• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frat suspended for holding "Cripmas" party

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do.

Show me an example of crips and bloods being referenced and imitated in Pop culture by people who aren't black.

I'm not part of this argument btw and I'm probably reading this wrong but

gx7fsLT.jpg

royalan

Does South Park count as pop culture?

South Park makes light of things that are problematic all the time. It's their shtick.

But show me proof that white people referencing and imitating crips and bloods in a non-problematic way is a thing. Show me that Crips and Bloods have become just another harmless bit of Pop culture, because where I come from people are still careful about the colors they wear in certain neighborhoods.

Until then I'm calling bullshit.

finowns

I could see offense if they had called this a "Blackmas" party or something like that, implying all black people dress a certain way, but this was specifically about Crips and Bloods, which are two groups that we should be able to mock; even if they're a group comprised of black people.

I could be swayed by argument though. I'll admit I could be missing something.

JaggedSac

South Park makes light of things that are problematic all the time. It's their shtick.

But show me proof that white people referencing and imitating crips and thugs in a non-problematic way is a thing. Show me that Crips and Bloods have become just another harmless bit of Pop culture, because where I come from people are still careful about the colors they wear in certain neighborhoods.

Hey, I never said gangs were not a problem.

Burt

SAE was the only white fraternity on campus that had a black member in it when I was there a few years ago.

This was a not so subtle way of saying I'm racist.

Do you deny Crips and Bloods are pop culture? The worst I see is this promoting gangs. I would put this on the same level as people having a Hell's Angel's themed party: stupid in general.

Just because your mom's favorite Rapper is Snoop Dogg doesn't mean Crips and Bloods are popular culture..

Nope.

I was just commenting that when these OBVIOUSLY racist moments go down, people bend time and space to handwave them away. Or shout down folks that have legit concerns and issues with theme.

So they're racist but they're just less racist? The moment you put out that someone's bending logic to handwave issues like this you're saying they're racist. Just say they are. Call them out.

But show me proof that white people referencing and imitating crips and thugs in a non-problematic way is a thing. Show me that Crips and Bloods have become just another harmless bit of Pop culture, because where I come from people are still careful about the colors they wear in certain neighborhoods.

The fact Crips and Bloods make it to television in a mocking manner matters in how big they are in pop culture. Dave Chappelle makes fun of gangs as well, and I don't doubt other black comedians do as well. Yes. They are dangerous gangs but so are the Hell's Angels, it does not mean they're not popular. I'm not saying what they did was right, it's just stupid to do but I can't see how this is any different from people throwing a Hell's Angel's party: a stupid party. Or when someone dresses up as a NAZI for Halloween, it's insensitive overall but I don't think throwing a party themed around popular gangs is considered racist.

royalan

So they're racist but they're just less racist? The moment you put out that someone's bending logic to handwave issues like this you're saying they're racist. Just say they are. Call them out.

The fact Crips and Bloods make it to television in a mocking manner matters in how big they are in pop culture. Dave Chappelle makes fun of gangs as well, and I don't doubt other black comedians do as well. Yes. They are dangerous gangs but so are the Hell's Angels, it does not mean they're not popular. I'm not saying what they did was right, it's just stupid to do but I can't see how this is any different from people throwing a Hell's Angel's party: a stupid party. Or when someone dresses up as a NAZI for Halloween, it's insensitive overall but I don't think throwing a party themed around popular gangs is considered racist.

South Park doesn't count because they LIVE to poke fun at problematic shit. Also, it's long been established that "I thought it was ok because I saw it on South Park" isn't a good excuse for anything.

So...no examples other than black comedians (many of whom grew up in neighborhoods shared by these gangs)?

I'm still not seeing proof that Crips and Bloods have just become so popular with the GP.

#AmericanCollegeStudents

Yeah, these are fucking college students in the United States. It's actually not that hard to believe once you think about how fucked up this country really is though.

I wouldn't put the whole country down the shitter because of these idiots. I was a college student too and I did none of this shit. Neither did many people I knew who took their engineering/STEM degree seriously.

South Park doesn't count because they LIVE to poke fun at problematic shit. Also, it's long been established that "I thought it was ok because I saw it on South Park" isn't a good excuse for anything.

So...no examples other than black comedians (many of whom grew up in neighborhoods shared by these gangs)?

I'm still not seeing proof that Crips and Bloods have just become so popular with the GP.
South Park is the general public as the issues the tend to touch upon are known issues.

If you ask people on this board chances are they will know who Grips and Bloods are. How do these students know? Obviously the gang's notoriety has spread.

In Canada we even know who they are.

hahahaha

Why is it that when white people do shit like this they're just "dumb college kids"

But when black people are victimized by systemic abuse from all of society they say "you all need to take responsibility!"

Fuck out of here with this shit

South Park is the general public as the issues the tend to touch upon are known issues.

If you ask people on this board chances are they will know who Grips and Bloods are. How do these students know? Obviously the gang's notoriety has spread.

In Canada we even know who they are.

G isn't even that close to C on the keyboard. Are you sure people actually know...are you sure YOU know who they are?

Seesaw15

Suspending the Frat for this lame ass party theme is like arresting Al Capone for tax evasion. The school was like we know you probably up to so much worse shit but we'll bust you for being sloppy.

Just to be clear, you realize that almost all the big gangs are formed along racial lines right?

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
What does any of that have to do with Martin Luther King?

white wimminz....
#demsnowbunniestho

Im being sarcastic hardy har har...but dem white wimminz tho...chorizomedios!!!

Banglish

Not gonna lie, I'm planning on going as a crip for next year's halloween party. I however, will do the crips justice... err

BajiBoxer

Banned
Seems to be just about gang culture and not African Americans specifically. I've seen white people dress pretty much like that day to day in Macon GA. That is a rather oddly and surprisingly gang riddled city though.
If this is like some of the well off white kids I went to school with "acting black" wold be part of the joke. It would be lampooning what they see as black gang culture specifically. At my school if someone dressed in a way perceived as how a black gang member dressed they would usually be refered to as a "wiger". I don't know how common this sort of racist stereotyping was/is for the rest of you, but that is the experience I had that makes it difficult for me to see this as anything other than racism.

KingK

If this is like some of the well off white kids I went to school with "acting black" wold be part of the joke. It would be lampooning what they see as black gang culture specifically. At my school if someone dressed in a way perceived as how a black gang member dressed they would usually be refered to as a "wiger". I don't know how common this sort of racist stereotyping was/is for the rest of you, but that is the experience I had that makes it difficult for me to see this as anything other than racism.
Yeah this is my experience exactly. On the face of it, you could dismiss it as people just being dumb and dressing up as a notorious gang without any racial component, but the entire event was almost definitely stepped in racism.

Volimar

I'm pretty ignorant of gang culture. Are there no white crips?

Autocorrect changed crips to crisps. Fucking lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom