• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From the newest Edge: map in X more than 5 times bigger than in Xenoblade on Wii

chadboban

Mother of god...

viauda.gif

rdxomq.gif

egidva.gif

owersz.gif

olosrp.gif

My apologies to all mobile users

tumblr_ml252mhGRm1qedlsro1_250.gif

I cannot... release this already, how am I supposed to wait man? CMON!

Xenoblade is my favorite RPG in fucking years, up there with Chrono Trigger, even if CT is still first. Gotta do my best to keep myself alive and well.

Instro

I don't get why people are upset about this.

1. You can travel via mechs.

2. There will hopefully also be fast travel for those that don't like to explore.

3. I personally love to explore. The bigger the map, the more of a chance we have for more secrets and even more diverse environments.

Well it think its important to consider what made Xenoblade's areas so great. Each area had a ton of unique geography combined with interesting art and cool locals due to each map being self contained and not being overly huge. I think its fair to be a little concerned about the effect of significant sprawl being added to the equation. Having said that I don't think it will be an issue given what we've seen so far.

chadboban

I was looking for these!

Thanks!

Love the custom armor in that last gif

Optional Female main character Ubisoft, with different run animations too.
Wii-u =Next gen

:p

No problem dude. I'm still not sure if I'll go for a guy or girl in my first playthrough. If I can give the guy a beard I'll likely go with a guy, but at the same time I REALLY want to be Space Rihanna!

Ooccoo

My only fear with this game is that you won't connect as much with the character than with Shulk since it's user-created. Everything else looks stellar, I'm enjoying the PSO vibes I get from the game.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
My only fear with this game is that you won't connect as much with the character than with Shulk since it's user-created. Everything else looks stellar, I'm enjoying the PSO vibes I get from the game.
Why not?

As far as I know, the voice of the character is preset. and just like Xenoblade, all cut scenes here are rendered in real time, so it will be basically the same; the only thing you change is the outside appearance of the character; and you did this in part in the original game.

No problem dude. I'm still not sure if I'll go for a guy or girl in my first playthrough.
If I can give the guy a beard I'll likely go with a guy, but at the same time I REALLY want to be Space Rihanna!

:)

Same here. I love a main protagonist that actually has something to say.

That being said, a poster above reminded me that one of my favorite RPGs (Chrono Trigger) has a character that doesn't speak.
I'm not saying it will be as great as CT, but I'm going to at least keep an open mind about it, instead of being negative like I was when I first heard about it.

udivision

Why not?

As far as I know, the voice of the character is preset. and just like Xenoblade, all cut scenes here are rendered in real time, so it will be basically the same; the only thing you change is the outside appearance of the character; and you did this in part in the original game.

The character doesn't talk.

SeanTSC

Why not?

I hope so. I really dislike it when big RPGs like this don't have the protagonist actively participating in the conversations and scenes. How they did Ludger in Xillia 2 is a total put off too and takes me out of the game. If X is like Mass Effect then that's great though.

Akai

My only fear with this game is that you won't connect as much with the character than with Shulk since it's user-created.

True, but at the same time I feel it's a worthy sacrifice to have the feeling it's your own character interacting with the world, its inhabitants, and your squad mates rather than watching the action from afar. Especially so if affinity is back (which it most assuredly is)...

Oh ho ho, please tell me this was intentional...

Alric

It might possibly be a little too much because Xenoblade was big enough as it was. Hopefully the Mech parts add some awesome flavor to it.

random25

For as long as there are interesting party members, it wouldn't be a problem.

onilink88

There's something worth noting:

The default male MC voice actor is 浅沼 晋太郎 (Shintaro Asanuma), Shulk's voice actor, and during the story trailer, there's a line that goes, "So... Does that mean we're basically dead already?" that's spoken by him.

Interpret that as you will.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Oh man... as if I couldn't possibly want this game any more than I already do... I'm hoping it re-unites a fire under all those other Japanese RPG developer asses :p

random25

There's something worth noting:

The default male MC voice actor is 浅沼 晋太郎 (Shintaro Asanuma), Shulk's voice actor, and during the story trailer, there's a line that says, "So... Does that mean we're basically dead already?" that's spoken by him.

Interpret that as you will.

Hmmmmmm...well let's save it when there is a good amount of info regarding the story.

Hope it's as well designed as Xenoblade's world though. The larger a map is, the harder it becomes to make it interesting and fun to explore. I have faith in Monolith Soft though.

Anyone know if anything else of note was in this interview?

Map size means next to nothing without some context. Need to know more about what's actually in the world before I can gauge if this is good, bad or neither. It's probably good though.

Hope it's as well designed as Xenoblade's world though. The larger a map is, the harder it becomes to make it interesting and fun to explore. I have faith in Monolith Soft though.

Opening sections (treehouse footage) already looked interesting on foot.

I'm not worried. We got NA Xenoblade on Wii like 1.5+ years after JPN.
They've been in development for a long time. More than enough time than most AAA games that have come out in the past.

Anyone know if anything else of note was in this interview?

Map size means next to nothing without some context. Need to know more about what's actually in the world before I can gauge if this is good, bad or neither. It's probably good though.

Xenoblade Wii is our context.

But for those who haven't played it I can see how trying to compare to other open world games might not seem as impressive.

Mlatador

Banned

Hasn't X been in development for like 4 years already? That's plenty of time to fill the world with a lot of amazing stuff.

Joqu

Yum

I'm still somewhat surprised Nintendo's actually willing to fund another game like this but hey I ain't complaining.

ElFly

Xenoblade wasn't that big when it came down to it.

At least for a game set up in the body of a giant robot, it was just a bunch of somewhat large areas. You can climb from the robot knee to the head in like half an hour, which makes little sense.

While the game is great, I expected a bigger, more connected map.

Top Bottom