• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frat suspended for holding "Cripmas" party

Status
Not open for further replies.
clemson7n-3-web.jpg

Shit looks lame

Made me cringe so hard...

What white people cant rock ball jerseys and eat watermelon too? Pretending watermelon and sports apparel are exclusively for black people is whats racist here. people need to quit looking for things to get outraged aboout.The inability to accept humour and satire is what keeps racism alive not innocent college kids having a bit of harmless fun. Where was the outrage when the Wayans Bros dressed up in Whiteface? Or when the hundred and one black comedians made their ten thousandth joke about whitey? Racial double standards are the real problem here. Black people need to get over themselves and quit bring hypocrites

royalan

What white people cant rock ball jerseys and eat watermelon too? Pretending watermelon and sports apparel are exclusively for black people is whats racist here. people need to quit looking for things to get outraged aboout.The inability to accept humour and satire is what keeps racism alive not innocent college kids having a bit of harmless fun. Where was the outrage when the Wayans Bros dressed up in Whiteface? Or when the hundred and one black comedians made their ten thousandth joke about whitey? Racial double standards are the real problem here. Black people need to get over themselves and quit bring hypocrites

Is this sarcasm-ish?

Rembrandt

Banned
Had images turned off at work, JUST saw this.

YEAHHHH WOW NO.

I see 2, which is really confusing because the rest are like.... really not ethnic looking at all.

yup. every single time these stories come out (and there's been a decent amount), they're always incredibly racist/offensive which is why I can't take several posters in here seriously.

My point was that if a gathering called "This is the Godfather-themed Party" was held, I doubt it would make headlines.

Well, one, there's a big difference in associations here. "The Godfather" doesn't necessarily tie to racial stereotypes about Italians at the same level that "Crips" does to black Americans -- you could easily have a Godfather party without being as racially offensive as this (though certainly one could also load it with offensive racist bullshit.)

But also, there's kind of no point to this hypothetical because it isn't real. In America you get oblivious white kids holding parties or wearing costumes all the time that are racist against blacks, and the same phenomenon doesn't exist in reverse -- that's pretty much a textbook example of privilege, where the white kids don't see any problem with it while the black kids have in all likelihood been brought up to recognize that bad things could happen to them for mocking whiteness. The very fact that this phenomenon is so specific to white college kids is part of what establishes it as racially problematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom