• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From the newest Edge: map in X more than 5 times bigger than in Xenoblade on Wii

Mother of god...

So fucking hyped for this game!

The scale of the world was already incredible in Xenoblade too, so much hype from this.

For as long as there are interesting party members, it wouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, it may be up to the party members to be even better then possibly.

My only fear with this game is that you won't connect as much with the character than with Shulk since it's user-created. Everything else looks stellar, I'm enjoying the PSO vibes I get from the game.

:)

Same here. I love a main protagonist that actually has something to say.

That being said, a poster above reminded me that one of my favorite RPGs (Chrono Trigger) has a character that doesn't speak.
I'm not saying it will be as great as CT, but I'm going to at least keep an open mind about it, instead of being negative like I was when I first heard about it.

Yeah, everything else is really hype building, I'm curious how this works out.

There's something worth noting:

The default male MC voice actor is 浅沼 晋太郎 (Shintaro Asanuma), Shulk's voice actor, and during the story trailer, there's a line that goes, "So... Does that mean we're basically dead already?" that's spoken by him.

Interpret that as you will.

Interesting.

Joqu

If they want their systems to be viable, they have to fund games like this.

I agree but these sort of games aren't cheap and Xenoblade sold well but it wasn't huge by any means. I'm glad they didn't chicken out, a studio like Monolith Soft shouldn't go to waste.

I just hope it manages to sell decently, the Wii U's future looked way more rosy back when this started development. :x

sublimit

Banned
Mercedes Doll DLC for Xenoblade X?
lol

I don't think this game is going to review well. No one is going to have time to play it. O__O

Yeah but they will have more than enough time to whine about the character faces. :/

ugoo18

Xenoblade wasn't that big when it came down to it.

At least for a game set up in the body of a giant robot, it was just a bunch of somewhat large areas. You can climb from the robot knee to the head in like half an hour, which makes little sense.

While the game is great, I expected a bigger, more connected map.

Wasn't that big?

It took me over an hour to reach the halfway point of the world.

Running from the Military district in Colony 9 to the end of Valak mountain (Right before entrance to Sword Valley) which is about the half way point of the world took me 71 minutes and 35 seconds.

From the Military District to Colony 9 to the end of Valak mountain is roughly 33.5 km, that is Bionis more or less covered in 71 minutes and 35 seconds.

I did this right before finishing the game so i could not do the other half of the world (Mechonis) or Sword Valley which connects the Bionis and Mechonis because of the
Mechonis Core Event which prevents you from accessing areas in Mechonis

I also did not do the fallen arm or Prison Island (Forgot about them :/). I really wish someone would do the Mechonis part of the world because as much as i love the game i don't think i can be bothered playing it again just for that.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Mother of god...

viauda.gif

rdxomq.gif

egidva.gif

owersz.gif

olosrp.gif

My apologies to all mobile users
Oh God

DJIzana

Just make sure to fill it with cool stuff (Treehouse footage looks good so I'm on board) and I'll be happy!

Would be cool to see if we could go under the waterfall in the main area or something. Add more hidden vistas like in Xenoblade or even content underwater too. We know there's swimming but would be awesome to have underwater stuff to do or even a doll that would function underwater as well.

Hisoka

I want this game NOW

5 times bigger, so i need 5x more time to complete it, since i love to search and step on every little centimeter i'm able to.

Tears of joy, i love it already

Edit: My bad, lets see if this game stops at 999.59 minutes

Would be cool to see if we could go under the waterfall in the main area or something. Add more hidden vistas like in Xenoblade or even content underwater too. We know there's swimming but would be awesome to have underwater stuff to do or even a doll that would function underwater as well.

I'm hoping secret areas make a return, exploring, finding a cool hidden place, and being awarded massive EXP just for making the journey and enjoying the view was a great part of Xenoblade.

onilink88

Really want to know the budget of this game. This is no doubt going to be among the most costly games they've ever produced (might even be the costliest).

ElFly

Wasn't that big?

It took me over an hour to reach the halfway point of the world.

Am I supposed to be impressed? Check where colony 9 is

Colony_9_Location.jpg

aka around the knee

valak 9, around the fucking arm

Valak_Mountain_Location.jpg

There are some skips but if the world is supposed to be those robots, that simple voyage should have been way longer.

The game has some big areas, sure, but clearly it skipped away the cheer scale of how big the robots should be; sword valley in particular seems claustrophobic for being where the mechonis sword hits the bionis,yet you see the mechonis in the distance and it really isn't that far away.

Five times larger is good but I hope they don't sacrifice level design in favor of level quantity. I'd be happy if the maps weren't nearly that large but were very detailed.

ugoo18

Colony_9_Location.jpg

aka around the knee

Valak_Mountain_Location.jpg

There are some skips but if the world is supposed to be those robots, that simple voyage should have been way longer.

Because humans in Xenoblade move at our speeds with our limited stamina?

What your saying would be true if it was your average person or something. Your entire party sprints/runs that entire distance. Heck based on the distance and time of my run the party was covering 7.9 meters per second if my math isn't off. That's just under the current 100m world record. Yet they do that continuously without stopping.

The current 10,000m world record is 26 minutes and 17 secs, over the same distance as my party that would come to 78+ mins. My party was out doing world record pace for the distance they covered.

onilink88

Five times larger is good but I hope they don't sacrifice level design in favor of level quantity. I'd be happy if the maps weren't nearly that large but were very detailed.

What we've seen is far bigger and far more complex than anything in Xenoblade. And this time around, you actually can go to anything you see because of the Dolls's ability to fly. It's already objectively trumped Xenoblade in both horizontal and vertical design.

MisterHero

aka around the knee

The game has some big areas, but clearly it skipped away the cheer scale of how big the robots should be; sword valley in particular seems claustrophobic for being where the mechonis sword hits the bionis.
XB1's world is bigger than the final product. There's at least 1 big section removed from Guar Plains. The scale of the giants compared to certain areas can be seen in the epic mid-game battle.
like the soldiers falling off of Sword Valley

As for XBX's world... it's not the same one built from Mechonis and Bionis. It COULD be based on our real world earth (United States references) AND/OR the world from XB1's ending.

ElFly

Because humans in Xenoblade move at our speeds?

What your saying would be true if it was your average person or something. Your entire party sprints/runs that entire distance. Heck based on the distance and time of my run the party was covering 7.9 meters per second if my math isn't off. That's just under the current 100m world record. Yet they do that continuously without stopping.

Yeah your party is super fast but I am not measuring in time travelled as much as in how big things should be/look.

Feel Sword Valley is actually the biggest offender, since you are in between two monstrous giant beings, and yet they don't look that big,and the area is super small. If you look at the "general position map" that shows where you are in the robots, as you arrive to each area, you will see that the Mechonis sword is almost as long as the robots are tall. Shit should be literally a country away.

Checking, seems they left out the shoulder of the bionis, but it is still in the disc. Maybe that offers a proper scale to the game.

wrowa

Yeah your party is super fast but I am not measuring in time travelled as much as in how big things should be/look.

Feel Sword Valley is actually the biggest offender, since you are in between two monstrous giant beings, and yet they don't look that big,and the area is super small.

Checking, seems they left out the shoulder of the bionis, but it is still in the disc. Maybe that offers a proper scale to the game.

Xenoblade's world is pretty big by all accounts. You are just taking the world's concept way too serious. :p

Xenoblade's world is pretty big by all accounts. You are just taking the world's concept way too serious. :p

That's all, really. I mean, the map is fucking huge, being proportional or not to how the gods really are. Making absolute sense or not does not make the map smaller.

ugoo18

Feel Sword Valley is actually the biggest offender, since you are in between two monstrous giant beings, and yet they don't look that big,and the area is super small. If you look at the "general position" you will see that the Mechonis sword is almost as long as the robots are tall. Shit should be literally a country away.

So it's the proportions you're against?

Sword Valley isn't super small.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FQW2ojet4k#t=152

You can see a sense of the size of it during the zoom out in the opening cut scene.

And here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAYBui5ghJ0#t=337

What do you mean a country away, define a country size for you because there are countries that would fit within the distance my party covered.

The guys demoing X on the Nintendo Treehouse at E3 said in one if the segments that they were playing the demo before the show and were trying to find the end of the game world.

In that open area where all those huge monsters and ocean are, they took their character and swam out into the water and kept swimming and swimming for over 15 minutes and never found any invisible walls or limits to the size of the world. Fucking nuts.

Min0

This game has been in development since the end of 2010. Thats's a lot.
People worried about lack of content or a badly designed world should ease their worries.

Yarbskoo

I hoping this doesn't mean the environments aren't as well crafted as the first Xenoblade's. With Xenoblade, not only were the major areas distinct from one another, but within each area there were sections that looked very different than other sections.

It's kind of hard to explain, but Xenoblade's environments felt like they were constructed, while Skyrim's environments, for example, felt generated. Xenoblade's environments felt almost handmade in a way. They were less natural, but more thoughtfully constructed to be varied and visually impactful.

I like what I've seen so far, I just hope they don't use flying mechs as a substitute for good environment design. I want to be able to get to high places on foot, because I think walking through caves and cliff-side paths is more engaging than holding down the glide button for a few seconds. I feel like climbing to the distant fingertip in Xenoblade would have been less exciting if I could have just flown up there.

I guess I'm just trying to say I hope they don't focus so much on the overall size of the world that they forget the small sub areas that make exploring so rewarding.

This game has been in development since the end of 2010. Thats's a lot.
People worried about lack of content or a badly designed world should ease their worries.

That's roughly the same development time as Xenoblade Wii, yet it's supposed to have areas “more than 5 times bigger”, not to mention the fact that creating HD assets requires more time, so it is understandable that there are worries.

ElFly

So it's the proportions you're against?

Sword Valley isn't super small.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FQW2ojet4k#t=152

You can see a sense of the size of it during the zoom out in the opening cut scene.

And here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAYBui5ghJ0#t=337

What do you mean a country away, define a country size for you because there are countries that would fit within the distance my party covered.

Dunno if you can actually see the whole sword there?

Internet is telling me the designers said the gods are supposed to be as big as the japan archipielago -hard to source this-, which while not the biggest country, is not small by any means.

The cutscene on the sword should show an area around half japan long. Instead you see a big enemy quadreped robot, then the area around it is covered in clouds and squirreled away before you can notice anything.

Think a poster earlier said it better; the game is big, but does not do justice to the mind boggling concept.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I'm near the end of Xenoblade and at 100 hours, it's gonna be maybe about 30 roughly before I finish it off. This game will be an easy 250 hours from that estimate.

Yonafunu

There's something worth noting:

The default male MC voice actor is 浅沼 晋太郎 (Shintaro Asanuma), Shulk's voice actor, and during the story trailer, there's a line that goes, "So... Does that mean we're basically dead already?" that's spoken by him.

Interpret that as you will.

fb0.jpg

Akai

As for XBX's world... it's not the same one built from Mechonis and Bionis. It COULD be based on our real world earth (United States references) AND/OR the world from XB1's ending.

It's not Earth, considering in the E3 trailer humans are ESCAPING the planet trying to escape the crazy alien battle going on above it...
so basically Earth gets screwed AGAIN
. In fact, that brings up an interesting point...
Earth was destroyed in the development of Xenoblade's world, so did Shulk's wish reestablish the universe that existed prior to Klaus' intervention?

onilink88

Haha, I'm surprised it took you guys that long. :p

It's not Earth, considering in the E3 trailer humans are ESCAPING the planet trying to escape the crazy alien battle going on above it...
Earth was destroyed in the development of Xenoblade's world, so did Shulk's wish reestablish the universe that existed prior to Klaus' intervention?

Post from the E3 thread:

I'm not denying that Takahashi's going to bring back some recurring themes of the Xeno series (pretty evident he is by the story trailer), and even assuming the Treehouse guys are not fully aware of Takahashi's direction for the plot, there exists a couple of major disconnects between Xenoblade's world and X's that more or less prevent any kind of continuity between the two.

Major end-game spoilers:
It's important we understand what Shulk and Alvis have done at the end of Xenoblade, and what happens to the world as a consequence. Shulk asks Alvis to recreate the universe so that it no longer needs Gods like Zanza and Meyneth. However - and this is an incredibly important nuance - he does not restore it to it to its previous natural state. Why do I say that, and why is that important? There are still remnants of Klaus's perversion of the universe's natural laws, one namely being ether. Ether still exists at the end of Xenoblade; they use High Entian technology (and tech. in Xenoblade's world is powered by ether) to restore Fiora's body.

Now, with that in mind, take a look at this:

The attack the Doll uses to to decapitate the アンフィコエリアス (Amphicoelias, which is now called アダマン・ミレザウロ - Adamant Millesaur in English, I thnik - as a pointless aside), 反物質バスタード (近接), translates to "Antimatter Bastard (close-range/melee/whatever)". Antimatter is the key term there. It tell us what kind of technology they're using, but more importantly, it tells us that X's world abides by the natural and correct laws of the universe and the scientific principles that we understand based on them, as opposed to Xenoblade, where everything consists of ether and not matter.

Furthermore and continuing off of my first point, Earth is not restored to its pre-Klausfuckery state; the Earth as we know it, with all of its countries, peoples, etc. - the same Earth (of the distant future) that explodes in X - is simply not the same as the one that's reborn at the end of XB.

What X is, from what I'm seeing, is a game that incorporates an amalgamation of certain ideas and premises from past games, but largely remains its own thing. Now, it's true that Takahashi's said that he always leaves room for sequels in his works, and we could get a veritable Xenoblade sequel at some future point, but right now, there's this enormous gap between the worlds of this these two games for me to think that they're in any way related.

Min0

That's roughly the same development time as Xenoblade Wii, yet it's supposed to have areas “more than 5 times bigger”, not to mention the fact that creating HD assets requires more time, so it is understandable that there are worries.

In which they had to make a battle system from scratch and revolutionize the usual Takahashi's approach to game design.
This is a "more of the same" sequel that will take more amount of development time then the prequel, this suggests to me that the game will be full of content. It is in HD, sure, but the development team is surely way bigger now then it was then.

Akai

Now, it's true that Takahashi's said that he always leaves room for sequels in his works, and we could get a veritable Xenoblade sequel at some future point, but right now, there's this enormous gap between the worlds of this these two games for me to think that they're in any way related.

But they have to be related in some form or fashion due to the Nopon tease at the end of the E3 trailer. Unless, of course, MonolithSoft just doesn't give a crap and wanted to bring back the Nopon back regardless of whether it made sense or not...

GC|Simon

I can't believe this. Xenoblade's world is HUGE. 5x the size? Impossible.

OMFG! HYPE! 2015 IS TOO DAMN FAR AWAY!

ugoo18

Dunno if you can actually see the whole sword there?

Internet is telling me the designers said the gods are supposed to be as big as the japan archipielago -hard to source this-, which while not the biggest country, is not small by any means.

The cutscene on the sword should show an area around half japan long. Instead you see a big enemy quadreped robot, then the area around it is covered in clouds and squirreled away before you can notice anything.

Think a poster earlier said it better; the game is big, but does not do justice to the mind boggling concept.

I've seen that quote myself as well.

Considering the size of the sword compared to the Bionis and how long it took my party just to get to the sword i wouldn't be surprised if it took a similar amount of time to cross the sword as it did to run from Colony 9 to the end of Valak mountain.

Actually less time since a portion of the sword is unreachable because of how far the tip is from the point you enter it.

onilink88

But they have to be related in some form or fashion due to the Nopon tease at the end of the E3 trailer. Unless, of course, MonolithSoft just doesn't give a crap and wanted to bring back the Nopon back regardless of whether it made sense or not...

lol

The Nopon I can't really explain, so I'm just going to say that they brought back XB's mascot... just because. :p

MisterHero

I'm assuming for now that it was just built on the remains of Bionis and Mechonis. There are landmarks in XBX's world that make me want to believe that. Most significantly, Neo Los Angeles highly resembles the village on Fallen Arm. And there's a structure that looks a lot like the Mechonis Capital City flipped on its side.

BELIEVE

Akai

I'm assuming for now that it was just built on the remains of Bionis and Mechonis. There are landmarks in XBX's world that make me want to believe that. Most significantly, Neo Los Angeles highly resembles the village on Fallen Arm. And there's a structure that looks a lot like the Mechonis City flipped on its side.

BELIEVE

Neo Los Angeles itself is just the "escape pod" that ejected from the U.S. vessel that crash-landed on the planet (which is seen in the initial cutscene of the Treehouse demo). It's possible that the land masses are
the remains of the Bionis/Mechonis, but it doesn't explain why Earth exists when it was blown up prior to Xenoblade, unless it was brought back by Shulk, which it doesn't seem like it was. That in addition to the Nopon returning makes the state of the universe a big clusterfuck that I'm sure will be explained in the game in one manner or another...

Minions

Keeping my hype in check. I have no issue with the new game being 5x larger than the biggest map, however I'd be surprised if it was 5x larger than all of Xenoblades maps combined.

I'd love to be wrong, but I'm still not going in expecting the game to some how be 5x larger than xenoblade. Regardless this is a day one purchase for me.

Has Monolith Softs team grown at all?

Also, the whole team have years of experience under their belt on making an Xenoblade game. So development on this new game should go smoother.

ugoo18

Didn't they get a head start on learning about HD development compared to other Nintendo studios in order to avoid the teething problems that Japanese studios generally faced during the HD transition.

Instro

Has Monolith Softs team grown at all?

Also, the whole team have years of experience under their belt on making an Xenoblade game. So development on this new game should go smoother.

Yes, but presumably they are getting assistance from other internal Nintendo teams as well.

Top Bottom