lost threads.

gdt

animlboogy said:
Why does Watchmen come up in every comic book thread? It's not even the best rhing Moore collaborated on (Promethea).

It's a genre deconstruction. It really has little similarity to a straight up survival ongoing like The Walking Dead.

It comes up when people are talking about the top of the top of comics. Irregardless of whatever genre it falls in.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I have actually read a bit of Walking dead (post-AMC in announcement a couple months back in a book store). I gotta say I wasn't entirely blown away with the dialogue or the story thus far ( I think I read the first 80 pages or so - they had just gotten back to camp from the grocery cart run). I'm assuming/hoping it gets much better, right?

gdt

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I have actually read a bit of Walking dead (post-AMC in announcement a couple months back in a book store). I gotta say I wasn't entirely blown away with the dialogue or the story thus far ( I think I read the first 80 pages or so - they had just gotten back to camp from the grocery cart run). I'm assuming/hoping it gets much better, right?

I'd say it really takes off after they leave the first camp. Also the artist changes at issue 7, I think.

Edit: At 80 pages, I don't think you've finished that first "arc."

No, I've tried to get into Fables a few times and it just never landed for me. I really liked the Peter & Max excerpt they previewed, so I'm going to give Deluxe vol. 1 a(nother) shot.

Decado

gdt5016 said:
I think so.

I wondering if they keep all of the deaths the same.

Especially issue 48.
They may not show them. They seem to be able to show the after effects of violience, but not the actual act itself a lot of the time unless you're Showtime, FX or HBO.

Akia said:
I'm a more worried about The Walking Dead because it doesn't seem like Kirkman has a plan to end the series anytime soon.

That's kind of the whole point. Kirkman has written that he wanted a never-ending tale of survival in the zombie apocalypse. I think it may have even been in the forward of the first collected volume of The Walking Dead.

Also, someone mentioned that AMC may be doing a series of Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars? HOLY SHIT.

Blast Processing said:
That's kind of the whole point. Kirkman has written that he wanted a never-ending tale of survival in the zombie apocalypse. I think it may have even been in the forward of the first collected volume of The Walking Dead.

That's what annoys me about the series. Any sort of continuous media, be it comics, TV, books, games, whatever, should have an ending. Otherwise the story keeps on going and going and going, and the writers get involved in their own little quirks, and then it's impenetrable for someone jumping in fresh. I was really into The Walking Dead until a few issues
out of the prison.
After that it seemed to be wearing out its welcome. That's actually one of the big reasons why I enjoyed The Wire so much; it had an ending, one the writers had been working towards from the beginning.

Peronthious said:
That's what annoys me about the series. Any sort of continuous media, be it comics, TV, books, games, whatever, should have an ending. Otherwise the story keeps on going and going and going, and the writers get involved in their own little quirks, and then it's impenetrable for someone jumping in fresh. I was really into The Walking Dead until a few issues
out of the prison.
After that it seemed to be wearing out its welcome. That's actually one of the big reasons why I enjoyed The Wire so much; it had an ending, one the writers had been working towards from the beginning.

I agree, never-ending series of comics, TV, whatever, do tend to get ridiculous. If Rick doesn't die eventually, I can see The Walking Dead doing the same. Actually, strike that, there's no reason one guy couldn't survive indefinitely to die of old age in this world, and if there's one, it might as well be the main character, right? He won't be able to believably do it at this pace, though. Rick will have to reach some sort of sanctuary to live a normal life for a while, at least. Maybe the story can shift to being centered around some other people for a while.

gdt

http://www.blogomatic3000.com/?p=10627

During the Do Zombies Read Comics? panel at this year’s Thought Bubble, artist Charlie Adlard was asked about the upcoming AMC adaptation of The Walking Dead – the comic written by Robert Kirkman and drawn by Adlard.

According to Adlard, the production has, so far, stuck very firmly to the Image comic. Adlard went as far as saying that, barring any last minute changes, the AMC series will be “different from any other zombie [production]“ and as it’s on cable TV the series will be just like watching The Walking Dead, with no “…watering down or genericising [of] the original comic”.

If the finished product does as Adlard said, and sticks closely to the source material, then I can see AMC having a hugely successful, and long running, series on their hands…

Blader

animlboogy said:
Why does Watchmen come up in every comic book thread? It's not even the best rhing Moore collaborated on (Promethea).

It's a genre deconstruction. It really has little similarity to a straight up survival ongoing like The Walking Dead.

Promethea is the worst thing Moore has written.

The Hollywood Reporter said:
AMC looks to continue streak with pickups
Cable net picks up dramas 'Walking Dead' and 'The Killing'

By Nellie Andreeva
Jan 20, 2010, 04:09 PM ET
Updated: Jan 20, 2010, 05:59 PM ET

AMC is looking to extend its perfect development record with the pickup of two new drama pilots, "Walking Dead" and "The Killing."

They mark the fourth and fifth pilots ordered by the basic cable network, with its first three, "Mad Men," "Breaking Bad and "Rubicon" all going to series.

They also "continue the tradition of bringing premium cable quality shows on basic cable," said AMC's president and general manager Charlie Collier.

"Walking Dead" is based on Robert Kirkman's popular comic book. It chronicles the months and years following a zombie apocalypse and focuses on a group of survivors, led by police officer Rick Grimes, who travel in search of a safe, secure home.

Frank Darabont is the project's writer, director and exec producer, with Gale Anne Hurd of Valhalla Pictures and David Alpert of Circle of Confusion also executive producing.

"Walking Dead," a monthly black-and-white comic book, had been a hotly sought-after property since it was published in 2003 by Image Comics. After a healthy bidding, it landed at AMC in August in one of the network's biggest development deals ever.

"The Killing," from Fox TV studios, is based on the hit Danish series called "Forbrydelsen." Written by Veena Sud and is set in Seattle, the AMC project ties together three stories stemming from the murder of a young girl, which prompts a major police investigation.

Danish-born producer Mikkel Bondesen, who is based at FtvS, brought the format to the studio and is exec producing with Sud.

AMC's first three pilots and series, "Mad Men," "Breaking Bad" and the upcoming "Rubicon," which will premiere this summer, were all original concepts.

The fact that both "Walking Dead" and "The Killing" are based on underlying material is a coincidence, said AMC's senior vp original programming and production Joel Stillerman.

"We think that both of these pieces are incredibly original and distinctive," he said.

AMC is looking to pick up at least one of the two pilots to series for a possible 2011 launch.

The network is coming off of a record-setting best series Golden Globes award for "Mad Men," which became the first drama to win the top category for three consecutive years.
EW.com said:
AMC comes on board for Frank Darabont's 'The Walking Dead' TV series
by Lynette Rice

AMC announced plans today to build on the success of Mad Men and Breaking Bad by developing dramas based on the comic book series The Walking Dead and another inspired by the Danish TV series Forbrydelsen called The Killing. Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption) will write, direct and executive produce the previously announced The Walking Dead, which follows a group of survivors after a zombie apocalypse, while The Killing, from writer and executive producer Veena Sud (Cold Case), is a Seattle-based drama that follows the investigation of a murder.

Both pilots will go into production this spring, and if ordered to series, will help shore up the network’s original lineup of dramas that are both critical favorites and repeat winners at the Emmy and Golden Globes.

bengraven

Edit:

thoh_hells_yeah.gif

SpeedingUptoStop

"The Killing," from Fox TV studios, is based on the hit Danish series called "Forbrydelsen." Written by Veena Sud and is set in Seattle, the AMC project ties together three stories stemming from the murder of a young girl, which prompts a major police investigation.
Hm, this sounds like a miniseries.

SpeedingUptoStop

Well, they're atleast gonna pick up one of the two shows...

be pretty funny if they picked up The Killing and not Walking Dead.

gdt5016 said:
I can't wait to see the cast.

Thats the most important thing.
Yeah, we should be getting some news on that sooner or later if they're trying to film the pilot this Spring/Summer

Oh, I'm slowly getting caught up on the series and loving it. Just finished TPB #7.

gdt

Cornballer said:
Yeah, we should be getting some news on that sooner or later if they're trying to film the pilot this Spring/Summer

Oh, I'm slowly getting caught up on the series and loving it. Just finished TPB #7.

Ohohoho, just wait till the next TPB.

Don't read ANYTHING about it.

Cool. #7 ended with a huge cliffhanger, so I can't wait to see what #8 is all about. I have it on hold at the library and I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom