• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frat suspended for holding "Cripmas" party

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not just any frat, but the very same Sigma Alpha Epsilon frat known for singing that song
The Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity chapter at Clemson University has been placed on probation for two years after the university found that a racially charged party thrown by some of the fraternity’s members violated the school’s conduct codes, according to a statement from the university.

The off-campus “Clemson Cripmas” party in December led to the indefinite suspension of the fraternity chapter by the national Sigma Alpha Epsilon organization. The party also prompted on-campus protests after photos circulated on social media, appearing to show attendees dressed as gang members.

A university investigation concluded that the gang-themed party violated the school’s alcohol rules and its code of conduct for student organizations. The probation will be effective until February 2017.

The fraternity will also have to complete a “comprehensive risk management program” by the end of April that will cover the topics of “alcohol, social justice, and gangs.”

The fraternity's national organization was outraged by the Christmas-themed party that had members wearing blue and red bandanas, colors of the street gangs the Crips and Bloods, throwing up gang hand symbols and wearing T-shirts with images of the late rapper Tupac Shakur.

About two dozen students were suspended and the leaders of the local chapter, whose operations are controlled by alumni advisers, were removed.

"The decision of a few brothers to hold the type of social event they organized is inexcusable and completely inappropriate, and the entire group was sanctioned. Furthermore, their behavior in no way reflects the values and creed of the fraternity, and we apologize to campus and local community for their actions because we teach our brothers to be leaders, scholars and, most importantly, gentlemen," the national Sigma Alpha Epsilon Organization said in its statement.

Pictures of the party were posted on social media, causing backlash as black students said Clemson didn't do enough to promote racial tolerance. About 6 percent of Clemson's students are black.
http://news.yahoo.com/clemson-puts-cripmas-party-fraternity-2-probation-142447647.html
^^ Includes pictures

Clemson has added a lecture series and a monthly luncheon to promote diversity, and Clements has vowed to spend this year reviewing how the university treats minorities and can attract a more inclusive class of students.

That'll solve everything!

The Yahoo comments are as insightful as always

Sorry, left-wingers, but no one signs away their First Amendment rights just because they go to college. And it's time to start suing the administrators who try to make students do so or punish students for violating their legally indefensible speech codes. The Cripmas party looks like something from Saturday Night Live and was probably a lot of fun.

In happier news:

Rutgers University is banning all fraternity and sorority house parties for the remainder of the spring semester after several alcohol-related incidents on campus, university officials said Monday.

The ban, which students are calling an informal "social probation," applies to all 86 of Rutgers' fraternities and sororities.
http://www.nj.com/education/2015/04...ternity.html#incart_2box_nj-homepage-featured

JDSN

Banned
Lol, and people complaining about the "Dear White People" trailer being too preachy.

And yes, "Social Probation" is now the most obnoxious expression that privileged people say, move over "Overly PC".

Huh. I wonder if this is the same frat that was involved in that death rather recently that many think was hazing related. I think it might have been, and I'm pretty sure that happened at Clemson.

It's the plot of Dear White People, jesus fuck SAE's recruits THEE most remedial mofos they can find.

Dear-White-People-Poster-597x884.jpg

Exr

Wait if its cripmas shouldnt they all be in blue? Get it together and practice those Crip walks.

KiKaL

These people have no real purpose in life do they? Absolutely none. Frats are pointless.

There is a lot more to them then the media would have you believe. Shockingly they only focus on the negatives. The recent Rolling Stones article is a clear indicator of that.

J10

Banned
Towards the end of the party they were all so drunk that they couldn't tell each other apart from actual Negroes and proceeded to try to hang one another.

JaggedSac

Only another example of racism from a frat stepped in racism.

Seems to be just about gang culture and not African Americans specifically. I've seen white people dress pretty much like that day to day in Macon GA. That is a rather oddly and surprisingly gang riddled city though.

J10

Banned
Seems to be just about gang culture and not African Americans specifically. I've seen white people dress pretty much like that day to day in Macon GA. That is a rather oddly and surprisingly gang riddled city though.

They chose bloods and crips instead of klansmen and cops though.

Slayven

People that have these kind of parties and attend such parties don't make that distention.

Crud

Banned
There is a lot more to them then the media would have you believe. Shockingly they only focus on the negatives. The recent Rolling Stones article is a clear indicator of that.

My dad was in a frat I still don't see the point in it all.

People that have these kind of parties and attend such parties don't make that distention.

I believe Crips and the Bloods have elevated to pop culture status similar to the Hell's Angels. They're both parodied a lot on TV and other media. At this point the worst offense is that there's actual parties themed around gangs.

Slayven

I believe Crips and the Bloods have elevated to pop culture status similar to the Hell's Angels. They're both parodied a lot on TV and other media. At this point the worst offense is that there's actual parties themed around gangs.

Folks keep making excuse for them. It's not real racism unless they are lynching someone.

JaggedSac

I believe Crips and the Bloods have elevated to pop culture status similar to the Hell's Angels. They're both parodied a lot of TV and other media. At this point the worst offense is that there's actual parties themed around gangs.

Yep, there was even a South Park episode about them.

Folks keep making excuse for them. It's not real racism unless they are lynching someone.

This was a not so subtle way of saying I'm racist.

Do you deny Crips and Bloods are pop culture? The worst I see is this promoting gangs. I would put this on the same level as people having a Hell's Angel's themed party: stupid in general.

Do you deny Crips and Bloods are pop culture? The worst I see is this promoting gangs. I would put this on the same level as people having a Hell's Angel's themed party: stupid in general.
So there was nothing racist about this party?

Enzom21

No it isn't, stop bullshitting.

royalan

I do.

Show me an example of crips and bloods being referenced and imitated in Pop culture by people who aren't black.

So there was nothing racist about this party?

I can't say for sure because we just know the theme of the party. I've had friends dress up as Hell's Angels, Crips / Bloods, etc for Halloween. Would you consider the ones dressing up as Crips and Bloods to be racist? Or simply knowing there exists a very popular gang that has a certain style? I would assume the former. There's a visual motif to those gangs which helps the appeal in parody, satire, and mocking.

Ok .. do yourself a favor and just stop. Its blackface without the makeup.

Seriously.. just stop it dude.

Yep, there was even a South Park episode about them.

Son of a bitch... and here is the "South Park" excuse. This is the 5th damned time I've seen south park used on Gaf to hand wave blatantly racist garbage.

Slayven

Nope.

I was just commenting that when these OBVIOUSLY racist moments go down, people bend time and space to handwave them away. Or shout down folks that have legit concerns and issues with theme.

Zeke

Someone should have invited some real gang members. I'm sure the night would have been hilarious if they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom