• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free Assassin's Creed 3 Xbox download (China account required)

Cbajd5

It finished and it works~

So yay I guess. I should really finish playing the rest of the series. Or at least the first game.

I've read the fucking last 5 pages.

Might want to read it again if you still dont understand.

Migrate your chinese profile to your home country. There was a link to the migration page earlier somewhere. Its on Xbox.com somewhere, maybe just search it.

Go to your download history and download it again.

Should work no problem then. You dont need to delete the corrupted file, just re download and your good to go.

Might want to read it again if you still dont understand.

Migrate your chinese profile to your home country. There was a link to the migration page earlier somewhere. Its on Xbox.com somewhere, maybe just search it.

Go to your download history and download it again.

Should work no problem then. You dont need to delete the corrupted file, just re download and your good to go.

It might be different for other people but I had to delete the corrupted file because I didn't have enough space to download it again. But the migrating stuff does work.

So I have a corrupted 7.7GB file. What can be done?

Maybe the OP should be updated.

Migrate account to your home country.

Delete the corrupted file (not sure how necessary this is, but I did it just in case!)

Sign into your newly migrated account (on the 360), go to settings, then download history, and redownload

Vamphuntr

Basically it seems when you download something from XBL it authenticates the file to a server tied to the region in your account at the end of the download. When it fails to do so, the file corrupts.

MS pulled the plug when they realized their mistake so it can't authenticate the game in the China region. If you joined the party late or if you downloaded slowly your file corrupted when the plug was pulled. If you migrate your account to your region and redownload it from your download list, it will authenticate the game using the server in your region. Seems like all the files are in the same place while the authentification is region based.

Apparently, you can't buy Xbox 360 games in China. Only Xbox games through the Win8 store and GFWL. Seems someone flipped the wrong switch.

Ronabo

Does it re-download the entire file again?

I didn't delete anything, but the old file is gone and I've been sitting at 0% for 5 mins.

And thanks for the account migration info. I read it was for people that hadn't started downloading anything, sorry.

Does it re-download the entire file again?

I didn't delete anything, but the old file is gone and I've been sitting at 0% for 5 mins.

And thanks for the account migration info. I read it was for people that hadn't started downloading anything, sorry.

It redownloaded the whole thing for me even though I was at 80% before.

I just left background downloads on and went out.

It took a while, but a free game is a free game.

Remk

That was a very slow download but after migrating the account I have a functional copy on my xbox, thanks op!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Ok, so I migrated the account and am now downloading it again after deleting my corrupt file.
Once it's finished could I also transfer the license over to my regular Xbox account and delete my newly created one?

louiedog

Ok, so I migrated the account and am now downloading it again after deleting my corrupt file.
Once it's finished could I also transfer the license over to my regular Xbox account and delete my newly created one?

Nope. It's forever associated with that account. Just use your main account to play it. If you get a new xbox you should be able to transfer the license using the newly created account to the new xbox and use your main account to play it there.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I did this earlier today and forgot about it and deleted the game by accident but I migrated the account which is super easy and it's downloading again. Thanks Gaf!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nope. It's forever associated with that account. Just use your main account to play it. If you get a new xbox you should be able to transfer the license using the newly created account to the new xbox and use your main account to play it there.

Gotcha. Thanks!

daevv

In regards to the failing, due to IP check - If you've already got it on your download history, has anyone tried doing a account migration?

https://live.xbox.com/AccountMigration

Came up on a GameFAQs topic about it. Assassin's Creed 3 is linked to the profile, that's set. The profile is based in China, which obviously isn't USA/UK/wherever you are. If you do a migration to your home country, the IP check will pass.

My internet is horrendous (I download at 400 kb/s), so I won't be able to see if my download passes or not (currently at 35%), but this may be worth looking in to. If it is 'corrupting' at 80%, you MAY just need to download the remaining 20%, or possibly the whole thing.

I'll check this topic tomorrow morning when I wake up, to see if anyone's tried the migration!

Added this to the OP.

Troidal

Though I missed out on AC3, migrating to my Japan account finally allowed me to download and play games I previously purchased on the US account! Thanks for this wonderful tip :D

RiverBed

Banned
Are console virtually non-existent in China purely do to market conditions or are there deliberate handicaps by the Chinese government?

Troidal

Are console virtually non-existent in China purely do to market conditions or are there deliberate handicaps by the Chinese government?

I heard the government keep it that way because "games corrupt the minds of our children" or something like that. But that doesn't stop many small shops from selling imports and hack them to play pirated copies. 360/Wii games can be bought for like less than $5. PS3 I think is the only one they can't make pirate versions.

Tumo

- started the original download
- saw the corrupting/migration thing
- migrated when the original download was at ~60%
- left it on background download to finish overnight (didn't have to redownload)
- woke up to a working copy of AC3

Thank you very much!

I mentioned it in another exploitable game thread previously: what moral difference does this have compared to piracy?

I'd like to know from the perspective of people who are normally anti-piracy, yet jump on these exploits. Is it morally okay if someone screwed up? Wouldn't a leak be a screw-up too?

Kinda trying to draw the line here.

PS: not trying to start any war here, just seeking for that answer of "what in your mind makes it wrong or right"

It finished and it works~

So yay I guess. I should really finish playing the rest of the series. Or at least the first game.

Hahah you don't have to. I loved it at launch, but it doesn't hold up well, and even back then, alot of people disliked it. Thankfully the overarching plot crawls in the first game, so you could skip it and lost out on on a tiny amount that is easily youtube-able. If there's a demo, try that, otherwise I'd just start with 2.

I mentioned it in another exploitable game thread previously: what moral difference does this have compared to piracy?

I'd like to know from the perspective of people who are normally anti-piracy, yet jump on these exploits. Is it morally okay if someone screwed up? Wouldn't a leak be a screw-up too?

PS: not trying to start any war here, just seeking for that answer of "what in your mind makes it wrong or right"

There's no line to draw. In one instance you're wilfully stealing/pirating content whereas in the other you're taking advantage of a computer error/human error that will be fixed relatively quickly.

They are comparable by any means, nor should they be.

There's no line to draw. In one instance you're wilfully stealing/pirating content whereas in the other you're taking advantage of a computer error/human error that will be fixed relatively quickly.

They are comparable by any means, nor should they be.

You knowing you're not paying for something because of an error is unethical. I didn't imply that they stand in the same illegal ground, but morally speaking? Pretty comparable.

You knowing you're not paying for something because of an error is unethical. I didn't imply that they stand in the same illegal ground, but morally speaking? Pretty comparable.

Interesting discussion and all ,but could you boot up a new thread if you want to talk the ethics of downloading a free game that people put up for free, and allow you to have what account you like from what country you like for free. There are people having trouble getting this working, and it does work, so probably best to keep from confounding the thread. I think what you're saying has merit on a discussion board but you're going to confuse things wors eif we have pages of this stuff mixed in with people trying to get help.

I don't believe so. Errors occur everywhere, sometimes they are to your benefit, other times they are not.

Is someone paying less due to an error unethical? Is someone taking advantage of a computer error that allows them to buy one item and one free unethical? Is someone downloading something that's free for a short period of time due to a computer error unethical? Claiming these are unethical simply triggers a race to the bottom, eventually you start to consider any kind of error unethical and that's simply not realistic nor is it right.

Systems are built around the eventuality that errors will occur, it's up to the company running the system to ensure errors are as rare as possible.

Piracy is wilfully stealing content, taking advantage of an error that allows you access to content for free isn't.

Interesting discussion and all ,but could you boot up a new thread if you want to talk the ethics of downloading a free game that people put up for free, and allow you to have what account you like from what country you like for free. There are people having trouble getting this working, and it does work, so probably best to keep from confounding the thread. I think what you're saying has merit on a discussion board but you're going to confuse things wors eif we have pages of this stuff mixed in with people trying to get help.

Duly noted. Apologies.

Duly noted. Apologies.

my bad, since i thought the deal was over and all I didn't think that some people would need help with it. Seems that way so I'll stop.

Oh, hey, don't apologise haha, I ain't no mod. You could as well tell me to fuck off, just a request though :) I didn't have to do the migration trick, but it seems people do now, & it's working if you do it right. People may as well cash in while they can ha

my bad, since i thought the deal was over and all I didn't think that some people would need help with it. Seems that way so I'll stop.

You have a good point and my moral compass is now going haywire.
All I can say in my defence is that I haven't broke any laws and it not a game I would have ever bought any way.

Certinty

Works for me too now.

Played around 5 hours before I sold it a while back, will play it ocasionally during the summer if bored.

Dreaver

Hmmm. If you have two controllers, have the Chinese account on the second controller, with your main on the first controller?

I don't have two controllers at the moment but I don't think that would work. HOWEVER I managed to migrate my account a SECOND time to the right country (all officially) I've to wait but I might be enable to play it with my main profile.

Dambrosi

Banned
I did everything that the OP said to do, but when I click on the link in the OP, I can't see any download links except to the manual.pdf. Yes, I'm signed in to my new Chinese account, and I'm going through Firefox. Should i go through IE?

Can anyone help? Thanks.

neora

Sorry to continue on this piracy tangent, but blitzcloud made such an excellent point that I couldn't help posting.

I believe you are completely correct, morally these exploits are absolutely no different from piracy.

You could claim that because so few people are able to take advantage of them they don't carry the damage to the industry that piracy does, that is true but ultimately irrelevant.
If you as a single individual pirate something, the damage that does is negligible.
Only those that find ways to achieve piracy and spread that knowledge are doing any real noticeable harm directly.

For the record, I jumped on this exploit pretty early on and have my copy of AC3 downloaded and working. I view this as morally identical to piracy, I just don't consider piracy to be morally wrong.

Piracy is wilfully stealing content, taking advantage of an error that allows you access to content for free isn't.

"taking advantage of an error that allows you access to content for free" is actually a fantastically accurate way of concisely defining piracy.

The JTAG hack, the RGH, DS flashcarts, Wii cIOSs, save game hacks, the leaked PS3 private keys.
All of these and almost all piracy today are examples of errors that allow you to access content for free, they are errors in the security mechanisms of those consoles on the part of the console manufacturers.
Taking advantage of those human errors is no different than taking advantage of this error in the XBLM system, it's just more difficult.

I think after blitzcloud's post there is going to be a whole lot of cognitive dissonance in this thread.

It is very interesting to see how it took 12 pages before somebody noticed that what everyone is eagerly participating in in this thread contradicts what most of them claim to be their moral stance.

Top Bottom