• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank Darabont writing and directing 'The Walking Dead' series for AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Decado

We'll see (glad they picked it up, though). Beyond overallly quality, how the show handles the violence will be what determines if I (literally) buy into it. Basic cable....meh.

gdt

Decado said:
We'll see. Beyond overallly quality, how the show handles the violence will be what determines if I buy into it. Basic cable....meh.

I don't get why people say this.

FX has never been afraid to push violence. SoA/The Shield are violent as fuck.

If FX can do it, so will AMC.

So I keep seeing all these book compilations on Amazon, which one should I get? I don't want to get the first two books and realise this compilations doesn't exist and that there's a new one.

Can anyone help me on this?

Costanza

Banned
SketchTheArtist said:
So I keep seeing all these book compilations on Amazon, which one should I get? I don't want to get the first two books and realise this compilations doesn't exist and that there's a new one.

Can anyone help me on this?
Get these -

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1607060760/?tag=neogaf0e-20 (first 8 volumes)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1607060221/?tag=neogaf0e-20 (picks up right after compendium)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1607060752/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1607061813/?tag=neogaf0e-20

gdt

Yeah, Compendium V1 collects Volume 1-8.

Its a HUGE deal. Saves a TON of money. It's awesome and a limited-run-kind-of-thing.

Get it, NOW.

guise

I picked up the compendium a couple of weeks back. Im not a comic reader (this is my first) but this shit is brilliant.

kilongs said:
Holy crap that compendium is thick. Can anyone who has this comment on how well the binding holds up?

It's fine for me so far...hasn't broke or anything. I can imagine it snapping if you leave it open for a week though, just because of the weight of the pages. Bookmark highly recommended.

gdt

Oh shit, filming starts in May!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=24797

In Hollywood, nothing is official until the audience is sitting in front of the screen, but getting a TV pilot underway is possibly the biggest step towards getting story out there short of official release. And today, word came out that the cameras will roll on AMC's planned adaptation of "The Walking Dead" from Robert Kirkman and Image Comics.

Horror news source Bloody Disgusting is reporting that writer-director Frank Darabont's pilot for a proposed "Walking Dead" TV series will begin filming in May in Atlanta, Georgia. Focusing on the years-long survival story of southern sheriff Rick Grimes in the fact of a devastating zombie plague, the comic book was long-cited by fans as a prime example of a "would work better as a TV show than as a movie" wishlist item.

With only a few short months until filming begins, it only reasons that casting announcements for the potential series will spring up soon, something Kirkman himself professed excitement for in a September interview with CBR, saying, "I'm excited about the casting and I'm excited about being able to watch the show. I'm excited about everything, but it's kind of odd… my dad sent me an e-mail and he goes, "Congratulations about the TV show." I never thought I'd get that e-mail from my dad – it's kind of bizarre. It's kind of a whole surreal thing."

Look for more news on the "Walking Dead" pilot and possible fully-fledged series as it becomes available right here on CBR!

We should get casting info soon.

With the some luck, we could maybe get this on AMC before the year is out!

FUUUUUUUUCK.

gdt

When has anything ever worked out this good?

it's a cable tv show
on AMC
Frank Darabont writing directing
Robert Kirkman EPing (he has plans to contribute scripts)

It's a fan's wet dream.

The cast better seriously fucking rock. Idris Elba for Tyreese!

gdt

My perfect choice for Rick:

peter_krause_as_joe_miller_in_the_lost_room_on_the_sci_fi_channel.jpg

Too bad he has a show coming up :(.

Other fans have been tossing around Josh Holloway (Lost's Sawyer). I sorta maybe see it:

hot-list-josh-holloway-2.jpg

Might be too good looking though. And I'd always think "hey, there's Saywer!"

i have the Trade Paper versions of 1-6. Have not had time to order the next 5. Will do soon, cant wait to see what governor can do.

gdt

Ok, keep in mind I don't know how reliable this is, but here ya go.

http://www.bigshinyrobot.com/reviews/archives/12143

A lot of people have been buzzing about, talking about Frank Darabont’s adaptation of Robert Kirkman’s zombie masterpiece The Walking Dead.

What not a lot of people have been talking about is casting of the lead, Rick Grimes.

walking-dead-20050525060532001.jpg

Big Shiny Robot! has talked to a few different sources about names that are in the ring for the series and we’re pretty happy. There are a couple of sources we talked to with varying reliability, but these names all made a lot of sense, so we want to throw these out there and get the conversation going. If you don’t know about Walking Dead and have never read it, it’s perhaps one of the best comics being published today. Grab the first trade from Amazon right here and you won’t regret it.

The most reliable sources point us to Jamie Bamber as in the running for Rick. You might remember him from Battlestar Galactica playing Lee Adama.

jamie-bamber.jpg

I’m in the midst of watching BSG for the first time now and I have to say, this would be a great choice. He’s a strong actor, has the right look and handles televised drama really well.

Next on the list is Mark Pellegrino, who is on Dexter and plays [PRETTY MAJOR LOST SPOILER]
Jacob
on Lost.

mark_pellegrino.jpg

He has a little bit less of the look, but that doesn’t mean he couldn’t work. He’s an incredibly talented actor and any show would do well with him at the helm. And really, doesn’t he look like a guy that would make the hard choices in a zombie apocolypse?

And then the last name on the list. Stuart Townsend. The “would-be” King of Middle Earth. The “would-be” Asgardian…

stuart_townsend1a_500.jpg

I’m assuming he could work, but I haven’t seen him in much of anything as he seems to always get replaced at the last minute. If he does get cast, I’d expect that to happen again. But who knows.

As far as all three of these possibilities, I’d actually be really happy with any of them.

Oooh, Pellegrino could totally work. GTFO Bamber and Townsend.

SolKane

okay so i posted this in the "invincible" thread 'cus i didnt see this one. so i'll just post this here:

I ordered the walking dead compendium a little while ago. i heard it was pretty good. but im pretty disappointed with it so far (im up to chapter 2). it's really not compelling me to continue. the dialogue is pretty weak and the characters are all pretty archetypal. plus there are so many of them (12; 3 of whom get killed just to be replaced by 3 more) and they're so cliched and generic I dont really care what happens to any of them.

theyre almost at the prison but if it sticks to this formula i'm gonna be hard pressed to keep reading. plus, like i said, the dialogue is aggravating. "we just gotta get through this, man." "it's okay you killed that guy man.... grey area, man." so does this get any better or what?

gdt

SolKane said:
okay so i posted this in the "invincible" thread 'cus i didnt see this one. so i'll just post this here:

I ordered the walking dead compendium a little while ago. i heard it was pretty good. but im pretty disappointed with it so far (im up to chapter 2). it's really not compelling me to continue. the dialogue is pretty weak and the characters are all pretty archetypal. plus there are so many of them (12; 3 of whom get killed just to be replaced by 3 more) and they're so cliched and generic I dont really care what happens to any of them.

theyre almost at the prison but if it sticks to this formula i'm gonna be hard pressed to keep reading. plus, like i said, the dialogue is aggravating. "we just gotta get through this, man." "it's okay you killed that guy man.... grey area, man." so does this get any better or what?

I'd say the prison arc is totally awesome start to finish, but I'd say that for the rest of the book.

Maybe it's just not your thing, I guess.

gdt

Minor update:

http://www.thewrap.com/article/poacher-draws-kurt-sutters-twitter-ire-14882

On Tuesday, Sutter, creator and executive producer of gritty FX hit "Sons of Anarchy" used both Facebook and Twitter to bemoan the loss of one of his editors to the new post-apocalyptic, zombie-themed pilot Frank Darabont is producing for AMC.

Sutter was biker-club blunt:

@Sutterink: “F--- me, frank darrabont (sic) just stole one of my editors. such a c--- move. disrespectful, arrogant and no regard for how business is done. i hope the zombie apocolypse (sic) pasy (sic) off because karma is a bitch, baby.”

(fuck me. frank darrabont just stole one of my editors. such a cunt move. disrespectful, arrogant and no regard for how business is done. i hope the zombie apocolypse pasy off because karma is a bitch, baby.)

The post yielded a positive reaction on the Facebook “Sons of Anarchy” fan page, with over 91 “likes.”

Sutter also received a chorus of support on Twitter.

@Sami_lewis: “feature guys drop into TV and have no regard for others. huge f---ing egos. splash big, then die. We’re left with the wreckage.”

Darabont, best known for directing the 1994 Tim Robbins/Morgan Freeman prison-themed feature “The Shawshank Redemption,” had no public reaction, at least not in the realm of social networking.

Neither Sutter or Darabont's reps responded to request for comment.

Darabont's new series, “The Walking Dead,” is currently in the pilot phase at AMC.

Darabont...stealing crew left and right :lol .

gdt

NOT a major bump, but cool nonetheless.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=25231

Another fan wanted to know if there was any more news about the upcoming “Walking Dead” TV show. Keatinge said it’s going forward with Frank Darabont (“Shawshank Redemption”) guiding it. He also mentioned that Kirkman himself is working on the script for the show, and that it’s a rare situation for comic creators to actually be involved at that level.

Very awesome. So glad he'll also write (in addition to EPing).

Also,

http://news-briefs.ew.com/2010/03/15/battlestar-galactica-callis-eureka/

Battlestar Galactica alum James Callis has joined the cast of SyFy’s Eureka, according to the Hollywood Reporter. Callis is best known for playing Dr. Gaius Baltar on Battlestar Galactica. He will appear on Eureka’s fourth season as “Dr. Grant, a former resident of the town whose return is cause for alarm.”

Guess he's not playing Rick (thats if he really was in the running anyway...). Which is good, he definitely wouldn't've fit.

Wow, that's great. Kirkman helping with scripts is definitely a plus. My only concern is how well the comic will translate to TV. With Kirkman aboard, at least the dialogue will be good.

randomwab

Wait, Baltar was in the running for Rick?

Fuck, don't know if that'd have fit but anything to get the dude more work. He's an awesome actor and I've hardly seen him in anything since Battlestar ended.

I dunno though, I always saw Thomas Jane as Rick.

gdt

randomwab said:
Wait, Baltar was in the running for Rick?

Fuck, don't know if that'd have fit but anything to get the dude more work. He's an awesome actor and I've hardly seen him in anything since Battlestar ended.

I dunno though, I always saw Thomas Jane as Rick.

Er, wait, I got him confused with Apollo :lol .

And Thomas Jane was supposed to play Rick! But Walking Dead took too long to get off the ground, so he went with Hung.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The Big Rig said:
Wow, that's great. Kirkman helping with scripts is definitely a plus. My only concern is how well the comic will translate to TV. With Kirkman aboard, at least the dialogue will be good.
Joke post?

I dig The Walking Dead, but my god, the dialogue is usually pretty awful.

The Big Rig said:

Actually, that's the worst possible thing he could be involved with. Now we need actors who act as good as Charlie Adlard draws.

And even then....

yikes

gdt

I know some of Comic-GAF doesn't dig it, but I've never had a problem with any of Kirkman's dialogue.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=64573

The Ghost Writer co-star Jon Bernthal is the first actor cast in AMC's "Walking Dead," an adaptation of Robert Kirkman's graphic novel.

The project chronicles the months and years following a zombie apocalypse and revolves around survivors, led by police officer Rick Grimes, who travel in search of a safe home.

Bernthal will play Grimes' partner and friend Shane, an outgoing bachelor.

Frank Darabont wrote the adaptation and will direct the TV pilot. Gale Anne Hurd of Valhalla Motion Pictures and David Alpert of Circle of Confusion are executive producing with Darabont.

jon-bernthal.jpg

Looks like a passable call appearance wise. I'm not too familiar with his craft, though.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I've never heard of that guy nor have I seen The Ghost Writer so I don't really have an opinion about him. Hopefully he'll do a good job, though. Also, I very much hope that they won't go with any of the actors posted in this thread as far as Rich goes. Some damn awful choices there, guys :lol

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Yeah, I don't think we should get too caught up in the idea that they have to look a lot like the characters. I'd rather have a great actor that doesn't look like the character than the opposite, you know.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Yup. This is going to be a show with HUGE amounts of drama, so they better pick some actual talent instead of comic lookalikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom