• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frat suspended for holding "Cripmas" party

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goddamit, if this was strictly about taking the piss out of gangs they wouldve had a clue about which gang wears which colour. It's so transparently obvious their intention was to mock black, inner city subculture, which theyve ignorantly defined as being all about gangs and thug life.

Sorry, left-wingers, but no one signs away their First Amendment rights just because they go to college. And it's time to start suing the administrators who try to make students do so or punish students for violating their legally indefensible speech codes. The Cripmas party looks like something from Saturday Night Live and was probably a lot of fun.

Umm......yeah you do.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Goddamit, if this was strictly about taking the piss out of gangs they wouldve had a clue about which gang wears which colour. It's so transparently obvious their intention was to mock black, inner city subculture, which theyve ignorantly defined as being all about gangs and thug life.

And it's all happening at SAE, a fraternity already exposed for being really fucking racist. I don't know why anyone would defend this. Shit is gross.

But then again I dressed as Hitler for Halloween, so maybe I am not politically correct enough.

"Not politically correct enough" isn't how I would describe the kind of person who dresses up as Hitler for Halloween.

If it's just the clothing, I really don't see the issue at all. They're representing a fucking gang, taking the piss out of it. Not representing black people and taking the piss out of them. But then again I dressed as Hitler for Halloween, so maybe I am not politically correct enough.

Really curious, are you american?

Wasteman

Banned
What gang are they representing? Please, observe the picture carefully before you answer.

I get it, they said crib party but they are not donning all blue. Regardless, they are taking the piss out of gang culture. So what ? I see balaclavas, I see stupid hand-signs, I see ridiculously low trousers. These are all part of various gang cultures. I really don't get the issue.

In England there are so many dress as "chav" parties. Would you consider ripping into this subculture offensive as well ?

At Spork, Nah I'm British.

clemson7n-3-web.jpg

Throw a Cripmas party and wear Slob colors? I guess.

Infinite

I get it, they said crib party but they are not donning all blue. Regardless, they are taking the piss out of gang culture. So what ? I see balaclavas, I see stupid hand-signs, I see ridiculously low trousers. These are all part of various gang cultures. I really don't get the issue.

In England there are so many dress as "chav" parties. Would you consider ripping into this subculture offensive as well ?

At Spork, Nah I'm British.

That doesn't answer my question. If they are taking a piss on gang culture then what gang or gangs are they portraying in that image? What does a lot of the imagery in the photo even have to do with gang culture aside for the non-specific hand signs?

Enzom21

lol so mocking a criminal violent groups is tantamount to mocking black people ...

Did he write that? He asked what gang their supposed to be dressed as at their "Crip"mas party. If it was an actual Crip party they would all be wearing blue. These little shits clearly just threw on what they think black/urban people wear, having dick all to do with Crips.

Infinite

lol someone has what I can make out as a New York football Giants Jersey in that pic. And it appears that the non-specific hand signs are probably middle finger gestures

That's like the two go to gangs when people throw up signs in pictures. Someone throw up a pitchfork at the least to add to diversity.

It's really weird to see them treat the clothes like costumes but maybe it's because I grew up around people in gangs, well mostly Mexican gangs. Bloods and Crips were more east side and the cholos stayed in the North and Southside.

Wasteman

Banned
That doesn't answer my question. If they are taking a piss on gang culture then what gang or gangs are they portraying in that image? What does a lot of the imagery in the photo even have to do with gang culture aside for the non-specific hand signs?

No gang specifically, but the idea that a lot of gangs wear low hanging trousers, balaclavas and over-sized garments whilst throwing silly hand-signs. I see that in the photo.

wow_guilds_gangs.jpg

compton-bloods-cri_3149000c.jpg

NA-BD096_GANGS5_D_20091229222737.jpg

I just googled LA gang to get these, so validity is unknown. The people in the photo don't look too far off apart from being super lame.

Banglish

Yea you might think they look dumb and goofy in pictures but I sure as shit would not be saying those words to their faces.

Infinite

No gang specifically, but the idea that a lot of gangs wear low hanging trousers, balaclavas and over-sized garments whilst throwing silly hand-signs. I see that in the photo.

wow_guilds_gangs.jpg

compton-bloods-cri_3149000c.jpg

NA-BD096_GANGS5_D_20091229222737.jpg

I just googled LA gang to get these, so validity is unknown. The people in the photo don't look too far off apart from being super lame.

The issue with that pic is that they aren't really portraying any of those street gangs seen above. They're kinda just dressing like shit they seen on tv shows and movies that portray urban culture and the inner cities and conflating it with gangs which is the point that doesn't sit well with a lot of people and probably why they were reprimanded. Not that an accurate portrayal of the crips (where they actually wear blue bandanas and clothes) wouldn't have gotten in trouble either. I asked that you be precise here for this reason.

I'm having a really hard time getting upset about this.

The issue with that pic is that they aren't really portraying any of those street gangs seen above. They're kinda just dressing like shit they seen on tv shows and movies that portray urban culture and the inner cities and conflating it with gangs which is the point that doesn't sit well with a lot of people and probably why they were reprimanded. Not that an accurate portrayal of the crips (where they actually wear blue bandanas and clothes) wouldn't have gotten in trouble either. I asked that you be precise here for this reason.

This is the issue? They didn't portray crips/bloods well enough?

This very lame party is hardly worth national attention. If this were a Howard University frat doing a prohibition-era Italian gangster party, I don't think anyone would care - because nobody should care. I don't frankly know what their motivations or internal thoughts were when planning this minor lapse of racial sensitivity, but a serious national discussion on it is a waste of our collective energy.

This very lame party is hardly worth national attention. If this were a Howard University frat doing a prohibition-era Italian gangster party, I don't think anyone would care - because nobody should care. I don't frankly know what their motivations or internal thoughts were when deciding this minor lapse of racial sensitivity, but a serious national discussion on it is a waste of our collective energy.

Close it down boys!

Did he write that? He asked what gang their supposed to be dressed as at their "Crip"mas party. If it was an actual Crip party they would all be wearing blue. These little shits clearly just threw on what they think black/urban people wear, having dick all to do with Crips.

Hahah jesus christ ... what is this?

You have to distinguish the fucking proper gang name to mock gang culture now ... ? Because otherwise it's mocking black people.

You do realise your saying all black people wear the same urban clothes and act like they are in a gang. To me that is the most racist statement in this thread by far.

royalan

You have to distinguish the fucking proper gang name to mock gang culture now ... ? Because otherwise it's mocking black people.

You do realise your saying all black people wear the same urban clothes and act like they are in a gang. To me that is the most racist statement in this thread by far.

Then thank God it's a statement that only you've made in this thread.

Enzom21

Your replies to me and Infinite seem to indicate a lack of basic reading comprehension on your part.
Point out where I wrote all black people wear urban clothing or that I think black people dress like that.

BigDes

Yes? Its rampant classism. Ohoho look how funny the oiks are.

I dunno why people think dressing up as stereotypical interpretations of marginalised people is so funny. At worst it is mypoically offensive, at best it is utterly crass

This very lame party is hardly worth national attention. If this were a Howard University frat doing a prohibition-era Italian gangster party, I don't think anyone would care - because nobody should care. I don't frankly know what their motivations or internal thoughts were when planning this minor lapse of racial sensitivity, but a serious national discussion on it is a waste of our collective energy.

Close it down boys!
This is a discussion board and topics like this come up for discussion purposes. If you don't think it's worthy of discussion, that's fine. But this doesn't add to the discussion people are trying to have at all.

He never said any of that. No one said any of that. Where are you reading this?

njean777

Frats need to be shut down anyways. You can have parties and network without ever needing or even seeing a fraternity.

This is a discussion board and topics like this come up for discussion purposes. If you don't think it's worthy of discussion, that's fine. But this doesn't add to the discussion people are trying to have at all.

My intent was to comment on the coverage this story is receiving and how as an entire culture we are dumber for deluding the idea of what truly is a controversy. I think it's a point that adds to the discussion.

tumblr_lwow4dXxsh1qdtz80o2_1280.jpg

If some white groups wanted to be black gangsters for the night, all they had to do was try a little harder at it.

Glad shit is being handled against them.

Reminds me to go watch Harlem Nights again

Infinite

I'm having a really hard time getting upset about this.

This is the issue? They didn't portray crips/bloods well enough?
Literally didn't say that. God, these threads can be so annoying when people just hear (or read) what they want. If you read what was typed I clearly said that people have an issue with it because it's conflating urban culture and the inner cities with gangs. It's a hilariously bad and juvenile. There's nothing in the pic that's really specific to any known street gang. A tupac shirt? Loose fitting clothes? a sports jersey? Yeah man I totally recognize that gang.

J10

Banned
They'll figure out how to not be stupid in front of cameras eventually. These are just 21st century growing pains.

My intent was to comment on the coverage this story is receiving and how as an entire culture we are dumber for deluding the idea of what truly is a controversy. I think it's a point that adds to the discussion.
That's a little bit of a stretch. It's definitely not a bad thing to be talking about this and I'd say the discussion we're having right now is proof of it.

After this and many stories like this one, it personally opened my eyes on what to teach my future child or to inform people of in the future when the topic of what may go on in fraternities comes up.

Saying things like your initial post may discourage people from putting their own two cents in, was my problem.

As a black person, seeing that national attention is being apply here reaffirms that the majority of American society still understands that overt racism is wrong. That in itself speaks volumes to the minorities that their cultural dignity in America matters and America agrees.

It's funny that you brought up the italian gangster party idea, because it shows to me that you are unaware of the Harlem Renaissance era where there were black gangs similar to italian gangs back in the 1920s. If it were on Howard University, they don't have to pretend to be of another culture because black people have done it themselves in the similar era. Your points in your argument is a whole lotta nothin

Literally didn't say that. God, these threads can be so annoying when people just hear (or read) what they want. If you read what was typed I clearly said that people have an issue with it because it's conflating urban culture and the inner cities with gangs. It's a hilariously bad and juvenile. There's nothing in the pic that's really specific to any known street gang. A tupac shirt? Loose fitting clothes? a sports jersey? Yeah man I totally recognize that gang.

So blame any litany of social issues for why suburban youth conflates urban culture for gangs. Searching for apparent outward racism here is futile. The outrage here is just a tad overblown.

So for people to disagree with this on grounds of it being racist... Aren't you pretty much saying that gang culture in the US is owned by black Americans?

That being said, this idea for a party is pretty stupid, regardless, lol.

TRios Zen

I genuinely don't see what is racist about this; and I'm not trying to be obtuse.

I see young dumb white kids dressing like what they think gang member's look like and throw up what they think are gang signs. They look clueless, as they probably are.

But I'm not sure I understand what is racist about it.

That being said, I completely understand why they would be suspended, for a number of issues, so not trying to protect the fraternity here.

Infinite

Getting national attention? Showing up on a thread on GAF?
Ok but how is anything that I said discussing the disproportionate to the offense committed in your opinion. How is not talking about this solves anything or works to improve perception? Why does this have to be "overt racism" for me to take issue with it? Where are the pitchforks and torches in this neogaf dot com thread?

Rembrandt

Banned
Lol, and people complaining about the "Dear White People" trailer being too preachy.

And yes, "Social Probation" is now the most obnoxious expression that privileged people say, move over "Overly PC".

Yup. Movie came out at a perfect time and sadly got overlooked. Hopefully it gets the love it deserves on dvd or Netflix. People should really watch it.

Ok but how is anything that I said discussing the disproportionate to the offense committed in your opinion. How is not talking about this solves anything or works to improve perception? Why does this have to be "overt racism" for me to take issue with it? Where are the pitchforks and torches in this neogaf dot com thread?

Semantics argument. He means outrage because people are giving this so much attention. "Heated, opinionated discussion" is what you both are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom