• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From the newest Edge: map in X more than 5 times bigger than in Xenoblade on Wii

pvpness

Sounds great. Xenoblade was fantastic and the map was one of the highlights. Really looking forward to this one. Would be super cool if they had some co-op goin on in that gigantic map.

Hugstable

Banned
5 times bigger than Xenoblade?!?!?!? *Drools*

I need this game Nintendo! Please just give me more! I hope with the Shulk leak for Smash that we might have a chance to Xenoblade HD also, don't have a classic controller pro so I'm basically forced to play it with the Wiimote+ Nunchuku combo on my Wii U, plus the game always has really bad sound and audio problems for me whenever I try to play it in Dolphin. I need more Xeno anything!

Does this explain the reason why the latest trailer looks visually less refined than the previous ones?...

Please watch the treehouse footage

http://youtu.be/qKKiODpn6Fg?t=13m22s

I just watched the X treehouse footage for the first time last night, and the game does not look good to me, visually. Only the scale impresses.

Who said anything about impressing anybody?

They said the game looked downgraded.
Treehouse proved this wasn't the case.

Thanks for finding the top gif from the original reveal. I think this is the closest comparison I can find:

January 2013
awajv0.gif

June 2014
yplnal.gif

No one is expecting this to look as impressive as current gen PS4/XBone, but what we have looks great for what it's working on.

Pharaun

I want this game soooo bad, but I have no idea when I'm going to have the time to play it. The exploration alone in maps of that size is going to be amazeballs.

Rich!

Sounds great. Xenoblade was fantastic and the map was one of the highlights. Really looking forward to this one. Would be super cool if they had some co-op goin on in that gigantic map.

I always thought Xenoblade would be absolutely perfect for online co op

would have made some of the boss battles so much more epic, especially with the chain attacks.

Hopefully Monolith Soft will be able to create maps that are as varied and interesting as the Xenoblade ones. The only one I found borderline boring was Valak Mountain.

Also, Xenoblade notably lacked a desert area. I guess X may have one.

Great, now the side quests will be even more unbearable.

More than 5 times more side quests!! LOL

I love the vastness of Xenoblade, but it takes a damn long time to go anywhere. Hopefully mechs are significantly faster.

You know you can teleport to all previously visited areas, right? I saw multiple times on GameFAQs & co. people saying they'd travel from the beginning to the end of maps to go back somewhere because they didn't know they could teleport. It baffled me.

onilink88

Ask Xenoblade fans what the best aspect of the game was, and the answer would almost unilaterally be the size and quality of the environments (and the exploration of them that ensues). What they're doing in X is giving us more of that. Why would you complain about that considering there will be dashing, fast travel, and mechs to facilitate movement?

Also, for anyone that thinks they're being deceptive:

Rich!

Hopefully Monolith Soft will be able to create maps that are as varied and interesting as the Xenoblade ones. The only one I found borderline boring was Valak Mountain.

valak mountain is fun, it's just constant jumping all the way down wheeeee

You know you can teleport to all previously visited areas, right? I saw multiple times on GameFAQs & co. people saying they'd travel from the beginning to the end of maps to go back somewhere because they didn't know they could teleport. It baffled me.

yeah what the hell, the game tells you with a full screen notice as soon as you get to the first Gaur Plains landmark, or maybe even before that.

Man, if you can go inside houses and buildings then this game's size is insanity.

wouldn't bank on that - as amazing as xenoblade is, the towns are basically empty shells. X may be different though

Mesoian

Ask Xenoblade fans what the best aspect of the game was, and the answer would almost unilaterally be the size and quality of the environments (and the exploration of them that ensues). What they're doing in X is giving us more of that. Why would you complain about that considering there will be dashing, fast travel, and mechs to facilitate movement?

Also, for anyone that thinks they're being deceptive:

You know what's really funny and had never crossed my mind until I saw that composite picture?

I really want this on PC for modding purposes.

But yeah, day 1, and those vehicles better be functional. Mechs are great, we're here for mechs, there are obviously going to be times where you don't have a mech, so maybe we jump on an ATV or a jeep and go exploring.

Awww shieeeeet. How much do we know of X's story? I feel like that's the make or break for me. Everything else seems on point.

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE OPERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

AdanVC

This sounds incredible! So that's why the game was delayed to 2015. Xenoblade landscapes in HD will be glorioussss ah!!

HUELEN10

I think I'm going to have to buy a Wii U next year. Just have no choice.
I wonder if the store.nintendo.com "refurbs" will dwindle in supply by then; I expect them to go around the time Smash hits.
I want this game soooo bad, but I have no idea when I'm going to have the time to play it. The exploration alone in maps of that size is going to be amazeballs.
Well, you won't have to buy it quickly like its predecessor this time as the eShop's now a thing, so there's that!

Yeah, I need to find time to play Xenoblade. I know it's not really my type of game, but I still wanna beat it.

The important thing to note here:
Because it's monolith, I have faith that this 5 times bigger world will still be a high quality world thats worth a damn walking in and not just a stupid marketing gimmick.

Haunted

It's all relative in the videogame world, given that you have vehicles in this and your traversal speed will automatically be at least 5 times higher, this won't change much in terms of traversal and exploration.

That said, what was so impressive about Xenoblade was its sense of scale and the sense of place. Pulling that off isn't easy even if you dump someone in a big map. Having the two giants was such a fucking genius premise. The fallen hand island location might be the single coolest location I've explored last generation.

ohlawd

how about 5x the quality for the character models

/s

I'm hyped, man. I give few passes for open world games and X will be one of them.

Pharaun

Well, you won't have to buy it quickly like its predecessor this time as the eShop's now a thing, so there's that!

Yeah, I need to find time to play Xenoblade. I know it's not really my type of game, but I still wanna beat it.

I'll still get the physical release because I'm not sold on buying digital stuff until digital ownership rights are better defined. My bigger problem is that I rarely have time to sit down and play a 100+ hour epic game. I'll figure out a way to get to it though.

RPGCrazied

I just hope they don't make the gas/fuel for these Dolls uber expensive. Is teleporting around still going to be a thing? Seems kinda useless if you have flying mechs that turn into motorcycles.

Squalor

Why?

Bigger != Better...
That's the prevailing sentiment whenever a Souls, Grand Theft Auto, or Elder Scrolls game is revealed to be "X" times larger.

But for this, NeoGAF is "OHMYGAWD!"

Bigger is fine. I hope they actually populate X with worthwhile characters this time.

Akai

I just hope they don't make the gas/fuel for these Dolls uber expensive. Is teleporting around still going to be a thing? Seems kinda useless if you have flying mechs that turn into motorcycles.

The most recent footage which showed the Doll in combat didn't have the fuel meter, so I'm hoping they scrapped it completely...

Glass Rebel

the fuck

if it's as impressive as Xenoblade and they can fill it with fun stuff to do, cool. I hope they aren't just making it bigger for the sake of being bigger.

udivision

If you have Rare Monsters, Weather/Time of Day affecting Monster Encounters, and various quests that spawn unique monsters as well, having a big massive world to dump them in is a no-brainer. Throw in the fact that some monsters will be a lot more powerful than you and the beauty of the actual landscapes, exploration in an RPG can be a wonderful thing.

Of course, what really ties it all together is the sense of scale. All of these elements without a sense of scale is just... well, Pokemon.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
oh shit, it took me forever to explore all of Xenoblade

DJIzana

I don't get why people are upset about this.

1. You can travel via mechs.

2. There will hopefully also be fast travel for those that don't like to explore.

3. I personally love to explore. The bigger the map, the more of a chance we have for more secrets and even more diverse environments.

Top Bottom