• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Software says a little more about their new games [UP: More on Souls-like game]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
To be clear, I said only a little!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/09...-armored-core?abthid=57e287075a178f5c40000006

IGN said:
"So there are several titles that we are currently working on [...] Some of those are dark fantasy, some of those could be a mech [game] - that's one thing.

Game 1 (The dark fantasy Dark Souls-esque title):
The second thing is that one of the new titles I've been working on will probably comply with the expectations from the fans in straightforward manner.

Game 2 (Armored Core):
"Yeah, we're already working on Armored Core", but would not offer any more detail.

Game 3 (The new IP that isn't like their other games):
"The last thing is that another title will probably be a little bit weird. When we actually announce the title, probably fans will react with 'oh, what the hell is this very weird game that Miyazaki has created?'"

As for what that 'weird' game could be, Miyazaki offered only this: "So when I say weird, I mean that the genre we're trying to try might be a little bit weird. Not only that, but all the other actual game content might be a little bit weird, yes." Weirdness confirmed, everyone.

Release Window:
"There are still several obstacles we need to overcome to launch those new titles, so we're not sure how many more years we need to build those, but we're looking forward to making an announcement in the future."

Update:

More on the Dark Souls-esque game: http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/09...t-ruling-out-working-on-dark-souls-like-games

"It doesn't necessarily mean he's not going to work on a Dark Souls-like game," explained a translator, "so he would definitely bring some of the good things - that could be some in-game elements, some of the product development experience - he would definitely bring those to a new Dark Souls-like game or Dark Souls-like franchise in the future."

When asked what he meant by a Dark Souls-like game, he explained, "It could be a dark fantasy game that has an element [...] of the accomplishment of overcoming difficulties, which is very unique to the Dark Souls franchise."

"From Software believes all the things we have learned in the past titles can be best reflected in the future only by starting work on a new franchise or series", he explained. "That's the philosophy behind us trying to make a decision about leaving the Dark Souls franchise."

Shengar

"The last thing is that another title will probably be a little bit weird. When we actually announce the title, probably fans will react with 'oh, what the hell is this very weird game that Miyazaki has created?'"

As for what that 'weird' game could be, Miyazaki offered only this: "So when I say weird, I mean that the genre we're trying to try might be a little bit weird. Not only that, but all the other actual game content might be a little bit weird, yes." Weirdness confirmed, everyone.

The children game that Miyazaki have craved to create!

wwm0nkey

While I like Armored Core and will 100% buy the new one (STEAM please!) I really want a new ChromeHounds already

I want more of that incredible vertically-stacked looping 3D Metroidvania-esque level design that Bloodborne mastered. And a new Armored Core. At least one is a guarantee.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Interesting. The Souls/Bloodborne series and 3D Dot Game Heroes have made me a fan of From Software, so I'm very excited to see what they come up with next.

Orpheum

Really excited about armored core!! Let the Souls franchise rest for a bit, you're doing the right thing.

Raylan

Banned
Game 1 (The dark fantasy Dark Souls-esque title):
The second thing is that one of the new titles I've been working on will probably comply with the expectations from the fans in straightforward manner.

PLEASE let it be Bloodborne 2 and not Dark Souls 4 -_-

Game 2 (Armored Core):
"Yeah, we're already working on Armored Core", but would not offer any more detail.
This screams PlayStation VR to me. Armored Core VR - Cockpit view

Zyrox

Dark fantasy? Complies with fan's expectations in a straightforward manner? Sounds like Bloodborne 2 to me.

Yay, seems like we're definitely getting something the Dark Souls mold. I'm super happy about that, i was worried about getting burned out but i'm really not. Though i do hope its Bloodborne 2 or a new Ip in the Dark Souls style.

First game doesn't sound to interesting to me if it's another souls style game. Have they said if that's a new ip as well or only the third one

Mupod

If it were any other series I'd be wary about Armored Core after V. But that series is so up and down that the quality of one title has no bearing on the next. And From has been very consistent with Souls lately. So hype I guess!

cireza

With three games at once, they must have their hands full and won't work on anything else before long.

Raylan

Banned
They said it's not Dark Souls 4, but I suspect it's not Bloodborne 2 either, and instead another "new" IP in the same vein.

God, I hope it's Bloodborne 2. The IP is just too good. Sales-wise, it should be around 3 million worldwide. To let the IP die after only one game would be terrible. Give us more, Sony/From Software!!!! >:-(

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
All kidding aside, I actually wouldn't mind From doing a more lighthearted adventure game.

A few years back I think Miyazaki was actually talking about how he wanted to make something brighter and more colorful (and presumably more cheery), so I suspect the third IP is that.

MGrant

I think Sony would be straight up dumb to not have a Bloodborne 2 deal brewing with From. That being said, I don't think we'll see it announced until 2018 at the earliest. A new Souls-like multiplatform IP, Armored Core, and the Weird Game will come out first.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I'll buy whatever they release, so.....

Top Bottom