• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank Darabont writing and directing 'The Walking Dead' series for AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Count Dookkake said:
So if you received a package containing the first few episodes would you watch it?

Would you tell GAF about it?

Would you talk about it like it was a hypothetical?

Hmm.

I would do all of that stuff then send it to the individual who recommended you send it out to someone.

Here's a wider shot of the horde after wrapping in Atlanta. I just love Kirkman's face in this one :lol

2hmk5sn.jpg

Well, I finished reading the compendium yesterday and I'm absolutely hooked. I can't even begin to image how all that stuff will translate to TV. It will be epic.

Now I need to know if there's some kind of collection for the rest of the comics. I can't seem to find anything on Amazon. And if there isn't, what's the best place online to buy them separately or is there a digital version that can be purchased?

gdt

BatiGOOOOOOL said:
Well, I finished reading the compendium yesterday and I'm absolutely hooked. I can't even begin to image how all that stuff will translate to TV. It will be epic.

Now I need to know if there's some kind of collection for the rest of the comics. I can't seem to find anything on Amazon. And if there isn't, what's the best place online to buy them separately or is there a digital version that can be purchased?

If you finished The Compendium...pick up Hardcover #5 and #6 on Amazon (it's better and probably a little bit cheaper than buying the four equivalent trade paperbacks). Then you're just a handful of issues behind.

KingGondo

Banned
BatiGOOOOOOL said:
Thanks. I'm buying those as soon as possible.
#6 isn't out yet--10/23 is the release date I'm seeing on Amazon.

But I own the first 5 hardcovers, and can confirm that they are indeed awesome.

Here's a fun set pic from the end of the Atlanta shoot. By this point it was so hot the make-up was starting to melt off my face. Hands are super bloody because
I was one of the zombies that tears Rick's horse to pieces after he's dismounted. It was pretty awesome, they stuffed a life-size rubber horse with fake guts and condoms filled with blood that burst when you ripped into them with your hands, spilling blood everywhere. It looked really awesome and REALLY gory.

2irvmmu.jpg

Pretty cool short promo on AMC tonight following the Rubicon finale. James Badge Dale talked a bit about how he likes the zombie genre. They're doing a lot of promotion right now on AMC, and that's good to see.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
that thing is pretty thick imo (at least not my desirable way to read something like this). Hard Cover editions FTW!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Did the comic book come out before or after 28 Days Later? I'm just wondering cause the whole set up of waking up in a hospital to find theres been a zombie outbreak seems very familiar. I am looking forward to this, I'll definitely tune in even though I'm a little burnt out on zombies at this point but I gotta say, nothing I've seen in the teasers has looked very compelling to me.

...but it's AMC, quality television, I expect I'll feel differently when I see the real deal for myself.

Zyzyxxz

vazel said:
You can buy the compendium and hardcover #5 and get hardcover #6 for free. That would get you all currently released collected material.

Personally, I would never get those huge compendium books. I bought the Frank Miller Daredevil Omnibus and ended up selling it because of how uncomfortable it was for me to read through.

ah, I see. Still not sure which I should get or if I should bother reading it at all, I'd rather be surprised by the series.

These two pics are my favorite, these are in the full final make-up including the horrific contact lenses I had to wear. I'm squeamish about having anything touch my eye and I've always avoided wearing contacts, so my first experience with them was these super-thick colored lenses that cover almost half your eye and blur your vision pretty badly. Uncomfortable to wear after a while and more of a bitch to take out than to put in but ultimately they're what make the zombies look like zombies and not just dudes in make-up. All the "alpha" zombies, the ones closest to the camera, have to wear them.

6786td.jpg

wt81ly.jpg

LM4sure

Banned
I haven't read the comic, but I'm interested in seeing how they make this show different from the dozens of zombie movies made over the last several years.

Already I've seen a few things that have already been done. Guy wakes up in hospital to find everyone turned into zombies. This was in 28 Days Later, right? Little girl turns around and she's a zombie. You have to kill little girl now. Was this in Dawn of the Dead? Guy needs to wade through hordes of zombies to find his loved one. Done countless times before.

I've never seen a horse in a zombie movie before. That was pretty cool.

I still have high hopes given Darabont is attached. Just hoping there are some Holy @#@$ moments. I'm sure readers of the comic will confirm there are. I'm stoked.

gdt

LM4sure said:
I haven't read the comic, but I'm interested in seeing how they make this show different from the dozens of zombie movies made over the last several years.

Already I've seen a few things that have already been done. Guy wakes up in hospital to find everyone turned into zombies. This was in 28 Days Later, right? Little girl turns around and she's a zombie. You have to kill little girl now. Was this in Dawn of the Dead? Guy needs to wade through hordes of zombies to find his loved one. Done countless times before.

I still have high hopes given Darabont is attached. Just hoping there are some Holy @#@$ moments. I'm sure readers of the comic will confirm there are. I'm stoked.

There aren't really too many things action wise not done before (just a couple of neat ideas here and there)...but where the stories and the characters go are unique. Hell, zombie movie can't do what has happened in The Walking Dead simply because they don't have time to. The Prison will rock faces.

The Walking Dead is unique, at the very least, because of the long range arcs and storylines taking place.

Zabka

LM4sure said:
Already I've seen a few things that have already been done. Guy wakes up in hospital to find everyone turned into zombies. This was in 28 Days Later, right?
It's one of those things that showed up in several things created around the same time (Resident Evil's ending did it first, 28DL, and Walking Dead), all pulling from the same influence.
Little girl turns around and she's a zombie. You have to kill little girl now. Was this in Dawn of the Dead?
Yup. And the original Night of the Living Dead, among others.

The Walking Dead goes way further than any of these shows though. The serialized format makes a huge difference, involving dozens of characters.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
what are the odds of a scene were one of the character gets bitten and he's like "I'm not gonna turn into one of them!" and kills himself

andycapps

LM4sure said:

Well, if it is anything near the quality of the comic, I think you're in for quite a few surprises. The closest equivalents to The Walking Dead are the Romero zombie movies in their exploration of the humans and their conflicts with each other and with their own inner demons. Oftentimes, the zombies are the least of their worries next to the people sleeping next to them. And no character is safe, that is for certain.

gdt

Snuggler said:
what are the odds of a scene were one of the character gets bitten and he's like "I'm not gonna turn into one of them!" and kills himself

Hmm.......zero. There is something similar early on though.

SPOILER

A certain character gets bitten but decides to become a zombie, he hopes to find his (now zombie) family in the city.

gdt

andycapps said:
Well, if it is anything near the quality of the comic, I think you're in for quite a few surprises. The closest equivalents to The Walking Dead are the Romero zombie movies in their exploration of the humans and their conflicts with each other and with their own inner demons. Oftentimes, the zombies are the least of their worries next to the people sleeping next to them. And no character is safe, that is for certain.

Yeah, there is (a couple) of loooong stretches where we barely see a zombie. Or at least they're not much of a danger. It's the people they gotta watch out for.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
gdt5016 said:
Hmm.......zero. There is something similar early on though.

SPOILER

A certain character gets bitten but decides to become a zombie, he hopes to find his (now zombie) family in the city.

Interesting. I guess that's not a bad idea, if I were in the zombie apocalypse I'd probably just let one bite me and get it over it. If you can't fight 'em, you might as well join 'em.

I look forward to the show. I'm just hoping to see a solid story at the core with good acting and everything. I have faith in that happening, AMC is the place to go for good TV these days.

andycapps

Snuggler said:
Interesting. I guess that's not a bad idea, if I were in the zombie apocalypse I'd probably just let one bite me and get it over it. If you can't fight 'em, you might as well join 'em.

I look forward to the show. I'm just hoping to see a solid story at the core with good acting and everything. I have faith in that happening, AMC is the place to go for good TV these days.

To be honest, if I were a survivor I'd probably do what you mentioned above if I got cornered and there were no way out. I don't think I'd want to go through the pain of being ripped apart by zombies prior to dying and becoming one of them. I'd save a bullet for myself and blow my brains out. I don't remember that scenario being in the comic, but they've said they wouldn't stick to the comic verbatim and it does seem like a plausible scenario if someone loses hope (which is a common theme in any zombie apocalypse).

Zabka

andycapps said:
To be honest, if I were a survivor I'd probably do what you mentioned above if I got cornered and there were no way out. I don't think I'd want to go through the pain of being ripped apart by zombies prior to dying and becoming one of them. I'd save a bullet for myself and blow my brains out. I don't remember that scenario being in the comic, but they've said they wouldn't stick to the comic verbatim and it does seem like a plausible scenario if someone loses hope (which is a common theme in any zombie apocalypse).
Like this? (spoiler warning for Battlestar Galactica)

Raydeen

Can't argue with the makeup. That will be fun in high-def.

Shame we didn't get Darabont's The Thing sequel TV series instead of the shitty prequel movie shooting now. :|

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I've had Book One (the first ~12 issues?) for literally a year, just sitting on my shelf. No specific reason - just tough to find the time to read/watch/play everything I want.

Finally dug it out and dusted it off today... I'm determined to get through the source material before the show starts. Did I read somewhere that the first season is 24 issues of the comic? Or is it 12 issues = 1 season? I know it isn't a 1:1 comparison. I'm just asking, in general.

I work from home and I've had the book sitting on my desk all day as a reminder. I keep opening it up to peak at a page and end up reading 2-3 pages before forcing myself to put it down. I can already tell it's gonna be awesome.

gdt

GDJustin said:
I've had Book One (the first ~12 issues?) for literally a year, just sitting on my shelf. No specific reason - just tough to find the time to read/watch/play everything I want.

Finally dug it out and dusted it off today... I'm determined to get through the source material before the show starts. Did I read somewhere that the first season is 24 issues of the comic? Or is it 12 issues = 1 season? I know it isn't a 1:1 comparison. I'm just asking, in general.

I work from home and I've had the book sitting on my desk all day as a reminder. I keep opening it up to peak at a page and end up reading 2-3 pages before forcing myself to put it down. I can already tell it's gonna be awesome.

First season=first six issues. First trade paperback.

Looks like each season will tackle more or less two paperbacks (Darabont talked about some timeline stuff witch fits within that description).

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
gdt5016 said:
First season=first six issues. First trade paperback.

Looks like each season will tackle more or less two paperbacks (Darabont talked about some timeline stuff witch fits within that description).

Wow... that seams kinda slow. I mean that in a good way. Many adaptations seem to want to rush through the source material. But with one episode (roughly) equaling one issue of the comic, the show would never catch up, and would already have ~6 full seasons of material.

I wonder if they'll condense or combine elements in later seasons.

Zabojnik

I'm pretty sure this will translate spectaculary well to TV and I can't wait for the show to begin. That said, am I really the only one that doesn't find the comic to be so immensely great? And I'm not even sure why. I liked it well enough, but after a while the whole
'bad shit happens, and then some even worse shit happens' routine kind of fell flat. I also couldn't get attached to most the characters and didn't really care when they started dying like flies. Which is strange, since I usually really enjoy the human drama that develops in apocalyptic scenarios.
Hopefully I'll be more in touch with the TV series.

LM4sure said:
I don't want to be spoiled. Are they positive?
Yup. They have a few complaints here and there, but they're very positive overall. A few quotes:
You're going to like this show whether you read the comic or not, or whether you're a horror-hound or not. From what I've seen, Walking Dead, is taking the time to build each character first, then play with the gore. But both are very well done.
“The Walking Dead” seems like everything you’d want in a zombie movie, and we’ll get it week after week on TV. Hopefully subsequent episodes will maintain the quality. Darabont may be a tough act to follow, but he’ll still be supervising.
Hats off to Darabont, Hurd, Kirkman and AMC for creating another winner! "The Walking Dead" is a milestone in television and in many ways, the first A-level horror series. It’s classy, epic and old school in the best ways and makes you realize why you originally fell in love with this genre.

I don't know how discussing leaks work, but, wow. That was absolutely fantastic. I seriously think I'm going to up and buy the graphic novels based on that episode alone.

gdt

I'll put up the thread in a few hours. Just gotta go for a run first.

I heard the first episode was really, really good :D .

Anton668

From Blogs.AMCTV

With Watch and Win, You Could Land a Walk-on Role as a Zombie in The Walking Dead

Want to be one of The Walking Dead's lurching predators? Good! Because winning a walk-on role could be as easy as watching the premiere on Sun., Oct. 31 at 10PM | 9C. That night, as well as the five Sundays thereafter, AMC will reveal a secret code -- aired during one commercial break -- that viewers can then enter at amcdead.com for a chance to snag the coveted walk-on role. Six episodes. Six chances to win. Give it a shot! Log on to amcdead.com now to learn more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom