• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frat suspended for holding "Cripmas" party

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty ignorant of gang culture. Are there no white crips?

Autocorrect changed crips to crisps. Fucking lol.

There are white, Pacific Islander, and Hispanic crips but members are typically African-American though still not exclusively. I doubt these kids (or most people) know more than the surface level though which in their mind is 'crips = African-Americans'

Skyzard

Banned
Not that I feel bad for them but this seems a bit harsh. I mean it seems kind of fun firstly but then also bringing attention to them making fun of gangs after they already have a reputation for being racists is sort of inviting trouble from gangs who ask new members to kill people (from what I heard).

So other than South Park being referenced twice, there's no actual proof of Bloods/Crips being in pop culture, right? I thought so.

635867-2livecrew.jpg
Awwwwwwwww shit.

Volimar

So other than South Park being referenced twice, there's no actual proof of Bloods/Crips being in pop culture, right? I thought so.

Not recent pop culture, no. They kind of hit their pop culture popularity peak in the 90s. It's all sons of anarchy and Amish mafias nowadays.

I'm not sure what "proof" would even be here. I'm certain there are a great many of us (myself included) who know about the Bloods/Crips only through cultural references to them.

I've never been to, or lived in, an area with a gang problem, but if you asked me to name a gang, the Bloods and Crips would be the first thing that came to mind, no question.

Dude Abides

Banned

Awwwwwwwww shit.

Yeah i wonder how these frat bros learned about these totally obscure gangs nobody has ever heard of. One of them must have been writing a paper for criminal justice class and stumbled upon this arcane knowledge.

Awwwwwwwww shit.

What are you expecting in terms of popularity? They're already on TV, there's movies / documentaries about them (even if serious), their reputation has obviously spread across America (even well into Canada), even a slew of artists who've given mention or done the crip walk to show it off -- it's very odd seeing people deny just how known Crips and Bloods are. Do people actually think they're some secret gang from LA?

#AmericanCollegeStudents

Yeah, these are fucking college students in the United States. It's actually not that hard to believe once you think about how fucked up this country really is though.

Because we all deserve to be put in the same category as these fucking bottom-feeders? Please troll somewhere else.

royalan

Yeah i wonder how these frat bros learned about these totally obscure gangs nobody has ever heard of. One of them must have been writing a paper for criminal justice class and stumbled upon this arcane knowledge.

The point is not that Crips and Bloods are obscure gangs only known in their neighborhoods. The point is that there aren't any positive and/or cool images or portrayals of Crips and Bloods in popular culture that would lead anyone with goddamn sense to believe that holding a Crip themed party would be a good idea. Or that the portrayal of these gangs could be entirely removed from their black origins (case in point: none of these kids are accurately depicting Crips OR Bloods. They're just displaying random bits of urban/black culture, with some fake gang signs thrown in for good measure).

rambis

Banned
Hmm I think its in poor taste to pretend to be gang members but I don't see the racism. They may very well be a largely minority culture but it doesn't single out any one race anymore like in the past.

What are you expecting in terms of popularity? They're already on TV, there's movies / documentaries about them (even if serious), their reputation has obviously spread across America (even well into Canada), even a slew of artists who've given mention or done the crip walk to show it off -- it's very odd seeing people deny just how known Crips and Bloods are. Do people actually think they're some secret gang from LA?
I'm not denying at all that people know of the crips, bloods, as well as other gangs. I don't believe that crips and bloods are mainstream, though. Although, at this point we're probably arguing semantics.

But show me proof that white people referencing and imitating crips and thugs in a non-problematic way is a thing.
That's what I'm trying to find out, and I haven't found the answer other than what I've said already.

The point is not that Crips and Bloods are obscure gangs only known in their neighborhoods. The point is that there aren't any positive and/or cool images or portrayals of Crips and Bloods in popular culture that would lead anyone with goddamn sense to believe that holding a Crip themed party would be a good idea. Or that the portrayal of these gangs could be entirely removed from their black origins (case in point: none of these kids are accurately depicting Crips OR Bloods. They're just displaying random bits of urban/black culture, with some fake gang signs thrown in for good measure).

I'm not denying at all that people know of the crips, bloods, as well as other gangs. I don't believe that crips and bloods are mainstream, though. Although, at this point we're probably arguing semantics.

That's what I'm trying to find out, and I haven't found the answer other than what I've said already.

Let's change Crips and Blood to the Hells Angels. They have some notoriety with them as well. You probably won't find any positive portrayals of them anywhere besides some fake charities.

What makes dressing up as Crips and Bloods any different from dressing up as a Hells Angel or even the mafia? All are horrible organizations but they're still popular whether you want them to be or not. People will dress up as these organizations because of distance (and time). It's why you will see people dress up as NAZIs for Halloween. Some people are stupid and dress up as stupid things. You have to prove that these students are being racist but when you compare them to other gangs that are glorified (white ones) it doesn't hold much water.

jmood88

Let's change Crips and Blood to the Hells Angels. They have some notoriety with them as well. You probably won't find any positive portrayals of them anywhere besides some fake charities.

What makes dressing up as Crips and Bloods any different from dressing up as a Hells Angel or even the mafia? All are horrible organizations but they're still popular whether you want them to be or not. People will dress up as these organizations because of distance (and time). It's why you will see people dress up as NAZIs for Halloween. Some people are stupid and dress up as stupid things. You have to prove that these students are being racist but when you compare them to other gangs that are glorified (white ones) it doesn't hold much water.
Well let me know when you find evidence of them having a Hells Angels-themed party and not getting in trouble.

royalan

The problem here is that this fraternity held a gang-themed party, then proceeded to get the entire concept wrong and just showed up in a bunch of random shit representing black/urban culture.

It would be like if a black fraternity held a Hells Angels themed party, and then everyone showed up in cardigans and khakis, flip-flops and snuggies, and other stereotypical portrayals of what white people look like.

You always need to ask yourself, "would I feel comfortable inviting one of them to this theme party?"

If the answer is "no", you're probably racist.

Tawpgun

My two cents....

I think it was wrong for them to hold a gang themed party.

However I think its also kind of wrong that people (including myself) are equating gangs to black people. At least I think that's wrong right? It's the only reason something like this is considered racist. Because dressing up in gang colors/outfits is correlated to black people.

Not in one, but I could see a lot of networking potential in the good ones.

Yeah, I'm not in a frat but some of my best friends are and they're really motivated, ambitious people, and the frats they're in help a crap ton when it comes to networking.

That said, I'm pretty sure SAE is just shit tier in general. Freshman year there was a frat right next to honors dorms that was always known as the sketchy one when it came to parties, with girls getting ruffied and shit there. It got shut down the next year, and I'm pretty sure that one was an SAE chapter as well. So moral of the story: SAE sucks, but not necessarily all of greek life sucks.

White people cant stand us but they always have us on their mind and on the tips of their tongue. Whattup with that?

We're an interesting race but also an endangered one. The people who do this feel fine cribbing culture but not actually being their when the people of that culture are being marginalized. All the fun without any of the responsibility. You get to recognize and glamorize gang culture but not ask the question as to why or how things got so bad that people in neighborhoods where gang culture is prevalent would consider it a viable or even necessary path in their eyes.

I'm not going to lie, I'm kind of on the fence about this one. Mostly because there's no blackface, and "Cripmas" could kind of be a funny theme for a party (though it's terribly executed judging by the photo since it's completely lacking any "Christmas"). I'm probably giving them too much benefit of the doubt here though.

We aren't even talking about the Hells Angels, though. Nor are we talking about Nazis. We're talking about Crips and Bloods. Or, just the Crips honestly since it was a "Cripmas" party. Interestingly enough, they're not even doing it right in this picture at all. From the handsigns to the clothes. But, I'm pretty sure that I'm caring more about that then they are.

People know of Crips and Bloods. Grandparents know of them. I wouldn't be surprised if little Becky walking down the greenest, safest, non-urban area knows of gangs. But in 2015 is it really the thing, hip, cool for this...

...to happen? Just because South Park lampooned it, it's alright? Just because Dave Chappelle or anyone else made jokes about it, then it's all good? It's all jokes and comedy here -- especially on NeoGAF where we quote hot/discussion filled topics with one liners or a YouTube link to Louis CK or George Carlin.

One crowd will see that picture and say, "Well, it's kids being kids." If that was a group of minorities, it'd be a different story.

These are the same kids who would lock their doors with the quickness if they ever had to roll thru Compton or southside LA....

New York even...

The problem here is that this fraternity held a gang-themed party, then proceeded to get the entire concept wrong and just showed up in a bunch of random shit representing black/urban culture.

It would be like if a black fraternity held a Hells Angels themed party, and then everyone showed up in cardigans and khakis, flip-flops and snuggies, and other stereotypical portrayals of what white people look like.

How did they get the concept wrong? Fortunately a lot of these students are removed from gang violence so they're exposed to usually one or two mediums: tv and the Internet. Both are plagued with the stereotypical urban gang look. It's similar to how the mafia is portrayed wearing suits constantly when in reality it wasn't truly like that.

We aren't even talking about the Hells Angels, though. Nor are we talking about Nazis. We're talking about Crips and Bloods. Or, just the Crips honestly since it was a "Cripmas" party. Interestingly enough, they're not even doing it right in this picture at all. From the handsigns to the clothes. But, I'm pretty sure that I'm caring more about that then they are.

People know of Crips and Bloods. Grandparents know of them. I wouldn't be surprised if little Becky walking down the greenest, safest, non-urban area knows of gangs. But in 2015 is it really the thing, hip, cool for this...

...to happen? Just because South Park lampooned it, it's alright? Just because Dave Chappelle or anyone else made jokes about it, then it's all good? It's all jokes and comedy here -- especially on NeoGAF where we quote hot/discussion filled topics with one liners or a YouTube link to Louis CK or George Carlin.

One crowd will see that picture and say, "Well, it's kids being kids." If that was a group of minorities, it'd be a different story.

To be fair I doubt people dressing up as Hells Angels or NAZIs are doing it right either. It's always going to be the stereotypical look because most people never come into contact with members of the groups they're dressing up as. How to be a Hell's Angel: wear a leather jacket, grow a beard, get tattooed up, and ride a motorcycle, that's the perception a lot have -- which is the perception of a biker in general.

I bring those two up because small segments of people do have the audacity to dress up as repulsive figures for "fun".

Is it alright to dress up the crips and the bloods? I would say it's wrong as it's glorifying gang culture. Would I consider it racist from looking at this from purely a "these students held a crip themed party." No. I wasn't there so all I can go on is the theme of the party. You can extrapolate different ideas to why they had that party but really it's just creating theories. I am not against the idea of the party being racially motivated because of the history there, I just can't see (with what limited information we do have) that this is any different from other parties themed around stupid ideas.

Senoculum

These people have no real purpose in life do they? Absolutely none. Frats are pointless.

Where lots of people have "ideas" I bet it's crucial to network with people who are like-minded. In the digital age? At a time where you can hit up manufacturers from around the world, get grants from your own government, or lease a space as a venture client to develop talent? I find very little value in frats, especially when the majority of the students are not compatible with each other; or in entirely different industries and pursuits.

Those who do network were already programmed to do so, and will continue to do so in their line of work. Those who are innovative will continue to strive. Those who need a little help will definitely not find the motivation in these places, as frats are a distraction, and are hotbeds for stupid behaviour.

Laekon

So I guess non black people can't play most rap music either as it will be reinforcing negative stereotypes of the black community? There is a ton of racist crap done everyday but this seems so minor and silly to me. Where toga parties banned for celebrating a culture of slavery and imperialism?

How did they get the concept wrong?

To be fair I doubt people dressing up as Hells Angels or NAZIs are doing it right either. It's always going to be the stereotypical look because most people never come into contact with members of the groups they're dressing up as. How to be a Hell's Angel: wear a leather jacket, grow a beard, get tattooed up, and ride a motorcycle, that's the perception a lot have -- which is the perception of a biker in general.

I bring those two up because small segments of people do have the audacity to dress up as repulsive figures for "fun".

Is it alright to dress up the crips and the bloods? I would say it's wrong as it's glorifying gang culture. Would I consider it racist from looking at this from purely a "these students held a crip themed party." No. I wasn't there so all I can go on is the theme of the party. You can extrapolate different ideas to why they had that party but really it's just creating theories. I am not against the idea of the party being racially motivated because of the history there, I just can't see (with what limited information we do have) that this is any different from other parties themed around stupid ideas.

For one, the majority of them are dressed in red when the Crips are known for being colored in blue. Some sets may use red, but the majority of Crips wear blue and most people know them for that color. See, you're right, and I'm glad we can come to an agreement: This is stereotypical and it is wrong. They're just dressing up as what, and I hate using this word, they perceive as what thugs would wear and I guess they're doing it in a Christmas theme. I'm sure these people have never seen or know actual gang members. I'm pretty sure as far as hand signs go, they're just doing random shit or stuff they found on YouTube.

Shit comes in different shades and scents but it's still shit: I get it. By the way, to even but Nazi's in the same breath as street/biker gangs is laughable. But, that's not even what I'm arguing.

You said that Crips/Bloods have elevated to pop culture status, yet you haven't really proved them being referenced by the majority in a non-problematic means.

This is your daily reminder that white people are the worst.

Love all the pages for something that at least requires a bit of debate to determine if its racist, while there is this flat out racist statement and it goes by almost completely unnoticed.

Isnt this shit ban-able?

Sliver

Love all the pages for something that at least requires a bit of debate to determine if its racist, while there is this flat out racist statement and it goes by almost completely unnoticed.

Isnt this shit ban-able?
For real, if it was any other race it'd have been bombarded with reaction gifs and would have been a ban. But since it's about white people its just a funny, harmless joke.

Sai-kun

Banned
So I guess non black people can't play most rap music either as it will be reinforcing negative stereotypes of the black community? There is a ton of racist crap done everyday but this seems so minor and silly to me. Where toga parties banned for celebrating a culture of slavery and imperialism?

ummm i'm not sure consumption of rap music is completely comparable to dressing up like gang members? (besides the fact that they didn't do it well.)

also just because this seems 'minor and silly' to you doesn't make it that way for anyone else.

gay people? absolutely not

ugh! as if we would be caught at this kind of classless party!

For real, if it was any other race it'd have been bombarded with reaction gifs and would have been a ban. But since it's about white people its just a funny, harmless joke.

lmao!

Wasteman

Banned
If it's just the clothing, I really don't see the issue at all. They're representing a fucking gang, taking the piss out of it. Not representing black people and taking the piss out of them. But then again I dressed as Hitler for Halloween, so maybe I am not politically correct enough.

Infinite

If it's just the clothing, I really don't see the issue at all. They're representing a fucking gang, taking the piss out of it. Not representing black people and taking the piss out of them. But then again I dressed as Hitler for Halloween, so maybe I am not politically correct enough.

What gang are they representing? Please, observe the picture carefully before you answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom