• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank Darabont writing and directing 'The Walking Dead' series for AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

Tim the Wiz said:
Woah. Flashing back to late nights spent watching the ABC during high school. (Teachers actually had me cherishing my school more than I would have otherwise.) Didn't realize it was him!

Teachers was great for quite a while, until he (Simon) left, Kurt and Brian died, and they tried to replace them with new actors who had none of the camaraderie, oddity, charm, history, and so on.

This Life was just sensational, though. He's a damned good actor, but this role is unusual.

Yeah, the final seasons of Teachers never recovered from those departures - much like Spooks post-S2/S3.

Haven't seen This Life. Will have to dig it up now. Thanks for adding to my already bloated backlog.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Kuraudo said:
Edit: In CBR's report they mention that Kirkman wrote a TWD prose story for the Living Dead 2 anthology. Anyone read it?

I read it and if it is set in TWD's universe I certainly didn't pick up on it the first time I read it. I went back and re-read it when I saw your post and I still don't see how his story is set in the TWD universe. It's a completely generic (and somewhat mediocre) zombie story and none of the people in the comic show up in it.

IMO, LD2 is not as good an anthology as LD1. I have the feeling the editor was really scraping the bottom of the zombie barrel when he was compiling it.

Duki

Banned
just read issue 42

the last page :lol :lol :lol

KILL THEM ALL!

plz tell me the series isnt about to jump the shark

Should be a bit of info out of NY Comic Con later today, but for the moment....
James Poniewozik said:
Frank Darabont on "R-rated" #walkingdead for AMC: "We're going to make [Breaking Bad] look like pussies." #nycc
Bold claim, Darabont.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
So, for people who've read the comic, would you be satisfied in not ever finding out how the zombie plague got started? That seems to be the general thing in zombie literature, regardless of medium: tracing the zombies back to their origin. I thought the (spoilers for the last few issues of the comic):
arrival of the group in DC would be the beginning of this, but apparently Kirkman is now focusing on how the characters have been changed by the disaster they're living through
. I don't really have any problems with this, it's interesting, but I'm finding myself wondering about how he'll wrap up the series (assuming he ever does) and if he'll do the traditional thing, which is to find out the how/what/where of the zombies.

luxarific said:
So, for people who've read the comic, would be satisfied in not ever finding out how the zombie plague got started? That seems to be the general thing in zombie literature, regardless of medium: tracing the zombies back to their origin. I thought the (spoilers for the last few issues of the comic):
the arrival of the group in DC would be the beginning of this, but apparently Kirkman is now focusing on how the characters have been changed by the disaster they're living through
. I don't really have any problems with this, it's interesting, but I'm finding myself wondering about how he'll wrap up the series (assuming he ever does) and if he'll do the traditional thing, which is to find out the how/what/where of the zombies.

The Romero films and many zombie flicks never really go into the origin of the plagues.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
BattleMonkey said:
The Romero films and many zombie flicks never really go into the origin of the plagues.

Yeah, but at least you see some speculation about it. I'm interested in whether we'll get more than speculation - if we'll see the characters actively trying to discover why the dead have risen.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
luxarific said:
So, for people who've read the comic, would you be satisfied in not ever finding out how the zombie plague got started? That seems to be the general thing in zombie literature, regardless of medium: tracing the zombies back to their origin. I thought the (spoilers for the last few issues of the comic):
arrival of the group in DC would be the beginning of this, but apparently Kirkman is now focusing on how the characters have been changed by the disaster they're living through

I hope they never explain how it started. I also hope the just end the series. Don't wrap thing up at all.

luxarific said:
Yeah, but at least you see some speculation about it. I'm interested in whether we'll get more than speculation - if we'll see the characters actively trying to discover why the dead have risen.

Well I don't think it has much bearing to the storyline that TWD is portraying, so I doubt they will bother unless the series takes a major change in direction.

gdt

The Walking Dead has never really concerned itself with how the plague got started, except for that one kinda storyline, which
was a total fake out anyway.

What caused the whole thing isn't as interesting as it's aftermath. I don't really want to see Rick and Co looking for the cause of this whole thing.

vazel

Banned
I hope they don't explain how the plague started. This is just a random group of survivors the entire world should not revolve around them giving them answers.

Akia

vazel said:
I hope they don't explain how the plague started. This is just a random group of survivors the entire world should not revolve around them giving them answers.

Bingo. They should all just slowly die.

Clevinger

Cornballer said:
Should be a bit of info out of NY Comic Con later today, but for the moment....

Frank Darabont on "R-rated" #walkingdead for AMC: "We're going to make [Breaking Bad] look like pussies." #nycc

Bold claim, Darabont.

And yet your show still can't even say "fuck." :lol

Picture from the TV Overmind recap of Comic Con:

13yiblz.jpg

Don't think I've seen that one yet.

Looks like the AMC publicity push for this is moving into high gear so I don't think they'll mind me posting some of the photos from my time on the set of the pilot episode, in which I appear as a zombie in the
climactic Atlanta horde scenes
. I have a bunch of good ones but I'll just do a couple at a time leading up to the pilot premiere on Halloween night.

I got to fulfill an ultimate geek fantasy and have my zombie make-up done by Greg Nicotero and his awesome KNB team (who also did all the gore effects for The Book of Eli). These pics are all from my second shooting day, my first-day make-up was better and included the horrific blood-red contact lenses that all the close-up "alpha" zombies have - will save those for premiere week!

Between takes with Kirkman
1zzm91w.jpg

Kirkman, Darabont and the horde (I'm on the far left)
2vjaqua.jpg

Excellent sucking neck wound
dzxjlk.jpg

More to come!

Salazar said:
Damn, Gary. They pock-marked your face something good.
That's actually me sweating under the make-up, it was ridiculously hot in Atlanta both days, but if anything the bubbly-skin effect made the make-up look even better :lol

gdt

Great pics Gary!

Just wondering, out of curiousity, did they know you are in the business, or did they just think you were a random dude?

gdt5016 said:
Great pics Gary!

Just wondering, out of curiousity, did they know you are in the business, or did they just think you were a random dude?
No, they knew who I was, I got to go because me and Kirkman have the same manager, who is also a producer on the show.

gdt

Fusebox said:
Guessing that's Glen and Rick? Glen looks the same as the comic, and he's wearing my Tigers as well!

Yeah, Glen looks exactly like Glen in the comic.

Lincoln looks a bit like Rick, but it will look alot closer when he starts to grow his hair and beard.

So if you received a package containing the first few episodes would you watch it?

Would you tell GAF about it?

Would you talk about it like it was a hypothetical?

Hmm.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Count Dookkake said:
So if you received a package containing the first few episodes would you watch it?

Hmm.
heh good friend of mine who works for People mag has seen 'em. He was blown away. That's all I wanted to know.

gdt

Count Dookkake said:

Hmm.

Hypothetically, you would watch it.

And hypothetically, you should tell us what you thought, non-spoilery style.

Hypothetically, of course.

gdt5016 said:
Oh man, that last bit in the Poniewozik article!

2 whole seasons of Darabont ACTUAL BOOK SPOILERS
back in a prison setting...then having the whole thing collapse under the weight of The Governor is going to be so fucking boss.
Yeah, it would be as epic as Lost Season 2.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Count Dookkake said:

Hmm.

Me? I would simply because I've read the comic and generally know what is going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom